Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-20-2018, 05:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 10st 3lb

Height: 5ft5

Exclamation Newbie over here!

Hi everyone!

I'm completely new to this, but I stumbled across this website and thought it would be great to speak with people who are in the same position as me - stuck in a weight loss plateau!

I am starting a smoothie diet this week, so smoothie for breakfast, dinner and then a healthy tea, so I'm wondering if anyone here has done or is doing this?
rebeccalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:56 AM   #2  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!

I have done something like this. I'd have a protein smoothie for breakfast and lunch and then a veggie juice for dinner.
It....was....HARD! Even though I had 2 protein smoothies, I was still always starving. They were big too, not wimpy little drinks in a glass. I would be stuffed when I finished them, but they wouldn't last. I did drop weight though. I'd have my drinks during the weekday and vegetarian meals during the weekend. I was doing it to drop pregnancy weight and went from 280 down to 225 when my baby turned one.
And then I just couldn't do it anymore. I was always starving and all I ever thought about was food and I was suffering from depression at the same time. I just wasn't feeling good anymore and the thought that I had to be even more extream to lose 50 more pounds made it not worth it. I would rather be fat than to live like that the rest of my life.
Sure enough, once I stopped drinking my food I gained it all back (I was even a vegetarian for the most part.) plus more.
Now I returned at 298, terrified at seeing 300 on that scale.

I'm doing a different diet now, and am much happier for it. Kudos to you for smoothies though, they are a great way to detox and jumpstart weight loss (Just watch the sugar) But you may want to think about what you want to do after you're done drinking. I'm sure you don't want to do this for the rest of your life so you have to be careful when you transition out of it.

Good luck! There are lots of threads here and you'll fit right in!
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:31 PM   #3  
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalouise View Post
I am starting a smoothie diet this week, so smoothie for breakfast, dinner and then a healthy tea, so I'm wondering if anyone here has done or is doing this?
What do you make the smoothies out of?
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:09 AM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakai View Post
Welcome!

I have done something like this. I'd have a protein smoothie for breakfast and lunch and then a veggie juice for dinner.

Hi Sakai!

Thanks for your message. It is very hard and I do sometimes wonder why I'm putting myself through it! I have dropped my morning smoothie and just having cereal flakes now, along with a smoothie for lunch and then a healthy dinner.

I didn't realise the amount of sugar in pure apple juice (which is what I use) until I began recording it in My Fitness Pal!

Hopefully I'll start seeing some results soon, but I have become VERY deflated as I've been trying to lose weight since January and the most I've managed is 1lb! Whereas last year when I was larger, I was losing around 2-3lb per week, so I'm just trying to stick to it!
Old 04-24-2018, 05:10 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
What do you make the smoothies out of?
Hi, I use Asda's frozen mango and pineapple chunks, and blend them together with some pure apple juice.
Old 04-24-2018, 11:10 PM   #6  
mjf

Quote:
Hi, I use Asda's frozen mango and pineapple chunks, and blend them together with some pure apple juice.
Was that your entire diet, or did you eat other things too? A fruit-only diet is very unhealthy. You need protein and fat in your diet, and you should be eating a lot more. The 2 smoothies are probably about 600 calories. You should be eating at least twice as much.

Some good sources of protein: Eggs, fish, chicken, quinoa, beans, nuts, some vegetables (e.g. peas, broccoli, asparagus)
Some good sources of fat: Fish, avocado, olive oil, nuts, chia seeds
You should also be eating a lot of vegetables.

What kind of cereal flakes are you eating (so I can check the nutrition info)? Some are healthier than others. What kind of healthy dinner are you eating?

Juice isn't very healthy, because it (usually) doesn't have fiber. It's better to eat fresh fruit.

Last edited by mjf; 04-24-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Was that your entire diet, or did you eat other things too?
I ate a protein bar mid-afternoon and then my tea.

But I've decided to change things around now and introduce more food as I think my body was holding onto fat as I was eating very far between. I have begun eating more regular with fruit and veg etc and I have already dropped 3lb this week!
Old 04-27-2018, 05:43 PM   #8  
mjf

Quote:
I ate a protein bar mid-afternoon and then my tea.

But I've decided to change things around now and introduce more food as I think my body was holding onto fat as I was eating very far between. I have begun eating more regular with fruit and veg etc and I have already dropped 3lb this week!
Be sure to check the nutrition info of the protein bars. Most protein bars have added sugar and other unhealthy ingredients.

Even with the protein bars, fruits, and vegetables, you're probably not eating enough fat.

Last edited by mjf; 04-27-2018 at 05:46 PM.