Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2001, 01:31 PM   #1  

Thumbs down

Hello again! Happy Friday to all! I hope that Sara is feeling better from that strep! OUCH!
Jen, congrats on your bloodwork! I'm sure that it is a relief to have it behind you.

As for me, I made an appointment for the Level 2 ultrasound and they made it for 18 weeks instead of 20. I am debating on whether or not I want to go ahead and see the genetic counsellor prior to the ultrasound. I mean, I AM ADVANCED MATERNAL AGE, LOL! I swear technology is a beautiful thing, but they make pregnancy something to fear more than to enjoy.

My appointment is for April 27th. I am looking forward to having that done, and I am hoping to take my boys with me to see.

Well, I just got off of the phone with DH and he wants to hear the genetic counsellors POV, and be educated...sigh. I guess he has a point, but I told him that I would not have an amnio anyway. Since it is his child too, I told him that I was fine with it if it something that is important to him. Men get
such little input in this whole thing, don't they? Too bad he wont let me use my baby girl name (Gabriela). Oh well, there are other wonderful names that we can still fight over. LOL Just kidding. My DH is the greatest person that I have ever known and we really love each other dearly.

Well girls, have a great weekend! Enjoy the warmer weather, if you can!

Scully and Bellybean
Old 04-06-2001, 10:20 PM   #2  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

You are right Scully that sometimes all this testing makes the whole thing rather scary. I was so anxious waiting for that bloodwork and estatic that it was negative. The thing with this issue, is that if the tests come up positive for some abnormality then what? It is just to prepare for the worst when the baby is born or are people willing to terminate the pregnancy? All that time I was waiting for the results I was almost sorry that I had the bloodwork at all because if it was positive it would mean making some really tough decisions. Do I carry on with further testing, and then what if that is positive? I almost think it is better not to know. I don't know, it is such a difficult issue. I pray that none of us have to face it and we all have beautiful healthy happy babies.

Does anyone else watch The Baby Story on TLC? I watched a neat one today where the mother gave birth in a tub of water. The baby came out purple and didn't start crying for a few seconds. It was a bit scary for those few seconds, I'm yelling at the tv, start crying, start crying!! I always end up crying at the end when the baby is born.

Take care all. See you later.
Old 04-10-2001, 11:25 AM   #3  

Hello friends!
I am feeling much better now! The morning sickness still comes and goes but thankfully I am fully recovered from the strep, with no worries about the baby.

I am rather exhausted from being sick for so long -- I think it's really taken it's toll on my body. I am trying hard to get rest and not over-do. I haven't done much exercise lately and am anxious to get back into that.

Anyone have special plans for Easter? I just love this time of year. I hope the weather is nice.

Blessings,
Sara
Old 04-12-2001, 04:15 PM   #4  

Hello, to all! This is the first chance I have had in a few days to catch up. We are having work done to fix our flooding basement and I am now packing for a trip. We are just going away for a few days. One last trip before I have to start packing baby stuff too.

I was glad to read that everyone is doing okay. My little girl seems to be very active today. But yesterday she was rather quiet. I guess babies are just like us, more energy some days than others.

Be well, everyone. have a happy and blessed holiday.
Old 04-17-2001, 01:28 PM   #5  
Jen

wow, it has been really quiet in here lately. I guess everyone is busy with the warmer weather finally showing up. for me I have just been wiped out lately. I just have the energy to do the basics and otherwise I am just trying to rest and take it easy.

Supposed to go for an ultrasound tomorrow but they have changed the appt. I am kind of disappointed, I really wanted to see the baby but I guess it will have to wait a bit. I'm still waiting for them to phone back with a new date.

I ended up working all weekend and I have this week off, I really need the rest too.

Hope everyone is doing well. Take care.
Old 04-21-2001, 11:24 AM   #6  
Jen

Hallooooooooo in here! It is so quiet it is echoing!!!

Sara, Scully, Bensmom....where are you?????

Hope everyone is okay and feeling good.
Old 04-21-2001, 12:41 PM   #7  

Spring recess can really tire me out. We went away for a few days (one last trip before baby with only my DS and DH). Then, I had to catch up on all of the laundry that accumulates. And yesterday we did a day trip with the cub scouts. Now I have a horrible head cold that has exhausted me. I can't wait for Monday when school starts again.

I see that things have been very quiet here. I hope everyone is okay and just enjoying the Spring.
Old 04-22-2001, 04:40 PM   #8  
Pending Email Confirmation

Hi, i haven't been here for ages, stopped worrying about my weight when I found out I was pregnant 5 months ago!
I wondered if you would mind my joining you...to be honest i've been so morning sick I'm only a few pounds heavier than when I started, but I'm dreading getting on the scales once the baby arrives at the beginning of August and I'm fighting the urge to get the energy i seem to be lacking with chocolate!
I'm 35 (for a month more anyway), and this will be my second child, I have a 3.5 year old son. I had severe post natal depression when he was born and went from 'I wish I could lose a few pounds' to 'OH MY GOD!!' during the first few years after he was born. I lost about 14lbs here but that still leaves me with maybe 55 or so to go...
I'm longing for things to be different this time, terrified of the depression coming back, and more weight going on. I could do with some motivated people to help keep me on track, for now and after.
I'm trying to swim twice a week, which helps, and to eat plenty of fruit and veggies but this time round I really crave those sweeties! With my son i was drinking vinegar so i'm hoping this means it's a girl, although I'm not too bothered either way.
What else can I tell you...I live in England,by the sea I'm a painter and a reflexologist, one husband, one son, one cat, one rabbit.
Would love to hear from you and hope I can fit in here.
Good luck to you all with the babies,
shei
Old 04-22-2001, 09:09 PM   #9  

Hi Jen, I'm here--Hi Sara and Bens Mom!!! How is everyone?

Welcome Geneve!

Congrats on your pregnancy, and also being another senior member here! LOL I am also 35, and will be 35 when I deliver my 3rd and grand finale! There is another wonderful website you might want to try if you like to post more often. Try this link http://www.thelaboroflove.com/

Try not to focus on your weight right now as mucha s continuing with healthy eating habits, and trying to exercise to keep your current fitness level. Water exercise is wonderful! I am currently doing Kathy Smith Pregnancy aerobics, Yoga Mama, and walking as well as water aerobics (but i haven't been in the pool for a while now) I miss it though! I know that it is easy to say that you should not focus on your weight too much, when prior to this, everyone here tended to focus on a weight program. I didn't have morning sickness like some of you girls here (Sara B was/ is one who had it real bad too! And she was losing a lot of weight!!!) We just have to try to remember that the goal of losing weight is postponed, but the goal of good eating habits remains as a lifetime goal! We cannot live without it, as In my opinion, I think that if someone is overweight, that there are some who do eat well and consistantly exercise, but are heavier than "normal". There are some of us who are better nutritional eaters, who are overweight, but considered healthier than many "thin" people. Now I believe that it is to our benefit to be as close to "normal" weight as possible. Take me for example, I have always struggled with my weight and I believe that I will never be able to maintain a weight of say 130 - 140 pounds. I am 5'4" and i consider myself to be medium to large structured. I have a lot of muscle compared to many women my size. If you could see my calves, you'd know what I mean! My goal is more toward a range of 145-150. It is still considered "high" according to my BMI, but I am also aware of the fact that I have never really maintained a low weight for very long. I was once 121, when in my 20's and I struggled with bulemia and anorexia as a result of it. It was short lived, thankfully. So I have since learned to accept my body for all of it's wonderful and many positive qualities. No, I am not ever going to be model thin, but who cares? And now that I am pregnant, I am relishing my belly growing. I refuse to let society dictate to me, what is expected at a time in my life when I am supposed to be overjoyed about my growing body! And I am going to brag, YES BRAG about loving to be gaining "some" weight. I jsut need to try to remained focused on exercising and good eating habits, so that once the baby is born, my habits will really be quite similar and I won't have as hard of a time as adjusting. Plus, I plan on returning to weight watchers, as I will be breastfeeding and that will give me some points to work with.

As for postnatal depression, see how things are going after the baby is born. Perhaps this pregnancy will be different from your last. If it should get really bad again, antidepressants work really well, and you and your doctor could talk about them in the shortterm.

Remember to take care of yourself, and be gentle with how you speak to yourself in your mind. We are not purposefully trying to gain weight, but our body needs to nurture the growing baby inside. There is a difference.

My only updates to my life are as follows:
*My son Liam turned 7 on April 20th, and we had a SPLENDED day/weekend!

*My son Lucas is going to be in his first Spring Concert (He is learning to play the French Horn) I am so delighted! Neither DH or myself played music, so we are living vicariously through him! The school he is at really has some wonderful opportunities!

*Liam is currently in T-ball, and plays on the Cubs! WE won our first game of the season! Who hoo!

*I am currently in my 17th week of pregnancy and LOVING every single minute~!

*I go in for my ultrasuond on Friday (LEVEL 2) and we hope to find out the sex!

I guess that's it for now. Trying to prepare myself for the upcoming week. I've been running around like mad, trying to get ready for Liam's party and I have been exhausted. I can't seem to get to bed before midnight many nights! So, hopefully this week will be less hectic and I will not be running around as much!

I hope that everyone is happy and healthy and is loving this warm, rainy Spring weather! I know I am! My pregnancy seems to be really flying by now, and I am in love with my family so much! We are truly blessed indeed!

blessings to you all,
Scully and Bellybean
Old 04-23-2001, 06:16 AM   #10  

Hi Scully, thanks for getting back to me, also Jen, Bensmum and Sara..is that everyone...I have a bad case of pregnant brain shrinking and struggle to remember my own name some days!
I'm off for my third scan on Monday and I too want to find out the sex of the baby. We knew with my son and it made things so much easier, also helped me to bond I think...I could somehow 'see' him better knowing the sex!
For once the sun is shining here...we had the most awful winter, storms and floods and it really is novel to be able to get out. Also first day of term which means Ted is out for the morning and I can get on with some painting. It's very hard trying to explain the differences between oil paint and kids paint to a three year old so I don't work when he is around!
As for the post natal depression coming back, well, i know I am quite likely to get it again according to the stats, but at least this time I will be prepared...the fear of it is making me very careful to eat a high vitamin, healthy diet (as much as I can bear to) my husband reckons I'll give birth to a large fruit salad! I also have a lovely shrink who helped sort me out last time...in spite of what they say the pills aren't the be all and end all for PND sufferers, it took me years to get better.So keep the vitamins going in ladies...and make sure you take extra good care of yourselves once the baby is born...it's an amazing thing we are doing, and hard work so get in training for it while you can!
I'm trying to find a maternity yoga class near here, but it's difficult...most of the population is over 70!!!
It's odd I'm so different second time round, made sure I've had a fantastic holiday, going out with my friends and making sure I have plenty of happy memories to keep me occupied while I try to get the nipper to sleep at 3 in the morning!
Scully..well done for letting your son play the French Horn. DH plays the cornet/trumpet and I'm so jealous but his mother says he drove her mad for years learning it! It's great at Christmas...I'm supposed to be learning the piano (very shallow learning curve there) and managed a few carols with him...made me feel very traditional.
Anyway, here I am nattering on again when I have work to do so I'll finish for now and be back later.
Anyone have any good baby names? We are struggling to agree on anything!!!DH likes old fashioned very English names (Stanley/Edith are his faves) and I just want something which sounds loving even when you yell it!
Shei
Old 04-23-2001, 12:19 PM   #11  

Quick note to Sara B...
Pop in over at the Countdown to 175, as they miss you and are looking for an update!

Best Wishes on your ultrasound! Mine is Friday and I am so psyched! Let us know how it goes, okay? Are you going to try to find out the sex? We are...

Everyone, hope you are having a fabulous day! I have to get off of this computer and do my pregnancy aerobic tape now! Get outside and walk if you can! IT"S GORGEOUS!!!

hugs,
Scully and Bellybean
Old 04-23-2001, 05:22 PM   #12  

Welcome, Geneve! It is great to have a new mom join us. I, too, was very concerned about the weight gain during this pregnancy. But my DH made me promise not to agonize over it. He insisted that since I was able to lose 80 pounds last year that I will be able to lose any amount I choose to again. I know he was concerned about the amount of chemicals that are in the food I eat (non-fat yogurt, WW food, etc). As Scully said, healthy eating habits are key, not the number of calories or grams of fat. But I also like an occasional treat, too.

BTW, I guess I am also a "senior member" here. I will be 36 on the 24th of this month.

Baseball season is upon us. I am now at the ball field twice a week for games and at a park at least once a week for practice. But my son loves the sport so I don't mind at all. Last week I froze watching him play and now tomorrow I will be wearing shorts to his game.

I have a horrible head cold that has moved into my chest. I am hoping it will go away in a couple of days. The first day I thought it was Spring allergies since everything is growing. But this is definitely a cold. I tried to exercise this morning but it just exhausted me. So, I will try again tomorrow.

Be well, everyone. Enjoy the Spring days!
Old 04-23-2001, 05:33 PM   #13  

Bensmon...80lbs! WOW! That's so amazing...gives me hope for the future. Pleased the sun is out in NY...we were there at the end of February and the snow was something else.
We had sunshine today, spent the afternoon on the beach...Ted went to bed all sandy and happy! Just how I like to see him. What a good day..........
Old 04-24-2001, 06:14 PM   #14  
Jen

Geneve, what a beautiful name! I suggested it to my hubby as a baby girl's name but he veto'd it. I think he wants something simple.

I too am concerned about weight gain during pregnancy. I know I am not eating as much veggies and fruit as I should but I am trying and also I am taking vitamin supplements. I have gained 7 lbs so far and this is now my 21st week. I'm hoping not to gain more than another 10 lbs but if I do I do. I'd rather have a good sized healthy baby than worry about weight gain.

Speaking about names I have a penpal in England named Helen. I like that name, it is simple and old fashioned but still sweet. Needless to say the hubby doesn't like any of my suggestions, so far for girl's names we are kind of going with Michelle right now. For a boy's name we have already picked out Drake Arthur.

I have a dr's appt tomorrow and my ultrasound is Thurs. I'm hoping they can tell the sex as I'd like to get this name thing sorted out. If it is a boy we are all set, if not we have to keep looking.

I wish I had the motivation that you have to exercise Scully! I was doing well for the first few weeks then pooped out for a couple of weeks, then did another week of biking. I think that was a month or so ago and I haven't been back since. There are a lot of reasons. I'd say fatigue is the biggest problem, also I have so much to do at home. I am trying to finish up some renovations that have been going on forever and not getting much help from the hubby. I think to myself, okay I"ll do this and this and then I'll hop on the bike. Well this and this don't get done because they end up being jobs I can't finish on my own or I just don't have the energy to tackle them, then I never get to the bike. Oh well....

Scully, I have a question for you. You watch the X-files? I don't watch the show myself but I see so many commercials that sometimes I think I know what is going on. Can someone tell me how Mulder was dead and now he's not? I'm so confused!

Well I hope everyone is doing okay. It is nice to see some posts again. Take care all.
Old 04-25-2001, 10:59 AM   #15  

Hello everyone! Happy Wednesday! Today is Sara B's ultrasound! Sara, where are you? You are MIA at both boards!! We miss you!

Geneve: I tend to like ethnic names. I am Spanish and Irish, my DH is German, Swedish and Irish. He likes traditional American girl names, for example, "Jane". I like some traditional names but I'm not into the "popular" names either. It's tough to decide. Our sons are Lucas and Liam which is Spanish and Irish. Neither name is very trendy, although Liam is becoming more popular in my area, (after he was born). I like Gabriela and Gabrielle for a girl, but DH doesn't. I have a feeling that it is going to be harder to agree on an name this time.

Jen: As for the exercise motivation. You have to eat breakfast and then make it a priority to exercise about an hour afterwards. Try to do it first, before your other obligations of the day. It is tough when you feel like there is so much to do, and knowing that you may be fatigued later in the day. Try to exercise on a snack, like a granola bar and a glass of milk. The protein and carbohydrates will keep your blood sugar stabilized until lunch. Exercise, then "stuff" to follow. If I do it any other way, I won't exercise. Remember that it is a goal to exercise for enjoyment and not competition. You are striving to keep your "present" level of fitness. This way, when you exercise, you are really doing it with much less exertion than you would be when you are trying to burn body fat. Right now, you are trying to keep your heart fit and your muscles strong!
I highly recommend Kathy Smith's Pregnancy aerobics. You can buy is through Amazon.com for really cheap. It's a thorough workout, gentle but challenging at the same time, and also fun to do.
OF COURSE I WATCH THE X-Files, silly!
Mulder was dead and actually buried in the grave for 3 months. He was infected with an alien virus that was supposed to mutate him into an alien. They discovered this when another guy that was dead, suddenly was found "drowned" in the ocean, and was "living". THey took him to the hospital and he was supposed to die, except, he transformed into a fully recovered "new self", but he was actually a breed of alien that was supposed to take over the earth. Okay, so they dig up Mulder and discover that he is actually "still alive". They had to figure out that it had to do with a virus and kill the virus before it mutated him. Which they did. LOL
So, he's on the road to recovery. BTW, The character "Scully" is pregnant on the show, which I find completely amusing and totally cool. ( I mean, I identified with her character enough to make it my own screen name. I really like the character's personality.) I don't look anything like Gillian Andersen though. I have black hair, fair skin, and green eyes.
Good luck at your Dr's appointment! Let us know how it goes!

Have a great day everyone!

Scully and Bellybean
Closed Thread