Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-01-2004, 11:37 PM   #1  

Default Yet another exercise question

Hi, everyone
I hope ya'll are great.
I have a question. I go to the gym 6 days a week. My favorite cardio is the elliptical and treadmill.
One day I'll read that 30 minutes a day is fine and next I read I need 45 minutes. Its always changing. And I hear some people say they do an hour. Anyway from the ones who have actually lived it and don't work in a lab, whats your opinion on how much cardio is enough? 45 minutes seems to drain me, but 30 minutes seems to be ok. And I know I should do what feels comfortable, but still..... Like I said I go 6 days a week and I weight train 3 or 4 days a week. i've only been at this about a month. I feel better but haven't lost any yet. I eat about 1700 calories a day so I don't think food is my problem. I thought it would get easier to go longer, but it hasn't.
Thanks
ebeth2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 12:22 AM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

??????

OMG do I ever know where you're coming from. There are so many articles - 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 40 minutes, an hour???

I personally feel that doing high intensity intervals is the best...but I like to MIX IT UP. Right now, I'm doing 3-4 cardio sessions a week along with a four day weight training split. 3 of those sessions are 25-30 minutes long - 3-5 minute warm up, intervals for around 20 minutes (or more if I can stand it!) - two minute 'jog' followed by a 1 minute all-out 'run' (generally on the elliptical which is my favorite machine) for 6 or 7 intervals, followed by a cooldown of about 5 minutes or so.

On Thursdays I don't lift at all - I do a 40-45 minute session which essentially is half moderate cardio, half intervals - 5 min warmup, 5 min moderate, 8 or more intervals, and then a 10 minute gradual cooldown.

And on Sundays, I do some moderate cardio - on nice days, that generally means going hillwalking with my sister.

As far as calories - I'm a HUGE believer in zig-zagging the calories - keeping your body guessing. If you eat the same amount every day, then your body becomes very resourceful at retaining its reserves at that amount of calories. Some days you might want to have a 1700 calorie day, other days drop it down to 1500 or so. Bodybuilder Tom Venuto is a HUGE believer in zig-zagging calories - check out the "Articles worth Reading" sticky in the Ladies who Lift forum for some really good articles and links on the topics of fat loss.

Of course, one thing to keep in mind is that we're ALL DIFFERENT. Unfortunately there IS no one way that works for EVERYONE - as we're all at different fitness and skill levels, and even individually as our fitness level improves, we need to tweak and try harder to get results. You've only been at this a month - have PATIENCE and be PERSISTENT in working towards your goals and you can't miss!
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 08:40 AM   #3  

Default Thanks

Thanks for the input. I saw you post on the secret of you success and I read you homepage. WTG, I'll take advice from you any day.
Like you, I like the interval training. I was doing intervals with the weight training but its like an obsession with me, if I get on a treadmill,etc, I CANNOT do just 10 minutes. It seems to mess with my concentration.
I like the Body for Life principle where u start out at a level equivalent to carrying a bag of groceries up stairs for 2 min and the gradually increase the level minute by minute for about 6 min and then drop it back down and do it all over again. Although I think I need more than 20min 3x week. And a couple of times a week I walk/run on the readmill. I'm trying to increase the amount of time I can run. I love running but if I do it too much I get horrible shinsplints. So I'm also doing runners exercises to strengthen my calves.
I think for now, I'll just give it all I've got for 30min.
ebeth2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 06:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 175 / 140 / 125

Height: 5'2"

Hi LAdies, It sounds as if you're both doing awesome! I think all the advice Mrs. Jim has given you is terrific ( success speaks for itself.) WHat has helped me shake things up recently is doing 2 quick miles a day (both starting and ending w/a cool down) one in the am and the other in the pm. My question for you two runners is, what's a good time to do a mile in? I've always just walked at around 4 mph (15 min. mile) since I've been picking up the pace my fastest has been an 11 min 37 sec mile. Is this anywhere on track?

Thanks for your input.

Kristi
lovnmom is offline   Reply With Quote