General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:22 PM   #1  

Default RMR Testing

So in 2014 I had my RMR tested. It was with a med gem machine which didn't seem the most accurate. The results came back at 1500 cals per day. With approx. 1700 cals burned per day.

Then I went to a new plan, and had it tested again. It came back at 1200 cals per day with approx. 1500 cals burned per day. This made sense as I eat about 1000 calories per day and lose about 1 lb per week. This test seemed better because it was the full face mask and done at a hospital but the mask wasn't tight and it seemed like it was the person's first day.

Then I went recently. This guy seemed to know what he was doing. Tight mask and he took a long time getting me set up. This was also full face mask. It came out 1593 with about 1700 to 1800 burned per day. This makes some sense because I am heavier now than test number one.

But, it seems clear tests number two was wrong.

The only problem is that test number two seemed to be in line with reality.

What am I missing here?

He recommended that I eat no less than 1200 cals but believe me... I have done that and not lost. And to be sure that I wasn't cheating I ate only prepackaged meals.

I am so confused.
AnnRue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 11:25 PM   #2  
mjf

None of the tests are accurate. Don't worry so much about what the tests say. You can count calories to figure out how many you're burning. For example, if you eat 1500 per day and neither gain nor lose, then that's how many you're burning.

Quote:
He recommended that I eat no less than 1200 cals but believe me... I have done that and not lost. And to be sure that I wasn't cheating I ate only prepackaged meals.
The prepackaged meals might be the problem. Many prepackaged meals are unhealthy. What kind of food is it? Are you eating a balanced diet? Always check the ingredients before you buy food.

What you eat is more important than how much you eat. Eating junk food can slow down your metabolism, which means you'll have to cut more calories to lose weight. Eat lots of vegetables. Eat enough protein and healthy fats. Avoid sweets, refined carbs, and deep fried foods.

Strength training can speed up your metabolism, so you'll be able to eat more and still lose weight.

Last edited by mjf; 02-26-2018 at 11:25 PM.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote