Old 04-07-2004, 09:30 PM   #1  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Default Another Chi-Town convention thread

Hey peoples,

I'm definately in, and have already looked into flights and hotel. I've reserved the hotel room and I will be getting my plane ticket this Friday (when I finally get paid!). So, I have a few questions:

1) What days are people arriving and leaving? I plan on getting there Friday morning to take advantage of the day by seeing Chicago a bit. I'd be more than happy to meet up with some other early arrivals to do a bit of sightseeing. Maybe the weather will be nice and we can take a long walk. I also plan on leaving Sunday night (So just staying at the hotel for 2 nights).

2) Do we have scheduled activities or is it more lets play it by ear? Anything is fine with me, I'm sure we will have fun no matter what. There was talk in the earlier "sticky" about speakers, etc. Is anyone going to be speaking? Do we have a conference room or something for a group meeting?

3) Are there any Cubs fans?! I would LOVE to go to Wrigley Field to watch a Cubs game. Anyone else want to do this??? That weekend, the Cubs are going to be playing the Chicago White Sox, a battle of the city (with interleague play, this is a rarity). Tickets might be sold out though ;(. Plus, the game wouldn't be at Wrigley, but at Cominsky Park.

4) If most people are going to be arriving on Friday morning, maybe a group of us could split a cab or ride the train together from the airport. What time are people arriving??

I'm glad I have a mini vacation to look forward to, and it will give me the motivation to lose the weight I've gained!
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I'm arriving Friday at 1:40 pm at Midway and was wondering the same thing about the cab. I'm staying on Sunday because we're meeting the parents of my daughter's fiance that night. I figure since I won't get to meet him before the wedding, meeting his parents is the next best thing??!

We don't really have anything planned that's set in stone as far as I know. Sandi talked about a dinner cruise on the lake, which would be a lot of fun.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 09:54 AM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I will be coming into Chicago early on Friday to meet the early arrivals.

We don't have anything planned in stone yet. I think general plan is Friday is up for grabs, sight seeing, meeting each other, stuff like that. Saturday I think we plan to hit the taste of Chicago early before it gets too crowded. And then a dinner cruise on lake Michigan that night. I know we had planned to do a personal shopper at Marshall Fields too. Do we have a date/time for that?? Sunday is just fun, make a sight seeing walk as people depart. I will be leaving sometime on Sunday. So I too will be staying 2 nights.

I think a baseball game would be fun, but sorry to say, according to www.chisox.com there are no tickets. I think those are the first to go!!!!

Matt - you had mentioned rooming with someone. I think right now, the rooming situation is...

Shelia/sheila's DH
Gonzostar/rochemist
Jacobsmommy/jillegal
Jiff (requested single)
bioaby
Matt
SAPF (not SURE if she's coming yet)
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 03:52 PM   #4  

I'd like to share a cab with someone too. The thought of trying to negotiate all of that by myself is a little intimidating. Do I need to fly into O'Hare or Midway? I don't know very much about Chicago. Also, approximatly how much money should I expect to need to bring with me? Taxi rides, Taste of Chicago, dinner cruise, does anyone know how much any of this will cost? I just want to be prepared! I'm almost completly sure that I will be staying two nights as well. I guess I need to make the final decision soon and get everything booked. I am a huge procrastinator! Can't wait to see you guys there!!

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 04:24 PM   #5  
Long Time Member

O'Hare is a much busier airport, but it's closer than midway. I would think that there are hotel shuttles that will bring you downtown. Let me call the hotel and see what the scoop is with that.

As far as the cash thing, I have NO idea. As we get closer we can start to get ideas like with the cruise and stuff, but taste and shopping. My goodness, I just have NO idea!!

As it gets closer I'll coordinate arrival times and we'll see who can buddy up!
Old 04-08-2004, 04:38 PM   #6  

Sandi, you're so wonderful! I really don't think any of this could have come together without you. Thank you so much for taking care of the details.

Beverly
Old 04-08-2004, 07:13 PM   #7  

Some random Chicago comments...

Cubs tickets are EXTREMELY difficult to come by this year. Tickets to the Cubs/Sox game might be available through ticket brokers or online, but will be ridiculously expensive. Wrigley Field is right off of the Addison stop red line train. There are a lot of restaurants, bars, and shops in the area so you could go take a look at the neighborhood.

Here are some helpful Chicago websites:

The CTA website with bus and train schedules
http://www.transitchicago.com/

The Chicago Tribune's entertainment website (I love this for finding restaurants, concerts, information about museums, etc.)
http://metromix.chicagotribune.com/

During the Taste of Chicago, there is a fun run/walk (I think it's Sunday June 27) called Race to the Taste. It's a 5K run or 2 mile walk depending on what you are interested in doing.
katia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 03:33 PM   #8  
Token rooster

I also wanted to publicly thank Sandi for all of her hard work. You really got the ball rolling with the convention and it would have never been a reality if it wasn't for you.

All of your work is really appreciated!
Old 04-10-2004, 12:13 AM   #9  
Long Time Member

Thanks You guys!!! Your the best!!!

I hardly care what we do, I just can't wait to meet everyone!!!
Old 04-11-2004, 06:13 PM   #10  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

I just wanted to thank Sandi too ~ I am not able to go because of my work schedule ~ don't know if I would be brave enough to go even if I could ~ but I am excited for those of you who are gonna get to go. Hope someone takes pictures and will share them with the rest of us here.

Gayle
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 10:47 AM   #11  
Token rooster

Its official...plane ticket is bought and my room is reserved.

I'll see you all on the 25th!
Old 04-12-2004, 09:59 PM   #12  

Matt, what airport are you flying into and what time will you arrive? I really want to find someone to get from the airport to the hotel with. I just don't like the idea of doing that alone.

Beverly
Old 04-13-2004, 01:51 AM   #13  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

OMG...I am so jelous of you guys....I so want to go. I am just bummed I won't get to meet you all. Hmmm, maybe will do a video teleconfrence type thing....only kidding. Well, as I said before, if this convention is successful, we will have to do one annually all around the country!!! And, I will personally set up one for next year in Boston...!! So, have fun, and I will so be there is spirit!!!!!!
Monkeybabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 11:27 AM   #14  
Long Time Member

Boston??? I LOEV Boston!! It was almost a tie between Chicago and Boston, so I'll be there for that one!!
Old 04-13-2004, 12:35 PM   #15  

I could go to the one in boston! I live in vermont so I could drive in!
dowsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote