Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 332/236/175

Height: 5'8"

Default Soon to be scheduled - feel ALONE

Hello, I am new to this site. I am desperately searching for a forum where I can share my experiences with the Gastric Bypass with others. I am still pre-op, but my insurance has approved me for surgery and I will be meeting with the surgeons soon to schedule my date.

For over 6 months now I have been pre-opping it. I have jumped through all the hoops, passed my psych exam, lost the required pre-op amount, attended the bariatric lifestyle classes, etc. The problem is that after the classes stopped and I was approved, everything seemed to come to a stand still. I am in some kind of no-man's land right now, impatiently waiting to hear from the surgeons to set the date. It has been 2 weeks since I was approved by my insurance. I have not heard from the docs since then and I feel very alone in all this.

There will be more classes that will ensue after I hear from the surgeons, but for now I am in limbo, desperately looking for a forum where I can talk to others in my same predicament. I do not have support from my boyfriend, and I don't know anyone personally who has ever had the surgery, which is the reason why I am searching all these forums, hoping to find some conversation and support.

I have been constantly researching for the past few months. I have not found a good personal forum yet. I am hoping this site will have a few newbies like me who are willing to be buddies in this process.

I really like the stickies on this forum and have read them all, plus most of the comments everyone left. Thanks!

So----to make a long story short----is there anyone out there who wants to chat and buddy-up through the surgery???? I appreciate any support I can get!
PollyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:36 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

My mom is going through the same steps you are! I wish I could talk her into getting on here! We can all relate to a degree! I know GB is a huge change and massive surgery so I can imagine it is scary! I know this sounds stupid, but I have watched a lot of My 600Lb life, I think it is helpful to see people's stories and struggles. Something you could try, but I think there's a few GB folks hiding around here somewhere! Good luck and feel free to vent when you need to!
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:25 AM   #3  

Thanks Judge. I hope I can find some souls here who would like to share this experience together.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #4  

Well, I was just notified today that my surgery will be January 30th at 9:30am! I am taking notes from all the comments about what to bring to the hospital and what I will need to have at home when I am released. If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know. I will be muy agradecida!
Old 01-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #5  

my dear here there are many like you, do not despair
Samantha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/229/140

Height: 5'4"

I have been so grateful for the " GASTRIC BYPASS SUPPORT GROUP" on face book, it's a closed group and very helpful
My surgery is scheduled for this week 1/18/18 and I think I'd be losing it with out the support of this group
Good luck !
hayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #7  

The ball is rolling now. I heard back from the nurse. I have all my pre-op appts and meetings set up. My first group meeting is next Saturday! I can't wait to meet with others who are going through this with me! I feel less alone now, but I still need to vent and share.

Thank you Samantha and hayem. I have joined 2 groups on Facebook so far.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:36 PM   #8  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Good luck! Just a few more days now! I started my surgery at 440 and am now maintaining at 220 for 3-4 years. It works but is a lot of work too!
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeadventurer View Post
Good luck! Just a few more days now! I started my surgery at 440 and am now maintaining at 220 for 3-4 years. It works but is a lot of work too!
Thank you Active! I just got my EGD this morning and I am healthy and ready for that surgery.

The work I am used to. I have been dieting most of my life, and hard core continuously for the past 4 years. I know this surgery will make things easier for me. It will be nice to be freed from the tyranny of starving myself and deprivation. My little pouch will be so much easier for me to maintain! I am SO looking forward to this! Things like carbs and fruits have been out of my life for so long, I do not miss them, so I gladly bid farewell to them forever and their temptations. The fact that I will be physically unable to overeat is like a godsend to me. A terrible burden to soon be lifted from my soul.

I have no fears of this upcoming surgery. Only excitement and hope.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:14 PM   #10  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Best wishes to you on the 30th and as you recuperate, PollyB!

I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy on November 21st and it has been AWESOME. I am so glad I did it, and the only thing I regret, as many say, is that I didn't do it sooner.
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 07:10 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkshireGrl View Post
Best wishes to you on the 30th and as you recuperate, PollyB!

I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy on November 21st and it has been AWESOME. I am so glad I did it, and the only thing I regret, as many say, is that I didn't do it sooner.
Thank you BerkshireGrl!!!!!
Old 02-12-2018, 02:01 PM   #12  

PollyB, how are you doing now that you are past your surgery on January 30th? Hope all is well!
Old 02-12-2018, 02:42 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkshireGrl View Post
PollyB, how are you doing now that you are past your surgery on January 30th? Hope all is well!
Hello Berk, I am still healing from the surgery. I developed a seroma which had to be opened and drained today. Still uncomfortable, but I have no infections.
I graduated to eating mush. I am having no problem eating, or drinking, which I am very grateful for. I read so much about those who couldn't keep anything down. I have no trouble getting my 64oz of liquids, and my mushes are gurgling nicely in my new little pouch!

The only weirdness is that my weight is up a bit. I assume it is from the seroma and the retention of so much fluid. I always had a problem with fluid retention and edema. My Doc is allowing me to resume my Furosemide to try and get rid of some of the fluids.

I was hoping at first that I would see some weight loss after the first couple weeks, but I guess I have to wait a bit longer until I am fully healed and not so bloated. I truly feel like a water balloon.

And the strangest thing has happened to me... I seem to have lost my taste for coffee! I tried a couple times to sip a cup, but the taste is just not right any more! I never thought I's see the day...

What's up with that????
Old 02-14-2018, 02:08 PM   #14  

I gained a couple pounds after surgery too, I think from all the IV fluids. Don't worry though, it will come off!

That's crazy about the coffee -- ME TOO! I used to LOVE coffee but now I don't even finish a half cup, and sometimes (shhh!) I even drink tea! The only way I like to drink a whole cup of coffee these days is in a skim milk iced latte, pfff!
Old 02-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #15  

OK! I have finally dropped weight. 7 lbs down, overnight-like. My Furosemide worked, and I am getting rid of all that excess swelling fluid. The draining of the seroma helped some, too.

I tried Braunschweiger today. Went down well. It is a good mushy food.

Tags
friends, gastric bypass, newbie, support, surgery