South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 07:35 AM   #1  
Buggin' with Pugs

Lightbulb Breakthroughs on Dieting..No, LIVING!

OK I am going to make this simple and just paste my journal entry from today here. But today I guess I had a type of 'breakthrough' and I thought we could make a 'breakthrough' thread. Share steps and ideas to help each other through this path in life. This can be a confessional, just as much as a means to change these patterns of thinking. Our own little Mental Cell Block.

Well yesterday was one of those days that I threw diet to the wind. After 2 weeks of Phase 1 on SBD, I 'treated' myself...and DID I.

OK I am feeling guilty, BUT I know I can go back on the diet with renewed vigor. I have been eating right, water, etc and I just said...OK Babe lets do this evil thing and get it over with. I ate a large salad with tuna....not bad!!!!...ok I followed that with one slice of cheese pizza....weeeelllll, not AWFUL.......but THEN I ate 3 garlic bread knots....*gasp*.......and THEN I ate 4 Fig newtons. Not all at the same time mind you, but over a span of 4-5 hours.

Where were the healthy skim cheese sticks? **** if I know. The funny thing was, after I ate the pizza and bread, I felt heavy. I cannot think how I used to be able to eat a half a pizza with no problem! I also had heartburn....So what does all this mean to me....well...welcome to my mind

((((((( dream fade to Wonderland..well a little more twisted than that, but..just follow me, you won't be harmed...just don't touch the midget)))))))

Ah, here we are in my Mind. To me I concluded several things from my 'binge'.

1. If you have a craving, consider the consequences.
I am not referring to just blowing a diet and getting the feelings of failure......but what this craving can mean to your new way of eating. I found the Pizza very salty. The Newtons too sweet. After eating fresh veggies and healthy foods, my palate had a hard time with the 'bad' foods. So now I have an option......

2. Do I continue eating these bad things?
Since I seemed to REALLY eat them more out of PAST desires of enjoying them and the HABIT of eating them, do I make the effort to change that habit? I am opting for Yes. This is a PAST eating pattern. One that not only made me overweight, but unhealthy and unhappy. I have learned to enjoy the organic flavors of veggies, eliminate the NEED for breads and pastas. (My WANTS are still the patterns of old HABITS) And learned that enjoying foods that are not processed, coated with oil and fried makes me feel much better overall. Now the next step....

3. Breaking old habits. Compromise. It is my weakness when it comes to food. See I will compromise to MYSELF when it comes to dieting (which I will no longer call dieting, but Living) I say to myself, 'I will eat this donut , instead of the ice cream, and later I will eat a salad with no dressing'. See the coersion? I am bribing myself!!! I have kept MYSELF captive all this time. Well Warden I am taking your keys, B**CH!! I will learn how to unlock each door to freedom until I reach the 'outside'.

((((time warping you back to your own world)))))

Thank you for visiting. Please come again
Old 03-27-2004, 07:53 AM   #2  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good post! (Sometimes I think your mind is a Fellini film! )
Old 03-27-2004, 08:31 AM   #3  
Buggin' with Pugs

I will take that as a Compliment Ruth!!! hahahaha.
Old 03-27-2004, 12:07 PM   #4  
Professional dieter

S/C/G: 250/232/130

Height: 5'3"

You are funny Rubensmuse! Funny and very, very right.

I too have tried to learn to enjoy healthy foods again.

My breakthrough is that sure I may enjoy ice cream, and cake, and cookies, and processed foods, but more than that I love being able to go out and play with my dog without becoming breathless in under 2 minutes. I will love it when my friend asks me to go hiking this summer and I won't have to say "no thanks" because I know I won't last half a mile. I will love it when I have a child and will have the energy to play with it, and I love knowing that I am increasing my chances for a longer, healthier life with the people I love.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:53 PM   #5  

Well for heaven's sake, Rubensmuse! I was going to post about a breakthrough I had this morning, and here you've gone and started a thread.

Mine was pretty simple, and it took me a while to realize what I was doing. My grandson got into my lap. And he fit!!! And no one noticed but me. And I liked it that way. Just another little thing to reinforce the idea that all this is a very good way to live. Jo
Old 03-27-2004, 07:14 PM   #6  
Buggin' with Pugs

I know the feeling Penny....My best friend and her 4 yr old daughter came to visit today and she jumped into my arms and said, "Aunt Ta-Ta you are getting smaller, my arms can fit now." and that was nice to hear. But she wanted to make cupcakes, so maybe by tomorrow mornign they won't fit anymore

It indeed is LIVING.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:28 PM   #7  

You guys are great. I totally agree. I realized today that I haven't been sad for two weeks. My depression is lifting with a healthy diet. There are so many tangible, wonderful, glorious things that happen to us with this way of eating. The scale is really just a side benefit, isn't it?
Old 03-28-2004, 08:40 PM   #8  
I vant to draw your blood

Interesting thread. I suppose I had a little as we call it in the writing world "Aha" moment.

First, I've found that I can walk much faster than I could 2 months ago.

Second, I fit into pants that I couldn't wear this past fall.

Third, today, sitting in a movie theater, I looked down and noticed that my tummy doesn't sit in my lap like a fat puppy.

So, AHA, this must be working! And it doesn't really hurt, either.

Mamacita
Old 03-29-2004, 03:11 PM   #9  
Buggin' with Pugs

I have also noticed something very different about this diet. In many ways you do not feel like you are dieting. Perhaps monitoring what goes in, but not dieting. I also like that I have lost that little fat roll above my bra strap...you know the one under the arm pits. I like the way I feel on this am mean to keep it up. Like you said Moon, let the weight loss be the side effect!
Closed Thread