South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 02:00 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Default South Beach and Weight Watchers?

Hello all you beach babes!

A few people have asked me about doing South Beach and WW at the same time but I can't remember who they were ...I have an awful memory

I am doing both and have planned out 2 weeks of Phase 1/ww menus and 2 weeks of Phase 2/ww menus and am currently working on Phase 3.

If anyone wants to get an idea of how to work the two plans together let me know and I will send you the menus as a prototype for making up your own plan that is suitable for your points.

Mauvaisroux
Old 04-07-2004, 02:48 PM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

You're making that up, Mauvais. NO ONE would be crazy enough to try working the two plans at the same time. Except for you, of course.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:09 PM   #3  

Why do both? Just curious?
Old 04-07-2004, 06:14 PM   #4  

Mauvais,

I think that is a fantastic idea. I do believe that when the calories get too high I stall on SB, and on WW I cheat constantly because the carb count can get high (all those low point, high carb snacks).

In fact, when I used to post on the WW boards (I tried it for three months) there were several "combiners" on there. I'll bet it makes the weight loss more consistent.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:00 PM   #5  

Very funny ellis!

I was going to WW for several months and lost some but stalled for a while I decided to try SBD to jump start my weight loss using SBD to do a lower carb version of WW and stay within my daily point range...and it worked!

I am feeling much better since I cut back on carbs and switched to wholewheat products. I honestly don't miss rice or potatoes and the few times I have eaten them as a treat they just didn't taste as good as I remembered them I also no longer have cravings for chips or buttertarts

I am sticking with WW since I need the support of the group and some structure and accountability, also they have great advice, tips etc that comes from the program and the group. I have two friends that are going as well so that is a great support + we keep an eyeball on each other when we go out to eat too ...
Old 04-07-2004, 08:08 PM   #6  

Height: 5'-2"

Huh. Funny how you really chow down when we go out for Dim Sum with Ruth. You seem to thoroughly enjoy those rice bundles, if I recall correctly.
Old 04-08-2004, 01:33 AM   #7  

I have done WW before and lost weight then put it on again. I use WW points to control my portion sizes. Some days I eat lots but feel hungry and tired then I realise I have had hardly any points/calories. Other days it is the other way around. I find that if I consistently have larger portions despite following SB Diet, my weight loss stalls. My problem on WW was that I found it too tempting to use up my points on junk food. I feel that SB Diet is a better long-term healthy eating plan and figure that if I get into the routine of eating healthy it will be easier to keep the weight down. I like the emphasis on protein snacks and lots of vegies and water because I feel more energized through the day. I keep my meals pretty simple so it is easy to follow both plans.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:33 AM   #8  

Ellis...Yeah okay Smartypants!

I'll admit that I love those rice bundles but then I only go to Dim Sum once a year with you and Ruthxxx so they are a rare treat.

Chick on the beach- I agree with you, SBD is better for me. I am eating way more veggies now, have cut way back on sugar and I used to get headaches when I ate too many carbs. Since I have switched to wholewheat and wholegrain products I don't get the headaches that I used to and I actually like the taste of them better.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:01 AM   #9  
Enthusiasm is contagious

It really does work, Ellis. However, you can't have Bridge Mix....which might prove difficult for some!!!! (snicker, snicker)

I've been doing my own version for about 5 weeks..SBD and WW...and have lost 8 pounds. I go in for my weekly meeting and weigh in this morning, so we will see how I did this week. I love SBD, but need the accountability of "the group" at meetings. So a combination of the two is a healthy lifestyle for me.

Many thanks to you Mauvaisroux for sending me your menus. I will be beginning my own version of them next week. They sound terrific!
Have a great OP day....whichever one you might choose!
Deets
PS. I have no idea why, but the smilies are not working for me today!
Is it just me, or do we have a problem?
Old 04-08-2004, 11:03 AM   #10  
Jesus freak

I have been doing both -
I started out in WW and lost weight just because I quit drinking sodas. However, I love sweets and could NEVER keep under my points. I do believe in WW as a healthy way to live the rest of your life. When I started SB I figured I would keep track just to see how it worked out and what I learned is that under SB I was able to keep under my daily point limit for the first time!!

However, I belong to 2 12-step groups and I told my WW leader (good friend) that I would never make the meetings for the rest of my life. That I would join for a while but not forever. And I meant it. This week I quit counting my points (why bother? this is working for me and the not thinking about food all the time is one of the advantages of SB) and as soon as I buy a scale I'm sure I will quit going to WW.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:31 AM   #11  

I am hoping to be a lifetime member by July then I can go to meetings and not have to pay as long as I are maintaining my goal weight. I figure this will keep me from back sliding.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:06 PM   #12  

This sounds good to me. I know portion size makes a difference in my WL so I've been trying to watch this. Mauvaisrous: I sent you a PM for your menu
Old 04-08-2004, 12:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Mauvaisroux - I would greatly appreciate your ww/sb menus. I have been going to ww for quite awhile & had good success at the beginning. Have been yo-yoing for a long time due to lots of social functions, etc with bf. I still believe ww is the way to go but would be very interesting in seeing how it can be combined with sb.

TIA

Last edited by ellis; 04-10-2004 at 08:09 AM. Reason: removal of email address
Old 04-08-2004, 01:48 PM   #14  

I am confused by these posts, since I thought the whole point of SB is to eat plan foods until satisfied and you don't have to worry about counting points/calories and weighing things. To hear that alot of people weightloss stalls on SB is very discouraging. Is this true for alot of people?
Old 04-08-2004, 02:12 PM   #15  

Yes. All weight loss will stall at some point, because when you spend weeks on end restricting yourself it gets old and you have to cheat a little. You can't always see that in the first week when you are gung-ho. If you cheat a little, stall a little, then jump right back on, I think it is all right. You have to give your body a break from constant weight loss or it really stresses you out physically and mentally. I believe this... I think the key is not to never cheat, the key is to get back on plan sooner rather than later. I try to maintain during a stall...or only gain a pound or so. I can manage that if my cheating is a treat here, a treat there. It is the full on, weeks on end pigging out that piles it all back on.
Closed Thread