Old 03-16-2004, 09:39 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #10

Good morning ladies. Guess I got to start the new thread.

Not much to report here. I keep going to the gym everyday and today got a compliment from one of the workers that she could see I was losing since we started at the Y two months ago, which was nice.

We have a little over 2 weeks to go until we leave for Vegas. We are consumed with going. I checked the weather channel today and the temps there for the next 10 days are upper 80's and 90's so it is going to be pretty nice. I mapped out how far a walk is from the hotel to the strip and back and it is 2.4 miles which is kind of far to go every day, but I am planning on getting up early every morning and going for a good walk. Their exercise facilities are $10 a day so I am just going to do the "free" walking and with that and the walking/sightseeing I should be in good shape.

I hope both of you are doing well today. Several parts of the country got a good snowfall the last 24 hours. We were cloudy but the clouds are moving out and it is becoming nice here. Highs in the 60's, which I will take.

Have a great day ladies.

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 04:44 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon!
It is snowing again! We got 6" of the wet sloppy stuff yesterday; Sioux City got a record 18"! They had no snow left when we were there on Sunday. Our behavior plan is beginning to have some rough spots -- the ring leader is pulling all kinds of crap. He was "high" on something yesterday but we cannot drug test without a court order unless they are being tracked by the juvenile court system which this kid is not. He is such a jerk and there is just no other way to describe him. He gives such hateful looks and stare-downs it is uncanny. I'm hoping he goes back to CA as he keeps telling us he is going to do . . . I would even offer to help him pack!

"Gma" -- I had to laugh about Butterscotch looking for the bell! I can just imagine how excited you are about your upcoming trip. Wish I were going with you!

Maggie -- I have always admired someone who could get up and speak at a funeral. I don't even have to know the deceased and I get choked up. I have finally learned to have the Kleen-X handy so I don't have to dig for it. If Will is anything like you, I'm sure he gave a very meaningful message for your friend.

I ended up with four subs, out of eight, at card club last night. The weather was so icky I was afraid I'd have to cancel it but everyone thought we should have it anyway so I'm glad we went ahead. I need to finish some laundry so best keep moving. Have a wonderful Wednesday, Flowers!

Jean -- in Iowa where it is snowing!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:14 AM   #3  

Good Morning ladies!

I am totally creeped out. I have a BIG HUGE rodent phobia and someone ran over a rat just outside my back gate in the street and on top of that when I was coming back in a live one ran out from my garage and under the gate to the neighbors. We were supposed to have baits set because we were having trouble with them in the garages. For one thing, the elderly ladies feed the birds around here with seed and of course that draws them, then I have scummy neighbors who let their brats throw food all over the place. I have been trying to get in touch with someone connected with the association to do something about this. I have been trying to keep busy to keep from thinking about it because it literally makes me sick to my stomach to even think about it. Had to call Jack just to calm down! Bless him, he asked me if I was ok and told me we would take care of the dead one when he got home because I just can't handle going out for the mail and having it laying squished in the street! YCK!

What a way to lose weight, the "Rodent" diet!

Boy today started out so well, too! I have lost 3 lbs so far this week and I am jazzed about that. I knew if I would get serious again I would start losing quickly like always. I am not going to make my goal but I am also not going to stress about something I will eventually accomplish.

Jean: Sounds like you have a humdinger student there. Sometimes the bleeding hearts just need to keep their traps shut and you should bounce the snot. He wants to screw his life up, let him, but what right does he have to mess up others with his behaviour?

Maggie: Is it as warm where you are at as it is in Southern Ca? I know my sister says they are baking there. Weird weather, 'cause in the east they had a heavy snow and I know around Indianapolis they got a lot of snow and it is pretty cold there today. We are around low 50's but supposed to be getting towards 70 today and the rest of the week.

Well, I better get hoping and get clothes folded and put away. No sense goofing off!

Faye
Old 03-17-2004, 06:01 PM   #4  

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
The sun is trying to peek out and it a nice 41 degrees outside with NO wind for a change. Not much is newsy from my corner of the world. The "ringleader" is in in-school suspension for 4 days but I haven't found out why. I am kind of surprised because he was pretty mellow in speech today. Of course that is first hour and he's probably not fully awake yet.

Maggie -- I sent replies to some of your emails last night and they all came back as having a fatal error, whatever that is!

"Gma" -- I'm with you in the rat department. We have two possums that are visiting regularly; they like the cat food. As soon as we see them we bring the food inside. They are so dumb they run right into the deck railing try to get away. I think we are going to live trap them and transplant them to the country. Our neighbor across the street said to bring them over and their hunting dog would take care of it but I just can't do that. Congrats on another loss!

Hope everyone's day has gone well! Have a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 03-18-2004, 10:06 AM   #5  

Good morning! Quick post as I need to get ready and go to the nail salon this morning. My claws need clipping!

My "problem" should be abating. I talked to the management company for the condos and they said pest control was out Saturday but would come back to my house and redo. Don't know what they do because they don't go into the garages! I have decided when pulling into the garage I will beep the horn a bunch to chase any critters out but haven't figured a way to do it when I go out to the garage!

I am down another 2 lbs! I wrote in my journal this morning that I don't understand why I let my brain control me instead of me controlling it. When I stay home and cook and stay with everything the weight really comes off quickly and I am not doing anything nutty, just my regular water, exercise and fat and calorie program. I have even been having pancakes for breakfast. I use the kind you just add water because they are lower in fat and cal and only use 1/4 c lowfat syrup which is not that cool, but sometimes I just mix fruit with a little sugar or splenda and pour over them.

Well, gotta skeddaddle!

Ok, figured out how to make noise when I am going to the car: punch my keyfob lock thing that sets the alarm a bunch of times! Such a genius!

Faye
Old 03-18-2004, 04:39 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
We got out of school at 1:00 today but I stayed to get my desk cleaned off. I hate leaving anything over the weekend. I'm looking forward to having tomorrow off and haven't decided whether to go shopping in Sioux City (I need something to wear to a couple of weddings and Easter Bunny stuff for the grandchildren) or stay home and sort through more piles. We've got to decide what we are going to do for floor covering because I want it done before school is out for the summer. We're going to recarpet the four bedrooms also, so it's going to be a major furniture moving production on top of the moving out the other two levels.

"Gma" -- If there are any critters in your garage they will have a heart attack when you sound the alarm! How do they get in your garage? When we had the "batman" come to our daughter's, he found how they get in and then plugs those holes up. He used some sort of trap so that any still inside could get out but not back in. We had a snake in the garage once and I was spooked for a long time. It's a good thing the door/light switch was close by because I wouldn't set foot in a dark garage. Since I've been feeding the stray cats, we haven't seen a live snake for several years.

Maggie -- I just replied to your email and it came back again.

Hope you all are having a nice day and have a fantastic Friday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 03-19-2004, 12:00 PM   #7  

Jean: they can get in a variety of ways. For one thing, eat condo has the garage next to it attached to it so if they have them we can get them, the foundation for the garages is awful and they can get into those "holes" you speak of. I haven't seen one in two days now so maybe whatever they do chased them away. Who cares as long as they are GONE! I told Dh about my methods for scaring them and this is what I got:

WOOHOO 8 LBS DOWN THIS WEEK! I tell ya if I stay on program and get in that exercise all the time, I would probably be 50 or 60 lbs lighter than I am. I am so stupid for not doing this. I don't have to be like others, discouraged because no progress, I have progress and still mess up! DUH!

Talk to ds and nerves are setting in now. We leave in 2 weeks and the wedding is 3 weeks from tomorrow. He is so funny. He said he just wants it to be over with! I guess that is better than being scared for it to come! They are expecting over 50 people to be there so I expect our little chapel will be squished to the rafters! One of the nice things is her paternal grandparents who are from Mexico are coming for the wedding.

Well, I need to get to house cleaning. I have wasted all sorts of time today!

Faye
Old 03-19-2004, 02:08 PM   #8  
Thin Within

Default FRIDAY it's Friday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It isn't noon yet and already it is 72 degrees and expecte to climb up to 82 this day. Wonderful "top down" weather. Not much happening around here except my trying to get a grip on my program.

JEAN I don't have a clue why your e-mails don't come through. I hear from lots of my other friends so I do know my system is receiving mail.

FAYE look at you! WOW what a nice loss CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 09:57 PM   #9  

Good Evening, Flowers!
We just returned from a trip to the grocery store. I always seem to end up with more "stuff" and a bigger bill when DH goes with me. Jason, Amanda, and Ian are coming over tomorrow so thought maybe I would fix a meatloaf.

I just finished updating Norton so hopefully will be problem free for another year.

We went to Sioux City this afternoon. The mall maintenance guys were spreading snow around the parking lot so it would melt. I suppose they just made huge piles and with 18", it would take along time to melt. I did find a spring jacket and a couple pants outfits. I didn't take time to look for a dressy outfit; by that time I wasn't in the mood to wait for a dressing room let alone try on clothes. It was a "sale day" and for a Friday it was busy in the mall. I did find some summer pjs for Ian and Madaline so considered the trip a successful one.

"Gma" -- Congrats on another 8# that are gone forever! I don't know why this losing weight has to be so darned hard but it is.

