Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-12-2018, 10:18 PM   #1  

Default Need help with compulsive overeating

Oh gee, where do I start? I am 53, about 5'9", and quickly closing in on 300 pounds. I have no idea how to stop this crazy eating. As long as I can remember I have used food to anesthesize myself against the pain of a life full of abandonment, rejection and abuse.

I just finished dinner awhile ago. Two fast food sandwiches, a large fry and a sugary pop. I just added up the calories in this one meal - 1680, and 75 grams of fat. Why am I kiling myself with food? This is slow suicide. I don't understand myself - I love veggies, and fish, and I love to exercise. So why am i doing this to myself? If I don't stop I'm going to die, and die horribly - diabetes or heart attack or stroking out and spending the rest of my life in a wheelchair unable to wipe my own butt. I had an uncle who was fat, and had a stroke at 49, and he lived 40 years trapped in a unless body. I'd sooner die.

Please can someone who has conquered this demon offer me some support? I don't even know where to begin.
Treehouse44221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 313/175/147

Height: 5'7.5

You're not alone! You are starting out ahead because you've admitted you'd rather eat than face the tough emotions. I had great success in therapy, and have gone from 313 to 167 pounds in the past two years. Therapy has been one of the biggest things that has enabled me to make the changes necessary to lose the weight and stick with a healthy lifestyle. I still struggle with emotional eating, but I am better equipped with the emotional tools necessary to feel and deal with what's happening in life (stress, family, sadness, happiness, depression) and to deal with it and move on rather than turning to food.
JulesMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:51 AM   #3  

Default Thanks for the encouragement!

Wow, that's amazing, and so inspirational that you were able to lose that amount of weight. Congratulations!

I'm in therapy now, and working to overcome the behaviors that got me here. Thanks for letting me know it is possible!
Treehouse44221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:20 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

I am following Bright Line Eating and it strikes at the heart of food addiction / compulsion.

https://brightlineeating.com/

I started with the book, and did the 14 day challenge and have spent no more money on the program than that and have lost more weight currently than I have in 35 years of trying everything under the sun. The book is relatively cheap and is a good read. There is also Overeaters Anonymous and Food Addicts in Recovery if you have local chapters.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 313/175/147

Height: 5'7.5

Definitely! When I first went to therapy, I acknowledged that my eating habits weren't what they should be and I basically put changing my habits on hold until I had a grip on some of the deeper issues that made me feel safer being overweight. After a few months, I started having the desire to get started. It's tough, but worth it! Something that continually inspires me is to look at it day by day. Make each day an improvement on the day before, and focus on where you currently are - and start to make little maintainable changes that you can stick with. Then once you have one thing under your belt you can make more little changes. By that process you can make huge changes over time. (Example - focus on replacing most of your liquids with water and make sure you get enough of it, then once that's down pat, make sure you're having a nutritionally sound breakfast). The way I figured is that time is passing one way or another and I could be steadily killing myself with a hamburger or I could be slowly getting healthy. My weight didn't come off overnight, but over two years. I have not felt deprived and I am so glad I've stuck with it. I've found calorie counting to be a great way of staying on track. I use an app on my phone called MyNet Diary and I can scan food barcodes, and I use it in conjunction with a foodscale so I get the most accurate measurement of a portion size and I am not deceiving myself.

Best of luck to you, if I did it I know anyone can!
JulesMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:57 PM   #6  

Hi Sorry you are suffering with this. I also do. Although I seem to find a way at this point, in my advanced years to manage it. Although it is never easy. I do not keep any "trigger foods" in my home. And I will not walk into a restaurant fast food place unless I am sure I have a plan. Many people find OA to be great. Depends on the person. And how they relate to a 12 step program.

I recently saw a tv program where a girl went to hypnotherapy to try to work on the issue. Not for a quick fix. But to work on it and also have hypnotic suggestions. IDK if that appeals to you. I read that you currently are in therapy.That's great !!! But I think you are wise to look for other things as well. BED is, for me a mighty foe.

One thing that worked for me when I was actually losing, was to do a very low carb and low calorie diet. Just had to be careful to not go too low carb or calories. I weakened my heart muscle by going too low on cal. and carbs for too many months. The beauty of a low carb diet is that when the body does not get a lot of carbs, it really slows cravings.

Some people say that a cause of binging can be yeast (Candida) in the system that needs to be fed carbs or it will die. So they are kinda screaming feed me!! That's one reason why a low carb diet can make life a lot easier. The low carbs reduces the overgrowth and it goes into dormancy. I do not think there is one cause or answer that is right for everyone

Several years ago there were a couple of people who highly recommended a book. Brain over binge. Its written by a woman who was a (bulimic) binge eater.

I hope one of these suggestions may help. I struggle each day. Its not easy. I find myself slipping back into old eating behaviors and cravings. But with treatment, some actually overcome the cravings to binge eat.

Wishing you very best in your journey.

Last edited by flower123; 02-15-2018 at 12:15 AM.
flower123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: SW: 323 CW: See Ticker GW: 180

Height: 5'8

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehouse44221 View Post
Oh gee, where do I start? I am 53, about 5'9", and quickly closing in on 300 pounds. I have no idea how to stop this crazy eating. As long as I can remember I have used food to anesthesize myself against the pain of a life full of abandonment, rejection and abuse.

I just finished dinner awhile ago. Two fast food sandwiches, a large fry and a sugary pop. I just added up the calories in this one meal - 1680, and 75 grams of fat. Why am I kiling myself with food? This is slow suicide. I don't understand myself - I love veggies, and fish, and I love to exercise. So why am i doing this to myself? If I don't stop I'm going to die, and die horribly - diabetes or heart attack or stroking out and spending the rest of my life in a wheelchair unable to wipe my own butt. I had an uncle who was fat, and had a stroke at 49, and he lived 40 years trapped in a unless body. I'd sooner die.

Please can someone who has conquered this demon offer me some support? I don't even know where to begin.
Hello. I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling so. I am recovered from Bulimia, and slipped into compulsive eating/binge eating over the years. Between therapy and a combination of Eating Disorders Anonymous and Overeaters Anonymous, I was able to get a hold on my overeating. Then, the damage control began -- losing the weight I'd gained during the years of torturing my body with food. I'm currently following Weight Watchers, as it seems to be what works for me best. It's not an easy feat, that's for sure. May I suggest some of Geneen Roth's books. She's a good author who has really brought to light compulsive eating. I just love her!

http://geneenroth.com

Lastly, I'm glad you are here and reaching out for support
JesikaBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:53 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 308/308/220

I understand. I too am a compulsive overeater. I eat instead of dealing with issues in my life. What I should be doing is going to the gym, revamping my diet, and working on dropping the weight and finding a better job: Something that I'd enjoy and would make good use of my organizational skills and helping others.
Cherry2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:44 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 308/308/220

Oh yeah, and Treehouse 44221? I'm right up there with you in weight. I'm even heavier. I clock in at 308 lbs. I hate it and tend to hide out at home because people suck: They are cruel and smug. What I hate the most is the 'up and down' look. I don't even look at people directly because of it. However, I need to get out, get to the gym way early and get a workout in. But most days I'm just too paralyzed by anxiety. I need to get control of this. The binge eating demon and the anxiety demon are quite the tag team.
Cherry2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #10  

Default Me too

hey . . I totally understand where you are coming from, I am there right next to you. I have been struggling with my weight for years, sometimes lighter but mostly heavier, and it is mostly due to eating too much. You are right for me too is kind of comforting as I withdraw from others.
But guess what I am determined to have a good crack of this, I am sure you would be able too
kaya35 is offline   Reply With Quote