Old 04-17-2004, 12:54 AM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #15

Good Evening, Flowers!
I've spent most of today, as well as yesterday afternoon and evening, in the recliner with a huge ice pack wrapped around my foot. For the first time in my entire life, I got in early for my surgery appointment. The actual time in the OR was 20 minutes -- it took longer to fill out the paperwork and hook up the IV line. My pain pills are wonderful and I have no pain. The doctor did put a pin in and I can see it sticking out which seems weird. He doesn't want me to go back to school until he sees me next Thursday. I had planned to go back on Monday but I must follow doctor's orders!

Maggie -- Congratulations on another GREAT loss! You are off to a super start and will meet your 10# goal early. Will is definitely a keeper! Bob will do anything I ask him to, but for some reason stears clear of the laundry room.

I am heading off to bed. Hope you all have a nice weekend! It is supposed to rain here but so far the weathermap shows it going around us. We need it as we are pretty dry and the farmers are starting to plant.

Jean -- in Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 02:23 PM   #2  
Web Nana

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Just a short note as we will be leaving for church in an hour and then on to a reunion with DH's work friends. It is about 1 hour away and we will leave directly from church. I got ready early and had a few minutes to post.
Have had a great weekend so far and it is only Saturday. Yesterday DH took me to a great little restaurant down the coast, and as it is a seasonal place it was their first day open...only opens 6:30Am to 3PM. Exceptional food for such a small place. I'll bet the chef could work any 1st class place in Boston. Had what they call 'Crazy Ceasar Salad'. It had roasted garlic, roasted asparagas, artichoke hearts and roasted red pepper and shrimp over the romaine and with the best dressing. MMM GOOD! DH mentioned it would be my birthday today and they rang the bell over the bar and everyone sang Happy Birthday to me! She brought over what I could just as well have done without but......it was a warm brownie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and strawberry and hot sauce and whipped cream with a cherry on top. I did share and made sure that DH had the biggest portion.

JEANGlad to hear your surgery is over and it won't be long before you are feeling better. Do what the DR. says and you won't be sorry.

MAGGIE Congratulations on the weight loss!!!!! It won't be long before you have to set a new goal. Great going!!

FayeWelcome back. Sounds like you had a great time! Also glad Kelly accident wasn't worse...you can always replace tires. From you pictures it looks like you visited the Venetian and the Paris Hotels. Aren't they spectacular!!!!!! Stayed at the Paris but only visited the Venetian but maybe will try to stay their another time.

Gloria in MA.....need to get going....'see' you all later.
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 09:21 PM   #3  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
It is so very windy here and we have storm warnings out. We need the rain but not the hail that has been falling to the west of us. I spent a lazy day catching up on some magazines and doing a couple loads of laundry. I combine trips up and down the stairs so I can do more that one thing at a time. I almost feel guilty about not going to school tomorrow but I will get over it quickly! I've had no pain meds today and I'm pleasantly surprised that there is no real pain -- just sort of a dull ache to remind me to be careful of that foot!

Gloria -- Happy Birthday a day late! Your lunch sounds like it was a yummy one!

Have a marvelous Monday, Flowers! I will see you tomorrow!

Jean -- in Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 04-18-2004 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:55 AM   #4  

Gloria: Happy Birthday to you! I am so glad you had a great celebration.

Jean: Glad you are up and around and feeling better now that it is all done.

We have been working really hard on the condo and have two of the bathrooms finished. The downstairs bath looks like someone elses room. It is so beautiful. A nice bright aqua with a dark aqua for the cabinet and countertop, a new antique light fixture with matching switchplates, new antique looking cabinet door knobs that are leaves and a pretty chair rail border of plants etc that looks really good. I put my Thomas Kincade painting and music box in there and then did the rest of the room sort of beachy. It looks pretty cool if I do say so myself. Got the upstairs repainted and the wallpaper reglued in places it had come loose. Don't want to redo that room right now. I am going to clean up the deck and get my patio furniture and grill out today and that will be today's project. Tomorrow I start on the kitchen cabinets and repaint them. They are currently an off white and since dummys that we are, we bought all white appliances, I am going to repaint them white.

Jack replastered a couple places in the living room and downstairs bath and used this spray stuff to "re-texture" the ceiling. He put out a big drop cloth but the stuff really goes everywhere and I now have white specks on my red brick fireplace. Oh, well, I was going to paint them to match the mantel anyway! The stuff dries almost instantly so we can't get it off!

Better get some yogurt into me and tackle the deck! The birds have made it their public restroom so I have all of that to clean up too! ICK!

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 12:14 PM   #5  

Talking

Good Morning, Flowers!
I'm just peeking in on one of my trips upstairs to gather up more laundry. It's a cloudy and cool day today. We did get some rain last night and the temperature has dropped from 85 to 45! It's "almost" cold outside! I don't think we had any wind damage -- at least I can't see any from my windows.

Not much planned for today except another load of laundry. I'm sorting through clothes for the church rummage sale, Good Will, and those to keep around for a while longer. I did find a sweater I forgot I had!

"Gma" -- Your bathroom sounds pretty! Did you take any pictures? I don't think we have sat on our deck a dozen times in the last 2 years. I really wanted a 3 season room but DH wanted the deck. It's either too hot (no shade) or too buggy most of the time. I hope you win the war with the birds! Good luck!

I hope you all have a great day today! Don't forget to do something nice for yourself!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-19-2004, 11:34 PM   #6  
Thin Within

Arrow Monday Evening

Yes it is truly Spring ~ our Red Barron Peach tree has peaches on it the size of large grapes. When it bloomed it had huge beautiful dark pink flowers all over he little thing. We just planted it last year as a mere twig. We put a tall wire fence around it so the deer wouldn't eat the poor scrawney thing now we need to do something to keep the birds from feasting on the fruit.

I have been going through a few cookbooks and just taking the recipes that I like out of them. I never want to cook all that comes in them. I filled up two small binders out of 6 large books. Heavy books. I am still weight conscious because one day we will go traveling again. They were the yearly Cooking Light and yearly WW ones.

FAYE your bathroom does sound lovely! How nice that you are happy with your re-decorating. Go get those birds!

JEAN it is nice that your operation doesn't restrict you too much. At least you can do that laundry.

GLORIA and many more! Sounds like you had a wonderful dinner.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 10:28 AM   #7  

Good morning ladies! I have been out and walking this morning already but the humidity is awful! Guess we are in for a hot humid summer, but that means it is almost POOOOOOLLLLLLLLL time and you know what that means for me!!!!

Jean: I tried to take pics, but our bathroom downstairs is so small all I got were the color of the walls! Hope the foot is doing well this morning!

Maggie: Well, I didn't get the birds, but I cleaned up their nasty mess. I felt like a sailor swabbing the decks yesterday but now my deck is all clean and my furniture and grill are all set up. Now I need to tackle my dirt space! I want to put white rocks in it as I am definitely not a green thumb though in the 80's when we lived in base housing I did grow some pretty azaleas. I just am not a gardener (allergies for one thing) but it is pretty nasty looking with tree sprouts etc in the dirt where seeds have landed along with plain ole weeds and a tiny patch of grass around the AC unit that Jack needs to take the weed whacker to.

You ladies have a great day!

Faye
Old 04-21-2004, 12:54 AM   #8  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
I wrote a nice long post this morning and it went **POOF** into cyberspace somewhere. I'm not sure what happened but I didn't take time to do it over at the time. Now I can't remember what I wrote! It was a rainy, dreary day in my corner of the world. We need the rain so I won't complain. The sun came out late this afternoon and boy are my windows ever dirty! I spent part of the day rearranging some drawers and closet shelves. I found two boxes of clothes that I forgot I had packed away so will go through them tomorrow. Obviously if I haven't worn them in a year they could go to the rummage sale but I want to check to be sure.

Maggie -- Peaches ~~ YUM! I'm anxious for the fresh fruits and veggies to be available in our stores. The winter stuff just doesn't taste the same at all. I take the Quick Cooking magazine and pass it along to my MIL when she is here for the summer. She likes to try new recipes (on us) so I copy quite a few from her only to find out I had it, in the magazine, in the first place. I have a hard time deciding if a recipe will taste good or not; I'm not a creative cook at all.

"Gma" -- Our humidity has not arrived yet and I would just as soon it wait until school is out! We have 25 days of classes left and 4 days of finals. Maybe you should put a couple of those whirly-wiggers on your deck to scare the birds away. That or it could make the poop problem worse. I can tell I have been up and down the stairs a few times today as my foot feels like it is ready to be up on a pillow and in bed!

Have a wonderful Wednesday! Hopefully this post will go where it is supposed to land.

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 04-21-2004, 11:14 AM   #9  

Morning ladies! Went out and walked in a light rain this morning, which I enjoy sometimes, but the humidity is just terrible already! I dread it this summer if it is this bad already.

I am back to sending out resumes again. I have decided if I find a job fine, if not to heck with it. I told Jack last night that because I don't want a high stress secretarial job that no one is considering me for the receptionist positions, A) they want some young doofus, B) I have too much experience in other secretarial areas. I applied at an animal clinic (not mine as no one has even called me about that job and I think they are just filling in with their current workers) and that would be fun I think. Why do you HAVE to have a job that stresses you out? I am not asking for high wages and am satisfied with what they would offer, but I never even hear from them to go on a first interview. I have updated my resume so many times it isn't funny. Even sent it to my sister, who is a legal secretary to see what she thinks and she said it looks great so maybe I ought to send one with misspelled words and incorrect grammer and they would talk to me then? What ya think????

I am on to more painting today. I did the lower cabinets on one side of the kitchen yesterday and am doing the uppers today. I do one section a day and that way I don't get disgusted nor do I get too tired. I need to go out to the garage and get the paint for the countertops and kitchen so I can spruce them up too as I go along. Our countertops chip, which I knew they would, but for some reason, they won't take a coat of polyurethane without streaking really bad so the paint must be incompatible with it or something.

Have a good day everyone!

Faye
Old 04-21-2004, 05:25 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's a nice 60 degrees here with a hazy sun peeking in and out and just a slight breeze. The TV has been interrupting programs with storm warnings to the west of us. I suppose we will get them eventually. I don't mind so much when it is light and I can see what is happening outside. I didn't sleep very well last night so took a nap this afternoon. I don't know what my problem is other than DH tossed and turned and two cats kept moving around my feet. "Mom" makes a tour of the bed every so often and puts her paw on a face, ever so gently. She purrs so loud that it's hard to ignore her. I told DH that tonight everyone gets a Tylenol PM before we go to bed! I need my beauty sleep because I have a doctor's appt. bright and early tomorrow morning. I was in hopes the stitches and pin would come out but when I called to ask for a bigger shoe, the nurse said the stitches stay in for 2 weeks and the pin for 4. The pin will work it's way out as the bone heals. Yuckko! She will also show me how to bandage it so that the pin doesn't show and there is more cushion over my toe for when I go back to school. For some reason my other toes have just turned black and blue and are swelling today. I hope that is not a bad sign.

"Gma" -- You have been one ambitious gal today! Refresh my memory . . . what color are you painting your cabinets? You will find a job when you least expect to, I can feel it. I've thought about doing something else but our town is so small and there is just not many jobs open right now. Most of them get filled by knowing someone who already works there and getting the inside scoop before the job is advertised. I refuse to be the Wal Mart greeter just yet! Our WM has a blower right inside the door where you pick up carts. I would think that anyone standing there for very long would soon be deaf! There are also heating/cooling units - blowers throughout the store and I hate it when I have to stand under one to look for something.

Well, I should think of something for supper. DH brought home lots of meat to grill so suppose I will put together a salad and call it good. I've gotten so lazy I've been buying bagged lettuce for school lunches and now I am spoiled.

Hope you all have a nice evening and a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 04-22-2004, 05:09 AM   #11  

Jean: What is the old adage, Idle hands are the devil's workshop? Yeah, that's me ambitious so I don't EAT! Actually, I just do what I can each day. Yesterday was really tough. For one reason, I don't want to take all the cabinet doors down and it was rainy here yesterday, which of course causes the ole bones to ache so standing on a ladder painting really killed my feet, ankles and calves yesterday. The cabinets were called Birch Bark, which is just a fancy name for off-white and I just put bright white semil-gloss on so they would match the appliances. The appliances make the cabinets look like a smoker is in the house, if you know what I mean. Oh, as to your TYlenol PM comment, I read an article by a dr who said that IF you are not taking it as a pain med as well as a sleeping aid, to switch to Benadryl as it is the drug in Tylenol PM and you are not putting an un-needed drug into you system that way. He said Benedryl is pretty harmless and can be taken everyday if needed with no side effects. I changed a few years ago to Benedryl as I take enough Advil as it is. I guess TYlenol is pretty rough on the liver and Advil or aspirin products make the stomach bleed. Sheesh, so much for pain meds!

Oh, yep, I am up early but had to go to the bathroom, AGAIN, so decided to check on a bank deposit and since I was sitting here thought I would go ahead and post. I am now going to go back to bed until the alarm rings at 5:15 and then we will see if I stay there or get up!

Does anyone talk to Bubbles outside of the thread since she doesn't post anymore? I have thought of her many times, but lost her e-mail address when we changed to AOL.

Faye
Old 04-22-2004, 01:33 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
I just got back from my doctor appt. -- he acutally turned the toe with the pin in it because he didn't like the direction it was pointing -- sideways kinda sorta. I go back in 2 weeks to have the stitches taken out and am cleared to go back to school. I toyed with the idea of going back this afternoon but only for a second. Decided I would enjoy the rest of my last "sick" day and go tomorrow which is a half day with students. I have a feeling that my foot will hurt/ache after just walking from the car to the building and between classes.

"Gma" -- Thanks for the Tylenol/Benedryl information! The doctor told me to try Aleve or ibuprofen for pain. I've tried Motrin and Advil over the years and can't tell any difference between them. I used to take Excedrin all the time until my MIL developed an ulcer from taking too much of it for too many years. I can also get a prescription pain reliever that won't put me to sleep which is what Vicodin does to me. I haven't had anything since Sat. night so I'm hoping I won't need to take anything for pain. I did sleep better last night and evidently the cats got tired of us tossing and turning the night before because they slept elsewhere last night. One always sleeps in a shoe box by register in our bedroom. I'm not sure where the other two ended up but it was nice not to have lumps down by my feet. Once in awhile I will get a "forwarded" something from Bubbles but no personal message. I wish she would come back to us. I hope your painting aches and pains are gone today.

I need to keep moving. DH should be coming home for lunch any time. Have a great "rest of the day!"

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 04-23-2004, 05:36 AM   #13  

Good early morning, but I can hear the birdys (darn them) chirping loudly outside!

Boy, I may have taken on something totally stupid, but oh well, it isn't the first time! I have scheduled a reunion for the thread I administer for next year in Chicago. I tried to do this last year, but then the whole thread changed its "members" and I think I only have 3 original members left that are still posting. I took a US map and looked at where everyone lived and then picked a city with the closest proximity to the largest part of the group. I have 2 ladies from Canada, one from the UK, one from Oregon and one from Maine, but the rest are midwesterners, upper south. I don't know if it was wise, but I included everyone in this including those that don't post anymore, hoping to get them back on track, especially one lady that lives in Alabama. She was in my original group and was going gangbusters for nearly a year and then just dropped off. She has had a lot of personal issues that I know of, but I just wished she would go back to her program. I, unfortunately, can mother only so much, it has to be their desire to do this and I know it. I guess it is just that I know what positive things can come from losing weight and keeping it off from my own personal experience and want that for everybody.

Today is commissary day, (oh joy!) and it usually takes up a good part of the day so no painting for me again today. I don't know if I am happy or not about that. It is a pain to do these cabinets, but I want to get them done. I guess I can work on them this weekend. Jack has to get up in the attic and find out why the lighting in our bedroom isn't working and that is going to be a hot and icky job. There was a ceiling fan in the room that they had taken down and left in pieces and we didn't put back up. She told me it didn't work, but I didn't know it was the electrical part that didn't work as we have a halogen lamp in the room we have always used for light.

Well, I best go as it will be time for Jack to get up in just a little while and I will need to get around and get things done.

Faye
Old 04-23-2004, 11:36 PM   #14  

Talking

Good Evening, Flowers!
Not much going on in my corner of the world tonight. I hardly slept at all last night, think I looked at the clock every hour on the hour. I don't know what my problem is but I don't feel tired tonight either. Today went ok at school and I got along fine. I ended up staying an extra two hours to clear off my desk to be ready for Monday. I called to make a haircut appointment for next week and got in late this afternoon. I think it is too short but it will grow. *sigh* Why is it that one day the hair is just right and the next day it won't do anything except stick out all over?

"Gma" -- Another group that I post with held a reunion in New York City and they ended up on the Today Show (or whichever show is there). They had T-shirts made and those of us who couldn't go video taped the program. I hope your reunion plans materialize; I know you will have a great time! Are you going to include husbands and significant others? Maybe you could be on Oprah! Working in the attic is NOT fun -- DH ran a phone line for Beth when she was a senior in high school. Our attic is not finished and he was sure he could feel little eyes watching him work.

I'm off to unload the dishwasher and pick up the kitchen before heading to bed. Have a relaxing weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 04-23-2004 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2004, 02:53 PM   #15  
Thin Within

Arrow MONDAY & WEIGH DAY

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I have changed my weigh day from Thursday to this day and have a good report from the Iron Monster who said I am down 3.6 since my last weigh day of the 15th which brings my total loss for the month of April to 12.2 pounds lost of hussy fat. Soon maybe I can get down to losing virgin fat once again. I will NEVER (and I am saying never) gain this weight back again. It is lost forever. Or released ~ if it is lost then it may find it's self back home but if I release it it is GONE. Bye Bye fat!

This is post number 14 so whoever reads this can have the pleasure of starting a new thread.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote