Old 04-20-2004, 07:12 PM   #1  

Default Over 50 And Getting Healthy # 14

Hello Friends.We were getting filled up on our last thread so I thought I better start a new one.

Welcome to all newcomers. We're glad to have you.
You don't have to be over 50 either. We just started out saying that and have kept it as our thread header.

We're here to get and receive support in our weight loss efforts as well as other areas of our lives.

EVERYONE WELCOME!
willow_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 07:39 PM   #2  

Default Hello Friends

Woke up a lot last night, and took my CPAP mask off early this morning and watched TV from bed and kept falling asleep so I didn't get up until after 8 AM.
Shouldn't sleep without the mask.

Had sausage and eggs and a slice of cheese for breakfast.

Went to the pool and did some walking and some theraband exercises after the hot tub.

Had some fish and tartar sauce and veggies with some swiss cheese melted on them for supper.
Had a few bites of fresh fruit for dessert.

Feel pretty good. ....
Old 04-21-2004, 09:19 PM   #3  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Exclamation From Sheila!

Quote:
Sheila had an emergency appendectomy on Tuesday night. She's home now and resting. She asked me to say she'd be back on the board when she's feeling better.

Sheila's DH
Hi Gals!
This was at the end of the last thread, so
I thought I would post it for Sheila.

SunnyD

*~*~*~*~*~*~*
SunnyD57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:21 PM   #4  

Smile

Good Evening Gals ~

I think my last post was on Saturday: we had a wonderful time that evening at the birthday party for my friend & her daughter! Everyone was in such a great mood because we had allot of sunshine... makes a huge difference in everyone's moods.
Sunday: We went to church and when we got home we went out into the yard to putts around in the garden for a bit; then we rented a movie "Runaway Jury" --- good movie - I recommend it! We had dinner and off we went to the Fashion Bug to go pick up all the clothes I picked out on Sat. I didn't buy them on Saturday because the manager told me that there was a special night (Sunday from 6-9pm) I could come to and get it all for 50% off!! So she held all my clothes for me till Sunday night, so nice of her. We usually do not shop on Sunday's but made an exception this time. So we went there to pick up the clothes and then we went to Annie's (Joe's sister - she invited us over that morning at church). We stayed till 9:00 and when we got home I fed the cats and went to bed! I was exhausted!
We both were!
Monday: I had so much to get done... I did my workouts - an hour on the T-mill and 35min with the Sculpting bands and then I spent most of the day switching out our closets from winter to summer (finally!). Still haven't finished... it takes time because I go through it all and weed out what I don't where anymore for the Good Will. This year I had to take the time to try everything on, so I knew what to keep. Then I had to iron all of Joe's shirts that were in the ironing (yes, I still iron - still not done). Then I washed floors and scrubbed bathrooms... sound like fun,
NOT!
Tuesday: I got in my workout 1hour and 10min on T-Mill, but got to feeling very tired... so I spent most of the day catching up on some reading. Well, till my eyes began to bother me again! I have been fighting allergies in my eyes - and it's been pretty bad this year. Not as bad now but still bothering me.
Today: I only did 1/2hour on the T-Mill and was going to Curves, but didn't feel well - my eyes again. So I went shopping to get my sister's birthday gifts instead this morning and then spent the afternoon making a couple cards for her and wrapping everything. Then had to clean out all my fishbowls and get dinner made... pork loins on the grill that were marinated (in olive oil, fresh garlic, fresh ginger & red wine - yum) and served with Brown Rice & Steamed veggies.

Now to catch up with all these posts

*~*~*
Old 04-21-2004, 09:36 PM   #5  

Exclamation

D Sheila'sH, Thank-you for posting for SHEILA -
and letting us know she is okay!

Just want you to know, Sheila, that you are in my
thoughts and prayers!!!

Well, guess now you know what has been wrong! !!!!
I hope that you will be well and back on your feet in no time flat!
{{{Huge Hugs}}}

*~*~*

I will finish posting tomorrow, okay Gals...
I am very tired tonight!

