Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-14-2018, 01:46 AM   #1  

Default Walking two hours a day?

Hi! Has anyone here tried walking two hours a day to lose weight? I have trouble motivating myself to run or jog, and thought maybe extended walks could do the trick. Thanks!
littlemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Littlemom2. Welcome to 3FatChicks. Walking is a very good exercise for your health, and does help you burn calories, but you would also need to make dietary changes in order to lose weight. I don't think you can lose weight from exercise alone. Also, if you have not been walking regularly, it might be a good idea to start out slowly and work up to 2 hours a day, or maybe split it up into 2 or 3 shorter walks.

Good luck to you.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 235/218.5/160

Height: 5'8"

Nothing wrong with walking two hours a day! A nutritionist once asked me "if you could just take a pill every day and maintain your ideal weight, would you do it?" Of course! I said. "What if the pill took an hour to swallow?" In combination with whatever you're doing diet-wise, walking one hour a day will make it stick. Once my weight went down, and I got going on walking one hour a day, there were many times I would continue for two hours or more and it felt great. Also, don't think you've got to get in your hour all at once. Three 20-minute walks work just the same!
Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:03 PM   #4  
Meow

S/C/G: HW: 285+ / tracker

Height: 5'4"ish

I love long walks, but I am too busy to do them. If you can, you should do it. They're so rewarding. Good for your mental and physical health. Walking alone won't be enough to lose weight, I agree, but it sure does help. Don't overeat just because you are doing 2 hour walks. I have made that mistake in the past.
bugsiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 07:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

I make time to walk even though I have a full time job and do things outside of work - Fortunately I telecommute and take multiple short breaks during the day running out and doing a 1 mile loop. My target is 4 of those a day which is right now about an hour and a half. Helps a lot with stress too. I will say that I also am very careful with what I eat!

Last edited by grannynancy; 03-02-2018 at 07:33 PM.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #6  
Shorty getting fit

S/C/G: 162/132/119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blarney View Post
Nothing wrong with walking two hours a day! A nutritionist once asked me "if you could just take a pill every day and maintain your ideal weight, would you do it?" Of course! I said. "What if the pill took an hour to swallow?"
Ha, I like that! I never thought about physical activity like that.

I like when walking is a part of my daily routine. For me, daily walking of about an hour a day total makes a 20'ish pound difference in my weight (over time) even w/o making any effort to eat less. Walking's great bc it doesn't increase my appetite, so I don't end up eating more and canceling out the calories burned. If anything, it seems to reduce my appetite a little. I also love how it reduces stress.

My brother lost over 100 pounds about 15 years ago. He watched what he ate and for exercise walked at least an hour a day, every day.

Last edited by Chunkahlunkah; 03-25-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Chunkahlunkah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

there!

Another testimonial regarding the virtues of walking combined with a good diet. The last time I was truly successful with weight loss--around 2009--I started walking at 230 pounds. I walked either morning and evening or during my lunch hour and in the evening. I also changed my diet quite a bit. It was a very healthy and after I got used it, I was satisfied with my meals 90% of the time. The weight dropped off but I also had a lot to lose so I'm sure that was part of it. I'm not lying when I tell you sometimes it was 3-4 pounds a week for the first few months. I continued until I got to 167. At that point I started to run and lost an additional 20+ pounds.

With this stated, if you look at my ticker you'll see I've regained the majority of my weight. My regain had nothing to do with my plan. I was promoted at work where I supervise people and have a lot more responsibilities. I completely ran off the rails. I have had to learn how NOT to eat my stress.

Walking is great exercise and it does wonderful things for your body and mental health. I wish you well.

Last edited by curvynotlumpy; 04-04-2018 at 04:24 PM.
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 04:22 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

Hi there. I responded back in March and now my husband and I wake up early and walk 6 miles together before work and it is a bit under 2 hours! Viola!!

Due to a good diet I have also lost significant weight since then. I was 192.8 on March 2 when I replied. Now I am 147.0 this morning.

Last edited by grannynancy; 10-06-2018 at 04:36 PM.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #9  
Work Lose Weight

i guess its too much.. but if you like to do it. do it with friends so that it will not be boring
mackyeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:34 AM   #10  

I think a lot of people have troubles finding 2 hours a day among the busy day. The best way to start I think is to just get up and walk whenever you can find the time to in between things. Ie. Take the stairs instead of elevator, take some time to walk around during break at work....
JacklynSammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:30 AM   #11  

Good Post
atiar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:13 PM   #12  

2 hours of walking per day is not so bad but if that is the only time of the day that you're exercising than I personally think you can find better exercises that will have more effect especially for weight loss.
JamesLifeHealhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:50 AM   #13  

Walking two hours a day is like an exercise to maintain body fitness. If you are not ok with walking two hours a day then at least walk min 1/2hr or 1hr a day.
happykumar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:09 AM   #14  

Walking is a great exercise to burn body fat
Cherrypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 05:02 AM   #15  

My friend lose weight simply by walking (a lot) and taking care of his diet. It was a long period but he managed that. I mean, he walked at least 4 hours a day, but I think that 2 hours is also pretty good exercise.
BloomEmily is offline   Reply With Quote