Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 10:25 AM   #1  
Wheeeeeeeeee!

Red face What do you do for SNACKS?

Aaaaaah!

Okay. Got that out of my system.

I've been hearing for a long time that three sensible meals plus two small snacks is the best way to go. This caught my attention - I'm ALWAYS hungry, and snacks are my friends! But I'm having a miserable time finding adequate snackage. I can't stand yogurt, cottage cheese makes me cringe, granola just doesn't do it for me. Fruit seems to make me MORE hungry, apples in particular.

Any ideas? Anything that I'm overlooking? It's making me crazy! I want snacks!
Old 04-05-2004, 12:00 PM   #2  
Changing the things I can

Cool Snacks.......

Hey, I can so relate.... the fruit probably does make you more hungry cuz it's sugar... Albeit 'good' sugar... Do you like turkey? A good snack item might be a WW tortilla with a serving of turkey. I like it with mustard --- You can eat one of those little wraps for about 100 calories... The protein will keep you fuller longer, too. Also, I used to like to snack on cheerios, I can eat a cup of those and have the hand to mouth thing going for a WHILE! they're carbs and I don't know what kind of 'diet' you're doing, so....
Hope this helps!

Stefanie
Old 04-05-2004, 12:19 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Who says your snacks have to be small? It can be the same size as your other meals as long is it's healthy... This is only my personal opinion tho and I find that since I have been eating a good sandwich or a wrap with veggies on the side, I'm not ravenous at the next meal. I also eat every 3 hours, not more because then I will over eat. I also makes sure all my meals and snacks have a portion of protein and a portion of carbs (ex: 4oz turkey with 1/2 brown rice and veggies)

My 02. cents....
Old 04-05-2004, 01:23 PM   #4  
Wheeeeeeeeee!

Good thoughts guys, thanks! I'm going to try and do the 3hr thing.... I'm up for work at 5 but don't get lunch until noon, which is impossible. I'm thinking if I have my breakfast, follow it with a snack at 9, have my lunch at 12, snack when I get home at 3ish, and dinner with the fam at 6.

I'll have to keep the Cheerios in mind. I think it's the 'hand to mouth' that I need sometimes more than anything. I'm not on any diet per se, yet, just trying to reduce calories. I'm new to this, so I'm taking wee baby steps.

Thanks again! I'll have to hit the grocery store today or tomorrow and browse.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:59 PM   #5  

A sampling of my snacks....

hard boiled egg
my own snack mix (raisins, odds and ends of cereal, pretzels)
small muffin
graham crackers (esp low fat ones with low fat cool whip between and then frozen
bagel (plain)
granola bar
string cheese with a couple crackers
1/2 pb sand
carrots (baby)

I am like you in that I am not really following a specific plan, I am just cutting everything back. This has worked for me so far, I hope this gave you a couple more ideas
Old 04-05-2004, 04:09 PM   #6  

Some of my snacks (I weigh my food, hence some of the scale measurements):

1 of those hard sourdough pretzels w/ a stick of string cheese = 160 calories

1 oz. of peanuts mixed w/ 10 grams of raisins = approx. 200 calories

banana + 1 glass of 1% milk = 200 calories

peanut butter on whole wheat crackers = ???

carrot sticks (or baby carrots) w/ Desert Pepper Black Bean dip (try to find this if you can---it’s awesome, & only 15 calories for 2 tablespoons) w/ some sour cream mixed in = depend on the amounts
Old 04-05-2004, 05:07 PM   #7  
Legend in my own mind

I like to keep pickles around for snacking. I buy the spicy ones with the less salt as possible because Pickles have no cals and no carbs.
I also keep a jar of sauerkraut in the refrigerator and just have a scoop when I need a snack of no cals or carbs. Also, I like to have a drink of low salt V8 juice when ever I get hungry because its thick and it fills me up. don't need much. Also,Shredded wheat and bran bit size cereal no sugar, thou I don't like to eat cereal in a bowl with milk, I will keep a bag of these in my desk and just eat 4 or 5 bite size pieces when I need something.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:43 PM   #8  
Wheeeeeeeeee!

"Pickles have no cals and no carbs."

OMG! You're kidding! They're my FAAAAAvorite! I didn't even think to check the label, it's been a while since I bought any. Oh heck yeah!

Old 04-06-2004, 03:07 PM   #9  

If you are hungry all the time, try adding a little protein to each meal and snack. Protein keeps us feeling full hours longer than carbs. Also, some pickles have sugar so be sure to read the label.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:40 PM   #10  
Legend in my own mind

^ your sure right about that, sweet pickles have sugar.
I get the dill but you do always gotta read the labels.
Old 04-06-2004, 05:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 185/136/125

Height: 5'5"

What sort of pickles are y'all talking about? The pickles I have are about 15 calories each, and mostly carbs.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:47 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Some snacks I have are: string cheese, carrot sticks, green pepper slices, cucumber slices, cup of soup, pillar turkey bites (these are 1 pt each & are like pepperoni sticks), nacho chips with ff sour cream mixed with salsa as the dip, ginger snap cookies, biscotti, ww 2 pt bar.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:18 PM   #13  

I threw together my own recipe for egg rolls (and I use this term loosely) that I can keep in the fridge and heat up whenever I'm really craving something.

I buy the pre-made egg roll wraps
saute some frozen spinach and chopped onion together (no butter, just water)
cut up some tomatoes
mash up some avocado
and add some cooked rice

I don't measure anything - I guess I just try to "fill" the wrap. Then I throw them in the oven for a couple of minutes until the wrapper is cooked and voila! I like them because they taste so healthy and are better for me than cookies or potato chips. I think they're about 150 calories apiece.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:25 PM   #14  
Wheeeeeeeeee!

*taps her fingers together*

Eeeeeeeexcellent.

I did make a trip to Krogers the other day and picked up some options. Got some beef sticks (60cal each, I do two for a morning snack and I'm barely hungry come lunch), tortillas (Krogers brand, 98% fat free, only 50cal each!), and lean turkey. These beef sticks are the faves so far.... WOW do those little things go a long way.

You all are fabulous!
Old 04-07-2004, 01:30 PM   #15  
Legend in my own mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz
What sort of pickles are y'all talking about? The pickles I have are about 15 calories each, and mostly carbs.
the pickles I have are Safeway brand,
they are called Zesty fresh pack kosher zesty dill spears.
they are 0 calories, 0 carbs, 0 fat, and 9% sodium. and lots of pickles are 16% sodium so these are the lowest in sodium I have been able to find.
they are spicy with garlic and red bell peppers, peppercorns and are totally yummy.
but if your pickles have 15 cals and are mostly carbs, you are buying sweet pickles.
Closed Thread