Old 03-19-2004, 11:12 PM   #1  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Default Inspiration

I thought since we have a thread called Laugh Lines we should have a thread for inspiration, whether it is a quote, a prayer, a story or about weight loss. Anything that would be nice to share and possibly inspire us to either lose weight, be a better person, feel good about ourselves, etc. I will start us off with something I had posted back in August on my (3FC) online journal that I don't frequent. Anyway, enjoy and feel free to share.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:15 PM   #2  
One day at a time

Default Don't go through life so fast...

that someone has to throw a brick at you to get your attention! A young and successful executive was traveling down a neighborhood street, going a bit too fast in his new Jaguar. He was watching for kids darting out from between parked cars and slowed down when he thought he saw something. As his car passed, no children appeared. Instead, a brick smashed into the Jag's side door! He slammed on the brakes and backed the Jag back to the spot where the brick had been thrown. The angry driver then jumped out of the car, grabbed the nearest kid and pushed him up against a parked car shouting, "What was that all about and who are you? Just what the heck are you doing? That's a new car and that brick you threw is going to cost a lot of money. Why did you do it?" The young boy was apologetic. "Please, mister...please, I'm sorry but I didn't know what else to do," He pleaded. "I threw the brick because no one else would stop..." With tears dripping down his face and off his chin, the youth pointed to a spot just around a parked car. "It's my brother," he said. "He rolled off the curb and fell out of his wheelchair and I can't lift him up." Now sobbing, the boy asked the stunned executive, "Would you please help me get him back into his wheelchair? He's hurt and he's too heavy for me." Moved beyond words, the driver tried to swallow the rapidly swelling lump in his throat. He hurriedly lifted the handicapped boy back into the wheelchair, then took out a linen handkerchief and dabbed at the fresh scrapes and cuts. A quick look told him everything was going to be okay. "Thank you and may God bless you," the grateful child told the stranger. Too shook up for words, the man simply watched the boy push his wheelchair-bound brother down the sidewalk toward their home It was a long, slow walk back to the Jaguar. The damage was very noticeable, but the driver never bothered to repair the dented side door. He kept the dent there to remind him of this message "Don't go through life so fast that someone has to throw a brick at you to get your attention!"

God whispers in our souls and speaks to our hearts. Sometimes when we don't have time to listen, He has to throw a brick at us. It's our choice to listen or not.

Thought for the Day: >>If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it. If He had a wallet, your photo would be in it. He sends you flowers every spring. He sends you a sunrise every morning. Face it, friend - He is crazy about you! God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.

Read this line very slowly and let it sink in... If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:14 AM   #3  

Height: 5'1"

Smile Making a difference

A man was walking down a deserted Mexican beach at sunset. As he walked along he began to see another man in the distance.

As he grew nearer he noticed that the local native kept leaning down, picking something up, and throwing it out into the water. Time and again he kept hurling things out into the ocean.

As our friend approached even closer he noticed that the man was picking up starfish that had washed up onto the beach, and one at a time, he was throwing them back into the ocean.

The first man was puzzled. He approached the man and said, "Good Evening Friend, I was wondering what are you doing?" And he replied, "I'm throwing these starfish back into the ocean. You see, it's low tide right now and all these starfish have been washed up onto the shore. If I don't throw them back into the sea, they will die from the lack of oxygen."

"I understand," my friend replied "but there must be thousands of starfish on this beach and you couldn't possibly get to all of them. There are simply too many and don't you realize that this is happening on hundreds of beaches up and down this coast ... can't you see that that you can't possibly make a difference?

The local native smiled, bent down, picked up yet another starfish ... and as he threw it back out into the sea, he replied, "It made a difference to that one!"

You may feel like you cannot make a difference in the world today, but you CAN make a difference in one life at a time.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 03:14 AM   #4  

Smile The gift

A young man was getting ready to graduate from college.

For many months he had admired a beautiful sports car in a dealer's showroom, and knowing his father could well afford it, he told him that was all he wanted.

As Graduation Day approached, the young man awaited signs that his father had purchased the car.

Finally, on the morning of his graduation his father called him into his private study. His father told him how proud he was to have such a fine son, and told him how much he loved him. He handed his son a beautifully wrapped gift box. Curious, but somewhat disappointed the young man opened the box and found a lovely, leather-bound Bible.

Angrily, he raised his voice at his father and said, "With all your money, you give me a Bible?" and stormed out of the house, leaving the holy book.

Many years passed and the young man was very successful in business. He had a beautiful home and wonderful family, but realized his father was very old, and thought perhaps he should go to him.

He had not seen him since that graduation day. Before he could make arrangements, he received a telegram telling him his father had passed away, and willed all of his possessions to his son. He needed to come home immediately and take care of things.

When he arrived at his father's house, sudden sadness and regret filled his heart. He began to search his father's important papers and saw the still new Bible, just as he had left it years ago. With tears, he opened the Bible, and began to turn the pages.

As he read those words, a car key dropped from an envelope taped behind the Bible. It had a tag with the dealer's name, the same dealer who had the sports car he had desired. On the tag was the date of his graduation, and the words ... PAID IN FULL.

How many times do we miss God's blessings because they are not packaged as we expected?
Old 03-23-2004, 10:06 AM   #5  
One day at a time

Default Attitude IS Everything

Attitude isn't simply a state of mind...it is also a reflection of what we value.

Attitude is more than just saying "I can", it is believing you can.

It requires believing before seeing, because seeing is based on circumstances; believing is based on faith.

Attitude is so contagious, especially when we allow it to turn our doubts of the past into passions of today and set the stage for our tomorrows.

We have total ownership of our attitude. No one else has the power to alter our attitudes without our permission.

Our attitude allows us to become more empowering than money, to rise above our failures, and to accept others for who they are and what they say. It is more important than giftedness, and is the forerunner of all skills needed for happiness and success.

Our attitudes can be used to build us up or put us down--The CHOICE is OURS.

It also gives us the wisdom to know that we cannot change events of the past.

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me, and 99% how I respond to it...

And it is with this state of mind that I remain in charge of my attitude.

~Rich Wilkins
Old 03-23-2004, 10:18 AM   #6  
One day at a time

Default Don't Quit

When you've eaten too much and you can't write it down,
And you feel like the biggest failure in town.
When you want to give up just because you gave in,
And forgot all about being healthy and thin.
So what! You went over your points a bit,
It's your next move that counts...So DON'T quit!
It's a moment of truth, it's an attitude change.
It's learning the skills to get back to your range.
It's telling yourself, "you've done great up till now.
You can take on tis challenge and best it somehow."
It's part of your journey toward reaching your goal.
You're still gonna make it, just stay in control.
To stumble and fall is not a disgrace.
If you summon the will to get back in the race.
But, often the strugglers, when lsoing their grip,
Just throw in the towel and continue to slip.
And learn too late when the damage is done,
That the race wasn't over and they still could have won.
Life-style change can be awkward and slow,
But facing each challenge will help you to grow.
Success is failure turned inside out,
The silver tint in the cloud of doubt.
When you're pushing to the brink, just refuse to submit.
If you bite it, write it...But DON'T YOU QUIT!!

I don't know who wrote this or where I even found it, but I have it in my journal and it helps me when I am doubting myself and wanting to quit.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:11 PM   #7  

"Good friends are like stars ... you don't always see them, but you know they're always there."

Author Unknown

You are all my good friends........
Old 03-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #8  
kitty Momo

An Affirmation
The Ultimate Weight Solution- Dr. Phil McGraw

It feels good to be in control. When I get up in the morning, I am excited about the day.No longer ashamed of my reflection in the mirror,I like what I see and I am proud of who I am.I've found the discipline to eat according to my needs rather than be driven by self-destrcutive habits,impules,or diets. Able to face the day without overeating, I no longer allow habit and cues to dictate my life. I have a rock solid foundation for my new eating habits that cannot be destroyed. I live more fully now that my body is functioning better,and I am free to forget about food and get on with living.Gone are my old excesses, and I now have time to use for productive,enjoyable activities. Whether learning a new sport, reading a book, or writing a poem, I enjoy it more because I am not overeating. I have discovered skills I didn't think I had.I have the confidence to get involved in new persuits,take a course,or change my profession. When I walk into a room, people are cheering for me because they have known and shared my struggle. I'm asked what I have done to look so great.I finally feel good in my clothes- no more pants that won't fasten across my stomach and no more outfits intended to hide my fatness.As my body gets thinner,healthier,and more athletic,I experience it with greater awareness and pleasure.I have gained new satisfaction and self-respect in whatever I choose to do.I know life won't be a bed of roses in the future any more than it is today,but I know how to deal with difficulties. I know how to handle life with greater maturity.I know how to cope with life in positive ways without escaping into food.I am no longer going in circles, but moving forward with tremendous clarity about why I am in this world and what I am supposed to do while I am here. There is adventure in my day and joy in my heart.
I have learned to live a life of meaning and significance.
Mom2Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:24 PM   #9  
One day at a time

Smile A Smile

A smile costs nothing, but gives much.

It enriches those who receive, without making poorer those who give.

It takes but a moment, but the memory of it sometimes lasts forever.

None is so rich or mighty that he can get along without it, and none is so poor but that he can be made rich by it.

A smile creates happiness in the home, fosters good will in business, and is the countersign of friendship.

It brings rest to the weary, cheer to the discouraged, sunshine to the sad, and it is nature's best anitdote for trouble.

Yet it cannot be bought, begged, borrowed, or stolen, for it is something that is of no value to anyone until it is given away.

Some people are too tired to give you a smile.

Give them one of yours, as no one needs a smile so much as he who has no more to give.

~unknown
Old 04-07-2004, 02:37 PM   #10  
One day at a time

Default Thoughts For Life

The greatest handicap: Fear

The best day: TODAY

Easiest thing to do: Find a fault

Most useless asset: Pride

The greatest mistake: Giving up

Greatest stumbling block: Egotism

Most disagreeable person: The complainer

Worst bankruptcy: Loss of enthusiasm

Greatest need: Common sense

Meanest feeling: Regret at another's success

Best gift: Forgiveness

The greatest moment: Death

Greatest knowledge: God

The greatest thing in the world: Love
Old 04-07-2004, 02:48 PM   #11  
One day at a time

Your presence is a present to the world.
You are unique and one of a kind.
Your life can be what you want it to be.
Take the days just one at a time.

Count your blessings, not your troubles.
You will make it through whatever comes along.
Within you are so many answers.
Understand, have courage, be strong.

Do not put limits on yourself.
So many dreams are waiting to be realized.
Decisions are too important to leave to chance.
Reach for your peak, your goal and your prize.

Nothing wastes more energy than worrying.
The longer one carries a problem the heavier it gets.
Do not take things too seriously.
Live a life of serenity, not a life of regrets.

Remember that a little love goes a long way.
Remember that a lot...goes forever.
Remember that friendship is a wise investment.
Life's treasure are people together.

Realize that it is never too late.
Do ordinary things in an extraordinary way.
Have heart, hope and happiness.
Take the time to wish upon a star.

And DO NOT EVER FORGET
FOR EVEN A DAY
HOW VERY SPECIAL YOU ARE!

~Bill Greer, Chicken Soup for the Veteran's Soul
Old 04-14-2004, 07:11 PM   #12  

Default 57 cents

A sobbing little girl stood near a small church from which she had been turned away because it "was too crowded."

"I can't go to Sunday School," she sobbed to the pastor as he walked by. Seeing her shabby, unkempt appearance, the pastor guessed the reason and, taking her by the hand, took her inside and found a place for her in the Sunday school class.

The child was so touched that she went to bed that night thinking of the children who have no place to worship Jesus. Some two years later, this child lay dead in one of the poor tenement buildings and the parents called for the kind-hearted pastor, who had befriended their daughter, to handle the final arrangements.

As her poor little body was being moved, a worn and crumpled purse was found which seemed to have been rummaged from some trash dump. Inside was found 57 cents and a note scribbled in childish handwriting which read, "This is to help build the little church bigger so more children can go to Sunday School." For two years she had saved for this offering of love. When the pastor tearfully read that note, he knew instantly what he would do.

Carrying this note and the cracked pocketbook to the pulpit, he told the story of her unselfish love and devotion. He challenged his deacons to get busy and raise enough money for the larger building. But the story does not end there!

A newspaper learned of the story and published it. It was read by a Realtor who offered them a parcel of land worth many thousands. When told that the church could not pay so much, he offered it for 57 cents. Church members made large donations. Checks came from far and wide. Within five years the little girl's gift had increased to $250,000.00 -- a huge sum for that time (near the turn of the century). Her unselfish love had paid large dividend.

When you are in the city of Philadelphia, look up Temple Baptist Church, with a seating capacity of 3,300 and Temple University, where hundreds of students are trained. Have a look, too, at the Good Samaritan Hospital and at a Sunday School building which houses hundreds of Sunday Schoolers, so that no child in the area will ever need to be left outside during Sunday school time.

In one of the rooms of this building may be seen the picture of the sweet face of the little girl whose 57 cents, so sacrificially saved, made such remarkable history. Alongside of it is a portrait of her kind pastor, Dr. Russell H. Conwell, author of the book, "Acres of Diamonds" A true story, which goes to show what God can do with 57 cents.

Author Unknown
Old 04-23-2004, 05:44 PM   #13  
One day at a time

Default The Marriage Garden

Planting Directions

Plant the seeds of a happy marriage garden in careful tender rows,
between hugs and commitment, with unconditional love.
Feed with gentle word, and a playful touch.

Cultivate kindness, acceptance, respect.
Sprinkle with secret whispers and private smiles.
Sow between forgive, forget-me-nots, and forget.

Leave plenty of space for individual growth, communicate every day.
Transplant tired flowers with passion and surprise.

Scatter "I Love You" a hundred different ways.
Nuture deep-rooted intimacy, affection and joy.
Weed out secrets, prune away anger and fear.

Celebrate annually all the special days you share.
Your marriage garden will blossom everlasting, year after year.

Not sure if this actually fits in with the "inspirational" category but thought it was nice.
Old 06-27-2004, 05:44 PM   #14  
One day at a time

Thumbs up You Can Do It

One seed at a time and the garden grows
One drop at a time and the river flows
One word at a time and the book is read
One stroke at a time and the paint is spread
One chip at a time and the statue's unveiled
One step at a time and the mountain is scaled
One thing at a time and that done well
Is the only sure way to succeed and excel
You can write, you can paint, you can sculpt or climb
You can do it by taking one step at a time
~Unknown
Old 07-27-2004, 03:15 PM   #15  
One day at a time

Default Isn't It Time to Feel Good About Yourself?

So many people try to hide their pain,
pretending that if they don't talk about their worries and fears then they don't really exist.
There are people who smile on the outside,
making light and carefree conversations to prevent their intimate emotions from being exposed.
Their personal doubts and insecurities travel univited across their minds,
haunting them in the daylight and tormenting them in the night.
It is a terrible burden to bear to always question yourself and feel as if no one understands you.
Let your self-doubts vanish into the shadows;
show your true spirit to everyone you meet.
All people must travel through life not as alone, but as a caravan of people who will each experience their own set of circumstances.
Your life is everything that encircles you,
and it's important not to judge yourself critically
but to understand yourself,
not to restrict your emotions
but to express them,
not to limit yourself
but to search out every new horizon.
There are too many people trying to be somebody else.
Isn't it time to be who you are,
and isn't it time to feel good about yourself?

~~From the book Is It Time to Make a Change by Deanna Beisser

Last edited by FrouFrou; 07-27-2004 at 03:25 PM.