Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-04-2004, 04:17 PM   #1  

Default Reebok Step vs. Original Health Club Step

Hi. I’ve been searching for a step and don’t want to make any mistakes since I recently made a big one. I recently ordered the Super Step Bench system from Walmart.com. I thought I was being so clever in ordering this step since I needed a bench that could reach at least 14 inches so that I could use it in lieu of the Firm Fanny lifter, but that could also be used for traditional step aerobics and as a weight bench. I finally got the step and discovered that it wasn’t ideal as a traditional step bench because the height increases too much with each additional riser (w/ no riser, it’s 5.5 inches. It increases 5 inches with each riser added, so the next height would be 10.5, and the next 15.5). I wasn’t getting enough of a workout at 5.5 height and was getting too much of a workout (not to mention sore knees) with the 10.5 height. Luckily, I took it back to my local Walmart & they refunded me (I still had to eat the $12 shipping! )

Now, I’m on the hunt again, and am seeking advice from anyone who has used either the Reebok Step or the Original Health Club Step (this one is usually colored teal & pink) or both. What has been your experience with your step? If you’ve had both, which did you prefer? I know that the newer Reebok Steps don’t use risers, and I suppose there are advantages and disadvantages to that.

By the way, I plan on getting a Rubbermaid Step Stool to use in lieu of a fanny lifter, so my step will be used just as a weight bench and for step aerobics.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
vmelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 08:22 AM   #2  

I bought the Original Health Club step years ago and have always liked it. Just recently I bought some Firm tapes (without the fanny lifter) and found this square top (or platform) you can buy to put on the risers to create a "high step." So far this has worked great as an alternative to the fanny lifter (and cheaper since I already had the orginal step).

Here is where I bought mine: http://www.fwonline.com/highstep.htm

(I've read that Cathe Friedrich is planning on coming out with some new beginner/intermediate workout videos incorporating the high step, which gave me another excuse to buy the high step instead of the fanny lifter.)
Maurene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 10:48 AM   #3  
Countess Walks-on-Water

I was going to say exactly what Maurene did - and since the Step Co. steps hold up so well, you might want to check with a used sporting goods store to see if they have any.
treasaigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 12:45 PM   #4  

Thanks, you guys. I actually did buy the Step Co. step. I couldn't find one used, so I bought it at Sports Authority. I even got a free Cathe Friedrich step VHS with it! I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and am loving it! Thanks, again.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:34 PM   #5  
Countess Walks-on-Water

Ah, good deal. Is that Cathe's All Step? If you're not already familiar with Cathe, she's wonderful. She gave me the variety and motivation I needed to stay consistent for almost two years now!!
Old 03-17-2004, 07:25 PM   #6  

Hi, Tracy. Yes, it is All Step. It's the first Cathe I've tried, but I've heard a lot of good things about her workouts from the people who post on the Video Fitness forum. It's good to get another endorsement for her. In fact, I'm going to be getting her Bootcamp/Muscle Endurance DVD soon. I can't wait! Thanks, again, for the tip.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:36 PM   #7  
Countess Walks-on-Water

Ah, yes, I recognize your username now from Ya-Yas! Have fun!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:59 PM   #8  

Yes, I guess I make all my rounds on the Internet!