Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 06:00 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – June 2018 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 06-01-2018, 06:01 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Deaf and blind Helen Keller dies at age 87 (1968, Westport, Connecticut)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked to dinner, CREDIT moi, at the nearby sushi bar. Alas, it was closed - like for a vacation or something. A bright young lady approached us holding her smart phone, "Did you also order from them online?" Seems that she'd placed an order via her phone and come down to pick it up. The place is sophisticated enough to have a web ordering system but failed to shut down the site when they were closed. She was surprised that we had come there without ordering in advance. We were surprised that someone would order sushi in advance when half the joy is watching marvelously skilled Japanese chefs create the plate.

So, we had dinner at the place next door, ramen noodles - a HUGE bowl of ramen with to-die-for broth, pork, veggies, and seaweed. Each bowl is enough for a family. I did leave some noodles, CREDIT moi, but consumed enough salt for the rest of the week. The clientele is mostly Asian, and mostly young. We are not inconspicuous but are welcomed. I tip well at low price places in my attempt to repay the system for all the times I tipped poorly when I had little money.

silverbirch – If your DB and friends don't go camping, what happens to the rum soaked fruit cake? Inquiring minds need to know, LOL. Congrats for creating a decluttering business. I imagine you're great at it.

maryann - Yep, salt takes a while to move along. Kudos for continuing to work your eating plan to find your fit.

nationalparker – Waving. Thinking of you because today is National Doughnut Day - since 1938 by the Chicago Salvation Army. The original doughnuts were served by the Salvation Army to soldiers in World War I. Feel free to use this historic information to stand down your company's Donut Day today.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Kudos for thriving with your first self-cooked dinner in months. [Thanks for the link to Tom Chapin; that might appeal to her.]

Readers -
Quote:
day 9 Select an Exercise Plan

Exercise has many diet- and non-diet related benefits: . . .

Exercise might help control appetite. Although study results are mixed, some physiologists believe that regular exercise helps to regulate the appetite-control system.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 107.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

I had my interview at my agency yesterday. I think it went quite well, they nodded with much of what I said. I was so nervous before I went in, then got more relaxed as time went on, hopefully not too relaxed because that is when you can slip up and say the wrong thing. So we'll see- they'll let me know by the end of next week. nothing ventured, nothing gained.
i am way off track again with eating sweets. Wayyy too much going on here and I didn't sleep well thinking about it all. I can't wait until the end of next week when its all over. 2 parties to go to on Saturday, DD graduating Sunday and stuff to do for that, off to a 2 day orientation at college, and her surgery (sh'ell be in the hospital for a few days and I'll be with her) plus making arrangements for DS stuff while i'm gone, and trying to clean up for in laws that will come to stay with DS. Plus coping with DD who is understandably an emotional mess. Ack!!
Happy friday all- can't believe its June already!

Last edited by curlyjax; 06-01-2018 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #4  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default The Moon in June

Coaches

So, planning to be on plan today, as I was yesterday, and the day before. Yay! Credit moi.

I got in lots of walking exercise yesterday while I spent time at the Eaton Centre in downtown Toronto. Huge mall. Huge prices. I just wanted good sandals to walk in. Everything 50%off! Great I thought. Then the price: $128 $158 Or my favorite $379-- at 50% off!

Still wearing my sandals as I write this. Hoping to ditch them for a new pair of something today.

Clothes shopping was worse as things were both too expensive and too small.
Some days I can find things easy. Other days, nada.

Best part of the past few days is being on plan. Why I ever go off plan is beyond me. One day at a time.

Curlyjax: hang in there friend!

Last edited by onebyone; 06-01-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:12 PM   #5  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone.

Today was a 5 product day. No food yet. I find I really like the variety of sometimes eating but with the familiarity and simplicity of days when I stick with my shakes and bars.

It was beautiful here today so after I finished working I left DH working in the garage and went to the forest preserve near our lot and took a walk around the lake there.

Exercise for June: +31 31/300

I'm going to track my exercise this month--I hope my coaches will help hold me accountable for that!

I'm planning for tomorrow. If I get up before DH (almost a certainly), I"ll put another coat of paint on my outdoor sofa and then go back to the forest preserve for another walk.

onebyone: Shoes are incredibly expensive. I've given up on inexpensive if they're comfortable and attractive.

curlyjax: I'm glad you were able to relax at your interview. It sounds as if chaos is swirling around you. I hope some of it calms.

BillBlueEyes: Credit for walking to dinner--I think it's cool that you live in a place where so much is walkable!

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 06-02-2018, 02:59 AM   #6  
in development

It's a misty, moisty morning here and I have another day working on clutter. The DB was given a bike from the house and he's planning to bike off to see a friend. This will save him a lot of time as there are no direct buses. And save him money too, so that is good.

Exercise - stairs etc. Downside is that my knee/hip seems to have popped out of alignment again. I'm seeing my trainer/fixer on Monday.

Food - good when working but so exhausted when I got in that I ate too much.

Beth, familiarity and simplicity are reassuring. I love them.

onebyone, clothes shopping is not my favourite thing, at all.

curlyjax, I can only offer you the advice I give myself which is to breathe! I try to breathe deeply before meals, and before the next wave of stuff. It seems to be hard when waves of stuff keep on coming.

Bill, the fruitcake is going the way of all fruitcakes. I had a couple of slices when I came in yesterday afternoon with a couple of cups of tea. I rather think that it's part of the DB's lunch - quick and easy with a slice of cheese (that's traditional). Not sure how much the SO eats. Should I send a slice or two over? You'll have to say yes or no pretty quickly. It has brandy in it (trad. spirit for our cakes).

Last edited by silverbirch; 06-02-2018 at 02:59 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:00 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Saturday - Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II (1953, London’s Westminster Abbey)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Eternally grateful to our Canadian friends for producing Alanis Morissette after attending jagged little pill last night. Billed as "World Premiere Musical," we really didn't know what to expect. It dealt with powerful, adult topics all while a stageful of young adults danced and sang for over two hours. I've been forever grateful to Canada for Leonard Cohen, but had forgotten about Morissette - thinking she was from forever ago. Must be something in the water up there. (Just remembered Justin Bieber; OK, gratitude to Canada bounded.) For those trying to remember her, as I type I'm listening to Alanis Morissette with lyrics.

First for us was using Gender Neutral restrooms at intermission. The two large ones were labeled "Gender Neutral, stalls only," and "Gender Neutral, stalls and urinals." The line for the room with stalls and urinals was about one third female. DW and I walked in arm-in-arm, like kids at a rock concert back when all rest rooms were for "whoever" by action of the crowd. I felt like I was in Paris at a public pissoir, leaving the room strangely in want of a good croissant. No evening snacks, CREDIT moi, less due to diligence than to being out and about.

onebyone – Hard to imagine sandals for "$379-- at 50% off!" You wouldn't, of course, wear then outside or on hard floors, LOL. Kudos for lots of walking.

silverbirch – Hope that knee stays OK until Monday. [Yes, do ship brandy fruit cake - with the best of UK and US mail systems I'll be sure to get it by Christmas, our traditional time for fruit cake. Never had it with cheese.]

curlyjax - Congrats for doing that interview. Your DD's schedule sounds over-packed - good luck to you both.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Walking around a lake sounds like just the best.

Readers -
Quote:

Exercise boost mood and soothes stress. If you tend to eat in response to anxiety, frustration, and other negative emotions, exercise might provide a productive outlet.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:09 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Typing with a lighter heart today. Seniors final finished. I have a week with my juniors but that is much less taxing. I was very touched when several different kids stayed after class to thank me and say very nice things about my teaching. There were lots of hugs offered and i took them. Even some of the boys - really men in that they are 18. That was touching as well. I am practicing being gracious at these gifts of praise.

I have decided to take my remaining Juniors to McDonalds like I did the other class. We'll practice having a writing group there.

I can see the light. Weight is floating back down. Meds seem stabilizing. Summer is a week away.

I plan to try a full day of NS and see if it works.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 06-02-2018 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:08 PM   #9  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Default Success! New Summer Shoes!!

Coaches

Sold my wares at the local farmers market today. Cold start to the day! 1/2 the temps from what I got used to this week: 13C this morning vs 30C all week! We were all freezing. Its nice now though. I told my pottery making collaborator that it will be really nice when we pack up. It was. Almost too hot but no humidity.

Tomorrow I begin another farmers' market. It is a 45.min drive from me in an artistically inclined community. Or that's what it looks like. I'll find out. It is smaller than the Saturday market but I am the only one with pottery, paintings and jewelry there. As it's a small market there's a good chance I won't have competition. The market rules state one artisan for every 4 farmers.

Our booth at the Sat market has almost paid for its market fees for the year in only 3 Saturdays. Yay! Bodes well for the year. Hope the new one is as good or better. It would relieve much pressure on me if it worked out.

Foodwise only good news to report. I am back in the swing of things full speed ahead. I'm feeling good and positive. Weight was up this morning but that's fine. Blips occur. The one thing I need is to stay consistent. To stay on plan. Credit.

Extra credit for not eating anything at the market. Super extra credit actually!

And... I found shoes!! M my pottery friend told me I had to go to the ECCO shoes outlet store near me cause she got fantastic shoes for $39 dollars yesterday. I said I'd go and get this. I found shoes/sandals reg. price $130 reduced to $39 and special today and extra 40% off the lowest price so I got them for $26.45.(If you're doing the math that $ is with the tax). AWESOME. And they are exactly what I was looking for maybe even better. My old shoes were also ECCO shoes but my sister bought them for me. I wore the news ones out of the store and asked the lady to throw them away for me. Isn't that also a nod toward decluttering? One thing in. One thing out.

A good day all round.

If you are reason this I hope your day is as good today.

Last edited by onebyone; 06-04-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:51 AM   #10  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi all!

Today was an OP food day--including 3 products and a dinner out. The dinner was only mediocre, though--I almost sent it back--probably should have.

No specific exercise today--just painting the outdoor sofa and buying wood for my next project.

Exercise: +0 31/300

DH is likely to sleep in again tomorrow and the weather is supposed to be nice. I may get up and go walk around that lake again before he even gets up!

G'night all.

--Beth
Old 06-03-2018, 06:07 AM   #11  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Sunday - Rock and roll is banned (1956, Santa Cruz, California)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The peonies are in full bloom now - at least the dark red cluster. The white cluster usually follows about a week later. They made a beautiful backdrop for dinner on the patio - grilled tip steak. DW serves steak about once a year; there was a good sale at the supermarket. I ate less than half of the portion that I was served, CREDIT moi, saving the remainder for lunches or another dinner. I lingered after dinner watching the Robin's nest with four chicks now flapping their wings. Mom and pop fly constantly to the nest with worms. However much I complained about feeding my teenagers, it was nothing compared to feeding these chicks. Evening snack was half a California Navel Orange. They're still happening.

I managed to get some stuff done on my computer after consulting with my DS about the problems that I was having trying to modify a .pdf file using several of the programs that mimic Adobe Acrobat. They all seem to mostly mimic Acrobat, where 'mostly' means the job can't get completed. The DS's response was his usual, "Just pay for the real thing and get on with your life." He seems to have his priorities in place.

onebyone"AWESOME" indeed! Love your $26.45 sandals story - just the sort of bargain to make careful shopping worthwhile. Kudos for decluttering the prior pair by leaving them behind. Glad to hear that sales are robust.

maryann - Your last day with your seniors sounds moving. Congrats for accepting their compliments.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Tough to get only mediocre food when you're eating so little outside your program products. Glad that you're moving forward by buying wood for your next project.

Readers -
Quote:

Exercise burns calories. During exercise, your muscles burn calories at a faster rate than usual to power your movement. Your also continue to burn calories at a slightly faster rate after a workout as your body recovers and rebuilds your muscles.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

yesterday was exhausting- and the humidity didn't help. I forced myself to go to a graduation party for the daughter of a good friend. I dread these types of town parties where I stand around awkwardly-most people are good friends to each other but i'm just an aquaintance to them, and i also didn't want to get into the "sorry for your loss" stuff.I found my friend's mom and mom- in law and happily settled in to a good chat with them.
then I went to a church function where I am much more at home- the minister is retiring. I had a nice time chatting with folks,but got really teary at the end when folks got up and started talking about what the minister meant to them. She was so helpful with DH illness etc. She actually asked me to be a reference for a hospice chaplain job and I was touched to be asked. I am SO glad I have this church, people are so wonderful.
Anyhow, I wound up crying hard at home for awhile. It's so sad to go thru DD's graduation without my husband.
I feel much better today, although so much to get done, starting with laundry!

