Old 03-21-2004, 03:02 PM   #1  

Red face Steel Magnolias -- #11

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
It's a chilly 34 degrees as I type but the sun is shining brightly and there isn't a cloud in sight. We went to church and DH's group stayed to sing for the second service so I came home and read the paper. I have the last load of laundry going and hope to finish the ironing as well.

Maggie -- Last September it was in the high 80s the first couple of weeks. We started school the middle of August when it was still 90+ degrees outside. So many districts complained that we are starting a week later (still in August however) with built in early dismissal days for the heat. I didn't wear a coat to church this morning . . . why does 28 degrees in the spring seem so much warmer than the same temperature in the fall? I was fine just going from the car into church but it definitely wasn't stand around outside type weather!

"Gma" -- My granddaughter's "other grandmother" lives in the same city as she does and sees her less often than we do living 70 miles away! She is always buying stuff and half of the clothes are out of season so Madaline will never fit into them the next time. She has so many toys that basically do the same thing that she doesn't know what to go after. I'm the one on the floor playing with the kids! I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go around.

Well, I need to keep moving. Has anyone heard from Gloria lately? She's been MIA too long! Have a nice "rest of the day!"

Jean -- in Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 05:04 PM   #2  
Web Nana

Red face

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Surprise! I am still alive and kicking...but just haven't had much to say as we have been doing a bit of baby sitting and then staying in and keeping warm.

Acutally baby sat this AM for Kerri,10 and Sean, 12. Took them to church and then McD's for lunch. I had a 'Grilled Ceasar Salad' which I thought wasn't as bad as I could have done.

Right now DH is out front with the carpenter to look as a hole in the wood by the gutter...we have a squirrel condo in the making. Put a Have-a-heart trap in the attic a week ago but did not catch anything. I think the squirrel hasn't got into the attic, yet!!!!! This afternoon DH saw the squirrel heading towards the hole with a mouth full of grass and saw a baby peeking out. He threw a rock and the baby popped in again. Called the carpenter and they have been emptying the hole of an enormous (sp?) amount of debrie. They are then going to block up the hole. I hope that will be the end of our visitors.

This winter the flag pole in the front yard was blown down and DH has been trying all sorts of way to set it up again but no luck. It is bolted into a large boulder in the front lawn and the bolt holes have been enlarged over time so need to find another solution.

When we saw Kerri and Sean today, Kerri showed me a composition she wrote for school...The Perfect Person. She named me! She told about how much fun she has here and how we play on the computer and how much she likes to cook with me. I was absolutely overwhelmed. She is in the fourth grade and will be attending "Milton Academy" for a month of Saturday advanced school with such topics as "Blood and Guts", Ocean Commotion, and an Acting course. Milton Academy is a junior college in a nearby town. I never heard of anything like this before but she is sure excited. Sean will be going with in entire 6th grade to a Monday thru Friday "camp" in N.H. next week. They will be in heated cabins but need sleeping bags and all sorts of warm clothing. It is a nature time adventure they will be on. My school days were very boring compared to theirs.

MAGGIE Your weather sounds just wonderful. I envy you your warmth. We have been very cold and had snow last week. Hope to warm up some this week.

Faye I'm sure you will have a wonderful time in Vegas at your son's wedding. Don't worry about the plane as I am sure you will have no problem. Enjoy!!

JEAN Ah, the day the grandkids discover candy!! M&M's are a perfect begining as they can be rationed and they are small and not meltable.

OH, OH, I hear they are putting the ladder away so I guess I had better start getting supper ready.

Gloria in MA....I'll try not to be an absentee Magnolia again.
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 06:06 PM   #3  

Hi Gloria! It's so good to see your post . . . I have missed you! I hope the baby squirrel is on the outside with his mother. I know they can be a nuisance but they are fun to watch. We have a feeder that is a gallon pickle jar in a wooden framework with holes on the side so he has to climb clear in the jar to get his goodies. The bluejays love his food but they won't go in the jar. It sounds like you have been a busy grandma! I love the baby stages but also look forward to being able to do more things together as they get older. We will hold you to not being MIA again!

Jean -- from Iowa where it still feels like winter today!
Old 03-22-2004, 10:07 AM   #4  

Gloria: How great to hear from you again! Sounds like you and grandones are having an excellent time. I sure do have fun with Thomas. We have a squirrel who has worked our gutter mesh off and made himself a nest in the gutter! SIGH! It is right outside our bedroom so creepy to wake in the night and hear scratching and such. The cat just sits on the cedar chest and stares at the ceiling!

Jean: Do you get Good Friday off? Jack gets Good Friday and Monday April 5th as that is the day MLK was assassinated here. It is part of the union contract. In this case, it is great as that means Jack only has to take 4.5 vacation days and gets 10.5 days of vacation!

Boy did we have a BAD experience with Applebees last night. Don't know why we go there as we have trouble at every one we have tried here and we have tried 6 in the area, but we tried another one last night. Sat for 10 minutes with no drinks or anything, then someone asked if we had been waited on and we kind of growled no. He went back and told the dope who was supposed to have our table, 5 minutes passed and she still didn't come to the table so he got us drinks and Jack demanded to see the manager because he told the kid, she is NOT waiting on us. We saw him walk up to the manager and tell him and after another 5 minutes of no waitress and no manager we had had it and got up to leave. Jack walked over to the manager and told him off and said we wouldn't be back and the guy didn't even care, apologize or anything. I suggested coming back here to Bob Evans, but Jack wanted Applebees so we came to the one by our house. BAD DECISION! We sat there too, but were a little more patient because they were really busy. They had unbussed tables, food on the floor etc all over the place, which should have been a big whistle to "RUN DON'T WALK OUT OF THE RESTAURANT" but we stayed. She took our order (in her head nothing written down, which always makes me nervous), went around the corner and waited on another table, doing the same thing, taking the full order, food and all in her head. I was sure we were going to have a mess and Jack was going to pop his cork! When the food came, Jack had ordered shrimp and steak and they brought out popcorn shrimp. He asked to see a menu and said look, this is full sized shrimp. She said she thought they had run out, but she would go check. Well, he was fuming of course. I saw her talk to one of two managers on site and came back that they were out. He demanded to see a manager and basically told him off too and said we don't want the food. He said, "You don't substitute without giving the patron a chance to refuse." The manager took away the food (so now it is 8 pm and we have had no dinner) and I stopped the waitress and told her I wanted the check for the appetizer and drinks only as the manager had taken back our food. She was miffed but said ok and 10 minutes later here she comes with the bill. We had enough cash so I told Jack to pay by cash so we could get out of there. SHE HAD THE GALL TO STAND AT THE TABLE WITH HER HAND ON HER HIP WAITING FOR HER MONEY! Made Jack so mad, he plunked down a 10 and a 1 for a $10.35 bill and she grabbed it off the table and huffed off. So did we, came home and never did eat anything! I got online and found their website and took them to task online, so we will see if anything comes of it. If so, maybe we will get gift certificates and can use them in Vegas and see if it is any better there!

Well, need to go fold and put away my load of clothes.

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 06:49 PM   #5  
Thin Within

Talking Monday it is!

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Another lovely day ~ it is 79 as I type at 3:45 p.m. Another "top down" day since it isn't too hot to bake our brains. We took a nice drive where most of the red buds are blooming. Spectacular to see all those trees with lavendar flowers on them. First time I ever saw them and found out their name I laughed because of the color flowr. But the buds are red before they open. We have one in the front yard that is just starting to bud out now. Our little peach tree that we planted last year had such huge blossoms on it ~ sure hope it produces peaches this year. Red Baron is it's name.

Welcome back GLORIA nice to see that you are well and happy. JEAN if it is that hot in September around there then I may forget taking a jacket! They just finished building a new Applebees in Merced FAYE and we have not yet been in it. In fact I don't recall ever having eaten at one of their restaurants. Maybe I won't now. What a horrid experience you had and they should send you gift certificates. I'll stick to Sizzler when we go to town.

Have a wonderful Monday flowers.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 10:01 PM   #6  

Good Evening, Flowers!
It's been a typical Monday after a three day weekend. Students act like they've never heard of fractions and we've been working on them for a month! A girl hauled off and hit a boy in the mouth, he (his mother) files assault charges, and the fun goes on. We are sure he did something to provoke it but no one saw it nor can we prove it.

