Old 02-12-2018, 12:12 PM   #1  

Default Which plan for diabetics? or for counting carbs?

Hello.
I am prediabetic and need to lower my A1C and lose 30 lbs. I also want to stick to 100 carbs per day.
I am on smartpoints and im thinking of switching to points plus. I know that on smart points fruits are free ex. Apples but those have alot of carbs so not sure which plan to follow to count my carbs and lose weight.
For those that are prediabetic or diabetic:
1) Which plan do you follow?
2) Do you count net carbs or just carbs?
2) Do you eat foods that are low glycimic index or low glycimic load?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
Naty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Hi Naty. Welcome to 3FatChicks. I'm glad to hear you are interested in changing your diet to control your blood sugar. I am diabetic and I try to keep my carbs under 75 per day. Sometimes less, sometimes more. I count carbs, but make sure to include fiber. We are all different. The best thing I can recommend is to test your blood sugar 1-2 hours after eating to see how your meal effected your blood sugar. If it spiked, then that's a food to avoid or limit.

Good luck to you.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:33 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabehealthy View Post
Hi Naty. Welcome to 3FatChicks. I'm glad to hear you are interested in changing your diet to control your blood sugar. I am diabetic and I try to keep my carbs under 75 per day. Sometimes less, sometimes more. I count carbs, but make sure to include fiber. We are all different. The best thing I can recommend is to test your blood sugar 1-2 hours after eating to see how your meal effected your blood sugar. If it spiked, then that's a food to avoid or limit.

Good luck to you.
Thank you Wannabehealthy for your reply. Great tips.
Which plan are you on?
Naty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:56 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I am not following any particular plan. I try to eat only when hungry and not stuff myself. No food is eliminated, but I keep starchy carbs and sweets low, and eat a lot of vegetables.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 259 ??? 180

Height: 6'

Hello

I also am prediabetic type 2.

I am just starting out on this Atkins/Keto type thing, or low carb. About three weeks into it now.

My glucose was hardly ever under 130 and up to 250. Now it goes down to as low as 90, and some days does not go over 120 even after eating.

From what I understand evan 40 grams carbs is enough to knock us out of keto. There are 4 calories per gram carb. So 40 grams carbs are 140 calories. I am keep mine as low as possible. One thing to remember though is in talking carbs, it is the net carbs that count. Net carbs is total grams carbs minus grams fiber. So many vegetables come out as zero count carbs.

By not eating carbs the body is forced to use protein and fat as energy, converting them to glucose to use.

I have three eggs and three slices of very crispy bacon for breakfast. And that suits me fine because I love them. No bread to go with it. I also take a tablespoon full of psyllium and a tablespoon of flax seed mixed with water and drink it for the fiber. No carbs. I feel satisfied and do not even need to eat for the next 6 to 8 hours later. By having a late breakfast that does not leave that much day to contend with on eating.

Later on I have some fish, usually some of those frozen fish fillets, and a bowl of something I cook up in advance made with tomato, mushrooms, squash, and okra, and some chilies in it. Almost Carb free.

I do not experience hunger nor cravings at all. Side effects of no carb.

My blood pressure has dropped dramatically.

That is my experience so far, hope some of that may help you.

Harve
Harve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #6  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Hello people, Hi Have: I was prediabetic. I did low carb for a long time and found it helpful to keep me from gaining weight, and I had losses when i could really stick to the plan. One thing I did not do right, was eat enough fat. I now eat more fat (not really Keto though) and this helps a lot.
For a long time I maintained my weight about 173, (from about 180) so not a lot of loss, but at least not getting worse. I also took, and still take metformin. This was a choice for me, as there is research that shows that taking it helps to prevent people from progressing to diabetes, and is protective of kidneys, blood vessels in the eyes etc. (Like more likely to reach age 75 with all your toes, kidneys still working, and eyesight good enough to enjoy reading still).
In January 2018 I had some personal and family issues, and ate very badly for about a month and gained a lot of weight. (to 190) My blood sugars, which I test intermittently were horrible and out of control. I knew I had to do something, but I found it so very hard to stick to low carb.
But for me the turning point was reading Dr. Jason Fung's book, "the Diabetes Code".
This book advocations intermittent fasting. (16-18 hours a day) through eating two meals a day, about 6 hours apart. I started there, and did well.
I then started longer fasts as recommended, and by October was down to 150. I have maintained fairly well over the last year. I continue the 2meals a day (2MAD) and have 1 extended fast a week usually. I up that if I have been off plan and gained weight, so that I do to get too far from my 150 set point.
Its no accident that my A1C lab results (this reflects long term blood sugar, over about a 3 month period) went down to a normal 5.2 with this weight loss.
I now mostly eat LCHF (low carb high fat) but enjoy occasional treats without guilt. I know I may need to have a little extra fasting as a result, but the guilt is gone.

I am delighted with this result, and happily advocate this way of eating for weight loss, but especially as a way to reverse type 2 diabetes and prediabetes.

fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote