Old 04-27-2004, 08:28 PM   #1  

Default Excess Skin

I know that as I was loosing I was curious about loose skin. I at this point have massive loose skin. I had my mom take some digital pics of the loose skin and I am willing to let anyone who wants to see them take a look. Just let me know and i will email them to you.
dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 11:28 PM   #2  

Heya Julie, out of curiosity are you going to try later on to have surgery for it? I know that it is not a cheap surgery at all. My tummy is the biggest thing on me and from having three kids I just don't know that the lose of weight and toning is going to tighten up the loose skin that I have on my lower stomach. It is not a huge concern for me yet, but I know as I lose more I don't know how I am going to feel if it does not go away. Any words of wisdom?
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:00 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

i am terrified of this as well. here's a great thread on the subjet, started a few years back:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...threadid=17407
gonzostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 07:20 AM   #4  

Yes I am hoping someday to afford a tummy tuck and the arms and thighs plus breast implants to fill in the lose skin. I recently started taking a magnesium, calcium and zinc supplement along with my normal vitamin and it seems like my skin is less boggy so i am wondeirng if that has anything to do with the supplement because i know calcium is essential for skin elasticty. I wished i had started heavier exercise like crunches sooner too. I really feel a differece in my abs after I do them.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:35 AM   #5  
Crazy Canuck

It was so interesting reading those posts from a couple of years ago - what happened to those people?? Are they still around but posting in other forums?? It was comforting to see our own dear Jiffypop's contributions (the only "face" I recognized).

Back to topic, I definitely suffer from loose skin syndrome - especially upper arms (I think I could fly to Chicago with my batwings) and that annoying apron around the midsection .

I know a lot has to do with weight loss, but I'd put some of it (for example saggy breasts) down to creeping old age. I have to admit I don't do heavy duty weight and resistance training (preferring cardio), but I figured that no matter how much you tighten the muscle underneath, the skin itself has nowhere to go. I'm not considering surgery because I'd rather spend the money travelling the world and I'm a wimp and prefer not to suffer pain for cosmetic purposes. Having said that, if I could be promised the body of a taut 20 year old, I might re-consider

The way I look at it, having lost the weight has been great for my health and I look a heck of a lot better now, so I'll take the bad with the good - in fact it's a reminder of a past life that I fully intend to never re-visit.
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 11:39 AM   #6  

I think I will check with my doctor about how much of the supplements he would advise. I don't have a clue about how much to take. I know that I am going to have to get serious about crunches soon also. Right now my only exercise is walking. Granted, it is working but it is not going to tighten up all the areas as I keep loosing.

Julie, How long has it taken you to loose your weight? I'm just so impressed with ya.

Holly, thanks for that thread. I see in it it also mentions something about calcium. You are a motivation to me also Holly. All you ladies who are sticking with it and loosing the weight are wonderful role models for the rest of us.

Jillegal posted as I was typing out my post, so I have to edit now...hehe...I guess when it comes right down to it the loose skin is far better than all the weight. It's just that society dictates to us early on the image of what a woman is supposed to look like. That's a real shame. I know I should not worry about the loose skin because I know I am going to be much more healthy by loosing the weight but then in the back of my mind I will always think "Do I still not meet the standards?" I know that might seem like shallow thinking but,darn it, is programmed into us from such an early age.

Jillegal, I just had to add. I love the insight you have on issues like these. Congrats on your weight loss thus far and your awesome attitude.

Last edited by Tammy32; 04-28-2004 at 11:51 AM.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 01:06 PM   #7  

I made a page off my website that is only accessable from this link for my excess skin pictures. Feel free to take a look and keep in mind this is 14 months after starting to lose weight so i have not reached goal or had the 6 months to 1 year they recommend for skin to catch up. But with the amount of skin i dont imagine getting rid of all of it by exercise alone.
http://www.geocities.com/dowsx4/skin.html
Old 04-28-2004, 02:22 PM   #8  
Crazy Canuck

Julie, you're an absolute angel - it took guts to post such personal pictures, but I for one really appreciate it. Yes, there's loose skin, but like you say, it hasn't been THAT long and you're still young so I think it's more a matter of time and patience. Perhaps a couple of years down the road if things haven't "snapped back" you might consider a tuck here or there (start saving your pennies now and if you feel the need to use it in time, go ahead, and if not you'll have a nice little kitty to treat yourself in some other way).

Actually, looking at those pictures I didn't so much see the excess skin - my mind was more drawn to what must have been inside that skin at one time and I find it a remarkable achievement - heck I'm proud of you, so you'd better be proud of yourself!

Another way these pics have given me perspective is seeing the difference clothes really make. You'd never know that beneath those garments lurks some skin that gives you emotional grief, which leads me to another point - the majority of the world sees us clothed and those who don't are the ones who are supposed to love us however we look (and that should include ourselves!)

Okay, so perhaps we wouldn't feel comfortable frolicking around the pool in our bikinis with loose skin jiggling, but I'm content to wear my tummy support one piece swimsuit and actually go IN the pool and have fun instead of sitting in a chair beside it, hoping the chair won't collapse, sweating profusely because I'm too embarrassed to wear shorts, and wondering when the barbeque's going to start!

P.S. Thanks for the kind remarks Tammy
Jillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 05:41 PM   #9  

Wow Julie, thanks for posting these, you are so brave! I don't think I could bring myself to show others what all of this extra skin really looks like. Its bad enough when I have to describe it to them. You've done such a great job, I hope you're really proud of your accomplishments regardless of the loose skin. And Jillegal is right, you really wouldn't know there was excess skin there with clothes on.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 05:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Wow julie. Thanks for sharing. I still have a ways to go for where you're at.
Have you thought about appplying for extreme makeovers. I know their requirements are you have to want to fix more than one thing (they did tons of features on it at the local news and brought the producers down for people to "try out") It might be worth it if you don't mind people seeing your story and shoot, you don't have to pay!!
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 07:13 PM   #11  

Thank you all ladies. I am very happy with my weightloss and the skin is the only draw back and i can deal with that if i have to.

Jill-I am able to hide it pretty well in some clothes but other the skin hangs over the pants so I have to try everything on to see if its ok.

Boiaby-Does your skin still look like this? Has it gotten any better since getting to goal and maintaining? I wanted to post these because I remember wondering what the skin looked like so I thought I would show everyone who is on the same journey. I posted one pic with clothes to show that you really can hide it well with clothing.

Barbygirl-yes i have thought of extreme makeover, I even have an application printed up. I just need to get the video made and pictures taken and sent in. I dont hold alot of hope because its like winning the lottery but I will never know unless i send it in.
Old 04-28-2004, 07:44 PM   #12  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hey you guys!

I saw Julie's ID and the "loose skin" topic float up to the top of the 100 lb club and thought I'd chime in.

Y'all know our Meg - I know she posts here as well as at Ladies who Lift and her own forum, Maintainers. Well - in the Maintainers forum Meg took the time to write up a whole darn sticky thread on loose skin! Worth a peek!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:12 PM   #13  
Old Cackler

julie. you are beautiful. i hope you realize this. and there WILL be some snap back, but it's doubtful that it'll disappear entirely.

it's really a shame, though, that this kind of reconstruction [because that's what it is!] is covered by insurance only if someone has had wls. not fair. AND even then, many insurance companies will put up a fight or deny coverage completely.

however, if you're getting rashes or infections underneath or in the bellybutton, you actually might have a chance of having insurance pay for it. it's then a health hazard.

just something to think about.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2004, 10:56 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

I forgot to ask since I wasn't here for most of your weight loss journey, how did you lose it all? What eating plan, exercise are you doing?
Thanks
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2004, 02:36 AM   #15  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Julie I commend you for having such courage. I will keep my fingers crossed about the Extreme Makeover thing, but you know we already think you look GREAT!!!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote