General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2001, 12:23 PM   #1  

Hi everyone! I posted on the Zone #29 thread at the very end, but it wasn't until later that I noticed that someone mentioned that you were starting a new thread, so I reposted my question to this new thread (I'm sorry - I don't mean to clutter a board up, but I wasn't sure if I had to repost my question on a new thread for you to see??).

Anyhow, here was my original post:

Soon-toBe-Newbie Here!

Hi everyone and Happy Mother's Day to all the mommies here.

I have never visited one of the Zone message boards before but you all sound like THE most upbeat, positive group of people I've ever "read" on here!!!

I want to start the Zone plan.....I am getting married next January and am currently 220 pounds. I don't want to be stick-think by then but I would be totally HAPPY around 150-160 pounds - enough to feel COMFORTABLE and at PEACE with my body and self-esteem again. That's all I want. I know a few things about high-glycemic non-no's and have no trouble avoiding those (cakes, candies, corn, etc).

Anyhow, I have a question for you...when I've gone to Borders looking at Dr. Sears' books, I see several of them....."Mastering the Zone"...."Entering the Zone" and maybe even another one that I remember. What is the basic difference bertween them and which do you all recommend first for someone totally new to the Zone way of eating?

Thank you and have a super day!!!!!!!!!

Jennifer
Old 05-13-2001, 06:30 PM   #2  

Hi Jennifer! Jump right in-- thanks for starting the new thread!!

I have "Mastering the Zone", it has been a long time since I read it but it was very helpful!! I also bought the start-up kit at www.zoneperfect.com (I think, Maureen will correct me) and that came with a bunch of informational stuff. But it is expensive and I was successful with my first 20 pounds by just using the Mastering th Zone book and the people on this thread. I also have a book called 40-30-30 fat burning that is less overwhelming and condenses info-- but that is not a Dr. Sears book-- but the same philosophy.

I don't remember how much I weighed when I started here in 1999(?)-- Some of my posts say 225, some say 215 and I think I said 205 once. Before I got serious I flucuated alot between 205 and 225. But I was only briefly at 225-- I spent alot of time at 199-205. I am 160 now and I only have 10 more pounds to go until I stop. I feel like a million bucks and I give alot of credit to the Zone theory!! Within 2 weeks of first starting I couldn't beleive the energy I had. I was very strict and followed the blocks to a T and I am a work out nut! It all can work! It has taken me 3 years but that was by choice as I took breaks here and there--- that is the beauty of the Zone-- it is easy to hop on and off and soon it becomes a life style. I go to Weight Watchers for accountability and for more group support-- but with WW I can intergrate the Zone philosphy and it has been very successful for me. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Exercise is very important-- but if it has been a long time for you you may want to consult your doctor. Even 30 minutes of walking as often as you can in the week makes a difference-- in the beginning the walking (that was all I could (barely) do) saved my sanity and took me out of my darkness. 3 years ago I couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without huffing and puffing (and crying) and now I run 5 mile races-- it is all unbelieveable!

Good Luck- this is a great site-- these women are the best.

I'll post soon--- I am almost on summer break and will be able to check in more often.

Amy
Old 05-14-2001, 12:52 PM   #3  
Call me BuBu

Default Woops, I did the same thing - transferred from #29...

Hey Jennifer, welcome to the gang.

You have plenty of time to drop down into your comfort zone, so you're well on your
way already. "Enter the Zone" is the starter book, which came out quite awhile ago
and has been updated (visit the zone website for updates on increased calorie
intake for women - it's not 9 blocks anymore, it's 11, very important to eat enough!)

Mastering the Zone has recipes in it for those who need more in-depth info on meal
preparation. You'll find that once you get started, it will become intuitive. The main thing is to get an exercise plan in place and to just do it regularly. Whether it's walking, running, biking or going to the gym, you have to incorporate it into your day somehow or you might not attain the goal you've set for yourself.

And drink lots and lots of water

As Jakeswoman sez, it ain't a diet, it's a lifestyle, and it's not something I'm planning on abandoning once I get to my goal. It just feels too good (I'm more alert, have way more energy and motivation) to ever go back to the dozy, starch-filled life I was leading before!

I'll look forward to seeing your progress as you post.

179/165/150
Starting weight/present/goal
Old 05-17-2001, 02:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 168

Hello Zone Gang,

Was out of town on another company trip - Cancun Mexico this time. Was fun but when it is business it just isn't relaxing. Luckily didn't fall into my trap of gaining weight since the food just wasn't that good so wasn't tempted.

Welcome Jennifer. I found the "Mastering the Zone" book to be the most helpful. Dr. Sears first book really gets bogged down in detail. Mastering gives some great recipes and the info is more summarized. Like Jakeswoman, I also got the starter kit. It was okay but I still have the "shakes" in my fridge and the dried salmon dinner in my cupboard! I also like the www.zonehome.com website though I haven't checked it out in a while.
Sabrina: What is the story - are you just looking for a new job or were you "redeployed" from your old one. It is just amazing here in the Bay Area - soooo many layoffs. My sales are so slow - no one is entering into long term contracts. Your days do sound really long. I took night classes before I was married and it was a real drain on time and energy.
Jakeswoman: Wow - you are always so inspirational. Can't believe all the weight your family has lost together.
Mrs. Yogi: Although I tend to be a Miller Light kind of gal (I grew up in Ohio where we drank 3.2 low alcohol beer) so I am used to watered down. I drink the dark amber ales because they are so bitter to me that one glass will last the entire night. Keeps calorie intake down.
Lisa Sue, Maureen, and everyone else: sounds like everyone is doing well. This is a great time to shed some pounds.

Question to everyone: How much sleep do you usually get? Even on the zone I feel "run down" at times and realize the six hours isn't really cutting it. Granted I have been eating more carbs lately so maybe that is affecting me yet just wondered how many hours of sleep people usually get because we all seem so super busy i.e. kids, jobs, classes etc. Read an article that said msot people are truly sleep deprived etc.

Good Luck to everyone. Hopefully I can get my bucket moving and away from the computer to start working out again!

Take care
Ann W
Old 05-17-2001, 12:06 PM   #5  
Call me BuBu

Default Zzzzzzz

Hey Anne, I'm switching to red wine for the rest of the hockey season

My favourite amount of sleep is 8 hours (9 hours is really great, but rare...), but I haven't been getting that much the last couple of days. My workouts have been pretty late, and I can never settle down until about 11:30 after one of those.

I didn't have much to eat last night after the gym (I ate a small meal before and a zone snack before bed) and had to get up at 3:00 am to have a slice of rye bread and some peanut butter. That was a first. No more skimping on meals… Are you having your bedtime snacks? I also started taking calcium/magnesium before bedtime. That and the *exercise* makes me sleep really well.

Early to bed for me tonight (no gym today).
Old 05-22-2001, 11:46 AM   #6  

Hi everyone. Sorry I've been AWOL for a while but I am getting back into the swing of things.
Jennifer, welcome. Everyone here has given you good advice. Mastering the Zone is the best "how to" book for the zone. He not only explains the plan but it also includes about 150 recipes. There is no reason why you wouldn't reach your goal before your wedding. AMy mentioned the quick start kit which is a nice way to start, too. It does cost $100 but if you are serious it is worth it. When my dr first told me about the diet and the kit, I thought "oh no, more money to through away on a diet". But I decided I had nothing to lose but the weight and the money and gave it a try. It does work.
I've not been following the plan as well as I should and am up more than a few pounds from my lowest. My new dr did a blood profile on me and my cholesterol was up to 227 up 30 points from 2 years ago. She wants me to come in for a prescription for medication but I have decided to get back into the zone and see how much I can lose before my next regular appointment in August and ask for another blood test. I don't want to be on any more medication that absolutely necessay. She's a nice young woman but seems to be too quick to prescribe.
We are going to Ohio for the weekend and hope to meet up with our son on Memorial Day. He's back working at Cedar Point and is very happy to be back.
Ann, will you be making your anual treck back there this year?
Amy, I'm glad to see you are still doing so well. How are your mom and sister doing?
I'm with Mrs. Yogi on the sleep question, I need a good 7-9 hours or I don't do well all day. Sometimes I get up with 5-6 hours sleep but after 3-4 hours I am ready for a nap which isn't always possible.
Take y'all.
Maureen
Old 05-22-2001, 01:12 PM   #7  

HI Zone Gang,

Rather slow at work today or I am just not motivated to work! This darn economy really affects my job so I am trying to enjoy these slow times yet feel "guilty" that I am not doing more.

Working at home today so during a break I tried on some outfits in my closet. Most still fit but would look much nicer if I got back down to the 150 range - very tight through the thighs and waist.

Maureen: Lucky you - another trip to Ohio. We will be heading back in August since we are having a big bash for my mother's 80th birthday. She knows we are having a get together but doesn't know that just about everyone she knows will be there! Of course we will visit Cedar Point and ride our favorite roller coasters - we will look for your red haired son again!

My problem with getting to bed stems from the computer. We are planning a cruise this summer and it is so much fun to get on different cruise web-sites and do research. Then to unwind I play freecell on-line - often well past midnight. My goal is to try to get 8 hours a night and see if it makes a difference. As I mentioned before, I read an article about sleep deprivation and boy did it really hit home.

Hope everyone else is doing well. Bubu: is hockey season over yet?? It seems to go on as long as NBA basketball playoffs.

Take care everyone and happy zoning!
Ann
Old 05-22-2001, 04:03 PM   #8  
Call me BuBu

Default Hockey

Hey Ann

Good going on the clothing front there. Nice to have a waistline again, ain't it? Don't worry about the hip/thigh thing, they just seem bigger cos everything else is shrinking ha ha.

I'm wearing a pair of trousers today that I could not do up a mere 6 months ago. They now have a new zipper and are loose enough around the waist that I can actually tuck in a shirt (unheard of!). They are nice Jones of New York (my favourite designer), lined in black satin, no-fly front and charcoal plaid summerweight wool. Mmmm. so nice to have them back! I'm still keeping the fat pants though. You never know...

Hockey down to the final finals. Which means battle to the death soon. New rule - no hockey before walkies. Waddya think?

Have a great week.

179/166/150
Old 05-24-2001, 01:04 PM   #9  

Ann, Adrian is back on Raptor so hopefully, you'll catch up with him. He'll also fill in on another ride from time to time but Raptor is his full time gig. How exciting to planning a cruise. We've never been but are planning one next year when we celebrate our 25th anniversary.
Babu, how nice you are fitting into "old" clothes. It's like getting a new wardrobe without the expense.
Have you girls tried the new Zoneperfect bars? The have chocolate mint and lemon and are wonderfu!
Hubby and I went to Toronto yesterday to see Mama Mia and it was terrific. I'm listening to the cd now. If any of you ever have the chance to see it do so. You will have a good time and hear great music.
Have a great holiday weekend.
maureen
Old 05-24-2001, 05:21 PM   #10  

Hello everyone!!

AHHH a cruise Ann-- how wonderful, I've never been but my parents cruise alot and they never have a complaint, they just love it.

Well I (thought) hit the 150's and I celebrated by coloring my hair red-- something I always wanted to do. I was blond before so it is quite shocking to most people. I am having ALOT of fun with it! My 4 year old says it is "groovy" and my 8 year old likes it and is getting a kick telling her friends at school that her mom colored her hair red. My husband surprised me with "Wow-- I really like it"-- he is having fun with it to! I didn't think about it I just walked in and said I want a change-- and we looked through the hair swatches and I picked red--- I felt a little empowered.

Anyway-- you may have noticed that I said (thought)-- well my doctors scale said 157 and the gym scale said the same and I have been running (alot!) and feeling slim-- even wearing a dress I couldn't get past my belly two weeks ago and now it is loose on me. So I counted my chickens before they hatched. I got to WW and now everyone has to weigh in with shoes-- no more socked feet. Board of Health said all people have to have shoes on. And I had these cloggy things on and I actually showed a 1.75 gain-- I was not in the 150's and they would not deduct any weight for the shoes. But I know I am there. My mom and I went to the club after WW-- she weighed herself on that scale and sure enough she weighed less--- she weighed less at the docotors too. The shoes did me in as I always weighed with my socked feet only. That's okay-- I can cope-- funny how much of a head game this all is! I still deserve my red hair-- I WILL BE IN THE 150's NEXT WEEK!

Maureen-- I got the coupon in the mail for the new zone bars-- the lemon ones interest me the most. I'll have to try them out.

Got to run-- everyone keep it up!!

Amy aka Jakeswoman
Old 05-24-2001, 05:38 PM   #11  
Call me BuBu

Default Well Done!

Hey Amy, way to *go*. Buy a pair of terrycloth slippers from K-mart for the next weigh in, or better yet, just throw the darn scales out the window. You're there already, why sweat the 1.75? It's all in how you feel, and I would say you are definitely in the Zone.

What is it with boys and red hair? Some things I will never understand he he.

I'm growing out some red from 2.5 years ago. Decided to go au naturel and let my gray hairs fly in the wind. I'm almost 50 and got tired of keeping it up, but I know how great it felt the first time I died mine jet black and had a k.d. lang cut back in the 80s. ( Love those "oh wow"s!)

If I did bright red now people would ask how come it doesn't match my eyebrows
Old 06-01-2001, 08:55 AM   #12  
Check out my homepage=>

Default Hey There! I have some questions, if you can help!

Any Zoners still around? I've been following the Body For Life fitness program for several months and am doing well with that part of it, but the nutritional element has been a real struggle for me. This body fat simply doesn't want to come off! I only have a few actual pounds to lose, but they are doggone stubborn!

I've tried SugarBusters but found it very confusing because it seemed to lack enough structure for me. Since March I've been on Weight Watchers (on my own, no meetings) and have finally seen the beginnings of change, but I know that's strictly because of calorie restriction. I need more help with TYPES of foods, with the structural guidelines that WW has provided me.

I guess I'm not creative enough in my thinking or something, but the structured eating programs seem to be easier for me to follow.

I've done a LOT of reading over the last several months, and strongly believe in adequate protein and low-glycemic carb eating. Zone eating fits this and is remarkably similar to the eating recommendations in Body for Life, but much more detailed. I read "Entering the Zone" and liked his concepts very much, but the book was WAY too confusing!

I didn't mean to blather so much, sorry! My questions are - what's the best way for me to get the structure and simple detail I need to follow the Zone guidelines? What materials have you found to be the most helpful? What thing(s) do you wish you'd known ahead of time?

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-01-2001, 10:34 AM   #13  
Stressed but Sane

Hello, ladies---I hope there's room for another I've been lurking, and Liz's post prompted me to come out of the woodwork. I've been on WW for over a year, with poor results---A lot of the experts have grown critical of WW over the past few years, because it has de-emphasized proper nutrition for the sake of simplicity. Points are emphasized and (in my experience) it is the rare leader who is really familiar with WW's "eating by the numbers" recommendations. (I was lucky to find one online, early on, so that I paid attention to distributing points from the beginning.) This year's Winning Points has addressed this a bit more comprehensively than the 123 Success program----The Right Mix booklet describes, pretty well, how to distribute points across the food groups.

All that said, I was meticulously following the higher-protein recommendations and getting nowhere. About 3 weeks ago, I started incorporating Zone techniques with WW, and have had MUCH more success. I don't agree with some of the science behind Barry Sears' recommendations, but do believe that it makes great sense to create balance for every meal and snack. And it's working, which WW alone was not.

Before I started the combo Zone-WW thing, I was already being very careful with my carb choices. I was eating the same number of calories that I am now. My calories were distributed across the food groups in almost the same way (though some days leaned a little higher carb). The main difference is that I am balancing each meal and snack, rather than aiming for overall balance over the course of a day's time. I've also added a bit of fat back in. I thought it would drive me insane to try to figure out the correlation between points and Zone blocks, but the two programs are VERY compatible.

In terms of what you need to get going, Liz, visit www.zoneperfect.com. There's a ton of information there. I have the original Zone book, but it is bogged down with dubious scientific explanations that make the whole thing seem MUCH more difficult that it really is. Mastering the Zone is more manageable. I felt pretty strongly about hanging on to the most basic tenets of WW (and every other health-promoting agency's recommendations): at least 5 fruits/veggies a day (I've always leaned more heavily toward veggies), regular exercise, and plenty of water. I've taken away the wiggle room I used to have for junkier choices (WW leaves a LOT of room for that, even if you make sure that you're meeting all of your nutritional needs), and it has made a TREMENDOUS difference in how I feel. And the scale is actually moving (in the right direction ) I do not feel as though I've given anything up----I still have treats, but as with WW, I plan for them.

I have several journals...one for the WW higher protein recommendations, one for each of the other two WW plans (higher carb and balanced), and one that combines WW's higher protein plan with the Zone. It has room for recording what I eat, then two columns: one in which I check off boxes for the Zone blocks, and another where I check off the WW recommendations (fruits/veggies, higher protein choices, milk, waters, exercise, etc.) You are welcome to any/all of them (email me at [email protected], and I'll send 'em to you)---though I have to say that now that I've gotten the hang of what I'm doing, I don't journal at all---I know what each of my meals/snacks consist of, nutritionally, and don't feel the need to write it down.

Okay, so much for easing into the thread...nothing like leaping out of lurkdom and moving directly into novel-writing I hope no one minds!
Old 06-01-2001, 03:01 PM   #14  
Check out my homepage=>

Betsy, you are truly awesome! Thanks for the sheets - they're very helpful! I'm a big believer in using "tools!"

I picked up "A Week in the Zone" - of all the ones I looked at, it seemed to be the most useful. "Mastering" looked like it was mostly recipes. I can hardly wait to get started!

I'm working on a shopping list right now!

I'd like to keep this thread going, 'cause I need the support!
Old 06-03-2001, 02:16 AM   #15  

Hi Zoners,

Welcome to the thread MsLiz and Betsy. Wow Betsy, you seem to have the zone under control! I am similar to MsLiz and don't have that much weight to lose - I have gained 20 plus pounds since I turned 40 a few years ago. But are those pounds ever stubborn. Lost 12 pounds a few years ago but they have slowly krept back on.

I don't know too much about weight watchers however Jakeswoman has had some real success by combining both.
Congrats jakeswoman on your 150's!

Keep posting you two because I need some extra motivation. Am starting to grow out of my current size and will not allow myself any new clothes until my regular size fits again

Good luck!
Ann
Closed Thread