*God Bless*
SunnyD

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Last edited by SunnyD57; 04-21-2004 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:46 PM   #6  

Hope you're back in the pink, soon, Sheila!! Take care of yourself.

Hi Willow....Hope you're feeling well. You made me hungry with your meal items tonight. I haven't eaten much, today. I've gained 3 lbs according to my Remicade Dr, though, so I don't need to eat. Gotta lose it. I have to start taking my Methotrexate on Thursday nights by injections. I've been able to shoot it from the needle into orange juice & drink it. But, it's got to where it doesn't want to go down, or stay down...so, I get to give myself a shot! Never done it before, but, first time for everything, I guess. I've had a rough time trying to come back "to life"...but, getting there. She did get it in the first try, though. That makes 3 times in a row! SO proud of herself.

Hello Sunny....sounds like you stay pretty busy! Congratulations on the weight you're losing!

Hi to everyone else....Fatpuss...did you go far enough back to see the post of the new Avatars I found for you? This was just in case you wanted a change. Up to you.

Talk to you all later.
Angel-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 11:01 PM   #7  

Oh Shiela,

So sorry to hear about your appendectomy. Hope you are feeling better now. When you are feeling better you will have to tell us what happened. Rest a lot and get your strength back. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Bluet
Bluet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:10 AM   #8  

Sheila's DH, thanks for telling us about her appendix op - poor thing! My DD was telling me the other day about an appendix op she assisted on for a lady of 72 and I said I didn't think they happened once you were past your 20s but DD said it's less common when you are older but they still grumble and occasionally burst (which I suspect may have happened to you, you poor little thing). Hope you are on the mend now, Sheila, must have been really nasty for you. Hope you are directing operations from the comfort of your settee with a big pointy stick!
SunnyD you have been busy! I haven't seen Runaway Jury but I read the book which was really good. How fantastic was that getting 50% off your new stuff and the manager giving you the wink over the forthcoming sale. Hope your eye problem is a bit better, I remember last year you had lots of trouble with them.
Bluet, how's the reading coming along? If you like historical novels based on fact I recommened The Other Bolyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. It's about the time when King Henry V111 (our beheading-crazy one) was tiring of Anne Bolyn's younger sister (by whom he had a couple of children) once he clapped eyes on Anne. I think you would like it. During a discussion about calves in the UK and how we export them to France etc because veal is not eaten much in the UK (we animal lovers usually don't mind eating anything which is killed by someone else for us but get a bit hypocritical and sentimental over baby calves) I told my DD about calves being born all year and not during a season. He was well impressed until I told him I only recently knew via you. Ha ha.
Angel - I really feel for you with those injections. How is it going? I heard on our tv news yesterday about a new way of giving injections which is soon to be on the market which involves a little air explosion to the skin which allows the medication to penetrate the skin. Bit like sandblasting a wall it sounded like. The doctors said it would benefit those people who need regular injections like diabetics. Don't worry about the 3lb, it's nothing and maybe because you are not hungry and perhaps cutting down on your food your body is holding on to what it gets. As to the Atvars, do you mean the little cat icons? I am sure i said I liked them but preferred the one you did for me which is the falling down one I have now. (You know I am a dumbo at IT so if it's not the cats, you will need to explain in very very simple terms that even I can grasp ha ha).
Willow - thanks for the link to the new thread - I always have problems finding the new one. Sounds like you had a good day, rising at 8 (you are normally up with the lark, arn't you?), swimming exercise and hot tub band stretch. Your foods always sound good and I especially like that one with the fish, tartre sauce and swiss cheese over vegetables, could just go for that now.
I have been back on track for two days now and for the first time since before Xmas have actually lost a couple of pounds just by laying off the sweets, cakes and rubbish.
I managed to book our holiday this morning for May. DH and I are going to Spain for 10 nights and although we have been about 5 times before, we tended to go to a beach resort with little buckets and spades when the kids were little and wanted to build sand castles. This time we are just we two and although the hotel is on the beach we will travel inland to the famous cities like Cadiz, Alhambra, Seville, Granada and Cordoba. We visited Barcelona, Valencia and Madrid before the kids were born and the history and architecture of Spain is beautiful - it was always at war with the Moors and Arabs of North Africa during the centuries before the late 1500s and as each side took turns to be the victor, so the top of great churches got lopped off or were
modified to add Muslim minarets and visa versa when Catholic Spain re-gained them. I really like that part of history with King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella and not fogetting some chap called Christopher Columbus who was financed by them to go on his little voyages. But, just to curb my enthusiasm and bring me back to earth this morning, my washing machine decided to pack up. The only date I can make it for the repair man is a week today so my washing is now dripping on the line outside 3 hours after hanging it out. At least our grandmothers had the old fashioned mangles to squeeze the water out!
Everyone keep well, especially poor Sheila who will be so frustrated once over the worst that she can't romp about with the dogs for a bit or tend to the plants in the car port.
Fatpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:50 PM   #9  

