General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 01:57 PM   #1  

Question

Wondering if anyone has had success with hypnosis?
If so, did you go to a hypnosis center?
What about hypnotic tapes?
Anyone tried self hypnosis?

I'm at my wits end. Something has got to work for me for the long haul. I'm tired of this constant yo-yoing I'm doing. I lose 30 lbs then gain 50 lbs back and so on ... I can't seem to stop this crazy cycle. I now have at least 90 lbs to lose! I know how unhealthy this pattern is. I have tried every diet under the sun and did weight lifting and walking, etc. I always lose weight, feel & look so much better and then I go back to my old bad habits and gorge everything in sight.

I think hypnosis would work for me, but I would like to know first had from someone that has actually tried it.

I would appreciate any help.
Old 04-25-2001, 02:04 PM   #2  

Hey there Just Amy, I have tried hypnosis and it worked while I was going to the lady. But in the end I gained the few "expensive" pounds back. Now I'm trying the WW at home program. At least you can eat. It's just a matter of counting points. You will lose the weight, it will take time, but it will come off! I think I've tried every diet under the sun. WW is the one program that I eventually come back to. I guess it's because it works and as long as you keep it up it will stay off. It's just a new way of watching and knowing exactly what your eating. After all we all got this way by eating and not watching! Good luck
Old 04-27-2001, 02:52 PM   #3  

Lastimeacharm,
Thanks for your response. I've finally found the answer for me.

Thanks to some wonderful people here on this board; I read "Breaking Free from Compulsive Eating" by Geneen Roth. This is a MUST read book for everyone; compulsive eater or not! It WILL change your life!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...083999-4421729

I also made myself a Self-Hypnosis tape with some positive affirmations that I'm going to listen to daily.

I've done Weight Watchers, Body-for-Life, Larry North, Atkins, food combining, numerous off the wall fad diets, and good ole basic counting calories and eating from the food pyramid. They all worked while I was doing them. They were all great "Diets."

Please read "Breaking Free from Compulsive Eating." I know it will have a profound effect on your life: it has mine.

Amy
Old 05-01-2001, 06:16 PM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default My experience with hypnosis

I did hypnosis in 1996 for about four months. During that time, I lost 36 pounds...much like Lasttimeacharm, though, it worked as long as I was GOING to the hypnotist....

It also depended on WHICH hypnotist I was working with. There was a great deal of turnover in the organization I signed up with (Master Key) so I worked with about 4 or 5 different ones. We were also given self-hypnosis tapes to use during the week. The first person was a woman with whom I hit it off immediately! She even gave me some 'private' sessions (I had signed up for the less-expensive group sessions, in which anywhere from 3 to 8 participants would be hypnotized) at no extra charge. After she left, the replacements were men - one was particularly good but the rest were 'fair to middlin'.

So does hypnosis work? I have met a couple of people who successfully used it to quit smoking. During hypnosis, it's not like in the movies - you are aware of what's going on around you - but I remember the feeling of deep relaxation was wonderful! I guess it really depends on your mindset as to whether or not it works for you...
Old 05-10-2001, 12:47 AM   #5  

Saw the hypnosis thread and had to jump in!

Does hypnosis work (I have a master's degree in psychology and have been trained in hypnosis, self-hypnosis, and various progressive relaxation techniques. I also weigh 345 lbs, so you tell me).

Actually, I'm being a bit facetious, but when most people think of hypnosis they think of the magician making people believe they are ducks and to not remember it afterward (which I doubt really would ever happen in a normal mentally healthy person - though I can see them becoming relaxed enough, as though they were slightly intoxicated, to lose their inhibitions against acting like a duck, and then afterward out of embarassment swearing that they had no memory of it)

Mrs Jims description of hypnosis is by far the most accurate "deep relaxation" which has all sorts of benefits as do the two other crucial parts of hypnosis, being able to visualize the goal, and believing that achieving it is possible. Unfortunately the triangle of relaxation, visualization, and belief isn't very easy to achieve. That doesn't mean it's not useful or effective, it's just easier said than done (but what isn't).

For alot of people, self-hypnosis works better than hypnosis (you're always in-sync with the hypnotist in terms of pace and comfort level - if a hypnotist's voice annoys you in any way it disrupts your ability to relax and concentrate). Some people like those nature sound relaxation tapes or CDs, I like Enya (the Irish singer) because the lyrics even when they're in english fade into the music yet provide a counter rythm that can be hypnotic, some people like the Gregorian chanting, whatever you find relaxing that doesn't have lyrics you're drawn to listen to...
Once you're very comfortable you may want to repeat a positive phrase about yourself or your goal, or you may just want to let yourself "daydream" about what it will be like to make the changes you want in your life.

Sorry, didn't mean to write a book.
Old 05-15-2001, 06:09 AM   #6  
Hip Highland Chick

JustAmy - I think making yourself a tape was a GREAT idea!

I have a weight loss 'hypnosis' tape that I like. I listen to it, and other tapes, quite often.

I think the biggest thing about listening to the tapes - for me, anyway - is the relaxation and the chance to re-group.

That time alone, when I've really prioritized ME, and I'm focusing on my life, my goals and my needs, makes all the difference in the world!

Even if you don't have a chance to listen to your tape, try to set aside a few minutes every day to really focus on YOU. I think that will help, too.

Good luck!
Closed Thread