South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 10:52 PM   #1  

Default Soup for phase 2, whats allowed?

I got the good carbs and bad carbs guide and it says chicken noodle is allowed which i found surprising since those noodles are obviously white floured based. I'm trying to figure out what carb to add back in for my first few weeks of phase 2 and i just realized i really miss having soups for lunch. Anyways how is it that chicken noodle and minestrone is allowed since both have pasta pieces in them. Is it because there are so few pasta bits in the soup that it doesn't cause damage. What do you think? I don't want to derail my progress so i just wanna make sure its ok to have it. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2004, 07:21 PM   #2  

I'd like to know, too. Some days I think just heating up a can of soup would be splendid! So do I put the Campbell's Chicken Noodle in to the "give-away" box or hang on to it?
Old 05-02-2004, 07:33 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I really don't know the answer to this one. Dr. A must allow them because of the small amount of flour. I notice that he says avoid for soups with potatoes, except for vegetable which has only a small amount.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:18 PM   #4  
WW Moderator

Progresso Lentil Soup is good, and so is their Black Bean Soup. Overall, I like Progresso the best. They have the most natural ingredient list of the major soups.

Watch Campbells, many of their soups have MSG in them.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:45 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

I second you, Jennifer! Progresso has some great soups! I wonder if Chicken and Wild Rice is okay on Phase 2...does it have regular rice in it too? Hmmm.

I love the black bean one you mentioned. It is super filling and really good. Just put a dollop of l/f sour cream on top and you have a heck of a good meal! (I suppose you need veggies, too, though...
Old 05-03-2004, 04:10 PM   #6  

Does anyone make there own? I usually make a huge pot of vegie soup in winter and eat it over the week. Soup mix is basically just lentils, split peas and barley so should be all right as it is good carbs. I guess if you trim the fat off the meat and use less starchy vegies it would be okay, especially on phase 2. Does anyone make there own or tried making soup on SB Diet?
Old 05-03-2004, 04:17 PM   #7  

i've been making lentil soup while on phase 1, hope thats ok! what i do is sautee some garlic and onions. add chicken stock and water and then put in the lentils. when its almost done i add some freshly diced tomatos. the spices i use are paprika, tumeric and cumin and salt. very yummy! but one day i had 3 bowls and the next day i gained a pound, but next day lost it. so i don't know if it just retains water cause i can't imagine it making me gain actual weight. i hope!

i was more concerned about the soups that have noodles in them like minestrone and chicken noodle cause i want to have them for lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chick_on_the_beach
Does anyone make there own? I usually make a huge pot of vegie soup in winter and eat it over the week. Soup mix is basically just lentils, split peas and barley so should be all right as it is good carbs. I guess if you trim the fat off the meat and use less starchy vegies it would be okay, especially on phase 2. Does anyone make there own or tried making soup on SB Diet?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:16 PM   #8  
WW Moderator

I don't make my own soups, but I would love to start. I hadn't thought about garlic and onion for seasoning. I only know how to make bean soup with fatback or a stick of butter! I'll have to try that, maybe with a good shower of black pepper!

At El Chico, they have frijoles rancheros...or some kind of frijoles. They are just soup beans with chopped onions, tomatoes and raw jalepenos for a garnish. OHHHHH they are good. I need to try that!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:06 PM   #9  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

S/C/G: 208/162/135

Height: 5' 2.5"

JENNIFER,
Do you know if Progresso has low sodium soups? I have high blood pressure (I'm only 23 ) and I would love to have soup but it's gotta be low sod. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:15 PM   #10  
WW Moderator

I don't know if they make a specific line of low sodium soups or not. I looked at my two cans and they had 730 and 750 mg of sodium per serving. Not too low!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:36 PM   #11  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

S/C/G: 208/162/135

Height: 5' 2.5"

Oh Jennifer! Thanks for checking! I'll check Walmart
Old 05-04-2004, 08:01 AM   #12  

I make a soup left over from my old WW days. You use v8 juice and add all kinds of good veggies. What ever you have,mushrooms, peppers, celery, spinach, cabbage, etc. Simmer a while and eat off of it all week.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:51 PM   #13  

Sodium is salt and it makes you retain water so you would expect to bloat up then lose the 'weight' a few days later. I guess if you drink lots of water you could minimise your water retention. But having said that most processed foods are higher in salt and sugar than natural food. This is why none of them are recommended.
Closed Thread