Bill-those bird parents do indeed have a tough job. I saw some canadian geese patiently shepherding their babies across some busy intersections and was amazed how calm they were. Also amazed no one hit them, gives you faith in people.
MAryann- so glad kids showed their appreciation; and that work will settle down a bit. I still remember some of my great hs teachers.
Onebyone-so glad the sales went well! That is interesting about the ratio at farmers markets.
Beth-so funny to talk about "painting" a sofa, i have images of paint dripping off cushions but i know that is not what you're doing
Silverbirch-ouch for hip popping out of alignment!! Great you have a trainer who can fix it.

Wave to gardenerjoy and nationalparker. thanks for support everyone!! we are such a great group!

Last edited by curlyjax; 06-03-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #13  
formerly bethfromdayton

Hi everyone!

I did get up before DH today--and he was just getting up when I returned from my walk. I saw a bunch of robins today--no red winged blackbirds this time. I'm not a birdwatcher, generally, but red winged blackbirds really caught my eye Friday!

Exercise for June: +30 60/300

Food was OP--just products. Nothing to report there.

The sofa (frame) is painted and it's on the back patio (of our very tiny back yard). I'll take a picture tomorrow--didn't think of it before it started getting dark. curlyjax: I promise I didn't paint the cushions--I looked a long time before I found what I wanted!

I didn't get my garden bench started but I was productive with stuff I need to do for the Mensa convention in July--it's coming up soon!

curlyjax: Credit for finding the people you were comfortable with at the graduation party. Sometimes a good hard cry is needed :-(. Even through this, you are showing how incredibly grateful you are.

BillBlueEyes: Grilled steak is actually one of our favorites around here :-) Credit for raising a practical son!

onebyone: Congrats on a successful market! And congrats on the shoes--big credit for not even taking the old ones home. Decluttering really is addicting once you get into the groove.

maryann: How did your full day of NS go?

silverbirch: Good luck with the knee alignment fix.

G'night all!

--Beth
Old 06-04-2018, 05:28 AM   #14  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - The Sierra Club, led by John Muir, was incorporated (1892, San Francisco)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walked a zillion steps, CREDIT moi, through the Secret Gardens tour sponsored by our library. To my delight, we were joined by DS and his SO and by our DD and the DGD. The DGD walked the tops of every walled space, threw crackers into a fountain to be retrieved by her grandmom, and generally had a swell time running in circles around a 200-year-old oak tree that was the center of an estate. There was one type of joy walking the professionally maintained garden of that estate (Zillow estimated at $8M, yearly city taxes at $41K). Like Versailles, splendid but not my league. The other type of joy was a garden described by its owner, "No expense has been incurred," where deeply loved varieties of native plants shared space with rain barrels, rows of veggies, and an electric car charging in the background. Curious visitors were offered young plants from her nursery.

The joy of lunch happened when we stopped back at our house for a break. DS accepted my offer of whatever the fridge help and, to our mutual happiness, there was the steak that I'd saved from the night before, CREDIT moi. Never was I so happy to eaten modestly to have leftovers. DS loves his steak. We all chatted, sent the DGD home for her nap, and went back out to tour gardens. There were hundreds of folks walking about on the tour. I do hope the library made a bundle.

curlyjax - Kudos for allowing yourself to mourn, however painful it is during major events such as your DD's graduation. [Our local Wild Turkeys attacked a woman in her own driveway. Apparently, the hen thought she was too close to the chicks under a nearby bush. The woman described herself as "A pro-turkey vegetarian," but was fed up with them.]

Beth (bethturnaround) – Congrats for finishing the sofa job. My take is that July is way off in the future - not until sometime this summer, LOL.

Readers -
Quote:

Exercise preserves muscle tissue. Usually, as you lose weight, you lose a combination of fat and muscle tissue. But exercise helps to preserve muscle tissue, so most of your weight loss comes from fat tissue.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Busiest week of the year begins today. My food plan has suffered with the physical issues, traveling and stress. I don't know what the solution is but it is not something I'll be figuring out this week. This week I will focus sitting while i eat. Eating one protein smoothie a day. Eating one salad a day and no sweets at work.

Sorry the check in is quick but I am late correcting senior papers.
Closed Thread