Sheila....so sorry to hear of your appendix operation. My thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery are with you.
My sinus problems are minor compared to your surgery!

I have still been fighting this infection and it hasn't improved any so I guess it will mean a trip back to the Dr. There must be other problems besides sinus for it to knock me down this badly.
I have been so miserable that I haven't been back on the computer until today so I have lots to catch up on!!

The weather here has been beautiful but I haven't been able to enjoy it yet.
It will still be a long time until we have any flowers or color though!

I guess I am in catch up mode....again!!

I will back up and read the posts today to see all that I have missed.

Take care every one and have a good day!

Jacquie
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:06 PM   #10  

Default Hello Friends

Sheila, what the ......??? Had you not been feeling well or was this an acute attack and then surgery?
I hope it didn't rupture as that can be a bit dangerous and takes a lot longer to recover from.
Hugs to you my friend, and hope your recovery is speedy. Thanks also to hubby for letting us know what is happening to you.

Hi everyone else.
I have been to the motel pool the last couple days sitting in the hot tub and then walking in the pool and doing upper body exercises with my therabands.
Tomorrow I go to the other pool for pool therapy.

I want to get an above ground pool for my back yard but I need to call the City and find out what the height limit is before you need to put a fence with a gate that can be locked.

Had a hard time sleeping last night. Had a good day today though.

Everybody take care. See you all later.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Not going to stay on too long, but just wanted to say hello, and "ouch." Luckily, the docs got it out before it ruptured. It was rather a wild day. I woke up Tuesday morning at 4:30 am to bad pains in my abdomen. Thought about waking up DH, but decided not to. Then at 6:30 am, my son called to say his car had been stolen. By the time I got up, the pain had eased so I made a drs. appt. for later on in the afternoon. I had an appt with the chiropractic neurologist, and then with a wedding photographer so it was a busy day. I was pretty uncomfortable by the time I got to the drs. office. He saw me for about 5 min. and told me to go to the ER. I wanted to go tell my Dad and let my dogs out, but he said not to waste any time getting to the ER. By the time I convinced DH to leave me and go home to deal with Dad and dogs, my Dad had called 911 to get the phone number of hospitals. I'm surprised he didn't get into trouble for that! We'd tried to call him, but he doesn't have (or want) a phone in his room, and he can't hear the one in the kitchen when it rings. My poor old dog had wet in her crate, of course.

My DH got back in time to kiss me before they wheeled me into surgery, and he was there when I woke up in my room. The next day he woke up to my old dog peeing blood, and had to take her to the vet before he came to the hospital. My total time in the hospital was less than 24 hours, thank goodness--I hate hospitals. How are you supposed to sleep when they come in every hour, and the nurses are so noisy chatting away. My call button wasn't working either and after I discovered that, I had to pull the phone over to me, dial the operator and get them to ring the nurses station so someone would come in and help me.

I had my DH bring my sz. 14 pants, which are loose on me because I knew I didn't want anything tight, but I couldn't even button them. I imagine it's just bloating (the plumbing isn't working right yet!). Luckily, it's warm enough here to wear shorts so I have a pair of drawstring shorts on.