"Gma" -- My big complaint about Applebee's is that it is always busy and we have to wait no matter what time of day we go there. We've always had good service, however, and the food is always good. It'll be interesting to see if you hear back from them. I have the whole week before Easter off for "spring break." I am looking forward to it!

Maggie -- You'd better bring a jacket as you never know what the weather is going to be like around here. We have plants coming up in the courtyard at school. I hope the weather stays warm enough for them.

I am going to head off to bed early tonight. Hope you all have a terrific Tuesday!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 03-22-2004 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:16 PM   #7  
Thin Within

Talking

JEAN I always take a jacket or wrap when ever we travel ~ just in case. Even if it is supposed to be nice weather when we are away from home it is best to have it in plastic wrapped in the trunk.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:32 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

I got a ton of typing done now my main squeeze is down at the copy shop so I grabbed a moment to post. And here I am! Not much happening in my neck of the woods except beautiful weather which is a happening! It is supposed to start a cooling trend now so the warmer days are on hold for a few days at least.

Hope everyone is having a nice OP day and have a cherry smile on your faces.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:50 PM   #9  

Good evening group!

Maggie: My "squeeze" is deep in thought in a game of Risk. The man is obsessed with that game. For me it is a ! He plays it for hours.

Jean: I hope you have a great Spring Break and do something fun! I know I plan on having fun during your spring break! I just found out my sister and her family are coming on Saturday instead of the following Tues, which I can't wait to see her. We are really close and haven't seen each other in almost 2 years.

I cleaned dd's house today. I had to clean to clean! Sheesh! That girl knows that I clean her house every other Tuesday so what does she do? She decides to clean out cabinets and drawers etc, finds she is late for work and just leaves the piles sit everywhere (she works 4-12 pm) I show up this morning and think Al Qaeda has been there and bombed or something! I spent like an hour picking up piles, putting them on tables, cleaning the floor, picking them up, putting them back on the floor so I could clean the tables, etc. What a job. I was so sore I even skipped my workout, which you know is rare for me.

Hope everyone has a great evening. I am going to finish up my book and then watch some tv and then off to be for me! I need to go to the gym first thing and workout so I will need my sleep!
Old 03-24-2004, 12:00 AM   #10  

Good Evening, Flowers!
I am heading off to bed shortly. It's been a "warm" day at 60 degrees but the clouds have taken over and the raindrops are falling. It was business as usual at school today. The state DOE is coming tomorrow to inspect our IEPs to make sure all the Ts are crossed and the Is dotted. What a waste of time and money! My guess is that most of the parents never read their copy let alone understand it.

Maggie -- We are supposed to be in the high 60s and low 70s for the rest of the week. I hope the weatherman knows what he's talking about!

"Gma" -- Your dd and I sound like we belong to the same club. I'm good at dragging things out and then letting the pile sit for days before I get back to it. I drive DH when I do that. He's very patient and just steps over or around.

Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday. March will soon be gone!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 03-24-2004, 07:54 AM   #11  

Hello ladies! It is a beautiful morning here and warming up nicely, I might add.

Jean: Kelly once decided to clean out T's closets of clothing too small for him. I went to clean and his room literally looked like both closets exploded. (his room was the "sanctuary" for the lady of the house they bought it from and her husband had an extra closet built that has a sitting room in front and a cedar closet in back and then he has his little closet too) There were clothes everywhere, toys, shoes, whatever. She has baby shower gifts that were never opened and used like bottles and such as she breastfed exclusively. She is something else when it comes to projects. She never does them on her days off! Me, I have a huge one when I get home. I am cleaning out both Jack's office closet, which has my clothes, and my clothes closet and getting rid of everything that is too big and taking it to Goodwill. I am only keep 2-3 things to exercise in, but everything else is going. I need a place for my new clothes! I have this pair of really cute pink knit capri pants that are so huge I could truly put Jack and I in them I bet. I wore them to exercise in the other day when it was so warm. The only reason half my clothes still stay up is the elastic and sooner or later even that won't keep them from falling down. I am done with those knit pants forever. I am finally able to wear more tailored clothing and boy that is what I am going to do.

Well, my vacation clothes could pose a bit of a problem. When I bought them, I went online to the weather channel to check what the average temp for April is in Vegas. March was like 68 and April like 72 so I thought with evenings always being cool I would take sweaters. WELLLLLLLLL, I have been keeping up and the temps are going to be in the mid 80's. I refuse to go out and buy a bunch of new stuff so I am going to just take what I have for the cool evenings and try and get along with the t-shirts and such I have. Brother, NEVER EVER trust the weatherman!

Faye
Old 03-24-2004, 10:52 PM   #12  

Good Evening, Flowers!
It got up to 79 degrees here today . . . a bit too much of a change too soon. There was no wind and it was just so nice outside! I could take this kind of weather all year 'round!

Not much is new from my corner of the world tonight. I had bell choir practice -- we play a week from Sunday and that will be our last performance until fall. I'm ready for it to be finished. It seems like everyone gets so busy in the springtime and it is hard to get everyone together to practice.

"Gma" -- I need to sort through clothes that I haven't worn for over a year. It's not that they don't fit, but sometimes I buy things on a whim and then when I get them home I don't like them. I haven't done that in a long time but I have some clothes that I've only worn once or twice that need to move on. I wish I could talk someone into cleaning out my extra stuff that I can't seem to part with. I'm good at moving piles around to different locations! DH just shakes his head . . . I call him Mr. Tidy House because he is so particular about his stuff.

Hope you all have a terrific Thursday! I need to tune into the weather and see what to wear for tomorrow.

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 03-25-2004, 06:44 PM   #13  
Web Nana

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It has been a good day here...not too cold and not windy. In fact I just wore a sleeveless outer vest over a blouse from car to shop. Love that. Had my yearly mamogram this AM and then a bone density scan (my first one. No sweat... was very easy. I will have to call the DR. next week to get the results as he is not usually very prompt to call me. The tech center does send out the mamogram results via mail. Well that's done for a year. Next month I will have a colonoscopy . It has been 4 years since the last one but I have family history of colon cancer so it's a must do.

My girlfriend on the Cape had a Bone Density test and the result did not surprise her. She has Osteoprosis ?SP? from her neck to her heels. She is 85 and is the most positive thinking person I have ever met. Nothing seems to get her down. She has been on the medicine for Osteo. for a while and she has to be very careful.

MAGGIE Enjoy your beautiful weather! It is good to hear you proclaim your joy of being out in the sunshine and makes me anxious for our good weather to come.

JEAN Wow! 79!!!! I heard it was supposed to be warmer here tomorrow but I doubt we will get that high. Enjoy!

FAYE You are a good mom...cleaning dd's house. I feel lucky to keep our house in some sort of order. It is easier now that it is just the two of us but I wonder if we are very clean of very dirty when I look at how fast the laundry piles up.

Gloria in MA.....off the pick up the kitchen and plan tomorrow's meals.
Have a great weekend everyone.
nanacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2004, 09:40 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Default Weigh Day Report

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

I showed a gain again this weigh day and have found that I cannot lose on the WW program eating more than an average of 25 points a day. Now that is far below what I am allowed in my weight chart but that is that. I am going back square one and do what worked for me before. I will just have to grit and bear it when I have those two 18 point days during the week and thoroughly enjoy the super high day of 35 points when it comes around.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:40 PM   #15  

Good Evening, Flowers!
It is raining in my corner of the world tonight. I am tired for some reason and am heading off to bed shortly.

Not much new or exciting from here today. One of the yahoos racked up 82 points when he only needed 20 to lose lunch privileges. At 1 point per offense (5 for being tardy or kicked out of class), he was on a roll today. He needs his own private broom closet where he doesn't have an audience! I'm sure the special ed. consultant will call a meeting on this one . . . the point sheet obviously isn't working for him. Any plan that was presented always makes more work for the teachers!

Gloria -- Nice to see you! It sounds like you had a good day!

Maggie -- I still like the WW 123 plan the best! I don't remember it exactly (and I threw the books away) but it was more restricted that the current one. I don't lose as easily on this one. I need to get my poop in a group and get back on track. I don't know what my problem is but I sure have one.

I think I am #14 so the next poster gets to start a new thread. I'm going to figure out what layers I can wear tomorrow and head for bed. Have a fantastic Friday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa!