General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2001, 09:29 AM   #1  

Thumbs down

This post contains general bfl info, bfl links and a short critique by Mrs. Jim at the end of week 3

Must Have: Body for Life book by Bill Phillips

BFL eating program in a nutshell (see book for more details):
six meals a day 2-3 hours apart consisting of balanced (or close to balanced) protein/carb using fist/palm method of measurement.
Recommended grams per day: divide lean body weight by 6 and that is how much carbs/protein you should have at each meal but it tends to correspond to your palm (protein) and fist (carbs). Add green veggies to 2 meals per day. Drink 8-10 glasses of water per day.

Because of the six meal requirement, some people find it convenient to have Meal Replacement Drinks and/or Bars on hand. This is not a requirement but a convenience.

Meal Replacement Shakes and Bars (Shakes are better IMHO). Look for good ratios of protein to carb and low sugar (Myoplex by EAS and Met Rx not anything like Slimfast

Vitamins: suggest multivitamin

Supplements: l-glutamine for faster muscle recovery and immune system (this is not required but almost standard fare on BFL)

Supplements optional: many options but few (other than creatine) that is standard fare.

Workout schedule (see book for more details): 47-60 minutes intense (using supersetting and drop sets) weight trainining 3 times a week working lower and upper body on different days.

20 minutes intense interval cardio 3 x a week (see the BFL book)

Free Day: One day a week no workout and eat any thing you please, as much as you please.

Rest: 12 weeks of program with one day of rest each week and then one week of rest between each 12 weeks.

Mental requirements: commitment and dedication

Body for life Links

http://*************.com/group/bodyforlife

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifeplus
(for plus women)

http://www.hussman.com/eas/

http://www.bodyforlife.com/

http://www.leanandstrong.com/

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlifewomensclub
(for women)

http://www.eas.com

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/bodyforlife

http://www.bflrecipes.bigstep.com

http://www.bflsupport.com

http://www.gymamerica.com/gti/exerc...ted_demo_index/
(Thanks Christie!)

http://www.planetkc.com/exrx/Lists/Directory.html

http://bodybuilding.about.com/recre...ing/?once=true&

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/BootCamp.asp
(AB BOOTCAMP!!!)

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp
(HIIT)

From BFL #3 Thread: Mrs. Jim's critique at the end of Week 3

Woo! Today's end of Week 3...
...I'm feeling great - my arms are sore (not unbearably so) from yesterday's UBWO...

For the remaining 9 weeks, I've downloaded and printed copies of the progress reports, then written down the strength training routines, with the dates on top (not the planned weight to lift though - I write that in the night before). Each week, I'll pull out the three strength training routines for that particular week and put them on my refrigerator to grab on my way to the gym each morning!

My opinion is, if you want to truly succeed at losing weight in any case - not just BFL - it requires some advance planning, reading/researching, etc. When you're considering a weight-loss/fitness plan, don't just go blindly into it. Do some reading and research. Talk to people (on line or in person) about how they've done on the plan - preferably those who have done the plan in the past, or for more than a few weeks. Ask yourself "Can I stay on this plan for X amount of weeks? Will I be able to KEEP the weight off? Can I afford to do this?"

Let's face it, BFL isn't for everyone (though I would strongly encourage all to give it a look!), just like WW or other plans don't work for everyone. It's important to find a plan you can live with for an extended period of time!

The things that appealed to me about BFL were:

*The structure of the plan - I've lifted weights in the past, but didn't have an actual routine to make them more effective. I like the way BFL's weight training is set up and timed - it's fast paced and actually enjoyable!

*Even though I'm doing less cardio than in the past (where I would typically spend 80 minutes on the EFX, followed by 5 minutes on the treadmill and 10-15 minutes lifting weights, six or seven days a week, in addition to long hilly bike rides on the weekends) I find I'm getting more out of it. My typical BFL cardio workout day consists of doing the 20 minute solution (using a HRM to monitor my intensity), THEN doing a 40-minute easy 'jog' keeping my HR low (120-140 HR) just because I enjoy it...I still do my Friday Spin class but only after my strength training and usually only stay for the first 35 minutes (primarily because of my work schedule).

*Another great thing is the FREE DAY...can't say enough about it. It's kind of exciting to plan what I'm going to be eating on Sunday! In addition, Jim and I usually go cycling or are out and about, so it's not like I'm hanging around the house pigging out...I still don't know what I want tomorrow...we did Mexican last week...maybe Italian??

Well, gotta go - my Myoplex is ready! Later...

Old 05-14-2001, 01:18 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Whew!

Just read your post...maybe we just need a hyperlink to all the info - it's a thread in itself!

Yesterday Jim and I ended up doing chores around the house and yard - his birthday is coming up on the 28th so we are planning on having a few friends over since that's also Memorial Day weekend!

Went to Red Robin for my free day meal...I was tempted to order the most fattening thing they had (not hard to do) but ended up getting a turkey burger instead. They have "bottomless steak fries" there (which means they keep bringing them until you beg them to stop). Thought for sure that I was going to get at least one refill but barely finished my original helping before I was stuffed!

Had such a great LBWO this morning - I'm revved up! Hope all you other BFL's feel as great as I do - for those of you who haven't decided if BFL is for you, I really suggest you give it a look! See ya...
Old 05-14-2001, 11:58 PM   #3  

wow my husband's bd is the 26th!

lots of may birthdays!

Finals are killing my BFL. Today was my 3rd out of 4. I'm so mentally and physically tired...I am trying to get through! ONE MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2001, 01:15 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default My schedule...

Hey Susan, after finals are out I suggest you work out to Alice Cooper..."SCHOOL'S OUT FOR SUMMER!!!" (remember that song? Boy are we old!)

Just thought I'd post what I've worked out as my daily BFL menu - see what you all think!

I generally wake up around 4:00 a.m. or so.
Before I go to the gym I drink two glasses of water, along with 500 mg of Vitamin C and 500 mg of L-Glutamine.
Hit the gym between 4:30 - 4:45, home by 6:00.
Have a Myoplex with a serving of Betagen added at 7:00 (WHY I didn't get a blender until this weekend I'll never know - Myoplex is SO MUCH better blended with ice!!!)
At 9 or 9:30 (depending on how busy I am) I'll toddle down to the cafeteria and get some freshly cut fruit (melon, pineapple, strawberries usually) with a dollop of cottage cheese on top.
I drink water throughout the day - as well as when I'm working out.

Here's where I tend to screw up - I don't have lunch til 1:00 which is way past the two-three hour mark - generally I'll go to Mydashi (a fast-food Japanese restaurant) and get a rice bowl - brown rice, chicken and veggies.

At 3:30 - 4:00 - Myoplex time again.

6:00 dinner - Even though it's mostly carbs I enjoy having veggie sushi that I purchase at the local market. Either that or a grilled boneless chicken breast, brown rice and a veggie.

7:30 pm - I SHOULD have another Myoplex but I'm a grazer at night - usually winds up being a Dannon Light N Fit yogurt, maybe with some cottage cheese mixed in. The hour between 7 and 8 is when I tend to graze...
Old 05-16-2001, 02:07 AM   #5  

I was in high school when that was a song........I think it came out the end of one of my middle years (soph or junior). egad.

Do you like the Betagen? I only do creatine and glutamine. My week is off...I went to the gym today and did a full body workout. ICK. I used to do them all the time but now they seem dumb. I did it BFL way and it took me almost 2 hours (Abs too) but I dont' know when I'll get back to the gym this week. I HATE THIS.

I'm trying to stay on track with my food but I study for hours on end and find I am missing meals.

ack.

I can't wait for Friday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2001, 11:29 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

I do like the Betagen but have only been using it a short time...we'll see if it has any effects.

In addition to the Betagen I'm finishing off a bottle of Creatine Serum, I also have a big tub of pure creatine in my cupboard, so I may just buy some straight HMB and combine them to save some $$.

