Old 03-15-2004, 12:56 AM   #1  
More Tortoise than Hare

S/C/G: 320/317/199

Cool Singles March Challenge

Hello! Welcome to the Singles March Challenge, beginning 3/15 and ending 21 days later on 4/4.

While the group began as a gathering for those who are living with some of the same unique experiences -- shopping for one, going to the gym and feeling old and alone and frumpy, spending the night with the internet or The Apprentice and Ben & Jerry's, filling a closet with bridesmaids dresses, that sort of thing -- all who want to join are welcome!

The idea of a challenge is to post each day (or as best you can) for 21 days, recording whether you exercised, ate within your personal goals, and drank water (ideally 64 ounces). You can also add whatever thoughts you have, whatever you want to share.

For example, you might post
exercise: 30 minutes walk, 5 minute stretch
water: 8 glasses
food plan: ate within my plan and resisted the office donuts! I rock!
Then write whatever you'd like to share.

Or don't put any of that and just write what you want to!

Privately, you might record your weight and measurements at the beginning of the challenge and the end of the challenge. If you want to share your pounds and inches lost at the finish, we can then celebrate.

So far, we're five challengers strong, but more are welcome!

Last edited by shimmers; 03-26-2004 at 11:24 PM.
shimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:47 AM   #2  

Well it's almost 6 a.m. and I did my two mile tape and almost through a 20 oz. bottle of water. So far so good. DM
DaisyMaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 11:04 AM   #3  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

I hopped on the scale this morning so I could let you all know where I stand at the beginning of this challenge--227! That's 3 more pounds down! Hooray! I'm a little pressed for time right now, but I'll let you all know my measurements and goals and so forth this evening. I just wanted to let you know I'm here and going strong (and spread the news about my loss).
~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 01:48 PM   #4  

Good Afternoon All
We'll it almost 1pm... and I have not had any chocolate at all... For me that is a big Hooray... Now I will admit I have been thinking about it.
I have had 24 oz of water... and I really need to work on that and for lunch I'm having a big salad with chicken in it. I was not able to weight in this morning to many meeting, but will do that tomorrow..

Oh, why do we sabatoge ourselves? Last night I ate so much junk it was like it was my last meal... I knew what I was doing yet I could not stop... WHY?WHY?
1day@atime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 08:38 PM   #5  
More Tortoise than Hare

What a great way to begin! Elisha, congratulations on those three hard won pounds

exercise: I made it to the gym this morning, which was a huge accomplishment. I DO love to sleep in. However, thoughts of posting here tonight got me up and going, and of course, once I was done with the workout, I felt sooooooo good. It's not the workout I like; it's the stretching and feeling loose and unstressed and relaxed afterward.

Maybe I should modify that cliche, "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels," into "No sleep feels as good as thin feels." *sighs* but I do love bed.

water:I've had 44 ounces of water so far and plan to make my 64 with dinner.

food: so far I've eaten within limit, mainly because I'm so busy in the day, I don't eat much. My demon is night time grazing. arrrrgh. How about you all?

~Shimmers~
Old 03-15-2004, 09:19 PM   #6  

HI,
I can't believe I am posting again. I did get 40 ounces of water in plus a SF soda. I also tried to eat more fruits and veggies today. I used to do Weight Watchers but that group closed so I am going to try to do it by myself. I am trying.... DM
Old 03-15-2004, 11:17 PM   #7  
Bound and Determined

Default Not Bad

I didn't do too bad on eating today. That is, I didn't eat a lot, but what I did eat wasn't that great. And I didn't drink much water. I had a hurried breakfast and then Mom bought me lunch out (Subway, so not as bad as it could have been), and then at dinner I had Diet Dr. Pepper, which I love, but I always drink it more slowly than I drink water, so my 1 glass of soda takes me 2 hours to drink, whereas 1 glass of water lasts about 15 minutes. But it's ok, because I did exercise today, and beat my goal time by 7 seconds (2 miles on the treadmill in 30minutes and 58 seconds! Fastest ever!). I love the feeling I get after I exercise, when I'm finally cooled down and realize that I'm another step closer to my goal....

Let's see... goals.
1. Drink more water. I am drinking more water than I used to, but by the end of this 3 weeks I want to be getting at least my recommended 64 oz. every single day.
2. Lose 4 pounds. Actually, I'd like to lose a lot more than that, but my goal is 5 pounds per month (I'm trying to be reasonable), so 4 pounds in 3 weeks is ok, right?
3. Make 2 miles in 30 minutes flat. That's my goal, 4mph. From there I'll start increasing my time again until I do 3 miles in 45 minutes, though I'm not planning on that happening in 3 weeks.

Okay, my brain-train just derailed, so I guess that's all for now. I'll keep you updated.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:46 PM   #8  
More Tortoise than Hare

Whew, goals. hmmm. I think just being here everyday will be a goal to accomplish. A few pounds would be nice too. I'm just beginning anew, so I'm going to count every little gesture as a success! 64 ounces, 30 minutes on the treadmill 5 x a week, and reducing my nighttime eating -- these would be True successes. And day one, I got it done! wooHAH
Old 03-16-2004, 07:39 PM   #9  

HI,
I did my tape again this morning and also did my 40 oz. of water and a can of diet pop. (I am sooooo craving for a Subway sub.) I am not doing so good on fruits and veggies today. I also binged my way through 1/2 bag of Nestle Treasures. DM
Old 03-16-2004, 10:27 PM   #10  
More Tortoise than Hare

Went to the gym this morning and then walked my dog on the dunes this evening, so that feels Great. I had bunches of water, although I don't know how much, probably about 6 glasses so far. And I ate within plan -- now to see about the night grazing. argh.
Work stress and pms got to me today, but I was comforted by they gym and sunset on the dunes, looking out over the bay. Hope everyone had a great day.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:57 PM   #11  

Hello All!
So stressed today I did not make it though my first day of South Beach...but today is a new day.
1day@atime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:02 PM   #12  
Lovin' Zumba!

Hi gals - think I'll join in your group if you don't mind. I'm 40, single, never married, no kids and doing Body for Life. I'm just finishing up my 4th Challenge and have had great sucess with this program. I live in Upstate NY.

I'm wondering, are you open to talking about dating, and stuff like that which we deal with as overweight singles?

I'll post more tonight when I'm home from work.
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:16 PM   #13  
More Tortoise than Hare

Hey CSIers (that's Challengeras Singularus Intrepidus--our latin name ... )

I've now been to the gym 5 days in a row! I can take tomorrow off without guilt, but I'm going to try to keep the run going as long as I can. I only did 15 minutes on the bike because I just can't get into it -- 2 treadmills were broken and the other two had a waiting list. But I stretched well afterward, and then tonight came home and walked my dog. So I reckon that 40 minutes or so. I know a sustained raised heart rate of 30 minutes is better, but today there were *sighhhs* obstacles. lol.

I've eaten within plan and had a yummy sandwich at lunch -- turkey, lettuce, cucumber and grilled red peppers, okay with one slice of provolone, but only one thin one. Water I'm still working on, but added a big bottle-o-Dasani to my office today and sipped on that.

1Day, hope you'll tell us how South Beach goes! I adore carbs and fear the withdrawls too much to try a low card diet, but I hear SB is less stingent than Atkins about that. Wishing you well!

Cindy, for myself, I'm open to talking about dating things and such, especially since I think losing weight is only part of my desire for a total move to wellness. I was so unhappy with my last relationship, I gained 60 pounds in two years. I also lost myself as Any sort of priority in my life. Now, like to believe I make myself important to me when I do good things for myself like say no to a meeting and go to the gym instead or take my dog for a walk on the beach or buy the expensive little tub of frozen yogurt because I want to and I can. And I like the little bits of "dating" attention I'm getting as I lose weight -- and look forward to more!

Hope everyone had a great day!
~Shimmers~
Old 03-18-2004, 05:57 PM   #14  
Bound and Determined

Whew! I made it back! I've been technologically unavailable for a few days (meaning my computer went all wonky), and I found out that not checking in here every day is bad for my diet. Last night I went a little off plan on purpose, kind of to prove to myself that I can still eat the food I love as long as I do it in moderation, but apparently I was wrong, because I didn't stop... well, until right now, I guess. Yesterday was my day off from exercise, and today is going to be so hard to get back on that treadmill, but I will force myself to do it. That's one thing I'm getting pretty good at. I made up a new exercise schedule for myself that starts on Sunday, one that includes both upper and lower body strength training. That's another goal for me: add regular strength training.
I've been trying to get all my water in, but I figured out that I'm cheating a little. I'll write down a glass of water, then I won't drink the whole thing. But I'll drink it, say, in the morning or during dinner or whenever, and I'll log it as another glass. Tsk tsk tsk. But even if I was drinking all the glasses I write down, I'm still not drinking enough.
Ok, brother is waiting for the computer, so I'll write more later.
~E
Old 03-19-2004, 12:37 AM   #15  
More Tortoise than Hare

Just put in my 13 hour Thursday ... ugh. Those are just brutal. And day 6 at the gym didn't pan out. I woke up with a rotten pinch in my neck. But I ate right and drank a fair bit of water and felt good with the day. Only a short post today. Hope everyone made their goals!
~Shimmers~