Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 09:59 AM   #1  
Reeling Reverend

Default FF Half/Half ingredients.. Yours?

I noticed this morning, MUCH to my dismay, that both the FF half and halfs I have in the fridge, one Land O Lakes, one store brand, list high fructose corn syrup as ingredients! What's up with that? Has anyone found one that has legal ingredients? Here I was thinking I was doing myself a favor, and BOOM! HFCS.

On another HFCS tangent... I had been getting mini whole wheat pitas (Sahara brand) and noticed it as an ingredient as well. The store brand, which is also $1.30 cheaper, has all natural ingredients and no HFCS.

WATCH OUT!!
Old 04-13-2004, 10:07 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

CRAP! Thanks, Crystal! I didn't notice that, either! We'd better send them a nasty letter.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:11 AM   #3  
Reeling Reverend

Much as love sending nice-o-grams, I'll send nastygrams in a heart beat!! I'm on the lookout for a suitable substitute, I'll keep ya posted...

Fatherless rodents...
Old 04-13-2004, 11:40 AM   #4  

Yep, I noticed that about the half & half too and haven't been able to find one without it as of yet. So I switched over to the Low Carb International Delight stuff cause I like it alot better.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:17 AM   #5  
kpw

Thanks for the tip on Low Carb International delight, I'll see if I can find it. I've never seen F/F half and half without corn syrup and have been surprised that it keeps getting recommended by folks on SBD - it was so confusing!

The good carb cookbook recommends using evaporated skim or lowfat milk as substitute for heavy cream. Haven't tried it yet-
Old 04-18-2004, 07:59 AM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

We're all pretty much confused here, Kpw. Particularly the moderators.
I almost always use powdered skim milk in my coffee. I occasionally treat myself to cream.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:10 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 251/235/150

I am new to sbd, coming over from sugar busters. I have reg half and half, it lists only milk and cream. Why is this not ok?
Old 04-19-2004, 11:40 AM   #8  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Because cream is NOT OK - too high in saturated fat. That's why ff is recommended. I guess the high fructose corn syrup is not as big a sin as real cream! IMHO, it would cause carb cravings. I'd stick with evaporated skim milk in my coffee.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:07 PM   #9  

I believe the corn syrup's the reason we are limited to 2 TBLS of the fat free half and half. There's only 2 g of sugar in 2 T, so that's why it's legal IMO.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:05 PM   #10  
Reeling Reverend

Makes sense. Can't we just get the surgery? I mean, really. I wouldn't need cream except that I make my coffee entirely too strong, and I need to cut the strength of it somehow!! Thanks for all of your input, gals.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:00 PM   #11  

I think the Low Carb International Delight has about 3 grams carbs per serving, very close to the Ff half & half but it packs alot of flavor (uses artificial sweeteners). The Hazelnut if really good and it's about the only 'cheat" I allow myself.
Closed Thread