Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 06:03 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2018 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, Diet Coach group, Diet Buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you've landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:
Old 03-01-2018, 06:08 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Peace Corps established (John F. Kennedy, 1961)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Exercise was chasing the 29-month-old DGD, CREDIT moi. She blew my mind in a discussion when I got her up from her nap. DW had placed a thin blanket over the crib to make a 'tent' - much to the kid's delight. When I went in, she was poking out of one corner, being careful to keep the tent intact. We chatted after I took her out about what was to happen next. She came up with, "If I were to get back in the tent . . ." - my jaw dropped. How does one pick up that level of English? How long would I have to study Spanish before I could create that sentence? Fortunately, her climbing skills aren't so outrageous. She still hasn't realized that she's tall enough to easily throw herself over the edge of the portable Pack-and-Play crib device where she naps.

Eating was OK - CREDIT moi. DW served a chunk of grilled Cod with a monster heap of Curly Kale - "Just eat it; it's good for you." Off plan foods are scarce around here so I just plug away.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – A light eating day" is always a good thing.

silverbirch – Ouch for having to taxi folks when the snows are howling. Your weather seems as inconsistent as ours.

maryann - Congrats on "Two solid pounds down."

nationalparker – LOL at your "bird and bunny sanctuary" - Cottonwoods make such good material for nests - particularly Baltimore Orioles. Hope that whole body soreness eases.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Congrats for cleaning up your ebook library. My dream is to have a file of all the books in the house. If you ever hear of an App that can scan ISBN's to create such a file, let me know.

Mary (mam1958) - You should be safe from the rising oceans out near Springfield. By-the-by, to purchase my Nissan Leaf electric car, I had to go all the way out to South Hadley where I'd never been before. They had more choices because "it's an area where folks think green." Kudos for "11,460 steps" - that's moving.

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach

Here's what your diet coach can do: . . .

Help you take a more useful perspective. Imagine your diet coach looking over your shoulder at times when your resolve is weak. When you consider straying from your food plan, think to yourself, What would my coach say to me now? Doing so can help you better stick to your plan.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 85.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

About to do a full body workout.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:39 AM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

Yesterday was our "Christmas" celebration with my brother -- we made it happen on our third attempt. No illness or bad weather to keep it from happening. We ended up at a pizza place. I kept the food to my usual one slice of pizza and a salad, but added a glass of chianti for celebratory purposes. Good enough if it only happens once a year.

Weigh-in: +0.55 kg, Exercise: +25, 1000/1000 minutes for February

mam1958: I've been all the way through the Beck Solution book a couple of times. It's very helpful when new people come in and post how they are doing with each concept so I get a review.

silverbirch: I heard about the snowstorms in Europe on the news. We rarely get reports of European weather so it must be very dramatic.

BillBlueEyes: There are apps to scan ISBNs. Android or iOS? This article might help either way: https://www.insidehighered.com/blogs...r-home-library I usually get just about far enough to know there are tools for cataloging my library but never far enough to commit to actually doing it.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210.4/209.8/155

Height: 4'11"

I'm back been gone from here for a long time. Got out the Beck pink book and starting over yet again. Weighed today and at 176.2. Have had only planned food so far today. Want/need to write a new advantages response card. Hope I can stay on track this time and get to my goal weight.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:27 PM   #6  
mam1958

S/C/G: 307/267/160

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone,

8,500 steps today. Alot of those were up and down stairs so still happy with the #. Went to dr. today she was very happy with me all my #'s are going down. BP was Awesome 112/72.

Billblueeyes South Hadley is the next town over from me. Your little one gave me a good chuckle.

millie I am new just starting the book for the first time. Really enjoying it and putting the program to use.

gardenjoy Christmas sounded great. Good job with the eating. I see you like ebooks. I am a big reader 2 to 3 books a week. I just can't get an ebook. I like the feel of a book in my hand.

I am melting away.

Mary
Old 03-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #7  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Gosh darn it I just lost my post through stupidity. Stayed on plan today - now will brew a cup of tea. I had a very satisfying veggie dinner.

Bill - I know a lot of adults who don't know how to use the subjunctive tense, kudos for modeling that for your DGD.

Millie - Welcome back! I remember you from earlier - with a diff avatar Good luck!

Mary - Sounds like you get in a ton of steps and stairs in your work. Great news from the dr. - credits for that!
Old 03-01-2018, 11:33 PM   #8  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi everyone!

How did it get to be March? Bill, you're the one who starts new threads, so I'm blaming you for the new month.

I'm getting organized for our departure--turned an unworn scarf into an infinity scarf tonight, got a pedicure (since I'll be wearing sandals in Mexico). Also learned that I have no capris that fit well. I have some that are too big and some that are too small, but none that are "just right"

I'm still messing with my ebook collection--now getting them onto my iPad, which required clearing many other things from my iPad, including two earlier ereader apps. I really didn't need all my books on my iPad in Stanza, Marvin, and Kindle! (and now Calibre Companion) I don't know that I need all my books on my iPad at all, but I want them there! (I'm about 1/3 there--of 1800 ebooks)

Credit--weighed today (slightly down), took my meds (I struggle with that sometimes), sugar (slightly down). Not enough movement. I really have to figure that out--working from home is so sedenary--even worse than working in an office.

nationalparker: On plan and tea--sounds like a great combination (don't you hate it when you lose your post--I've had that happen, too)

mam1958: Congrats on your numbers! That's really the most important thing--how the losing affects the health. My blood pressure has gone down quite a bit in the last 2 months--not sure yet about my other lab work. I'm looking forward to having it checked, though!

millie: Hi! I'm looking forward to getting to know you. I know what it's like to lose your way and then come back.

joy: I hope your celebration with your brother filled your heart with joy and built a special memory. Siblings are so special.

silverbirch: Hope your work out was great!

BillBlueEyes: I love hearing about your GDD! We used LibraryThings for our physical books. We had a small mouse-like scanner, but you could use your phone. I think we started ours before we had iPhones :-). Ours isn't up to date anymore, though, because we didn't really track the 20 or so boxes of books we donated before moving.

Welcome to March, everyone!

--Beth
Old 03-02-2018, 04:57 AM   #9  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Friday - Dr. Seuss born (1904, Springfield, Massachusetts)

Diet Coaches/Buddies – Walk, CREDIT moi, included dropping off four books at a micro-library. I took none - even though I fondled the story of Roy Cohn, Citizen Cohn, the right wing guy who helped Senator Joe McCarthy during the red scare of the fifties. It's a small step forward for me to leave a book that would interest me for the simple reason that my stack is already too high. When the time comes, I'll go find it.

Eating was OK, CREDIT moi. Dinner was chicken grilled on the deck outside the kitchen door - before covering the grill in preparation for the incoming Nor'easter today. The predictions are for high winds and heavy rain over four tide cycles, giving four opportunities for the coastal areas to be flooded. We have a concert tonight that will require serious rain gear.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Merry Christmas to you, your brother, and family. [Thanks for the link to Apps to catalog my books. My hope is that once I know what I have, I'll feel free to let most of it go - think like the library is my extended storage facility.]

silverbirch – Hope the stories of serious icy cold in your vicinity are exaggerated.

nationalparker – A cup of tea is a great reward for an onplan day.

millie56 - Neat that you're restarting the Pink Book since that what's being quoted right now. Like Joy (gardenerjoy), I find the review helpful. Welcome back.

Beth (bethturnaround) – Had to google infinity scarf - quite a variety out there. Congrats for getting your wardrobe in place for your journey to Mexico. [Thanks for the LibraryThings pointer - another option.]

Mary (mam1958) - Congrats on "I am melting away."

Readers -
Quote:
day 6 Find a Diet Coach
tip!Whenever your diet
coach says something help-
ful, record it in your diet
notebook so you'll be able
to refer to it in the future.
Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Beck Diet Solution (Pink book), Pg 85.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:30 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 177/177/145

Height: 5'2

Quick wave coaches. My DH's memorial service is tomorrow, we put it off a bit to make sure family could come etc. The weather is sounding a bit scary, with high winds and torrential rains at times for today and tonight. Relatives are traveling today and tomorrow so i'm crossing my fingers there aren't problems for any of them, and praying we don't lose power. Scary for me to deal with storms myself but that is reality now. I just want to get this memorial over with. So thankful for my church folks who are helping me with all the pieces. I have a little bit more to do today but then i'll be set. Wave to all!
Old 03-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #11  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Confession: I want more results for on-plan days. Greedy. But honest. On plan so far today ... dinner is ready except for the last step of adding the eggs to the frittata, waiting for DH to get home from work. His days are getting longer and he's getting more dissatisfied/frustrated. At least we're heading into the weekend and I think he's off both days. Still sunny when I got off work, so I headed out on the trail with our dog for a good brisk walk. I was bundled up like it was 20 degrees even though it was upper 30s but I stayed warm and happy.

CurlyJax - I hope this storm doesn't affect your husband's memorial service and that your family and friends are able to get there. How stressful to have to deal with this on top of the stress of the memorial itself. I know you don't like storms (I'm the same) and wishing you strength through all of this.

Bill - I hope you've remained safe through your travel to the concert tonight - was it still on? And the elec? I thought of you when I bought USA blueberries the other day. Promptly forgot them in the fridge, so they, along with fresh raspberries and apple slices, will be the side to our frittata.

Mary - You, too, must be getting pounded with that storm! It's hitting a trifecta of our thread's members! What have you found the most helpful so far in your weight loss journey?

Maryann - Hopefully you've arrived at Friday evening fairly unscathed from the workweek. When you do finally retire, your school will be facing a solid loss.

Silverbirch - How did you fare with the winter storm, or are you still in its grip? With the sunshine here today, I'm looking forward to a bit of a splurge at the market this weekend on a small group of fresh tulips for the dining room table. I love hearing about your gardening. I am looking forward to more time for that one day.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Evening, Coaches.

Credit for weighing in today even though I knew the number would be high. I was at the Sacramento King's game last night. Our concierge seats come with buffet. It was what it was and the scale was a pound higher. All in all, I count a success a day that included me listening to the shrink when i don't want to listen, rewarding myself with my favorite consignment boutique instead of more food, and a date night with hubby.

I called in for a half day - using some of my bazillion hours of sick leave. Kids don't suffer because it is just my lunch and prep. I get to rest which I need to do as i adjust to another change in meds. I was on plan until a little peanut butter sounded reasonable. My powers of justification are amazing. Oh well. The kitchen is now closed.

Slow and steady. I have to remain slow and steady. Being with my kids feels vulnerable. They had an amazing time reading their screenplays - incredibly creative. The last was four pages of a musical on the Great Depression opening with the death of a beloved dog Charco in the coal mines of Kentucky and a miner sing "O Charco" to the tune of "O Danny Boy" as the dog was cremated Hindu style on a raft floating into a lake. The parody (Mel Brooks style) had me rolling on the ground.

This is all good but I get exhausted - like after a performance. Puttered this evening with the boys at a track meet. Fiddled with my wardrobe which now fits my size - nice. In the consignment store I bought a great short, black fitted casual jacket levi style. I took it to the dry cleaners and they called - seems there was a silver dollar in the pocket. Ironic because I bought the jacket for a dollar.

BBE: Books for you. Clothes for me.

Great to hear you are doing the deal, Mary and Millie. Nationalparker: There isn't one of us who doesn't think we should lose faster. Beth's experience is so helpful. She is on 800 calories a day and averaging 2.5 pounds. I eat nearly twice that.

I so appreciate hearing about everybody's details. They make this journey so much easier.

Last edited by maryann; 03-02-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:19 AM   #13  
formerly bethfromdayton

S/C/G: 242/179/165, then 155

Height: 5'2"

Hi coaches!

I'm doing last minute printing of things such as 'map from airport to hotel'. Since we leave for the airport in 20 minutes for our red eye, that's pretty last minute. Even from O'Hare, our choice was a red eye or a layover in Mexico City. We picked the direct flight, even as a red eye. At least our trip back is more reasonable.

I had to pack a much bigger suitcase than normally in order to bring my ready-to-drink shakes--and have to check it. It's weird to 'travel heavy' after learning that 1 carry-on suitcase is enough for any trip, regardless of length.

I'm really apprehensive, even anxious, about having 1 meal a day of 'real food', after 7 weeks of meal replacements only. However, my BFF reminded me that my stomach has probably shrunk, I won't be able to eat much, and I'm unlikely to lose my self-control, given how little I'm likely to be able to eat before being full. After the strong structure of this plan, I'm just nervous about 'being on my own', even though the dietitian and I came up with a plan for that single daily meal.

curlyjax, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

maryann, You're right--even at 2.5 lbs a week, I think I should lose faster. (The doctor and dietitian don't agree--they're perfectly pleased with my progress)

I'll probably do quick checkins while I'm gone.

--Beth
Old 03-03-2018, 03:21 AM   #14  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Good morning. Everything you've heard about the bad weather here is true. The ferocious winds around our house have dropped a bit now, thank goodness, and the snow has mostly blown away. Friends and family elsewhere are snowed in with no water, no power etc etc. There's been some damage around and about and I got very cold mending some of it yesterday. I didn't realise how cold until very much later. I'd eaten food with sugar, not thinking why, but it was obviously to try to warm up. Eventually I got a hot water bottle and that changed things dramatically. Such a good invention. Am typing this with one on my lap.

Our weather changes quite a lot from week to week which is probably why British people are always talking about the weather. It's the same with extreme cold - here today and gone tomorrow so we don't get used to dealing with it and that's why it has such a big effect. I'm keen for it to stop now though.

curlyjax, I hope everything goes well today. I'll be thinking of you.

Last edited by silverbirch; 03-03-2018 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:35 AM   #15  
mam1958

S/C/G: 307/267/160

Height: 5'6"

Hey everyone,

I was lucky with the storm we only had rain. Also high winds which woke me up at 4 am on a Saturday. YUK!!

Luckily no power outage or damage around me. In the Berkshires trees down and more snow. (Only half an hour from me.) I was in the middle of the storm area.

silverbirsh England is on my bucketlist. Loved Diana...

bethturnaround hope your trip goes well. I too am traveling for first time since starting a little nervous cause I won't be able to plan my meals. Aunt and Uncle present for my retirement. But they know I am doing this program so I hope it can be worked out alright.

maryann love the Kitchen is Closed.

nationalparker walk with your dog sounds wonderful. I grew up with dogs love them but DH has asthma so no dog. Cats don't bother him though so I have Misty our buddy.

curlyjax so sorry for your loss.

billblueeyes how did you make out with this storm? The pictures on the news are horrible. Was the concert cancelled?

I am melting away....

Mary
Closed Thread