Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 08:49 AM   #1  

Default Weigh in at home 5/3 - 5/9

Sunshine – Welcome! Those are some great numbers!

Carla – 2 hotdogs for one point?? Did you try them yet? I used to love cocoa krispies – is there enough calcium to count as a milk? I’m glad to hear that the water weight is coming off.

I had a slight uptick on the scale – 0.4, the same amount I lost last time. I really didn’t stress about it but I gave myself a talking to about getting serious. I have a month until my fitness conference on June 4th and I really want to be at least 5 pounds lighter by then. I know my problem is evening snacking and I’m going to try to address it with my “knock it off” challenge. I’m going to try to structure my snacks more – one snack can be sort of junky, like a WW cone or a Klondike Slim Bear (our new favorite – 3 points but it counts as a milk). The other snack, if I have one, has to be a fruit. If I have anything else, it has to be veggies – in other words, no points. Hopefully, that will help address the fact that the scale goes up and it goes down but I never seem to get anywhere!

We had a lovely time with my parents on Saturday. My mom and I went shopping and while we definite “enabled” each other, we had a great time. I did have a piece of birthday cake but sent some of it home with my parents. The other piece Tony saved for himself but ended up throwing it out yesterday anyway – I was relieved to say the least. I still snacked a bit too much on Saturday night – I don’t know why, but I have about 20 FPs left for the week and my goal is to use no more than 2 per day. I didn’t use any yesterday so that was good start. I had a good weekend workout wise, and while I managed to study for tomorrow’s final most of yesterday, Tony and I did get some tennis in. I did not get up early to exercise today but will do something when I get home – probably an Ashtanga yoga workout. After tomorrow I have a week and a half off from grad school before the first summer semester starts – I can’t wait!

Have a great one,
Judy
163.6/154.8/135
66/240 workouts
Old 05-03-2004, 05:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 268.8/266.4/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi all.

Judy - Sorry to hear about the blip on the scale, but it will be gone next week. I had the hot dogs for dinner Friday night and they were good! I don't know if they can be found nationwide or not because they are marketed by a long-time local to Chicago hot dog place - Flukeys, which is also the name of the hot dog brand. As for the cereal bars, they hit the required percentage to count as a milk. By Klondike Slim Bear, are you referring to the ice cream sandwiches? I love those too, but I'll have to recheck the nutritional info. Last I calculated they were 2 points and not enough calcium for a milk, for one sandwich at least. I like your plan for one "junky" snack and all the rest have to be healthy. I'm going to give that a shot too. The other thing that I'm trying to do is to only count true dairy foods as a milk serving (which leaves out those cereal bars, but I'm gonna have them anyway). I've heard that while having dairy aids in weight loss, it has to be true dairy product. Getting calcium through other methods doesn't have the same effect. We'll see where that gets me.

Karen - I hope the strike is over and you're not still crazy busy at work.

My weekend was ok. I used up my remaining flex points and then some. Pizza (leftover from dinner for Ana and her babysitter Saturday night) and Chinese food were involved. But today is shaping up to be a low point day and I've been guzzling the water, so I don't think the Chinese food will end up doing me any harm on that account. My knee actually felt better today, so I may try the bike or a walk tomorrow. I'll have to see how it goes.

Have a great evening.

Carla
Old 05-03-2004, 06:56 PM   #3  

Carla - No, the Klondike Slim Bear that I was referring to is not a sandwich - it is ice cream with a chocolate coating - sort of an ice cream square. It has 20% calcium which is good enough for me. Yes, I've heard the same about the dairy calcium vs. other sources, but I figure the other calcium helps my bones any way. I'm glad the hotdogs were good - I doubt I could get them. I'm glad to hear that your knee is feeling better. I'll be glad for the company on the evening junk-limiting challenge. If I am tempted to stray, I will be thinking of you tonight!

I think it's going to end up a challenging week. Tomorrow, the PTA is giving us lunch (I have no idea what it is) and the school district is givinig us breakfast on Wed (that one is bagels) - all part of Teacher Appreciation Week. I'm going to try to eat low point around it but if I have to use FP's so be it. At least I can get in a lot of exercise. I did a 30 min Ashtanga yoga workout after work today and am going to try to get up early and do something before work. After tomorrow night's final, I have a week and a half break from grad school and can exercise after work without any problem.

