South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 10:33 AM   #1  

Default Discouraged

I'm on week 4, doing a Phase 1.24-1.5 and not dropping a pound and am actually up a pound this morning. I'm not eating that much and not cheating. I can't exercise though, so I know that's part of the problem, but still.............I'm eating so much less than I used to and I feel I should be losing something.

I lost about 6 pounds the first week and only about 2 since then. Very discouraging
Old 04-22-2004, 11:02 AM   #2  

Are you eating enough? If you eat too little your body goes into starvation mode. Also, what makes the biggest difference with me is water. I try to double my intake any time my loss slows down.
I am also a slow loser, but I am plugging away at it anyway. Don't give up.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:05 AM   #3  
Kitten40ish

Wendy are you using fitday to calculate your food intake. It has helped me see where my calories are coming from. You could be not eating enough calories and putting yourself below 1200. That will cause you to go into starvation mode, or you could be eating too many of the wrong kinds of foods.
I cut back on the cheese and nuts some and added an apple for a snack every other day and seem to get back on track. I to am on 1.5. Have been on SB for six and a half weeks. After week three i started 1.5 phase. My 1.5 is that I added oatmeal every other morning, eating eggs everyday was getting old, and an occasional apple and strawberrys for snack or dessert. Have not had bread, pasta, rice or potatoes since I started. Don't miss them.
I've also read that if you don't have a lot of weight to loose, it comes off much slower.
Hang in there. You are 8 pounds lighter then you were four weeks ago. That has to make you feel better than knowing you could weigh what you weighed before you started. As for me if I hadn't of started I might have weighed even more, and that scares me more than loosing slowly.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:17 PM   #4  

I think fitday would be hard for me to use cause I get alot of my food at carry-outs so I don't really know how much I'm getting. Like I get scrambled eggs with peppers from a food bar and it's impossible to judge just how many eggs it is, or how much veges.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:28 PM   #5  

Wendy- I think you just anwered your own question. Since you eat out lots, you can never be sure what exactly you're eating. It may be high in saturated fat or have sugar added. It's tough to lose weight while eating out a lot, regardless of what diet you're on. Plus, with no exercise to boost metabolism........ Well, it's just going to be a lot harder. Still absolutly worth it, but hard.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:49 AM   #6  
Chickpea

You might find this interesting about weighing:

http://groups.msn.com/SouthBeachDiet...69148733808700

I think you are doing great. I am only down about 6 pounds in 4 weeks, but my blood pressure is down a whole lot! I'm sticking with this for my health.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:54 AM   #7  
Chickpea

One more good bit of info.:

http://groups.msn.com/SouthBeachDiet...68810825909340

I think we all have different body chemistry, so SBD results will vary widely.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:52 PM   #8  

You do slow down in weeks three and four but this is when the water loss slows down and the fat drops off. Take your measurements as well as your weight. I had a disturbing couple of weeks when I worked out like mad and didn't cheat and all and the scales hardly changed at all but my friends all said I'd lost heaps of weight. I dropped a dress size during this time and fitted into a pair of 3/4 pants that I'd bought at an end of season sale (but couldn't quite fit into) so the fat was obviously disappearing, but the extra muscle was tipping the scales the other way.

It pays to prepare your own food wherever you can so that you can avoid unwanted fats and sugars. I cook up eggs or similar for breakfast and take pouches of tuna, low fat yogurt, low fat cheese and nuts for snacks and have a lean steak, chops or chicken breast with salad or vegies for dinner. All of these are really easy to prepare, healthy and fairly cheap. Once you get into the routine of preparing meals it is much easier. The first couple of weeks I felt that I was cooking all day long.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:59 AM   #9  
Chickpea

Not to beat this topic to death, but the following is from a program chat with Dr. A in the past:

"Tamadee: If I continue to stay focused on Phase 2, is it safe to assume that it will take at least 5-10 more weeks to lose 10 more lbs?

Yes. Phase 2 is a slow weight-loss phase but sticking with it rather than prolonging Phase 1 is important for sustaining weight loss. Studies have shown that progressive, rapid weight loss results in yo-yo dieting. The reason is that too rapid weight loss results in loss of muscle and bone mass, which slows our metabolism and makes it difficult to maintain our weight or to lose more weight."

Above from: http://www.mizfrogspad.com/South_Bea...t_06-19-03.htm

Also found a bit of info. called Breaking Through Your Low Carb Plateau at

http://www.lowcarbexercise.com/low-carb-plateau.html
Closed Thread