Old 03-10-2004, 03:09 PM   #1  
Domestic Goddess

Wink Fiber supplements...Metamucil or ?

Hi everyone,

I've been having a bit of trouble ....I need more fiber. I do get fiber from my veggies and salads...but I need more.

How do you get the fiber you need? I don't want to get graphic but I'm sure that you know what I'm talking about

I was thinking about getting some Metamucil but maybe there is something that will get things moving a little better then that.
ChrissyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:16 PM   #2  
Mouth of the South

Atkins recommends in his book to take psyllulm husks. You can get them in bulk at any health food store. They are cheaper that way. Also make sure you are drinking enough water, especially with the husks. Hope this helps!
Catgirl67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 03:58 PM   #3  

I use Citrucil (sp). Tastes much better than Metamucil. You can get it sugar free also. It has 4 grams of fiber in it. I don't count that in my daily total though.

Helps a lot
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 07:55 PM   #4  
Baby Steps

I'm lucky and haven't had a problem (yet). Things move along quite well for me. Not sure what I'm doing that's making that happen though. Isn't there pill forms for that??
lady_adnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 08:26 PM   #5  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

Pill (caplet) form psyllium husks for me....work great!!
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 09:17 PM   #6  

Fibercon twice a day is what my doc recommended on Atkins. Drink lots of water!!! I could not bear the thought of Metamucil or anything gritty I would have to drink. Good luck with this!!
southerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 09:55 AM   #7  
Domestic Goddess

You know I don't even think we have a Health Food store in my area. At least not that I know of. I'll have to check in the phone book and see what's listed.

I do remember Dr. A recommending the psyllulm husks but I've never taken the time to look for it. I'll have to check it out and see what I can find.

I can't take laxatives...they kill me. I've given birth five times not one of my boys was under 9 pounds. Two of them were near 11 lbs...I would rather go through their births again then be constipated. It's the worse!!!!!

Thanks!

Blessings to all,

ChrissyB
Old 03-11-2004, 12:20 PM   #8  
Mouth of the South

Chrissy,

You can find psyllium husks in any drug store like Walgreens, or the health isle at your supermarket, or if you supermarket has a pharmacy, they probably have them.
Old 03-11-2004, 02:10 PM   #9  
Domestic Goddess

O.K. I'll have to check our local drug store. I'll ask at the pharmacy at the grocery store too. I think it would be a good thing to keep on hand. Do you take them daily or just as needed?
Old 03-11-2004, 02:45 PM   #10  
Mouth of the South

I haven't had to take them, but a friend of mine did. She took them as needed, and they seemed to do the trick. If you can, find the tablets. They are eaiser to stomach than the loose husks.