Judy

Last edited by JudySP; 05-04-2004 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:25 AM   #4  

Good morning. Just a quick note to pat myself on the back - I had two snacks yesterday: an orange and a little bit of this very high fiber, high protein, high Omega-3 cereal I found at Trader Joe's last week. I've found the cereal to be amazingly filling (both for breakfast and as a snack) and although I was a tiny bit tempted to have something else late in the evening, I didn't. I don't know if it was the cereal or my challenge (hi Carla!) but I went to bed without giving in to the urge. I got up early this morning and did a 20 minute power yoga tape - I worked up a bit of a sweat. I wanted to re-set the alarm but then I remembered the lunch at school today and got myself out of bed!

Have a great one!
Judy
Old 05-04-2004, 10:58 AM   #5  
Canadian, eh?

Good Morning

Just a quick note to let you know I'm alive and well. The strike is over, but now there's tons of catch-up to do. Oh well! It was a long week, but the overtime on my pay will be nice.

Sunshine - I hope you'll join us!

Carla - hope your knee holds up for you today!

Judy - good going on snacking healthily!

Better get myself off to work now. I have a point friendly lunch packed, so today should be a good one.

Have a great day...
Karen
Old 05-05-2004, 03:18 PM   #6  

Hi all.

Judy - I'll pat you on the back too for that healthy snacking. Good for you, too, for going to bed without giving into the snacking urge and for getting up early yesterday to exercise. I see you were talking about the low fat version of the good old Klondike bar. I'll have to give those a try. I hear you on the dairy and believe me, there are lots of days I count on my non-dairy sources of calcium to get my requirements, but it gives me something to shoot for.

Karen - I'm glad to hear that the strike is over. Hope you get caught up soon. Treat yourself to something nice with some of that overtime.

My weigh-in this morning had me down about 4 pounds from last week's disaster. A couple of those pounds of water came back on from late last week, but my period is due within the next day or two, so that's not freaking me out. Today ended up being my "fun with medical tests" day. I started with my mammogram this morning and then moved on to my doctor's visit a bit later. My blood pressure looked good so he was happy that the combo of pills that I'm on are working. He suspects that my problems with my knee and ankle are arthritis, which I'm sure is the case since that's one of the maladys handed down in my family. So he ordered a bunch of xrays of the foot and ankle. He's a bit concerned about my left foot feeling cold (it feels cold to me, it's not cold to the touch) and the apparent diminished sensation on my left foot and leg that his poking and prodding turned up. It may be a pinched nerve, but could also be attribued to a number of things, some obvious, some not so. So he also ordered blood tests that led to me giving up six vials of blood. And since, as usual, my veins were not cooperating, it came out of my hand. Ouch. So I'm feeling a bit through the wringer right now, but determined to find my way back on the bike tomorrow.

Have a great afternoon/evening.

Carla
Old 05-06-2004, 12:49 AM   #7  
Canadian, eh?

Carla - Great loss - you should've weighed in after giving all that blood! You'd have been down another pound. Hope all your tests turn out well. I very often have the sensation that my feet are very cold; sometime to the point where they actually hurt; yet to the touch they don't feel cold at all. It's worse for me in the colder months - and I know how unpleasant it is.

I was down 1 lb from my this year's high point today, which was a pleasant surprise. A friend and I went to a new organic food store at lunch; I bought some organic chocolate covered almonds and ate the whole bag during the course of the afternoon. I should know better, of course.

I'm taking Friday off work to get caught up on some chores and groceries etc. We're going up to the property on the weekend to do some clearing and burning, so won't get a thing accomplished at home.

Hope you have a great day!

Karen
Old 05-06-2004, 08:34 AM   #8  

Karen – Congrats on the pound down. Hmmm, we must be on the same wavelength (not necessarily a good thing). I went to an organic food store last week and the naughtiest item I bought was dark chocolate covered raisins. I managed to put them in the top of the cabinet until my “boo-hoo for me” fest last night! I’m glad to hear that the strike is over. You must be pretty beat after that long week but enjoy the overtime!

Carla – ouch on all those vials of blood. I have lousy veins for blood tests and have had many sticks to the hand so I can sympathize! I hope all the tests turn out well. Glad to hear that the “disaster” pounds were down – I’m glad you’re not freaking about the water weight. I have the arthritis that runs in my family too so I try to keep moving but there are times (leading up to bad weather usually) where it’s very uncomfortable – I can sympathize there too!

I started off the day well. We had the “thank you” bagel breakfast at work and I only had half a bagel and then had some fruit. Our field trip to a 19th century restoration village had me doing quite a bit of walking but I did a short yoga workout when I got home. We were planning to have a fairly low point dinner of scallops and then I got a migraine – first one in a very, very long time. Well, Tony and I decided to keep the scallops for tonight and just have some toast & jelly once I had napped and felt a little better. Well, it turned into a carb-fest poor me kind of evening. I have a big ½ flex point left for the week – blech! My head is a bit sore this morning – I hope I can do a bit of cardio when I get home tonight. I have to guzzle water this morning – one of my “poor me” snacks were those darned baked Doritos that Tony came home with on a quick shopping trip and my rings are very, very tight.

Have a great one,
Judy
Old 05-06-2004, 05:54 PM   #9  

Hi all.

Karen - Congrats on the pound down! So you have the cold foot thing too... It's really perplexing my dr., especially since it's just in the left foot. It also happens to be my left knee and ankle that are bothering me, so who knows if its all related. I think my doc would be less disturbed my the cold foot thing if he didn't also notice a diminishment of sensation. Ah well, might just be a pinched nerve or something. Yum on those almonds. I'd probably eat the whole bag too. Have fun at your property this weekend and try to get some fun in between the chores on your day off.

Judy - So sorry to hear you got hit with a migraine. I haven't had a severe headache in about 13 years, but I still remember the pain and remember begging John to just kill me and put me out of my misery. And I was serious. I hope the soreness goes away soon. Ah, don't fret about the flex points. Did you factor in all the activity points you earned? At any rate, you'll make it through to Saturday just fine. Yep, bad weather is definitely a trigger for aches and pains for me. I've decided that I'm going to look into a yoga class designed for people with arthritis and in the fall when school starts again, I'll probably look into a water exercise class. My mom's been doing one for years and it really helps her.

I had a fairly good day point wise yesterday. I used a few flex points. Still my eating wasn't that great, but right now I'll take doing ok on points. Today I met a friend for lunch and we went for Mexican. That definitely took a toll on my points usage, but at least I journaled it all and I'm still fairly full, so I think it will be a light or no supper for me tonight. Tomorrow John and I are taking a class at the Calphalon Culinary Institute on matching wine with food so that will, of course, involve wine and food. I'll have to eat low points during the day. Sunday will be dinner at my cousin's house and breakfast with MIL if she doesn't join us. I'll have to work on making it not be a disaster.

Have a great evening.

Carla
Old 05-07-2004, 10:43 AM   #10  

Carla - oooh, that food and wine class sounds fantastic!! Good strategy to eat low point. I think finding a yoga class for people with arthritis will be great for you. I've found that upping my yoga practice has really helped the problems I was having earlier in the year. Good luck on the weekend plans. I have a similar kind of challenging weekend.

I had a terrible night last night - I didn't even count up the damage. Tony got a stomach bug after dinner but I don't know why that would have affected me (if it did) although it did mean I was alone most of the evening (still no reason to eat!) I've decided to go to my meeting but not weigh in - that way I will get some inspiration without the gnashing of teeth. I also have to figure out a way to break through this problem I'm having - I'm not moving down, if anything I've moved up in the last week. Maybe I have to just take it one day at a time instead of having a plan for the week (?)

We're taking my mom out for dinner tomorrow night for Mother's Day at our favorite Italian restaurant. I'm going to exercise a bunch and have fish. Sunday I'm meeting a friend at a mall but I think we'll have lunch at Applebee's so I should be able to find something point friendly. I think I'm going to try to check in tomorrow for some extra support - anyone want to check in with me?

Have a great one,
Judy
Old 05-07-2004, 02:13 PM   #11  

Hi all.

