South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 12:14 PM   #1  

Talking new here... and questions about fast food & camping

Hello everyone,

First my intro. I'm Liz... from suburban Phila, (43 in June), married to Dave (44), and two kids DS (8) and DD (5). Actually, I am a lifetime member of WW, and had retried their program with not much success. Partly I was bored, and also as many folks have said I was hungry pretty often too. I have been doing SB since March 21, and have lost 6 so far (weigh in day is Sunday). I've been exercising a lot also, and been feeling really great about it. At this point I would say I'm just barely in Phase 2. I try to add a carb here and there, but definitely not more than 1 a day. In fact, yesterday I had what I thought was a whole wheat roll with my salad for lunch (12pm), and by 2pm was desperate for sugar, and had a tootsie pop coz I couldn't stand it anymore But now I know, unless I'm absolutely positive, I won't have any refined breads again for a long time. Doesn't help any that it's the week before my period, so I'm in that craving mode coz of that

Two questions:

Tonight the kids and I have to go out and do some shopping and will probably pick up fast food on the way (I won't get home til 6pm or so). We have a McD's, Wendy's, and BK closeby. What's my best choice? One of the salads, right?

Also, next weekend DS and I are going with his cub scout pack camping (probably just Sat. morning to Sunday morning). We will have a cabin, but not sure what else. Any good portable foods? (the cubmaster knows I'll bring my own stuff as needed and I did ask him what he plans for menus).

Thanks for all your help, and look forward to chatting!

Liz
5'9"
248/242/160
Old 04-09-2004, 01:12 PM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Welcome to The Beach, Liz.
I'm not much on fast foods as I live in a small village but I had a fajita at McDonalds yesterday. It was a white flour tortilla but not too damaging. I've tried their salads too and they are acceptable. I think the Atkins wraps at Subway would be OK once in awhile too.
As to camping, why not wait until you know the weekend menu and then work around that? Pistachios would be on my list for sure!
Old 04-09-2004, 02:31 PM   #3  

For camping I would definately take a variety of nuts, and maybe you could take a small cooler with cheeses, low fat lunch meat, and some raw veges (if you like them - I don't). Maybe it would be a good time to introduce some fruit into your diet too, since it so portable. Maybe some blueberries or strawberries would be good since they are good as part of a meal as well as a snack.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:32 PM   #4  

I had a Wendy's salad today and it wasn't that great. The dressing choices they have are all high in fat and sugar and the lettuce had seen better days (some slimey lettuce at the bottom). I have a friend who loves the McDonald's salads, but I haven't tried them yet. If you have Subway, that probably the best tasting, but also a bit more expensive than the other options. You can get any sub on an Adkins wrap or as a salad. They also have a whole line of new salads now. I had one a few days ago and it was yummy. Plus you can get anything you want on it, and you pretty much know that it's fresh. Oh, and BK has those platters now which aren't anything fancy, but they get the job done..............
Of course, you could order a grilled chicken sandwich just about anywhere and eat it without the bread. And just about everyone has a side salad to go with it.

As for camping, I'm partial to turkey burgers. I make them like normal, and then cut them into chunks and put them on a low carb tortilla with all my favorite toppings (I really like turkey burgers made with a bit of garlic, and egg white and a pack of onion soup mix, but that's just me being "fancy"). Nuts are good, of course. Maybe carrots or broccoli and dip. Lunch meats and cheeses.

I seem to be writing a book here, so I'll stop now. Good Luck!
Old 04-09-2004, 03:41 PM   #5  

Would a shake, like the Atkins shakes, be OK on Phase 2? Those would be pretty handy to take camping.............
Old 04-09-2004, 04:56 PM   #6  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Dr Agatston does NOT approve of shakes like the Atkins ones.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:04 PM   #7  

You could take a salad with some low fat deli meats for lunch the first day and take some yogurt and cheese in one of those little cooler bags for your snacks the first day. Take nuts for snacks as they can store well. A lot depends on what is on the menu. Those camps aim for high starch to fill the kids up because they are so active all weekend. If they are making burgers you could have the meat patty and salad and not the bun. Have some extra nuts or something to fill you up though.

I went on camp a couple of weekends ago and took none of my own food. I tried to stay on plan the best I could but it was difficult. I tried to be as active as I could while I was away (Friday night to Sunday night) to counteract the carbohydrates but ended up eating the deserts and morning and afternoon teas (muffins, chocolate biscuts, truffles ...). I went back on phase one Monday morning and increased my exercise and the pounds that put on were gone by Wednesday.

I am going away again next weekend and not sure what to do about food. I am staying in a house with friends for the weekend. It is going to be cold so there is not much point taking salad things. Besides we will be out during the day. I think I will be eating subway wraps somehow.
Old 04-09-2004, 08:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Welcome to our beach, Lizzinpa! And guess what? WE'RE NEIGHBORS!! I live in Downingtown, too, (actually Thorndale), next to the golf course. It's really a small world! We're going to have to get together sometime..
Old 04-09-2004, 09:05 PM   #9  

Smile Yes, we really are neighbors!

I'm in West Bradford (Victoria Crossing)!! So I'm literally a stone's throw from you! Betcha shop at the Giant, right?! ;-)

It's a small world! let's chat more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagebythesea
Welcome to our beach, Lizzinpa! And guess what? WE'RE NEIGHBORS!! I live in Downingtown, too, (actually Thorndale), next to the golf course. It's really a small world! We're going to have to get together sometime..
Old 04-09-2004, 09:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Yep, I DO shop at Giant!
Old 04-09-2004, 09:37 PM   #11  

Height: 5' 2"

Welcome to the Beach! I wonder if there's a good beef jerky you can take or make? You could take those Vegetable Quiche cups to Go, I add cauliflower with mine. You can freeze those for later. The Bean cake would be a good treat for later. I love those sirloin burgers from Sam's Club, you could grill those.

Patricia
Old 04-09-2004, 10:44 PM   #12  

Thumbs up Great ideas!

I make the veg quiche cups already, so I will take a few of those. Beef jerky sounds like a good idea. I haven't the foggiest idea how to make it. The bean cake is something I need to look into. Is that the recipe that calls for protein powder, or something like that? where do i get that?

I'm thinking they might have spaghetti on Sat. night. the cubmaster is a friend of mine, and I asked him to let me know what they're having.

thanks for your help, EVERYBODY!!!!

Liz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
Welcome to the Beach! I wonder if there's a good beef jerky you can take or make? You could take those Vegetable Quiche cups to Go, I add cauliflower with mine. You can freeze those for later. The Bean cake would be a good treat for later. I love those sirloin burgers from Sam's Club, you could grill those.

Patricia
Old 04-10-2004, 01:17 PM   #13  

Here's the recipe for the Bean Cake....I had problems adding it in the recipe file.

Bean Cake (the original)

1 15 oz. can black beans (drained & rinsed)
1 cup eggbeaters (or 4 eggs)
1 cup Splenda
3 Tbsp. baking cocoa
1 tsp. baking powder
2Tbsp oil
1 tea Vanilla.

mix all in blender - pour into 8x8 glass pan sprayed with Pam.
Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

Hope this helps!
Patricia
Old 04-10-2004, 01:19 PM   #14  

Good Luck tonight and have fun!

Patricia
Closed Thread