PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 01:44 PM   #1  
Rattie Lover

Talking PCOS Monthly Chat--May 2004

Happy 1st of May Day!! Yay!!

Hope everyone is doing well!! I hope I get to see you "lurkers" in here, chatting with us!! It was really nice to see all of ya in that other thread so don't be afraid to join us in this one. We really want you too!!

Well, time to start off the weekend and month by cleaning up this house! Then I have a bowling league party tonight. Fun Fun! What's everyone else up too?? Any special plans this weekend? This month?? I am judging a regional tournament out of town so we're turning it into a mini-vacation. My DD is flying away for summer vacation at the end of the month..She'll be gone for almost the whole summer. I'm looking forward to the break but I will miss her terribly!! I might have to sneak in a surprise trip to visit her.
Old 05-01-2004, 02:01 PM   #2  
Swimming Mouse

Well, May is going to be REALLY busy for me! 4 of my students from one school district have early school year meetings for their education plans, so I did two meetings per child for each of them in September/October. Their district decided that there were too many kids having meetings then, so they moved them to May... so I get to rewrite all the plans, and have another two meetings for each child! I also have one other student who traditionally has his meeting in May. So, that's 5 kids, or 10 meetings!

I also have training for a new software package we got in my classroom a few months back, plus hopefully getting the cast off my leg, and a doctor's appointment for something my endocrinologist wants me to have done. I'll share details about that later, because I'll probably want opinions (not advice, because we all know I probably won't listen to it!).

Oh, and in June I start back to graduate school at Johns Hopkins. I'll be working toward my doctoral degree in Curriculum & Instruction with a concentration in Assistive Techonology. I'm taking 6 credits this summer, which leaves me 24 more to go! Oh, and a dissertation.

At least during the summer, the kids are only there till 1:30 (instead of 2:30), and we're closed Fridays. Makes up for not getting a summer vacation, kind of... 3-day weekends are good.

Last edited by Anonymouse; 05-01-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:45 PM   #3  

Hello! Happy May Day!

I'm off to have dinner with my father, stepmother, and two half brothers.

May is going to be very busy with work and adjusting to treating the PCOS (I won't say living with it as I've been living with it so that's not new).

Today, just feeling very tired and run down. I've managed to do nothing but get a massage and sleep. This is the first day of the South Beach Diet for me so I don't know if that is the problem or not. I even felt flushed and took my temp, but it's 98 so that's not it either.

I found some great tasting sugar free hard candy, but it seems to make me sick. I have to say though, in terms of flavor, I'm really impressed with Splenda. We tried some ice cream last night and it was really very good.

I've also discovered that no,I don't like celery filled with cheese. Nope. And I bought two bunches. Hmmm. What to do with all that celery? I doubt I'll eat it and my husband hates it. It sounded like a good idea at the time...

Well, time to go!

Have a great day ladies!

Violet
Old 05-01-2004, 08:32 PM   #4  
Swimming Mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet30
I've also discovered that no,I don't like celery filled with cheese. Nope. And I bought two bunches. Hmmm. What to do with all that celery? I doubt I'll eat it and my husband hates it. It sounded like a good idea at the time...

Soup? Tuna Fish (with or without mayo, as your diet may describe)?
Buy a rabbit?

Old 05-02-2004, 04:05 AM   #5  
Rattie Lover

I've found that Splenda is one damn good sweetner myself. I think because it is based off of sugar without the sugar alcohols that usually cause me the intestional discomfort. I use it anytime I need a sweetner.

Hey..any one live in Iowa?? I found out today I am going to be judging the national tournament there!! We're going to make it into a week's vacation so I'd love to meet ya if you are close to Des Moines. Looks like I will be there July 28 till Aug. 2nd. I can't wait! The big tournaments are FUN!!

ROFLMAO @ buy a rabbit!! LOLOL!!

I'm sorry that got my funny bone!! Hahahahahaha!!!!!

Old 05-02-2004, 10:42 AM   #6  

Noodles: Does your body ever get used to Splenda? Things like Nutrasweet always gave me headaches and I kept trying to tell my doc that, but she kept pushing me to try other stuff. So I try Splenda and I was sick for over 10 hours yesterday. It tastes great but I guess my system can't handle it. Will it ever be able to?

Anonymouse--I think we'll have to go with the rabbit. I can't cook with it since DH hates it. The dogs will like the rabbit-so it's a win-win there!

Cheers

Violet
Old 05-02-2004, 03:19 PM   #7  
Rattie Lover

Violet: I am not sure why you had a problem with Splenda. I have never had a problem with it. Maybe it has something to do with it being not real sugar? I dunno. But Splenda isn't like Nutrasweet or Equal or Sweet & Low...It's not a sugar alcohol. Maybe just try a teensy bit at a time and see what it does? Like a teensy bit in coffee/tea? Start off small and go from there. If it still aggravates ya, you could always try Stevia. Thats all natural. It's a little expensive though... you can find it in health food stores.

Hey I meant to tell ya all...I managed to bowl 2 games Saturday night..itchy eyes and all!! I had a 217 & 167. Wouldn't ya know it later on that night the stitches that were itching my eyes fell out?? (Well one did, the other I got tweezers.) Figures AFTER I bowl they get un-itchy.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:47 PM   #8  

Noodles:

Congrats on the games, sorry your eyes were itchy. Murphys Law--no?

I should say I seem to do ok with the splenda ice cream.

It was three pieces of hard candy sweetened with Splenda that did me in.

I would like to try the Diet Rite, see how that goes over.

Well, off to see Mean Girls with hubby.

Hugs,

Violet
Old 05-02-2004, 05:02 PM   #9  
Rattie Lover

Yeah, Probably Murhphys Law. Always finds me somehow.

I LIKE those Blue Bunny drumsticks that are made with Splenda. Yummmmm....and under 200 calories!! I got hubby hooked on them by accident. He ate the whole damn box..tells me DANG those were good!!! I said ya and sugar-free too. He goes Yea?!! Mr. "Sugar Free stuff tastes nasty" man now happens to like stuff with Splenda as I found out the hard way and lost my drumsticks. I didn't even get a crumb!!!

I like Diet Rite! I don't hardly drink soda anymore though so I haven't had any in months. But when I get the craving for soda, I'll reach for Diet Rite. It doesn't have that weird after taste like other diet sodas.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:21 PM   #10  

Hi everyone,

Noodles girl, I am glad to see you are feeling better. I really missed you! It was far too quiet around here. Splenda, I am just not up to date with what it is actually made up of. I know it is a derivative of sugar. Any more knowledge to add? Is it better than nutrasweet? Lesh harsh on the liver? You know me and my "love thy liver" campaign. I don't want to overstress it with trying to process chemicals....

Your mini vacation sounds like fun! Enjoy.

Classes, disertations, technology? Not too much of a break but sounds like fun and at least you will be surround by adults verses kidlets which will be a nice treat!! When does summer break start? Our kids are out of school the end of June until the end of August. Sounds like your kids may get out earlier.

Hope everyone is doing well,

Jenaya
Old 05-03-2004, 03:27 AM   #11  
Rattie Lover

Hi Jenaya!! Thanks for the kind words!!

The kid gets out here May 20th. They get out in May and go back in August cause of the heat starting earlier here than everywhere else. At least that is what I was told. Then the next day we leave for 3 days so I can judge the Western Open Regional Qualifier. Then the weekend after is Memorial Day & DH Birthday so we're going to a little ghost town for the weekend get-a-way. Then after I'll be preparing for another mini vacation in San Diego with some friends, then Iowa, then in August, another mini vacation in Laughlin with my girlfriends. Sheesh!! It seems like its so far away but it just has a way of creeping up on you..FAST. Seems like last year I was just up there judging regionals...in dire pain cause of a malfunctioning uterus. At least I won't have THAT problem this year.

Ok off to see what I can find out about Splenda!! I shall return.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:38 AM   #12  
Rattie Lover

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40149

Here ya go...Splenda Q and A Information. I posted it in our Articles forum. Just click on the above link to get there.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:49 AM   #13  

Thanks Noodles!

Hi Jenaya. For me I don't think my liver ever gets a chance to see the Splenda as it went right thru me.

At least I could use Splenda as a weight loss food, it makes me so sick I can't bear the thought of food.

I'm on day three of the South Beach and I'm sick of protein already. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle this long term.

Well gotta run, the boss is spasing.

Have a great MOnday!

Violet
Old 05-03-2004, 01:31 PM   #14  

Hello everyone,

Noodles, you are such a darlin, thank you for finding the splenda info and posting it here. I appreciated it very much. You have one heck of a holiday planned - sounds like a blast. You have hit all three important things in life - fun, friends and family. Yes, I am sure it is getting pretty hot there and it is time for the kids to be out of school. Here, well, there still is a little snow flake every now and again. I am rebelling and wore capri pants and birkenstocks today and now I am freezing, turning the furnace back on and heading for my sweater drawer! Oh, I am truly a tough breed of woman!

Violet - stay clear of the splenda if your body is rejecting it. You must be very sensitive. I know I was very sensitive to nutrasweet but in using it I developed a tolerance - I am not saying that is a good thing because I am not sure that it is.

Have a great day everyone!

Jenaya
Old 05-03-2004, 01:33 PM   #15  

Oh, one more thing. Has anyone tried the Kathy Smith Kickboxing tape? I bought one the other day and see it was distributed in 1998. It is awesome. Just in case you are looking for something to rev up that workout!

Jenaya
Closed Thread