Judy - Sorry to hear you had a crummy night last night. If you find a way to break through, please let me know, because you know I'm pretty much in the same place you are. John has to work tomorrow night and I think I'll curl up on the couch with either "Think for Life" or "Make the Connection" and perhaps get some inspiration. Good luck with your dinner on Saturday and your lunch on Sunday. Applebees should be relatively safe. I'll be here tomorrow, for sure.

I had a pretty good rest of the day yesterday. I ended up snacking a bit and eating a couple of ff hot dugs for dinner. I used 10 flex points for the day, but considering I had Mexican for lunch, that's not too bad. I have 21 flex points left to see me through the weekend and the beginning of next week. We'll see how it goes. I think the food tonight will just be appetizers and the wine should be in tasting portions, so that should make things easier. My MIL is feeling better (she's been battling a bad head cold) so I hope we can convince her to come with us to my cousin's on Sunday. That will limit the food festivities, which will help alot.

Have a great day.

Carla
Old 05-07-2004, 04:43 PM   #12  
Canadian, eh?

TGIF! And I don't have to work today!

Judy - sorry to hear you're having such a rough time with snacking. Are you eating enough at dinner time? Could you load up your plate with veggies so you're *full* and less likely to eat later? Although it sounds like emotional eating, doesn't it? I'm relatively okay in the evenings, it's the after work time frame that kills me!

Carla - your wine pairing evening sounds fabulous. Hope you and John have a great time. I think that's a great idea to pull out some books for inspiration.

We're heading up to our property tomorrow morning, so I won't be checking in with you on the weekend - I'll be thinking aobut you though! I'm packing our lunch (much to Mike's dismay) to take with us to decrease fast food temptation en route. I've been running around doing errands all morning; stayed up much too late last night finishing a novel, so I think I'm going to head up to my nest for an afternoon nap!

Hang in there over the weekend!

Karen
Old 05-07-2004, 11:21 PM   #13  

Hello everyone and thank you for welcoming me. I weighed in at 151.5 this morning. I am only 1.6 from not being considered overweight for my 5'5" BMI.... I don't like that it doesn't take muscle into factor or anything but I know that. Seems like the closer I get to my goal (8.5lbs) the more I want to push it back to 138... we will see! Sorry so short everyone but I have to wrap a present still and be on the road tomorrow am for a bridal shower out of state! keep up the good work everyone! I know my eating won't be the best tomorrow but I won't gorge myself plus I have all of my Flex points still. I usually eat more, exercise none, and lose more weight over the weekend anyways!
Old 05-08-2004, 02:54 PM   #14  

Karen - Ha! I wish I left the dinner table hungry. Nope, it's definitely emotional eating. Have fun at your property - and good for you for packing lunch!! Road food isn't very good and is always high point.

Sunshine - congratulations on a great weigh in! Hey, why don't you decide what your goal is as you get there - you can always decide to lower it a little or keep it the same - whatever you think you'll be able to maintain.

I went to my meeting as planned and did not weigh in. I haven't come up with "the answer" yet. I've thought about trying to chew gum in the evening, "closing the kitchen" after one snack. I'll see - I've just worked out what I'm planning on eating tonight at the restaurant and I'll take it from there. I did a loooong yoga workout today and earned some AP's that should help. I confirmed that my friend and I are going to Applebee's tomorrow for lunch so that should be manageable.

Carla - how is the day going?

Take care and have a great weekend,
Judy
Old 05-08-2004, 07:05 PM   #15  

Hi all.

Karen - Hope you're having fun at the cabin. Good for you for packing your lunch.

Sunshine - Congrats on a great weigh-in. When you get closer to your current goal, you can decide if you want to push it back or not. No rush.

Judy - Sorry I didn't get here earlier. John was logged into work all day. Enjoy your dinner tonight and your lunch tomorrow. The different strategies you've proposed sound good.

We had a good time last night. And I've ended up with flex points left, which is great. They served five courses, but in tasting portions, so it didn't cause too much damage. I even tried my first scallop last night. I gave the other two to John, though. The taste was fine, but I wasn't liking the texture so much. I passed on the sushi and the tempura oysters, though. I was feeling bold, but not that bold. I'm on my way to a good OP day today and will do the best I can with tomorrow.

Have a great day all.

Carla
Closed Thread