Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-25-2004, 08:37 PM   #1  

Arrow Winsor Pilates

I just ordered the dvds a week ago and am awaiting shipment.. I was just wondering if anyone has used them and if so, what they thought of them?? Thanks!
gillian14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 12:19 AM   #2  

I have the videos and I love them! They're a great workout and I really feel good after doing them. Its a lot tougher than I thought it would be, which is nice if you're really looking for a challenge.
emilyatau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:12 AM   #3  

Gillian14, I hate to post this since you already bought the DVDs, but since you asked. . .

If you're referring to the DVD set that has the basic Pilates workout & the advanced one, I didn't like it at all. I did them 3 to 4 times per week for 3 weeks, and I didn't feel or see ANY differences in strength, weight loss, or flexibility. That being said, I do think that, for me, Pilates might be one of those things that I actually need an instructor or trainer for. Perhaps I wasn't doing the moves correctly (although I thought I was) and that may be why I wasn't getting any results; if this was the case, however, I'm still not crazy about it because I don't want to have to concentrate THAT hard on my form to get it right. To me, Winsor Pilates just seemed like a combination of those old isometric exercises with some basic stretching thrown in.

I ended up returning them to Target where I bought them (luckily they have a 90-day return policy & will only charge a small repackaging fee - less than $2- for returned DVDs).

Despite all of this, there are many people who love them & have gotten a lot out of them. Maybe you will fall into this group. Good luck!
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:55 PM   #4  

I use the Winsor Ab Pilates and the new 50 minute advanced Maximum Burn I think it is. I like them a lot. They are a real change from the ab work I'm used to doing and I like the slow, controlled, and lengthened feeling I get from them. I wouldn't replace my other *crunch based* ab work but pilates is nice for a change.
geoducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 11:58 AM   #5  

Yeah, vmelo makes a great point - I should probably clarify that I don't JUST do Winsor Pilates. I also run and do strength training with weights. I think they're great b/c they tone and stretch at the same time and I do feel like I'm getting "long lean muscles", but I wouldn't let them be my only exercise. They're also very energizing b/c of the yoga-like breathing, which is nice in the morning. My rule of thumb for exercise is to not rely on any ONE system entirely.
emilyatau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 02:20 AM   #6  

I ordered them from television and returned them about 5 days later. I found the workout to be less than motivating and it was too slow paced for me. I do however love any and all Richard Simmons videos and I have had really good results.
yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2004, 09:57 AM   #7  
Mouth of the South

I agree with Emily. You can't rely on Pilates alone. I think it is an excellent program, but I wish it was advertised more honestly! I really think the infomercial was deceptive in it's claim that you can lose weight with Pilates alone. That win in 10 meal plan is so disgusting! Who the heck wants to eat oatmeal and cottage cheese for breakfast?! Mari Winsor and her staff look great, but I doubt that Pilates is their only exercise!

I do love the way it makes me feel longer, and I can really feel it in my abs which is where I need it most.
Catgirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 01:37 PM   #8  

Hi! I'm new to 3FC and I saw this thread for Pilates.

I've heard a few people who had not-so-good things to say about Winsor Pilates.

I've used "The Method" brand Pilates. They also have other types of exercises, but I really like their Target Specifics Pilates. It's four 15-minutes intervals. They also use weights in it and put some yoga into it at the end.

I also jog on the treadmill and do weights, but the Method Pilates-Target SPecifics has done wonders for my horrible lower back problem and really improved my posture.

The instructor in it (Jennifer Kries) has another Method Pilates tape out that I don't enjoy as much. I think it's a little advanced, or at least intermediate. But, the funny thing is, I could just watch that tape. She used to be a professional ballet dancer and she's so graceful and makes everything look so easy. So that tape I lent to a friend. Watching someone do Pilates isn't going to help me any!

But I definetly recommend the Method Target Specifics. I think they just threw the word "Pilates" on the cover b/c that's the hot new workout. But it's also got weights, yoga and some standing ballet strengthening moves.
hereshoping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 08:28 PM   #9  

I LOVE Winsor Pilates. In order to get a proper workout, you really need to use your muscles in the way that the insturctor describes. I suggest doing the instructional tape until you learn how to use your core muscles, then move on to the 20 minute tape.

I have just started the sculpting tapes and I LOVE THEM. They make me sweat and I feel the burn. I actually wore out my old tapes and have the DVDs now.

I like to add that pilates for me has been a godsend in toning muscles that I had been ignoring. Building muscle is paramount to losing weight healthfully. It all depends on what your goals are.

Good luck, and remember that everyone is different. 5 days is not enough to know if something is working. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Kitty

Last edited by kittykitkat1971; 04-04-2004 at 08:30 PM. Reason: had to add this
kittykitkat1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:20 PM   #10  

I just got the dvds today.. and i enjoyed doing them, i did the 20 minute workout but theres also a 40 min workout thats a bit harder and one that uses a resistance band thats supposed to be more challenging as well, which i am looking forward to trying hehe. yeah i found the infomercials to be quite misleading towards weight loss as it says in the package i received, walking 3-5 miles daily COMBINED with pilates will make you lose weight(which they conveniently leave out in the informercial). Thats fine for me because I dont have a whole lot to lose, probably 10-15 pounds, and i plan on running as well as the pilates, but its still angering that they're misleading you.
thanks for all your comments!
gillian14 is offline   Reply With Quote