Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2000, 07:28 AM   #1  

Talking New format....not a new recipe~~~~

Okay- it is Spring Break time for me again and I re-did the recipe some to make it easier to read- there are no changes in ingredients or amounts from before, just a new and improved format format.

I have also calculated the nutritional info and points (both WP and 123) I figure with all the changes with the real BBC’s we may have more people looking for the recipe now. I included both the protein and carbohydrate stats, which are in line with the revamped BBC ones. I did not do any of the other vitamins as that would take to much time for me to do but I can say that they all have at least 2.5% of calcium (based on 2000 calories per day)- it comes from the yogurt. With the new fiber cap of 4 grams, they still come out to 3-4 points per cookie which is great for breakfast or a snack.

I have also included some new variations that I have tried myself. Each recipe makes four 3-4 ounce cookies- it can be doubled or even tripled- I like to start with batches of 4 so that I don’t make too many before I decide I like them and so I can have variety every week by making several variations.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Enjoy~ Christine

Here is the basic recipe (pick a variation from below- you cannot make just the basic recipe, unless you want a very plain breakfast cookie):

~1 1/2 cups wheat BRAN (NOT wheat germ, wheat bran has 32 calories and 7 grams of fiber per 1/4 cup)- Reserve 1 teaspoon for topping

~1/2 cup whole wheat flour

~1/4 cup packed brown sugar-Reserve 1 teaspoon for topping (FYI- some people have used Splenda with success, others have had problems using it. I find that when using Splenda in baking I need to have some fat added or more moisture. I feel these cookies are low enough in points that I have not tried using Splenda in this recipe)

~1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce

~1/2 cup unsweetened, fat free yogurt (non-nutrisweet or other artificial sweetener as they do not bake well)

~1 teaspoon baking powder

~pinch of salt

~1 teaspoon vanilla

~1/2 teaspoon imitation butter flavor (this is optional- can be found in some grocery stores near vanilla or sometimes in combination with vanilla- this helps give some of the "plainer" cookies with more depth- great for use in fat free/low fat baking)

********Pick one of the following variations listed below (you cannot make the basic recipe unless you want a very plain cookie). Follow the instructions, as some variations require that you omit ingredients from the basic recipe though the majority do not. ********

Mix together dry ingredients, then add in moist ingredients to make dough, stirring in fruit or chips, ect at end. Divide into 4 balls, flatten to 1/2- 3/4 inch thick on a lightly greased baking sheet or place into mini-tart pans sprayed with no-stick spray (I place the mini tart pans on a cookie sheet to make putting them in/out oven easy). Top with reserved brown sugar and bran (and nuts, if using a variation that uses walnuts). Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Do not over bake as the cookie will be dry- they should be somewhat spongy when you push on the top of the cookie (more like a muffin).

***VARIATIONS***
I listed the stats for each of the flavors of breakfast cookies with the ingredients needed for the variations given- add what I listed in ( ), omitting ingredients as noted from the basic recipe above. Winning Points followed by (WW 123)- both calculated on the Blue WW calculator from 2000, holding fiber at 4 for WP.

~Blueberry (stir in 1 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries)- WP: 3 (1), Cal 210, Protein 7, Fat 1, Fiber 13, carbs 50

~Strawberry (stir in 1 cup frozen strawberries, unsweetened, and chopped to small pieces)- WP: 3 (1), cal 200, Pro 7, Fat 1, Fiber 13, carbs 48

~Raspberry (stir in 1 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries)- WP: 3 (1), cal 200, Pro 7, Fat 1, Fiber 15, carbs 48

~Mixed berry (stir in 1 cup of assorted frozen berries)- nutritional info will vary slightly with berries used: WP 3 (1), Cal 205, Protein 7, Fat 1, Fiber 14, carbs 48

~Cherry (1/2 cup cherries unsweetened, chopped into pieces added to basic mix)- WP: 3 (1), cal 200, Pro 7, Fat 1, Fiber 15, carbs 47

~Carrot raison (Stir in 1 medium carrot, finely grated and 1/8 cup raison/currants in place of frozen fruit. Add cinnamon, clove, allspice to taste (I cheat and use pumpkin pie spice))- WP: 3 (1), cal 210, Pro 7, Fat 1, Fiber 14, carbs 50

~Tropical (stir in 1/3 cup crushed & drained pineapple, and 1/8 coconut (I get mine in the freezer section, lower cal/less sugar; omit fruit)- WP: 3 (2), Cal 206, Protein 7, Fat 2, Fiber 13, carbs 44

~Banana Nut (Decrease apple sauce to 1/4 cup, add 1 medium sized mashed ripe banana. Sprinkle 1/8 cup finely chopped walnuts on top.)- WP: 4 (2), cal 231, Protein 8, fat 4, fiber 13, carbs 50

~Maple walnut (omit the applesauce, & brown sugar. Add 1/3 cup real maple syrup and 1/8 cup finely chopped walnuts sprinkled on top)- WP: 4 (2), cal 213, Protein 8, fat 4, fiber 12, carbs 46

~Ginger Molasses (omit applesauce, add 1/3 cup molasses, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ginger, 1/8 teaspoon clove)- WP: 4 (3), cal 249, protein 8, fat 1, fiber 12, carbs 59

~ Pumpkin Spice (add 1/2 cup canned, cooked pumpkin in place of apple sauce, add 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (to taste)- WP: 3 (1), cal 195, protein 8, fat 1, fiber 14, carbs 44

~ Chocolate Chip (Use 1/2 cup prune puree in place of applesauce, stir in 2 Tablespoons of mini-chocolate chips) WP: 4 (2), cal 228, protein 8, fat 3, fiber 13, carbs 51

~ Pumpkin chocolate chip (add 1/2 cup canned, cooked pumpkin in place of apple sauce, stir in 2 Tablespoons of mini-chocolate chips) WP: 4 (2), cal 219, protein 8, fat 3, fiber 14, carbs 48

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
New ones I want to try....lemon-poppy seed, cranberry orange walnut....any other ideas? maybe pineapple carrot?

Last edited by christineu; 03-07-2001 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2000, 09:41 AM   #2  

These sound really good and seeing as my order of 4 dozen baker cookies has still not arrived i will make these tomorrow. How many points are they i don't believe you posted that, thanks for the recipe.
Old 11-14-2000, 10:01 AM   #3  

Frama-

The points vary slightly, depending on the flavor. They range from 1.5-2.0 points per cookie- but of course they are a high fiber food so some people are more comfortable counting them as 3 points. I will probably use the lower point range since I am relying on them for the high fiber to help with the side effects of my medications.

I will be interested to see how they compare to the "real" cookies when you get yours.

Take care~
Christine
Old 11-14-2000, 11:22 PM   #4  

Could I find your Klone of the No Pudge Brownies in the Archives? Can you bring it up or reprint it? Thank you.

------------------

Ann P
Old 11-14-2000, 11:44 PM   #5  

Ann-

I pulled the muffin/brownie mix back up to the top- it is under WW Dessert.

Here is a link to it~ http://www.3fatchicks.com/ubb//Forum24/HTML/000210.html

It is a good recipe to prepare to give as holiday gifts (I give the instructions for making the mixes up- all you have to add it fat free yogurt/water).

Christine
Old 11-15-2000, 12:26 AM   #6  

Thank you Christine, I found it when I worked my way to the dessert thread. Yesterday in a Low Fat Cooking Class we made the Impossible Pumpkin Pie with Splenda and it was excellent. I put the recipe in with Kelly's variations. I think the Splenda would work well in the brownies. I have used it in muffins and it they were just fine. Volumne was the same. I admire those of you that can have the talent to klone recipes. I can make some changes but have not tried over hauling a complete recipe. Thank again.

------------------

Ann P
Old 11-15-2000, 03:05 AM   #7  

Christine - Bless you, bless you, bless you. I have half a case of BBC in my freezer and they're wonderful, but the recipe will save me, probably, thousands of dollars in the course of a lifetime. You have given me the best holiday present ever...and it's weeks before the Yuletide! Can't wait to try all the variations. MANY THANKS, Susan

------------------
Susan Thurston Hamerski
WW Lifetime member
Old 11-15-2000, 05:34 AM   #8  

Susan-

I will be interested to see how you think they compare to the real ones. I have never had the real ones- never wanted to order that many and wasn't sure I would like them that much. I get my wheat bran at the bulk food store- it is something like 80 cents a pound- it takes a lot to get a pound of it.

Ann-

I don't know how I manage to klone the recipes so well. I made my first attempt at the Breakfast cookies on Saturday- I thought they were to sweet and I decided to change to whole wheat flour instead of white flour when I made them on Sunday so it really only took 2 tries. I don't know if it was luck or what.

I am still trying to come up with other variation- I may try something with maple syrup and walnuts this weekend. I may also play around with using soy flour to up the protein in them.

Christine
Old 11-15-2000, 08:21 AM   #9  

You are an angel for posting the Breakfast cookie recipe. I was on break at work when I read your post, just had to print it, and stood guard over the printer until it was in my itching hands! Can't wait to bake them this weekend. Now I'm looking for your brownie recipe. Please keep up the good work and keep those recipes coming. Will let you know how my cookies come out! Cheesehead.
Old 11-16-2000, 01:32 AM   #10  

Thank you! I'm heading to the store this afternoon to buy the ingredients!

------------------
279.4 * 238.8 * 143 (-40.6)
1st 10% goal - 28 lbs - MET 2/23/00
2nd 10% goal - 26 lbs - 13.4 to go!
New Lifestyle Started: 9/22/99

Christmas Goal = Lose 19 lbs
Current Standing = - 8.8 / 19
Started 8/7/00

http://pub21.************/bweightwatchingthe123way
Old 11-16-2000, 02:01 AM   #11  

Thanks for this. Ill be into trying them Have read so much about these "breakfast cookies" and you dont get them in New Zealand.Maybe they are like our "muslei bars" do you have them??
We call things different names .Like a cookie is a biscuit here. I think what you call a biscuit is a scone here.
If anyone has a ANGEL FOOD CAKE recipe Id love it.I know its low in fat but when ever I look at a recipe on the net for one it seems to use a packet of mix.

------------------
Obstacles are what you see when you take your mind off the goal.
Old 11-16-2000, 10:21 AM   #12  

Bee125 I have posted an Angel Food Cake Recipe made "from scratch" for you in the dessert section.

------------------

Ann P
Old 11-16-2000, 10:32 PM   #13  

This sounds really delicious. I have been dreaming about these big filling cookies forever, and I was always so jealous when people wrote about them because they sound so fantastic!! Now I can have my very own!!!

WOO HOO!!!

sara
Old 11-16-2000, 11:27 PM   #14  

Ok, my fourth batch is in the oven baking as I type. I made one back of the chocolate chip, two of the carrot raisin and one of the pumpkin...but with the last one I added the mini chocolate chips to it.

I waited on breakfast until I had the first batch done and can I just say YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!

Thanks a bunch! I figure you just saved me about $8 (ingredients cost ya know )

This weekend I'm going to attempt the no pudge brownies!!!

------------------
279.4 * 238.8 * 143 (-40.6)
1st 10% goal - 28 lbs - MET 2/23/00
2nd 10% goal - 26 lbs - 13.4 to go!
New Lifestyle Started: 9/22/99

Christmas Goal = Lose 19 lbs
Current Standing = - 8.8 / 19
Started 8/7/00

http://pub21.************/bweightwatchingthe123way
Old 11-20-2000, 09:15 PM   #15  

Another variation to pass on-

Maple walnut- omitt the applesauce, brown surgar, and frozen fruit. Add 1/3 cup real maple syrup and 1/8 cup finely chopped walnuts.

I did try the pumpkin-chocolate chip variation that Heather suggested- GREAT! Let's see what other variation we can come up with!

Christine
Closed Thread