Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 08:52 AM   #1  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Question ? about stretchmarks :(

Well...sometimes I feel like I am a walking stretchmark...because just when I thought I have no more room on my body for another stretch mark...I find a couple more. So, my question to all of you who have em....can we get stretch marks as we lose weight too? I was always under the impression we get them as we stretch and gain weight...and not lose weight. So, am I imagining more suigglie lines?
Old 03-10-2004, 11:47 AM   #2  

I started noticing new stretch marks when I started losing weight. I don't think I was getting new ones, I haven't gotten any since and the old ones are finally starting to fade. I think that I was much more conscious of the way my body looked because I was looking for changes from the weight loss and was actually discovering old stretch marks that I had not been aware of.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:14 PM   #3  
You can do it!!!!

good point...I didn't think of that. But, I KNOW i have seen some more....on places I KNOW where stretch mark free...ugh!
Old 03-10-2004, 01:15 PM   #4  

I have heard that you CAN get stretch marks as you lose weight. I think it has something to do with the changing of your skin. I know I have seen a couple here and there I didn't notice before but maybe it's just because they were old and fadded and then as I lost a little they became more noticable. I found this in some papers I had here:

Stretch marks affect about 75 to 90 percent of all pregnant women, 90 percent of white women develop stretch marks during pregnancy. The sustained stretching on the abdomen as a result of weight gain usually means stretch marks will appear during the sixth or seventh month of pregnancy. Stretch marks are also experienced by adolescents during a growth spurt and athletes (especially bodybuilders who practice strenuous and repetitive exercise) are likely to get stretch marks, as is anyone who gains or loses a significant amount of weight in a short period of time. If you never gain weight for any reason over the course of your life, you are not likely to develop stretch marks.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:54 PM   #5  
Plush Princess

I don't have any info on the science of why its happening, but I, too and seeing more stretch marks as I lose fat, particularly on my stomach. My take is that they were extremely hard to see (and I never went looking for them) while my skin was more stretched out. Now that its looser, they're a LOT more obvious.

I have made a vow to myself not to care about stretch marks and loose skin. Surgery is not for me, and all I can do is take the best care of myself possible - DH loves me no matter what. I refuse to get worked up over them. Mind you, if I could snap my fingers and make them go away - I would
Old 03-10-2004, 06:24 PM   #6  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Stretchmarks TOTALLY depress me. And I've noticed a ton since losing weight but that's due to YK's point: they were taunt and now they're not. SOOOO sad.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:48 PM   #7  
Crazy Canuck

Heck, mine look like irrigation. I could probably plant veggies in them and have a harvest come fall...
Old 03-10-2004, 11:10 PM   #8  
beautiful

i look like a road atlas!!!!! LOL i have them EVERYWHERE!!! on my boobs, my stomach, my butt, my thighs, behind my knees, my upper arms, my hips ......... what am i forgetting?
i haven't noticed any new ones but i think only because i hate looking at myself so much that i dont look for them.
Old 03-10-2004, 11:36 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

The roadmap of life. . . That's what I keep telling myself. Applies to these danged wrinkles that are popping up on my face. I swear that they weren't there 67 lbs. ago!

So, I wonder what actresses do to avoid stretchmarks after getting pregnant? I mean, come on, Demi Moore had three kids. How can she look so good in a bikini at 40? Is there a surgery to get rid of stretch marks? I'm naive about these things.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:00 PM   #10  
You can do it!!!!

Great points ladies.....Thanks for your wise imput.

I don't think there is any kind of lazer surgery out there. I beleive they say it is genetic...so some people, perhaps Demi More, are just lucky when it comes to genetics. I am not too bothered by them...I guess I am used to them, but I do have some really deep, deep ones, that are kind a scary. Oh well, guess I will keep rubbing in that cocoa butter in!
Old 03-12-2004, 02:27 AM   #11  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I used to work with cosmetic lasers and right next to a plastic surgeons office and sorry ladies, there is no cure for stretch marks. Sometimes when they do a tummy tuck they pull down the skin on the top half of your belly because it usually is in better shape but not mine!!
Old 03-12-2004, 08:26 AM   #12  
Searching

I only have stretch marks on my belly some frm having babies and some from the yo-yo weight loss and gain in my life. They use to look like flames and now are becoming more flesh toned. They are my battle scars. The scars of self hatred, the scars of motherhood, the scars of addiction. They are my humble reminder of my humanity, my beauty, and my womanhood, I would not give them away. Now the very loose skin at the bottom of my belly, its yours for free if you would like it

Miss Chris
Old 03-12-2004, 10:40 AM   #13  

Miss Chris,

I love your analogy of stretch marks and battle scars. I'm going to print your remarks and keep them as a reminder when I get discouraged about them.

Marilyn
Old 03-12-2004, 10:49 AM   #14  
beautiful

you can get your stretch marks tattooed to match your skin tone. i personally would never do it but i know a girl who did. it looks really good but the bad part is that the tattooed part doesn't tan when she is out in the sun.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:36 PM   #15  

I have more stretch marcks then you all would care to hear about. About getting them as you lose weight, I would think it would depend on how much you have lost and how much loose skin you have. I can see them developing if you have a ton of very loose hanging skin, then maybe the wieght can cause some stretch marks that you didn't have before. I don't know, but other then that, it may just be that you didn't notice them before because they were blended in more when the skin was stretched.

That's my two cents, lol
Closed Thread