Time to go take a pain pill and lie down. . .
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 10:25 PM   #12  

Hello Everyone,

Sheila, so relieved to read your post. I thought we wouldn't hear from you for a few days. Thank you for posting. What a bummer, if it was going to happen, better it happen now than when you are in the middle of the days before the wedding. Of course you seem to be the type of person that can handle things easily, and not get rattled. So sorry to hear about your poor dog, when it rains, it pours doesn't it? I hope you have that big pointy stick that Puss mentioned in her post, and that you are letting everyone baby you for awhile. You deserve to be pampered, you pamper everyone else, so now it is your turn. Sounds like you really put a scare into DD, sure hope he is ok.
Did the people at 911 help your Dad find the hospital that you were in? Get lots of rest, please.

Charlotte, I miss your posts, you have so much to think about right now and to take care of, we are the last on your list, I am sure, and that is o.k. I hope your health is improving by each day now that you have had another treatment. I can't even pretend to know what you are going through, but I know I don't like seeing you hurting, so it is important that you get back to your old self. It would certainly be a miracle if science came up with a system where by you just had to air shoot medication into you skin and you would not have to invade any veins or muscles in your body with needles. Think of the conditions where people have to give themselves their own injections that this would help. I have my interest peaked now, I am going to see 1st and 2nd DD's this weekend, 1st is a Medical Technologist and 2nd is a RN they know about all of these things. When I am with them I can be a little overwhelmed, when they start talking about medicine. 3rd DD is an Occupational Therapist, and DS is married to a Veternarian. See what I mean? anyway, that is all besides the point. Just want your house done for you, and your DS's troubles to disappear and for you to be pain free. That is not asking for too much is it?

SunnyD, we are still experiencing later winter weather conditions, the wind came off Lake Michigan today and it felt like it was going to snow again. We still have our furnace running at night. I am so excited for you with your weight loss. Please post some pictures of yourself in your new clothes from your shopping spree. We had a Fashion Bug here until about a year ago and then it went out of business. I don't know why, there were always shoppers shopping there whenever I stopped in. They always had some really cute clothes, shoes and jewlery. Our city could use a really good reasonably priced clothes shop, but we never seem to get one here. Either the shops are for teens or the clothes are ridicuously expensive. Keep up the good work and know we are in your corner cheerleading for you!

Puss, thank you for the heads up on the Anne Bolyn novel, I will go on site to our local library and see if it is checked in, and if so put on hold and pick it up after work. I will post you on how I like it or not. When in school ages ago, history was my absolute favorite subject. Math was my least, but being an auditor? I would imagine Math was your forte right? I love the library, when I was growing up we lived around the block from the library and I went there almost every evening in the winter and during the day during summer vacation. I always had my nose in a book. I wanted to be a librarian when I grew up, but somewhere along the way, I married a farmer and ended up raising children, cooking large meals, driving tractor and giving DH a hand whenever he needed it along with moral support. And I didn't turn out too badly at all. In fact I think I got the better end of the bargain. Of course somedays when there was one more wagon of hay to bring in, or when I was so tired, we still had the milking to do I wondered if this would ever end. And it did, and I don't miss those darn cows one bit. I will never be sentimental over calves, but they were in my face for so many years. I must admit they are cute to look at from afar. I am hoplessly lost when my washer or dryer malfunctions. I am rather obssessive/complusive about those two machines, I usually need to wash a load of clothes everyday, and of course they need to go into the dryer, and come out wrinkle free. I feel bad for you that you have to deal with a maintenance person and not having a working washer until next week. That is one of my biggest nightmares.

Jacquie enough already with the sinus infection, I get those too and terrific headaches with them. Hope you are feeling better soon. It takes awhile for that antibiotic to kick in.

Willow, if you have any warm weather over there try pushing some of it our way. I put an extra wool blanket on our bed last night, I just couldn't warm up. I planted three peony bushes last year, three different lovely colors of pink and only one survived. I thought peonies lasted forever. I am disappointed. I am glad to hear the warm water at the pool is helping you to feel better. May is only a week away and then you see your doctor at Mayo, hopefully you will get to the reason why your hip is bothering you. How did your sister enjoy her birthday on Tuesday? You mentioned our birthdays were on the same day. I had a reasonably good birthday. I brought in sweet rolls for everyone in the plant and the office. I din't get to eat any though, but that is o.k. I don't miss the sugar.

Well, I am heading out, I wanted to e-mail some notes to my children yet this evening. Take care all.

Bluet
Bluet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:50 AM   #13  

Default Hello Friends

Oh gosh Bonnie, I'm so sorry I forgot your Birthday. Too wrapped up in my own world here. A BELATED VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Hey, the weather here today looks dismal. I think it's suppose to rain all weekend, but I know the farmers need it so I'm all for it in that respect because they need all the breaks they can get.

Charlotte, many years ago when my husband went into the Air Force, they gave shots with air guns, so to speak. It was suppose to be less painful than with a needle. The air shoots a tiny forceful stream of the medication into the skin, the air doesn't go into the skin. I had good luck with them. Needles seem so daunting to some people, but they never bothered me. I had to give insulin shots to my Mom when I was 12 years old, so I got used to it. Her eyes were so bad she couldn't see the marks on the syringe to see how many units of insulin she had in it and she couldn't tell if there were bubbles in it.

Puss, yes I'm usually up very early, but I'm getting a bit lazy with being off work and I'm not complaining a bit. I love not HAVING to be any place at any certain time. I think I'm finally starting to relax internally, but just the THOUGHT of going back to that place gives my stomach the flip flops. Oh well, it's only 2 more years. Sure wish I didn't need that darned insurance. You are so lucky to not have to pay Dr bills. I can't imagine what that must be like to not have that hanging over your head every year of your life.
Land of milk and honey, indeed! We're paying through the nose!
Your upcoming vacation sounds so exotic. I'm jealous!

Sheila, poor Dad! I bet he was frantic worrying over you. Awww, see? A parents worry never ends till their last breath. He's such a cool guy, I just love hearing about him.
I hope your recovery is quick.

Jacquie, I feel for you with a sinus infection. They are very hard to treat because that is a boney cavity and not only that but the ears and throat can become involved which happened to me a couple years ago and I was very sick for almost a month. Get better soon.

Sunny, you are sure going full steam ahead with your weight loss aren't you? That is fabulous, and that clothes shopping spree must have been sooo much fun.

I hope I havent forgotten anyone. Hello to all who are reading this. Have a great day.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:09 AM   #14  

Default Hello, ... Me again

Bonnie, was it you, or who was it that said they had a hip replacement?

Whoever it was, can you tell me what led up to it and what was the post-op like? How bad was the pain after surgery, how long did the pain last and what are your limitations now as far as exercise or any activities?

I know you have to be careful how you sit because there can't be more than a 90 degree angle in the hip joint or it will come out of the socket. (Shudder the thought) But, I'm wondering about riding bike etc. and walking daily. Do you have any pain now? How long ago did you have it done?
Thanks for any info you can give me.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:56 PM   #15  

Default Every Woman

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
...one old love she can imagine going back to...
and one who reminds her how far she has come...

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
...enough money within her control to move out and rent a place of her own
even if she never wants to or needs to...

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
.. something perfect to wear if the employer or date of her dreams wants to see her in an hour...

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
. a youth she's content to leave behind...

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
...a past juicy enough that she's looking forward to retelling it in her old age....

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE

...a set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra...

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE

...one friend who always makes her laugh ... and one who lets her cry...

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE

...a good piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in her family...

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
. eight matching plates, wine glasses with stems, and a recipe for a meal that will make her guests feel honored.

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE

.a feeling of control over her destiny...

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW

...how to fall in love without losing herself...

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW...

...how to quit a job, break up with a lover,
and confront a friend without ruining the friendship...
and how to change a tire!!!!!!!

...when to try harder ... and when to walk away...

...that she can't change the length of her calves, the width of her hips, or the nature of her parents.

. that her childhood may not have been perfect...but its over...

...what she would and wouldn't do for love or more...

. How to live alone. even if she doesn't like it.

...whom she can trust, whom she can't,
and why she shouldn't take it personally...

...where to go... be it to her best friend's kitchen table... or a charming inn in the woods.. when her soul needs soothing...

. what she can and can't accomplish in a day... a month...and a year...