Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 11:09 AM   #1  

Default Will this ever change?

Here’s a question … does your mental attitude towards eating, especially stress eating, really change or do you just learn to fight back more effectively?

I had a bit of a rough morning … nothing outrageous, just one of “those days”: Slo-mo child, lost keys, had sticker-shock a the gas pump, forgot my work id, etc … and then when I got to work, everybody was in JEANS … they declared this ‘sick of winter’ day ok’d casual dress and they’re serving slush this afternoon. (I don’t like slush, no big deal ) I forgot all about it … I was frustrated w/ myself that I spent time ironing clothes last night when jeans and a sweatshirt would have been just fine. AND … as I was taking off my coat, I thought “I think I’ll go to the caf and get a breakfast burrito.” ARGHHH!!!!!

Where did that come from? I ate my cereal, as planned … but I’m still bewildered by that thought. It’s no secret that I’m a stress eater, so I guess it’s related to that … but my question is, do these types of thoughts ever stop popping up?!?!
Old 03-16-2004, 01:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Boy, that's a tough one.

For me, the answer is no, even after losing almost 70 lbs., I still have problems with emotional eating. But I am able to control it a bit better. Not all the time, but more than 50% of the time. Sometimes the eating is terribly mindless, then other times, I stop and think about it, and those times I am able to talk myself out of it.

I wish I could say that there is a magic solution to stress eating, and, hey, maybe someone else has one--if you do, let us all know!
Old 03-16-2004, 02:40 PM   #3  

Hi Steph,

You know, I want to say Yes it will get better once you learn to deal with food in a more constructive manner. You have probably already made a huge step in being able to process your thinking from the stress you went through earlier today to the point of saying I want a breakfast burrito. That is actually a very big insight into your behavior and you are noting it and questioning why you are thinking that way. So, with that being the case as you gain more insight into what your triggers are you can correct them with things other than food - ie. I am stressed I need to jog the stairs for a few minutes (please dear god let me get to this point sometime in my lifetime! lol), or go for a walk or talk to a friend or some other non food release. I think it is Ms. Chris who so very eloquently states "I will put relationships before food" (hope I didn't misquote you Chris). So, while those things may be going on in your head, you are processing and that is the key to getting yourself to a better place. Thought vs. action. I have a book called "Thin for Life" and it follows folks who have actually lost and maintained a significant weight loss. It appears from these people that it is possible to change these thoughts - one habit at a time.

Sorry, I am long winded on this question because I have been struggling with it myself. A lightbulb went off for me when you called it stress eating because I actually referred to it as personal sabotage but it isn't - it is, for me, not coping with stress in a proactive way. So, your not alone and we can make the changes and be successful even if those "thoughts" jump out at us once in awhile - we can tuck them back away where they belong and continue to be kind to our bodies!

Jenaya
Old 03-16-2004, 02:44 PM   #4  
Crazy Canuck

I think we just have to accept that we'll be tempted to overeat when we're stressed and not dwell on whether that impulse will ever leave. I think the bigger issue is not ridding ourselves of the impulse, but learning how to deal with it - which is a true success and something we can be proud of. Steph, the fact you overcame the brekkie burrito urge and ate your cereal shows you're able to think it through and access some sort of internal tool, which in a way IS a change in mental attitude. I'm on the same page as Sheila - even after a large weight loss over a period of time, I'm still prone to stress eating, and can't see that changing, but I think I've become more adept at damage control. It's just one battle after another isn't it?
Old 03-16-2004, 04:20 PM   #5  
Old Cackler

jiffypop = stress eater. and so i knit. and avoid pretzels. and do my best to stay calm. it's a second to second battle some days...

but it IS getting easier. especially since i get sick if i stress eat. things were getting so bad i had to find a therapist to help me cope with all the stress in my life because the only thing i knew for sure was that stress eating would make me gain all this 200+ pounds that i've lost!!!

and i can't do that!!!! i WON'T do that... <go ahead.. hum the Marseillaise if you feel so inclined!!!>
Old 03-16-2004, 06:39 PM   #6  

For me, I think those thoughts will always pop up automatically. But now that I think about it I really think it has gotten a little bit easier. Now, here is the real kicker. The other day after haveing "words" with my husband, my first impulse was to go run on the treadmill! So I did! That was a first for me. So maybe, over time, we can retrain ourselves to handle stress differently. A girl can hope, can't she???

Beverly
Old 03-17-2004, 09:13 AM   #7  

Oh Beverly, Thanks for those words. Perhaps the stairs thing will actually happen for me one day! Glad to hear of your treadmill episode.

Jenaya
Old 03-17-2004, 02:27 PM   #8  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Will it ever change? Yes, in some ways, and in other ways no. What I mean, is we will always feel that food is a place to turn when we are emotionally hot.....but like people have mentioned, how we deal with MUST change. If not....we are not gonna move on up.

I hate this compulsion of mine, I really do!
Closed Thread