Old 04-10-2004, 02:55 PM   #1  
Live for the Moment!

Default Question about Weight Loss per Week?

Hello Ladies,

Just wondering as most of you are more experienced in this than I am...

Do you find that after a couple months/weeks the weight loss does get faster for a bit?

Like, I've been on plan with food and excersise for 3 weeks now and have lost 4 lbs.. and am wondering if there comes a time that you go through a phase where the loss is faster?

Cheers
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 03:04 PM   #2  

Heya Celina,

I've done this before, and I tend to lose really well and then slow down about half way through it. I've been doing some reading on here though and losing the weight slow tends to prevent less loose skin after the weight loss. That kind of put me on track. I want to lose it slow as opposed to having alot of loose skin. I am sure hoping that will be the case. I've had three kids, and I just don't think my tummy is ever going to be the same again.

I think alot of it depends on the what you are eating and the exercise. I was dissapointed last week at losing 2 pounds and with some encouragement and reasearching I've learned that slow is indeed the best way to go.

4lbs. is great. You are off to a wonderful start! Keep it up.
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 06:53 PM   #3  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Smile

Celina, I agree with Tammy that over the long-term, slower is better, but I think four pounds in three weeks might be a little on the slow side. They say that up to 2 pounds is safe and advisable. I wouldn't worry about it too much, since you're headed in the right direction -- but if you feel up to it, it might be helpful to post your plan (both eating and otherwise) so that you can get some feedback and wisdom from some of the knowledgeable folks here. I know you're on WW, but what are you actually eating? Without knowing your eating plan, I'd just ask if your water intake is high enough, or if you're possibly overestimating your portions (something super easy to do for a lot of us!) or perhaps consuming too much sodium; and in your exercise, are you doing resistance training and possibly building muscle, which weighs more. Do you know if your body fat percentage has gone down at all? And how do your clothes feel -- any change? If not, then I'd revisit your diet.

What do they say at WW?
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 10:06 PM   #4  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

4 pounds in three weeks is actually pretty right-on. I just recently went to a nutritionist, and she advised me that she'd like to see me 20 pounds lighter at Christmas. That's a pretty slow rate of loss. She said people who lose it slowly are much more likely to keep it off.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 01:50 AM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Personally, I say forget the scale. I already hear the moans from the group now. "I can't live without the scale!" "But how will I know if I'm doing it right." If you're dieting AND you're exercising (and if you're like me and you're lifting weights), the scale is gonna do nothing but depress you.

Journal. Keep track of your diet (I count fat and calories but I'm not going to knock you if you're doing something else) and if you need a marker, use a tape measure.

Gaining muscle can be a frustrating thing if you're watching the scale and it can throw your whole plan off track. Just keep it in mind.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:54 AM   #6  

Hi Celina

I'm relatively new to this, but am happily losing very slowly (19 lbs since November) - everything I've read says 1/2 lb to 2 lb a week is the way to go - otherwise you are losing muscle and/or water, rather than that lovely fat! In the past few weeks, I have been focussing on exercise, adding a (very low!) weights programme to my swimming and Pilates, and exercising every day, and I think this is slightly increasing my rate of weight loss. If it helps any, I have found it more motivating and encouraging to focus on the improvements in my health, energy levels and fitness, and the loosening of my clothes, in preference to the scales. The other question I repeatedly ask myself, is 'what's the rush??' - this is a long-haul game (ie the rest of my life!), and for me its more important to have a way of eating, exercising and living that is sustainable, than one which might yield quicker scale results, but which is too restrictive to live with permanently.
artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:53 PM   #7  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennelle
4 pounds in three weeks is actually pretty right-on. I just recently went to a nutritionist, and she advised me that she'd like to see me 20 pounds lighter at Christmas. That's a pretty slow rate of loss. She said people who lose it slowly are much more likely to keep it off.
Hello, Jennell ~ She's right, insofar as the majority of folks who lose a great deal of weight quickly do so without having modified their eating and behavioral patterns over the long-term. However, a frequent occurrence in highly motivated people, like Celina, who are diligently following a reasonable program, and have a considerable amount to lose (the 100+ range,) find that initially the weight comes off more quickly, and then tapers off to more modified level for the duration of their weight loss, giving them an average of two or so pounds a week. I think Celina's doing fine, but if she wants to lose at a slightly accelerated rate in the beginning, my research tells me that she would not adversely affect her health at all......to the contrary. Her blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol levels could be brought to within healthy ranges if they're elevated at the current time.

It's the whole picture that needs to be considered: not only the overall average of loss, but the impact of the loss on other health concerns as well.

Speaking for myself, I'm following an exceedingly balanced 1400-1550 calorie/day diet, one sustainable for the rest of my life. My weight loss goals at the onset are pretty aggressive, not only because I know I'll lose more initially, but also to get my blood pressure and cholesterol levels down right off the bat; then I'll increase my caloric intake slightly to ramp down to 2 pounds/week until I reach my goal. Then I'll continue these same habits through maintenance.

So Celina, I repeat I think you're on the right track and I wouldn't sweat it....but if you're concerned about ramping it up from 1.3 to 2 pounds a week, I don't think an examination of your practices would hurt anything.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:02 PM   #8  
Live for the Moment!

Thanks for all the insight.. Now for the analyzing.. Here's what I'm following:

1600-1800 Calories per Day (my recommended daily intake to maintain is 2900)
Low Fat Diet, carbs well balanced... no greasy junk food!
Workout - 3 times a week (cardio, upper & lower body weights, abs) Once a week - Aerobic class
Water - 3-5 Liters per Day

Ciao Bellas!
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:51 PM   #9  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I think your doing great!!! Progress is progress. Just think of 4 lbs of butter that have just melted away.

Everyone is different and everyone loses at different rates. Your calorie range sounds on track. Sounds like your getting in 4 days of cardio and weights, so that's good. Jessicca is right when she spoke of the weights (Although I have NO idea how she walked away from the scale!!). Weights change the body but slow the scale. How are you clothes fitting. Do they fit like you've lost 4 lbs, or more like 7-8 lbs. If it's 7-8 that's the weights at work.

At most I might suggest adding another day of cardio, but overall I'd say keep doing what your doing!!!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 11:01 AM   #10  

Celina - sounds to me like you are doing great! Everybody's body sheds weight at different rates....I personally go through months where the scale barely moves and then 10 pounds melt off in 2 or 3 weeks. There really are sooooo many variables. Weight training can in fact increase your weight - however, muscle burns more calories....this is how you raise your metabolism. It means that your body is burning more calories even while you are at rest! Cool!

Slow weight loss is generally suggested for long term results, but as Sarah said, many people go for a quick loss at the beginning and then slow it down. If you are eating the right things, getting exercise and drinking your water, you will see results! For some people the results come quickly, for others they can take time. (I know how frustrating it can be - it has taken me 3 years to loose almost 75 pounds!). The point really is - that you are doing something to improve your health. The scale will lie to you.....you know if you are treating your body well. Keep up the good work!
looosingit is offline   Reply With Quote