Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 05:21 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – April 2018 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 04-01-2018, 05:22 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Easter Sunday - Steve Wozniak and Steve Jobs found Apple Computer (1976,Cupertino CA)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – The major accomplishment of the day was to print a single page that DW wanted on my HP printer. This is a new low in my life. I ordered a new print head from eBay that will arrive in about a week. I will slowly invest more money into this thing until I give up. (Good grief! I just looked up the price of laser printers - they're as cheap as ink jet printers. Gotta think this one through.)

Eating was only OK - snacking got to me as I tried to get some work done that I've been putting off. I found the semi-sweet chocolate bits that are hidden in the pantry. Even chocolate doesn't help with writing, LOL. I did choose to have a HUGE California Navel Orange for my evening snack, CREDIT moi. I had to avoid the living room where DW was watching DVDs of the series, The Crown. I wish Queen Elizabeth II well, but don't care to know the details. When I peeked for a few minutes, they were not portraying the royals as warm and fuzzy folks. I'll just live with my own fantasies, thank you very much.

onebyone – Kudos for making that decluttering happen. "Kitchen is closed" is such a definitive thought.

maryann - Hope your rain smooths out a bit - all at once in a downpour isn't helpful.

nationalparker – Thanks for the reminder, "I know I am more than my weight and body shape." Keep the faith - your body will, eventually, have to acknowledge your eating plan and let the excess weight go.

curlyjax - What a breakfast: "Ezekiel bread, then put on a bit of avocado, cheese and tomatoes, and broil that." Yep, getting back on the wagon is the important step.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Super Kudos for doing seder with constraint. It's a big deal - "I ate so much less than I normally would have."

Readers -
Quote:
day 7 Arrange Your Environment

Changes at Home
Follow these suggestions for reducing food triggers in your kitchen:

Remove your personal temptations. Open all of the food cabinets and, if at all possible, give away or throw out the foods that could tempt you to go off your diet plan. Don't worry about throwing out food. It's going to get wasted one way or another - either in the trash can or in your body. Or, second best, move these foods to the back of the shelf or to a high shelf. Do the same in your refrigerator and freezer.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 91.
Old 04-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/181/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches.

Good to hear from Beth about her decisions on Passover. I believe we have to live life on life's terms. I can imagine the food is sacred to the occasion of Passover. It is different with Easter. The food has more become a product of Madison Avenue and chemical companies.True, BIL is making a ham and there will be hard boiled eggs but the only bread I will be required to eat is the communal bread at mass. I have decided to pack all my food for the day in a pretty Vera Bradley spring lunch bag. If it is in the bag I can eat it. When it is gone, its gone.

Yeah for changing my ticker at the beginning of the month. Two pounds down. I lose weight so slowly, I will be happy to change the ticker down again next month two pounds. I made my final trip to the consignment stores. I gave myself a window of lent through Easter to refurbish my wardrobe. I now intend to take another year off clothes shopping. There are plenty of items that will fit again if I lose a little more weight and items that fit perfectly now.I tend to wear less fitted items. Being a teacher, I am not expected my work clothes expectations are less formal.

I have some sadness today as it is the first year I did not make an Easter basket for my son. For ten years, I was Easter Queen with a huge party. I think at the height of my reign, I made 24 baskets. But now I feel I need to do things differently - with work, with church, with friends, with family. Maybe it is depression or just a change in season but I'm not buying candy, etc.. . I talked to DS and he agreed. He hates change but realizes with growing up, you lose some things and gain others - like driving, independence, etc. . . Anyway, I will be with my family and that is the important thing.

Congrats, onebyone for starting the clean. That is fantastic. Super Credit.

BBE: I am afraid that saving an old printer is only buying a little time. Soon, you can't find the right parts, you'll need the wireless access, etc. . . I am lucky to have had this computer for 7 years. Mac doesn't make it anymore. I brought it in for a tuneup and they called it a dinosaur. When it goes, it will go.

Last edited by maryann; 04-01-2018 at 10:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:27 PM   #4  

Midpoint check in. I have hit the products mark. Then Mom came with treats. I have had some candy and a cookie. I can be done and wake up not feeling sick. That is what I’m going to do.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:37 PM   #5  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

After yesterday's off-plan seder, I am totally back on plan today--5 products and a bunch of water. Credit!

The only walking today was at Harbor Freight and Home Depot. DH and I really know how to spend a romantic afternoon together! (Confession: it was my idea) We bought two small clamps and a tool bag for DH to keep at my aunt's house--we're slowly bringing a collection of backup tools to live there since DH is her designated handyman)

maryann: You are right that certain foods are sacred to the Passover service--the matzoh, the bitter herb (homegrown baby radishes and horseradish this year), the sweet herb in salt (parsley generally), the egg, and the charoset. I can't say the dinner was :-) but somehow I couldn't separate the idea of the service and the dinner in my mind. Credit for being done with the sweets before overdoing it. That's hard.

BillBlueEyes: I think it might be time to throw in the towel on the printer! Credit for the orange--that sounds great!

--Beth
Old 04-02-2018, 12:04 AM   #6  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Height: 5' 6"

Default Energizer Easter Bunny keeps on going!

Coaches! Reporting in. This will be short!

Today I cleared all the clothes from in front of my dresser and folded up what I am keeping and I washed my donation ones. I decided to be rid of anything that brings me down. I debated getting rid of old t-shirts but I won't because they can be workshirts.*1 garbage bag worth of credits!

A*, DH's mom, gave me a 1960's round plastic lazy Susan with pie shaped containers on it so I took my tea collection and got rid of the tea boxes and now I have a neat solution for all my tea. It cleared up a bit more counter space and reduced visual clutter=my primary goal.*credit*

Easter dinner buffet was good & I stayed on plan
and ate no sugar. *credit.

She sent us home with choc bunnies and eggs and I gave all mine to DH. Feeling really good about all that!
Goodnight!
Old 04-02-2018, 03:51 AM   #7  
in development

Default Monday

Easter Monday and a public holiday here. Steady rain outside. It's milder though, thank goodness.

I spent yesterday recovering from last week: gentle moving around, a couple of trips ferrying the DB into the mountains and back again, taking pelargonium (geranium) cuttings and a fair bit of eating to get the balance right in the body. And reading my story book. So all is starting to stabilise in my world.

onebyone, visual clutter gets in the way. Great work on clearing things!

beth, thanks for letting us hear your thinking about the seder. Being explicit about stepping aside from the plan is so important, I think, and helps in stepping back to it. I'm going to remember and learn from your textbook example. Thanks.

maryann, 'I have decided to pack all my food for the day in a pretty Vera Bradley spring lunch bag'. This is very helpful. I often pack my food and having it in a very nice bag helps. I'm going to look out mine today and also consider buying one that's a better shape. Thank you.

Bill, could be time for a new printer, you know. I bit the bullet a little while ago because the third-hand one we had stopped working and a printer was needed for homework. They aren't extremely expensive any more.

Monday greetings to everyone! Have a straightforward day without too many challenges. (That's what I'm hoping for.)
Old 04-02-2018, 04:45 AM   #8  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Monday - Author Hans Christian Andersen born (1805, Odense, Denmark)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Managed to avoid the candy at the Easter Egg Hunt prepared for the kids of the community, CREDIT moi. Note that I'm taking credit because I didn't take candy from little kids, LOL. Whatever it takes. The ratio of eggs (plastic break-open eggs with prizes inside) to kids was much too large; each kid collected an overflowing basket. One vegan mother laughed that her daughter loved opening the eggs, but the chocolates inside would have to go to the kids next door since it wasn't vegan. I'm so old that I remember looking for dyed, hard-boiled eggs. And I also remember finding overlooked eggs a week later being enjoyed by the ants. I got sent home with four hard-boiled eggs that will turn into deviled eggs - a favorite.

Printer saga continues: Since my printer refused to print the single page that I needed to take with me in the morning, I tried the unlikely idea of attempting to open a Microsoft Word document from an email to my smartphone. To my amazement, it quickly opened - all on the small screen. Since I could change font size, I could read it in chunks. Problem solved; I hadn't needed the printed sheet after all. CREDIT moi for finding a silver lining. Who says that males are stubborn?

onebyone – Super Kudos for giving up your chocolates to your DH. LOL at "1 garbage bag worth of credits!" I side with the notion that one cannot own too many t-shirts.

silverbirch – Cheering that "all is starting to stabilise in my world" - sounds good. Thanks for the simple notion, "Have a straightforward day without too many challenges."

maryann - Kudos for walking with your DS through the "lose some things and gain others" aspect of growing up. Interesting that this process continues as we grow older and have to lose some of our possessions and gain the simplicity of no longer needing them. [Congrats for continuing to use a "dinosaur" laptop. May it last another seven years.]

Beth (bethturnaround) – Kudos for "totally back on plan today." Jealous of your romantic afternoon at Harbor Freight and Home Depot.

Readers -
Quote:

Changes at Home
Follow these suggestions for reducing food triggers in your kitchen: . . .

Rearrange your dishes. Some people overeat when they use large dishes and utensils. Researchers at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign found that partygoers who used large spoons or large bowls scooped considerably more ice cream than those who used smaller utensils and bowls. If you think it would help, reorganize your plates and bowls so that the smallest ones are easiest to reach.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:46 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Dear coaches- made it thru another holiday, phew. Actually Easter isn't a big thing to me, but it was still a little sad. In the past DH and I would plan and make a nice dinner. So in his honor I brought out the silver and made turkey cutlets and various roasted veggies. I ate WAYYYY too much leftover candy (my kids still get the baskets etc) but credit for finally tossing the rest out yesterday. I have one chocolate bunny left for myself and will see how long i can go without eating it.
Beth- I have such nice memories of Passover when I was young, we would go to a friends house. Our church has done this occasionally- maybe next year a bunch of us could pull it off.
Silverbirch- glad things are stabilizing. I would love to have a holiday today. Maybe a fasting one would be good
Maryann-its hard to let childhood things go for sure. You're lucky not to have that candy around!
Bill- I was sorting out DH's things and came across reams of green and white lined computer printout, from the 80s I guess or 1990. Quite the blast from the past!
Nationalparker: hope Easter went okay.
Onebyone-great job on no sugar and decluttering!!

Last edited by curlyjax; 04-02-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:29 AM   #10  

Phone check in.

Yesterday got worse not better. Credit for eating the NS meal I bought. Doubling the veggies.

Wayyy too much sugar. Ouch.

So here is how I’ll know if this food plan is for me. Can I hop back on and stay on?

Blue again in a bad way. Dr is mulling over the change. My plan is do small things all day. I will start with replacing passpor list in January evacuation.

Wave to all.

Last edited by maryann; 04-02-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:39 PM   #11  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

An on plan food day. I was going to go to the library and then to the gym and walk, and DH said, "why not walk to the library" (he was teasing). I checked--it's 1.2 miles to the library. So I walked there and back for my exercise for today.

(I now understand that I need to use the "Music and Ebooks" link instead of the "Catalog" link to check out e-books, even though the e-books are accessible through the Catalog link, and allow you to check them out, but when you do that, you can't download and read them.)

Tomorrow I see my primary care doctor--and she will be thrilled with the weight loss (since I haven't seen her since I started my program). She will also be thrilled with my blood work--I just saw the lab results and all my numbers are way improved.

maryann: There isn't a program in the world people don't make mistakes on. I hope today went well--getting back up is the important part.

curlyjax: I'd guess a lot of rituals will be sad for a while--that's hard. Credit for throwing out the extra candy--waste or waist.

BillBlueEyes: Deviled eggs are on my "looking forward to" list. Interesting that my "looking forward to" list has items like eggs and green salad and tiny tomatoes and hamburger patties. I follow your printer saga with anticipation!

silverbirch: I hope you had a great holiday, even with the rain. Sometimes a quiet day is just what is needed.

--Beth
Old 04-02-2018, 11:24 PM   #12  
persist

S/C/G: 316/307/299

Default Quickie

Coaches

Before bed credit

Stayed op

Completed painting and submitted to juried show

Bagged up more donations. I now have two bags full. Can I make it 3 bags full I wonder...

Cleared away dishes

Weighed in at 262.4

Checked in with my fabulous group here.

Bye
Old 04-03-2018, 03:34 AM   #13  
in development

Nice day yesterday with plants, book, SO made the tea, couple of DB and friend taxiing jobs (there are some lovely benefits to this gig - company, see the countryside, learn things). Consequence was that I didn't eat too much.

Plan to do a full body workout this morning.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:19 AM   #14  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Tuesday - The Pony Express connects St. Joseph, MO and Sacramento, CA (1860)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Evening was spent avoiding the living room as DW continues to indulge in the series The Crown. Our DVD player is one of those super cheap Black Friday specials picked up a few years ago as a temporary until we figured out what we wanted. It, however, works well enough for its limited use in our house. So we might just live the rest of our lives with a minimalist player - one that doesn't have a display showing the remaining minutes, for example.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. I was tempted to have an additional California Navel Orange for evening snack since an orange is good for me, but I didn't. "It also contains calories," DW offered, "all as sugar." She's on a kick that she needs to drop two 50 calories snacks to maintain her weight. So she's sensitive to small chunks of calories that drift into our lives. I don't think she's changed the sizes of the clothes she buys since high school. (Great news: house power went off as I was typing. My laptop's battery kept everything in order until it returned. Yay for technology that works.)

onebyone – Congrats on getting that painting submitted to the juried show.

silverbirch – Kudos for finding benefits to your taxiing job. My memory is that my kids with friends would talk as if I wasn't in the car - learning a bunch that way.

maryann - Doing small things sounds like a good strategy.

curlyjax - Yay for using the good silver to make an occasion special. [That old lined computer paper was a favorite of every school my kids attended.]

Beth (bethturnaround) – Walking to the library is just the best. Enjoy surprising your primary care doctor today.

Readers -
Quote:

Changes at Home
Follow these suggestions for reducing food triggers in your kitchen: . . .

Consider others. If you share your kitchen with others, you need to enlist their cooperation to keep tempting foods out of your sight. Although everyone in your household would probably benefit from junking the junk food, it might not be realistic for you to insist they do so.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:40 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

i just could not make myself go to water aerobics last night even though its so much fun. it was cold again and i was sooo tired, and my back was hurting a little. So i stayed in bed and starting watching the Netflix show Stranger Things, avoiding taxes and eating a EAster candy (I saved out a bunny). Today my back is killing me, probably because i was propped up in bed for 3 hours, and feeling regret. Ah well. Some days i am overwhelmed with so much to do, i just avoid it.
Credit for making a healthy dinner with more turkey cutlet, onions, peppers and tomatoes. And smooshed garlic from a tube which is my new best friend.
Onwards!
Closed Thread