Old 04-26-2004, 09:49 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #16

Good Evening, Flowers!
It was a quiet day at school today . . . my kind of day! The weekend flew by so fast I could have used another day at home.

I don't know anything newsy tonight. We spent yesterday afternoon with kids and grandkids so I'm finishing up some laundry tonight.

Maggie -- A BIG CONGRATULATIONS on the wonderful loss! You are on the downward track once again!

Guess I will go read the papers and catch the news. Have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 10:28 PM   #2  
Thin Within

Arrow It is HOT

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It is so hot ~ got up to 95 today and is almost 7:30 pm now and holding a steady 90 degrees. I don't do well in the heat. We are going to take a drive into Yosemite tomorrow which should be fun and great top down weather for it is supposed to be a tad cooler. Anyway I will pack a pic-nic lunch and we will think we have good sense.

JEAN isn't it fun to have some of the bad actors gone. I sure hope it isn't hot when we come to your state in September. Don't let it be so ~ please. Thanks for starting us a new page here.

Type at ya'll later ~ have a nice cool evening.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 09:15 AM   #3  

Good Morning from the sunny south (finally). We had horrible weather from Friday on, thunderstorms, hail, etc. Saturday we had hail the size of half dollars. My whole deck was covered in hail and I was so afraid my glass patio table was going to get damaged, but it came through it ok. I have never seen hail last more than a couple minutes and it kept it up for a good 15 minutes or so. It was pretty scary hearing the stuff slam against the windows along with the hard rain.

We were painting fools this weekend. I painted one whole side of my cabinets on the bottom then went upstairs and helped Jack do all the trim. We let it dry and Jack taped off everything and early Sunday morning we were up and at it painting the walls then yesterday we put up the border. I am including a pic of it and of B as he "helps" with the work!

I got out and walked this morning and now need to get downstairs and start with the painting before it gets too hot. I am a definte morning person so it is always good for me to get things done in the morning when I have the most energy.

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2004, 05:33 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
I'm waiting for DH to come home as we are meeting some friends for supper tonight.

It's been a sunny, cool (with wind) 72 degrees day in my corner of the world. School went smoothly again today and my foot feels pretty good. It was kind of sore yesterday, after school, and I thought maybe I did something to it beside being on it too much.

Maggie -- Do you have humidity along with the heat? I know what "dry" heat is after visiting Arizona in July a few years ago. I don't do well when it is hot and humid . . . love my air conditioning! What good stuff did you pack for your picnic? Hope you had a fun day!

"Gma" -- Thanks for posting the pictures. Butterscotch looks like he is saying, "I didn't do it!" I like your border -- looks nice.

My computer is making a funny noise; the fan sounds like it is running overtime. If I disappear, you will know why. I will be !

Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday. This week is flying by fast!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-27-2004, 06:39 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Arrow HOT today

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a good 97 degrees now as I type and 3:30 in the afternoon. We left early this moring for a nice top down drive through Yosemite and it was so wonderful. The dog-woods are in bloom along with tiny daisy like flowers and purple lupins. We drove through part and down to a town and had lunch and then with the top up and the air conditioner on full blast home. We plan on doing a similar drive throgh each mongh.

FAYE thanks for the pictures. Your walls and boarder look just yummy. That cat looks like he supervised your good job.

JEAN hope your foot doesn't give you fits. No, we don't have bad humididty here ~ it is at 10 percent right now. That is why we can use the swamp type coolers here ~ work better than the air conditioner type.

Have a good afternoon everyone. I love being OP!
Old 04-28-2004, 10:43 AM   #6  

Maggie: I keep forgetting to tell you what a great job you are ding with your losses. It is always nice when things are rolling downward, isn't it? We are finally having some decent weather. I re-cleaned my deck after the thunderstorms of the weekend where the hail tore up the trees and even pitted the deck in places. Now, after I finish with the painting for the day, I can go outside and sit under the patio umbrella and read or whatever.

Jean: I too hope your foot is not bothering you. I broke my foot years and years ago (the small bone on the outside of the foot) and it caused me grief for a long time and still does every once in awhile. I think it is just that once bones are broken (or any kind of surgery involving bones) that more than likely you will have twinges especially if you are older. Hope it feels lots better.

I walked again this morning then talked to dd for awhile. I am going to Chucky Cheese with them tomorrow. Thank goodness I hate their nasty tasting pizza. I think I will sneak some fruit in as I am not paying $6 for their teeny tiny lousy salad bar.

I will check in later and see how everyone is doing.

Faye
Old 04-28-2004, 06:23 PM   #7  

Talking

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It is 87 degrees outside but the wind is blowing so hard it doesn't seem like it is that warm. It's not a nice day to be outside because of the wind. Today was another good day at school. I had my evaluation with my supervisor who admits she never has to check up on me because I show up every day and do what I am supposed to do. Gee, I thought everyone did that! Anyhow, I have a job for next year although there will be some changes. . .mainly larger classes and more behavior challenges will be coming.

Several times I have had a message that I needed to uninstall and reinstall Norton. I ignored it because when I checked it said the updates were always up to date. Well, last night it wouldn't let me bring email in so I gave up and uninstalled Norton. It took forever to reinstall it . . . my computer kept wanting to shut off after 20 minutes so I set the timer to check and make sure it was still downloading. But it worked and I haven't had any more messages so hopefully it is ok this time.

My foot is beginning to itch so hopefully that means it is healing. I can stick my finger inside the bandage to scratch around the edge -- my skin is dry and flakey -- GROSS! It feels so good to get home, take the shoe and Ace bandage off then put my feet up!

Maggie -- I take it you didn't picnic yesterday? Congrats on being OP! I need to get back on track but just haven't got the motivation right now.

"Gma" -- Chucky Cheese is coming to Sioux City so I imagine we will get to go with the grandchildren. Sioux City has one pizza place that has a talking robot wolf on a trike. He calls the kids by name and drives his trike on a track to deliver the pizza to your table. We went there years ago with DH's brother and family so I'm anxious to take Ian when he's a bit older. The wolf is pretty good sized and I don't want to scare Ian. They have games the kids can play, etc. Have fun tomorrow . . . at least you will get to go with T!

DH is home so I suppose I should dream up something for supper. I think it will be leftovers from the Mexican restaurant we went to last night. Have a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 04-28-2004 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2004, 09:04 AM   #8  

Jean: Chucky Cheese has the ickiest pizza. It used to be great and they changed the sauce and I don't care for it now. Thomas is so far advanced that he plays the "adult" video games where his little legs don't have to reach a pedal or he doesn't have to stretch between two joy sticks or something. He is a real whiz kid when it comes to video games, but I think his mom thinks he is losing control. She made a deal with him no tv and no video games for 5 days in exchange for no preschool for a week and he jumped on it. I am not sure I would have done that as in another year he will HAVE to go to school no bargains and he needs to understand that, but it is her child. I might have let him have one day off but not the whole week. He doesn't particularly like it. I am not sure why.

I actually have a JOB interview on Friday. It is with this really upscale eyewear place. They sell glasses that are either custom made or $500+ a pair. Now wouldn't you like to accidently sit on those and break them! It is for a receptionist job, but they want someone willing to cross train to do minor eye testing like administering glaucoma tests and insurance filing and then eventually knowing all the products and doing optical to fill in for people on vacation etc. How the heck someone sitting at the desk answering the phones and doing patient intake can sell someone frames too is beyond me, but it sounds like fun and I did have a really good phone interview yesterday.

Have a great day. Sun is shining and supposed to be nice and warm today

Faye
Old 04-29-2004, 06:47 PM   #9  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's been another cloudy, cool, windy day in my corner of the world. I am so sick of wind! Today was yet another peaceful day at school -- I could get used to this! I am ready for it to be Friday and the weekend. We bought a car for MIL and will go pick it up if we can't talk Jason and Amanda into bringing it over to us.

"Gma" -- I know several parents who are worried about how much time and money their kids spend on video games as well as the computer addiction. Maybe preschool is not challenging enough for T. Good luck with the job interview -- it sounds interesting! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

I can hear DH in the garage so I'd better head towards the kitchen; at least he will think I have plans to cook. Have a fantastic Friday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-30-2004, 02:47 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Arrow Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is much cooler this day and very pleasant. ~ 75 degrees as I type at 11:30 am and only predicted to get up to 85 this day. I have a pork roast in the crock pot making Carolina BBQ and will shred the meat and make sandwiches on bugrer buns to go with white corn on the cob which is sooooo yummy. I will also make a batch of my 1 point coleslaw. Then some ice cold seedless watermelon later. We love those little round seedless kind. That will be dinner. For lunch I will have a spicey chicken breast (Schwans) cut up over a bed of lettuce. Cowboy is out with the Sheriff department till late afternoon so he can have lunch with what ever deputy he is with today. Since the deputy's usually ride alone they love having Cowboy along. He can be their "back up" if necessary. Since they found out he does leather work as a "hobby" he now has orders to do 21 holsters for the guys. They like the pancake type and need new ones to fit their newly aquired Glocks. So he will be having fun with those. Some want them plain some what them basket stamped and so on. I think he has the saddle finished he was doing for a lady down south and we can take it to her when we go there the first of the month.

Someone out there has the virus NETSKY because every day my provider sends me an e-mail that they had snaged some e-mail with that virus attached. It is always from someone I don't have a clue who is. Just for curiosity I ran the "virus fix" and I am clean. I had to first shut off my automatic relcall system in windows because if you run the clean up program with that turned on and you do have the virus your system will save it and recall it for you later. OH JOY what a system ~ recall it later. I don't have the virus and am so glad. To get the virus scrubber I went to snopes and typed in NETSKY and it told me where to go to get the cleaner.

Have a great weekend ya'all
Old 04-30-2004, 11:22 PM   #11  

Happy Friday, Flowers!
I am heading to bed shortly -- it was a long day at school today. I worked with a sub for the 3rd day this week and I am subbed out. Today's sub is coming back on Monday again. This is the time of year when there are curriculum meetings for next year, the senior countdown is on, the daily schedules are disrupted often, spring fever hits, and the days fly by. Even though these two are good subs, the students still seem to gravitate to me for help and I have a hard time getting my own work done. It will be regular Saturday chores tomorrow: laundry, chase some fur hunks with the vacuum, and make a grocery list. I figure that one of the cats should be bald before June at the rate she is pulling her fur out!

Maggie -- Your menu sounds delicious! It looks like Cowboy will have his work cut out for him! It's nice that he enjoys doing the leather work. Jason is a reserve deputy in Woodbury County and I must say he looks pretty sharp in his uniform. I don't like the gun part though. I looked for NETSKY and didn't find it on my computer. After my loonnnnggggggg evening with Norton, I'd better not have anything!

The weather should be on shortly so I am heading for bed after I check that out. I'm hoping for some sunshine to warm up the neighborhood a bit! Have a great weekend, flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-01-2004, 03:05 AM   #12  
Thin Within

Arrow May 1

HAPPY MAY DAY MAGNOLIAS

Gonna go cut some zzzzzzzzz's now ~ have a great nights sleep all. Type at you when the sun comes up.

Last edited by Maggie; 05-01-2004 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2004, 05:37 PM   #13  

Maggie: Boy, I don't think I ever see you up as late as you were! You may still be sleeping!!!!

Jean: Oh, I am sure preschool is definitely NOT interesting to Thomas. I mean, Kelly reads to him constantly, he knows his address and phone #, can write his name and spell it out to you, he is on the fringes of learning to read and then there are the things he can do with video games. She is going to have a handful probably his whole life. They are going to be sending him to a top notch private school though so maybe he will get challenged there.

THE INTERVIEW WENT SPECTACULARLY! They spent an HOUR interviewing me. The office manager is also the owner's wife. She finished with me and the owner (the optometrist) and one of the technician's came in and interviewed me. When we finished, the dr said I did a really good interview, which was encouraging to me. The one thing I noticed was it was a totally white staff (it is in a really upscale part of the city) and I wonder if they want to keep it that way. I didn't find any of them snooty or anything, but you never know what people think. I don't think they were planning on talking to me that long as there were 3 applicants filling out applications when I left and I know that she was going with resumes sent in only because she had told me so on the phone so the three ladies had to have had appts. I would really like to have this job. It sounds interesting and fun.

I got seriously ambitious today. I got up at 6 am, painted the right side of the kitchen countertops so all the counters are done, Jack resanded this outcropping part of the wall and the cabinet over the fridge (we had a leak from an upstairs toilet a while back and I hadn't gotten to repainting UGH!) and I finished painting the kitchen cabinets, then I got down on my hands and knees and stripped, cleaned, the remopped the whole kitchen floor, laundry room floor and bathroom floor, cleaned the bathroom, oh yeah fixed and cleaned up breakfast and lunch in there somewhere, did a load of laundry and cleaned all painted and floor cleaning junk up and put it away. I am pretty wiped out and sore. I told Jack I was too old and too fat to be doing stuff like I did today!

Everyone have a great weekend!

Faye
Old 05-01-2004, 05:53 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
Ian (and his parents) just left and I feel a nap coming on! Even Grandpa is snoozing if front of the TV. I have both the washer and dryer going plus the dishwasher so figured I would check in here while I wait for one or the other to get done.

It is trying hard to rain; we started out with sunshine but the dark clouds are coming in from the west. It's a chilly 50 degrees so I hope we don't get snow!

Maggie -- I hope you got a good night's sleep! You were up LATE!

"Gma" -- Reading about your day's activities makes me sore just to read it! I'm sure it is a terrific feeling to have all of that done today! Tomorrow will be your day of rest, right?

Hope you all have a relaxing Sunday. I am off to check the dryer and read the newspaper . . . if Ian didn't find it first!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-01-2004, 07:19 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Arrow May Day

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Yes JEAN I was up late. I got to bed at 3:30 am. What happened is that I got a migraine in the afternoon. I took my Vanquish so no pain came but it leaves me wide awake. I did some computer stuff and lost my IncrediMail program and had to reload it and it still wouldn't open so had to go back to using Outlook Express and make the proper settings in it so I can receive attachments etc. I wish it would rain here! California is in a drought worse than years ago. This state will burn this year and that will be a sad time.