Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-04-2004, 06:30 PM   #1  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Default Need Walking Advise

Hello all,

I have just started back up walking again for exercise. I used to walk daily, then went back to work and did it less and less. Developed foot problems, and that kind of messed up the walking for a time. Feet are better now and so I am trying to get back into the walking. I have arthritis now which I didn't have before when I was walking. Anyway, I am on day 2 of resuming walking. I tried to kind of start out easy ~ walked for about 15 minutes yesterday. Did 1/2 hour today. I didn't felt that this was too much as I am a nurse and am on my feet and walking a good deal ~ so I am sort of used to walking, but my ankles and knees are bothering pretty bad. It makes me feel discouraged ~ I am trying to improve my health and do something good for myself, but wonder why (when I already walk and am on my feet at work) are my joints bothering so bad?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks ~ Gayle
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:32 PM   #2  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Default Walking...

It is so cool that you are hitting the Walking Trail.

Shoes. #1. How much are you on your feet? If a lot, then I would suggest going to your friendly neighborhood running store and getting fit properly for shoes. Use these shoes strictly for walking. They should fit you according to your gait and to your (don't know what else to call it) flat-footedness or high arch.

Sorry for asking. I'm 58 years old, so I'm entitled to ask. How old are you? Makes a difference. Good shoes. Right fit.

Weight. Again. Sorry for asking. I'm entitled. Good shoes. Right fit.

See this theme going? You may not actually have a joint problem... But then again, you may. Maybe you hit the Ole Walking Trail too vigorously. Take a rest. Get a good fit for shoes. And then start over again. Easy.

Gayle, you are a Hero for all of us because of the work you do. You Go, Girl!
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote