South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 03:44 PM   #1  

Unhappy Not losing....HELP!!!

Hello chickies!

Well, I have spent multiple weeks on Phase 1 and am struggling to lose the weight. I am close to my goal, so is that the reason? Do I stay at Phase 1 or do I move on? It is so frustrating! Is there anything I can do to jumpstart my weight loss?

I am starting to get so frustrated that it's causing me to cheat. I ate one sourdough roll at Easter and am back up to 146. I want to give up, but I don't. I want to actually make it to my goal and stay there. All the other times I've dieted I've lost a significant amount of weight, but then I stop and gain some of it back. I don't want to do that anymore! I want to stick with this for life.

Sorry to vent, I just though someone may have some advice, or at least a good kick in the right direction for me.
Old 04-13-2004, 04:47 PM   #2  

I doubt that one roll would make you gain weight...you know, we could drive ourselves crazy trying to figure out how our bodies work.

I guess the main question is do you feel like Phase 1 has done its job? IE - have you gotten rid of all of your cravings?

Remember, Phase1 is for starting fresh, getting rid of cravings, eating healthy.
Weight loss is just a benefit.

You should move on to Phase 2 when you no longer feel the cravings. I firmly believe that in order to be craving-free, you need to do Phase 1 without cheating. I know for me, if I had something not OP, I would spend all my time thinking about it.

After I finished Phase1, physically I wasn't craving the foods, but mentally I was. I mean, someone could eat a yummy piece of bread in front of me & I was okay with that, but I knew that if I took a bite, my old bad habits would kick in.

So, I went with Phase 1.5. I waited for awhile, then I added a fruit (apples) a day (mainly because I needed to eat it, if you know what I mean). Then I added Fiber One Cereal.

I am less than 25 lbs. away from my goal, but I am very conscious about what will trigger me.

Sorry for the long read, I hope this helped!

PS - Did the roll taste good? I'd be happy to sniff one nowadays!!
PPS - I also think that being close to your goal has something to do with it. Good for you!! You are so close!
Old 04-13-2004, 08:01 PM   #3  

Thanks for the advice. I think the idea of moving to Phase 1.5 is a good idea. I really have gotten rid of the cravings, although I would like to be able to add some fruit back in. I have been keeping myself at phase 1 for so long, maybe moving on and upping my exercise will at least help to lose the inches if the pounds are being too stubborn at the moment.

Thank you so much for the advice! And to tell you the truth, the roll wasn't as good as I had expected it to be. I really could have done without it!
Old 04-13-2004, 10:19 PM   #4  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

This is straight from SBD:
Plateau Problems
It is not uncommon to reach a plateau in Phase 2 of the South Beach Diet , especially as you get closer to your target weight. If your weight loss has stalled, here are three strategies for getting back on track:
1. Try eating different foods. Sometimes dieters get into a food rut, eating the same things day in and out. Change your diet and you may start losing weight again.
2. Get adequate exercise. Plateauing may result from losing too much muscle mass (as well as fat). Maintaining muscle mass with exercise helps burn calories and boost metabolism.
3. Return to Phase 1. If you have plateaued for several weeks and still have a fair amount of weight to lose, return to Phase 1 for a kick-start.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:17 PM   #5  

Move on to Phase 2 or at least 1.5. Are you exercising? It can make a big difference.

Hang in there!
Old 04-15-2004, 02:14 AM   #6  
kpw

I did strict phase 1 for 12 days and lost 5 lbs easy - went to phase II and have stayed on it for the last 7 weeks - lost anohter 4. my weight loss goals are moderate (12 lbs total), but both my husband and i did phase I strict and lost significant amount of weight. if you can just stick to phase 1 for 2 weeks, believe me, apples and whole grain cereal are like treats - we've really changed our eating habits and have stuck to phase II (with weekend slips to phase III) and have been really happy with our weight loss (3 lbs to go for 12 lbs total). i say, stick to phase I for at least 2 weeks, then see- don't give up yet!

good luck!

Last edited by kpw; 04-15-2004 at 02:16 AM.
Closed Thread