Maggie -- It was 70 degrees in Sioux City this afternoon. It didn't take long to cool down once it started getting dark. I just replied to your reply that you got my email and it came back to me again. I wonder if using the "reply" button is the problem.

I have another load of clothes drying so had better go check on them. I hope you all have a super weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 03-19-2004 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:57 AM   #10  

Jean: I hate it when the mall is crowded! Christmas time is the WORST so I stay out of malls if I can at that time of the year. I bought Thomas some new spiderman pj's, 2 books and a new video game for Easter. I have to go and get wrapping paper and a card. Mom has a fit when I buy him candy for any of the holidays so I always have to get creative and we will be flying home on Easter Sunday so I am going to take it over Tues when I clean and ask her to give it to him on Easter from us.

I never did get the house cleaned yesterday so today is the day. Jack and I got up early and went to the gym, came home and fixed and ate breakfast and I loaded the dishwasher so now I need to get in gear and start cleaning the upstairs. Jack wants to watch Texas Tech play today if they are on tv so I want to get the vacuuming done before it comes on. My vacuum could rival any Navy jets intake engines in sound! I have one of those Fantom ones, which work great but they aren't lightweight nor quiet!

Less than 2 weeks to go and everyday seems to be weeks long! I have been a dummy and been stressing out over the airplane ride. It is stupid as I weigh over 100 lbs less than I did the last time I flew so I know that the seats will be more comfortable for me. Jack told me not to worry about it (the plane is 100% full coming and going and I am stressing over the person sitting between us being made uncomfortable by me. ) He said, they would be fine and so will I so I am going to trust him!

Better go as the toilets, tubs, and rugs are calling me!

Faye
Old 03-20-2004, 01:14 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon, Flowers!
The wind is howling away outside and the wind advisory is on until late this afternoon. The sun is shining so that is good. The lake is completely open now and the waves are rolling into the shoreline. Not much is newsy from my neighborhood. I have the laundry pretty much done and will chase a few fur puffs around in a few minutes. I just feel lazy today and it's hard to keep focused on one chore.

"Gma" -- I don't buy candy although Ian discovered mini M & Ms last weekend. A friend of ours had some; I put them in a bowl with some Cheerios and he would pick out the candy. When they were gone, the Cheerios were in a pile on the floor! I'm going to look and see if I can find a small bag of them for his Easter basket. His dad has such a sweet tooth I hate to get Ian started at such a young age. I wish airlines would put in wider seats and further apart, front to back. I hate it when the person in front of me puts their seat back in my lap!

I need to get busy! Have a nice weekend, Flowers! Do something nice for yourself.

Jean -- in Iowa!
Old 03-20-2004, 09:32 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Thumbs down Saturday

GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

Beautiful day today. It go up to 82 and we went on a picnic by the river with red buds blooming and it was wonderful! Yep and "top down" for sure. We have decided to do this each Saturday for lunch while the weather is so good. It is 6:30 p.m. right now and it is 72 degrees and quite lovely.

FAYE don't worry about the plane ride. You have shruck so much since your last ride that you will be surprised. What a wonderful surprise it will be.

JEAN you wear a coat in spring? I don't even wear one in winter here. What a difference it makes. I do own some jackets and wraps but they are just in the closet in plastic. I have them from when we lived out in the cold country and keep them because we may have to visit back there in the cold times one day.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:12 PM   #13  

Maggie, better pack a jacket when you come to Iowa!
Old 03-21-2004, 01:26 AM   #14  
Thin Within

Default Later Saturday

I will JEAN because in September it can get cold out your way! I remember one time we took our Jeep out to Iowa and it was so cold and the wind was blowing it froze the plastic windows and cracked them. We had to bundle up real good and have the heater on full blast to get out of there.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:33 AM   #15  

Maggie: Thanks for the supporting words. I freak out too much about other people's comfort and don't think about my own. I am to the point where I don't care if I have to ride on the wing as long as we can get going!!!

Whoooo we had one heck of a storm last night. Power was out for about 5 hours. I told Jack it is a good thing we get along so well as all there was to do was TALK! The house smelled nice though because I had lighted candles all over the place. Jack did miss the last few minutes of the Texas Tech game (he is a huge B Knight fan) but they lost so it was a moot point I guess.

Jean: M and M's were Thomas's first candy and he still loves them and peanut butter cups. His mom didn't let him have pb though until well after his 2nd birthday. He gets plenty of candy I can guarantee and I don't mind the rules if EVERYONE has to follow them. I mean, if you were a kid, which grandma would you like, the pj one or the candy one??????? Her mil is a real pistol and a pain in the........

Well, I should go and get some breakfast going. Pancakes for us this AM as I am out of bread.

Faye