I'm really enjoying my workouts but I'm finding my left side is weaker than my right and I work to failure much more quickly on the left...

I really enjoy the Myoplex though - it is pretty great tasting! And I DO recommend mixing diet root beer with vanilla Myoplex Lite and ice in a blender. Did that tonight - YUM!

Friday's coming fast - and I'm looking forward to Sunday (my Free Day!!)
Old 05-17-2001, 01:15 PM   #7  
GARDENING ADDICT

Hi Everybody
My name is Sil and I usually post on the WW threads but I have been reading BFL for awhile and am planning to start on Monday.(actually I have been trying the food and exercise routines the past few days to get the hang of it.

I have been needing some structured exercising and this seems like it will work. I am concerned about the UBWO, as I had spinal surgery on my neck in Jan. I can lift the weights but not sure how far I can push myself at this time.

I do have some questions regarding BFL:
~Are the fruits listed in the book the only ones allowed? I noticed that bananas are not on the list but he mentions them in the book.

~I saw a recipe on his website where he mixes ff cottage cheese with eggbeaters, veggies,etc for an omlette and wraps it in a tortilla. That seems like 2proteins and 1 carb. Is that allowed for a meal?

~DH is also planning on doing this with me and the myoplex bars and ready-mix drinks will work best for him(he has no access to a blender on the job). Has anyone tried these? I was told the drinks do not taste as good as the powder mix. Can you freeze the ready made drinks over night to put in your lunch ? On that same note, has anyone tried blending the powder mix and then freezing that over night. I'm looking for something that will stay cold for him in his lunchbox.

I have checked out the saveonsupplements site as you suggested and it looks like a good deal.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks everybody!
~~~Sil

Last edited by 2BFIT1; 05-17-2001 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-17-2001, 03:22 PM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Sil -

I'm still in the learning process as well (if you can believe that after doing this for almost four weeks already). I'm still doing my research.

I did notice that Bill Phillips does not mention bananas on the 'short list', but they ARE mentioned elsewhere in the book. The first place I would check out other than the BFL site is http://www.hussman.com/eas/

It takes a while to read (I had to print it out) but there's a TON of info there.

I bought a case of RTD Myoplex on eBay and Jim just called me from downstairs - and told me that my case had just arrived...I'm sure they don't taste as yummy as the powdered stuff (which is GREAT blended with ice!!) but Myoplex just doesn't blend as well in a shaker cup - I still get those big powdery globs. So I'm just going to keep my RTD at work, put a can in the freezer about 20 minutes prior to drinking it (BTW I wouldn't keep a can in the freezer longer than a few minutes - the liquid can expand and possibly (because this has happened to me in the past) explode (embarrassing when it's your better half that is the one to discover it upon opening the freezer door...)

If you guys sign up for the BFL challenge, make sure you use the Team EAS website - the workouts are all laid out for you...it's great! I'd start with lower weights and work up from there (also probably a good idea to consult with your doctor...)

Good luck and I'm sure Susan will have some good words to add as well! Keep posting!
Old 05-17-2001, 03:38 PM   #9  
GARDENING ADDICT

Thanks Mrs. Jim. I'll check out that website that you mentioned.~~~Sil
Old 05-18-2001, 09:52 PM   #10  
GARDENING ADDICT

Hi Mrs. Jim~~~
I decided to go ahead and start the BFL today. Thursdays are my free days and yesterday I did the aerobic workout in the morning, to get my exercise program on schedule. I bought a box of Myoplex powder and some RTD to try it. Tonight I mixed the powder w/ half a banana and ice cubes (& water) and it was wonderful. Alot thicker that I thought it would be.
I even got in a good UBWO today.

The real test will be tomorrow. I work on weekends and I work 13 hr shifts with a 1 hr driving time each way. I will have to get up at 3:45 to get the aerobics in but I think I can do it.
Have a great weekend!!!
~~~Sil
Old 05-18-2001, 10:40 PM   #11  

Hi Sil,

Welcome! I used to work 12 hour shifts on Saturdays with an hour drive each way. Can't say I envy you!

I really don't like the RTDs. I DO envy people who can drink them. I do love the shakes. Hate the bars except I find that Myoplex Lite Toffee Crunch FROZEN is okay (not so great if not frozen). I've heard Designer Protein bars are very good and everything else they make is very good so this is easy to believe.

Oh I found myoplex orange jubilee on netrition.com - a case of it (I previously thought it only came in the assortment and I only like the orange). I also have tried Designer Protein Abs Berry (very good) and also Met Rx Berry Blast is good (I add frozen strawberries...virgin dacquari tasting). I just ordered Myoplex vanilla and will compare it to Met Rx vanilla (my current favorite).

As far as exercise, I like the fact that when I am stretched for time, the 20 minutes seems do-able. This morning I really had to run out early and managed 25 minutes on the elliptical (2 minutes warm up and 3 for cool down).

Well, School is DONE. I'm exhausted and my program took a few hits (not big ones, some missed meals, some missed workouts and one or two meals on the run, not bad for how nuts I've been). I do feel paunchier around the middle than I did last week so I am going to really hit the gym hard next week.

I missed my workout yesterday but did cardio today, will do weights tomorrow.

Free Day on Sunday (doing Bay to Breakers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

and strict strict strict BFL from now til the end of my challenge (I have 4 weeks left!) I will probably not take my free week until the beg of July when I have a friend coming to visit for a week.

In spite of everything, I still like the way I feel. I am so relieved, I hit 10s on cardio for the first time in weeks!!!!
Yeah!

Welcome Sil, keep us posted!!!!

Susan
Old 05-19-2001, 10:41 AM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Hey you guys!!!!

Hi Susan - betcha you're SO GLAD that school is out! Now you can relax (and get back on track, right??). I know how stressful situations can really mess you up.

About the RTD's - tried the chocolate. YUK! Maybe it would be better frozen - or blended with ice.. Of course I'm not really used to drinking meal replacements, esp RTD's (even though I did Optifast back in '90). Well, I have 23 servings left of the RTD, so I guess it's going back on eBay. Probably there's a bunch of people who just LOVE that stuff but it's not me...I'm not really a 'bar' person either (either kind of bars - the ones you hang out in or the ones you eat). They just don't fill me up the way a Myoplex shake made with plenty of ice and mixed in a blender does! (my favorite is still my 'root beer float' recipe, but I've also done the vanilla or strawberry creme with a couple of fresh strawberries tossed in - they add a lot of flavor and very few calories).

Next week is my Week 5. All the routines change and I'm ready - I've printed out the instructions and copied them to carry along with me in case I forget the first week. I may do a light 'run-through' tomorrow with 5 lb weights, a few reps of each exercise just to get the hang of it.

I'm so proud of myself today - I always do a bit of ab work on my cardio days - the decline sit-ups have always been tough for me - I'm now able to do 12 in a row - and have even raised the incline of the bench up to the next bar and was able to do 5 at that level!

Jim is going to take my 4-week photos tomorrow, and I'll be able to compare. The ones that he took at the beginning were shocking - BACK FAT is NOT pretty!

We'll probably be watching the B2B tomorrow on Channel 5 - we've gone a few times, but Jim and I aren't runners - we're cyclists. It is fun to bike behind the "Back of the Pack" people, especially since the streets are closed to cars during the race - heaven! Make sure you drink a lot of water though - it's going to be a hot one tomorrow!!!

Sil - you do exactly what I do - even though I only live a 10 minute drive from work, I still like to hit the gym around 4:30 am during the week - otherwise it just gets too crowded. One of the great things about BFL is that all the workouts take under an hour - so it's easy to fit them into your schedule. Keep us posted on how you do!

Later you guys - need to hit the shower!!
Old 05-21-2001, 09:38 AM   #13  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default On to Week 5!!

And the routines have changed (as stated before, I'm just using the routines on the Team EAS/BFL website).

Amazing how weak my left arm is - I am really trying to concentrate on getting it as strong as my right.

Susan - tell us how the B2B was! I didn't even get around to watching it on TV - didn't even have the TV on yesterday til around 7:00 p.m.

For a free day, I was superbusy...for some reason, all week I had been thinking about McD's hamburgers, just the regular one - and some fries. Since Jim was in the studio most of the day yesterday, I cleaned our pigsty of a house (usually other activities take precedence over cleaning but NOW it's sparkling!). Around 2:00 I headed over to the nearby McDonald's. The line was incredibly long and service SLOW. My first job at 16 was at McD's and I remember we were made to work at a much faster pace (but it was probably easier to get kids to work there in 1979 than now, with all the mall jobs available today).

Anyway, I waited in line and got a regular HB and a medium fries, took my stuff home and ate. Of course it wasn't as good as I remembered. Didn't finish the fries - they just seemed to have no taste whatsoever. Later (around 6:00) Jim came home and we went to our favorite Mexican restaurant. I had a margarita and ordered a chimichanga platter, but couldn't finish more than about 1/2 of it (Jim's bringing the leftovers to work for lunch today!). What a contrast to my first free day when I polished off a whole jumbo combo platter!

Lost 1/2 a pound this week - which for me is pretty good considering my TOM starts Thursday or Friday (ah, the miracle of The Pill - you always know your cycle!). The weather is getting really nice and I know it's going to be a super week! Let's hear from you guys!
Old 05-21-2001, 04:28 PM   #14  
Doin' it this time

S/C/G: 208.8/208.8/145

Default I have questions

I have the bfl book. I have had it for over 1 year. I am getting really frustrated with my loss. I have decided to finally use this book and challange myself to 12 weeks. The biggest questions I have is with Supplements. I will not take anything more than a vitamin, just a pill phobia I have. Is it neccessay to take them for success. Also meal replacements, can I use slimfast or carnation instant breakfasts.

Thank you all in advance for your help. I am hoping to start tomorrow so any help is appreciated.
Old 05-21-2001, 05:33 PM   #15  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Supplements & meal replacements

You don't need to use supplements if you don't wanna. I do use the Betagen though. I also take L-Glutamine and Vitamin C.

SlimFast, Instant Breakfast and the like are NOT acceptable meal replacements on BFL. You don't need to use meal replacement shakes at all, but it does make things much easier when you're fitting in 6 small meals a day. I am using Myoplex Lite right now, and have also used Lean Body for Her by Labrada. I've already ticked off a lot of Slim Fast users in the past by saying this...but SlimFast/Instant Breakfast both get most of their calories from sugar - kind of like having an Ovaltine or Nesquik with a vitamin...

Let's do a quick comparison of Myoplex Lite with Slim Fast (the powder versions)

Calories - Myoplex Lite: 190 SlimFast: 100
Protein - ML: 25 g SF: 5g
Carbs: ML: 20g (0g from sugar) SF: 20g (17g from sugar)

Since sugar has 4 calories/grams, a whopping 68% of Slim-Fast's calories are derived from sugar! Not much nourishment there, not enough protein either. BFL's eating plan consists of 40% protein/40% carbs (mostly low-glycemic)/20% fat. Since a great deal of BFL's plan involves weight training, your body will need the protein to help build muscle tissue - and more muscle means more fat being burned!

There are a lot of meal replacement shakes out there if you don't want to use Myoplex - just make sure that the nutritional content is similar. As far as price goes, I'm paying about $1.33 per serving for Myoplex Lite from www.saveonsupplements.com (I buy the 42 serving variety pack). If you use a blender with lots of ice, Myoplex is especially tasty - just like a triple thick milkshake!

I would also suggest that you check some of the links that Susan posted at the top of this thread, especially the Body For Life site and the Hussman/Eas site. And DO sign up for the Challenge on www.bodyforlife.com and have your photos/measurements taken before you start as well! In fact, I'd suggest waiting until Monday to start - re-read the book, check out the websites listed and sign up for the challenge - it doesn't cost anything! Take care and keep us posted!
Closed Thread