Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 08:40 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default Diabetes and Prediabetes Chat - Winter 2018

Happy New Year All!

If you have been Diagnosed with Diabetes or Prediabetes, join us here for support with Blood Sugar Readings and Weight Loss.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:54 AM   #2  

Good morning, all. Fresh new thread for a fresh new start to 2018. I plan on doing things differently this year. No more fooling around. When I got out of the shower yesterday I got a good look in the full length mirror. Yikes! I appear to be carrying a whole person on my belly! I need to look in that mirror daily, to keep my mementum up.

I did not last til midnight last night. I pooped out at 11 PM. I went to bed and turned the TV on, but I fell asleep and woke up to all the noise as the New Year arrived. Mostly fireworks in our neighborhood. I got a pretty good night's sleep and am now ready to start the day.

My plan of attack is to only eat when hungry, eat less, and avoid foods that spike my blood sugar. I also hope to increase my exercise. I know I can do this if I really set my mind to it. Others have done it, and I am as good as they are.

I just got on the scale and I am at 203. Not nearly as bad as I expected. I have gained 4 lbs over the holidays. I will change my stats now to reflect my starting weight.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:45 PM   #3  

I did not eat breakfast this morning. Not hungry, so I just had coffee. I made my ham, cabbage and potatoes for lunch. I usually love sauteed cabbage and onion, and I think I would be happier with just that. I sliced 2 small potatoes to put in and I think that was more than I needed, and I could have done without the ham. LOL So I guess that's off my list of things to make. At least I got to try it though. I'm realizing that ham is not a favorite of mine. Too salty for me, like bacon.

I also cooked my 2 artichokes. I had let them go too long and they were starting to turn brown and dry out, so I could not stuff them. I trimmed and boiled them, actually boiled them too long, then just pulled off the leaves, removed the choke and ate the hearts. They were good, but that was a lot of work just to get to the hearts. Maybe I would be satisfied with a jar of heart in water instead. After all the videos I watched, at least now I know how to prepare and cook them. I still want to try stuffing them, so next time I will use them right away instead of letting them dry out. I just had too many things going on. I've had about 600 calories so far today. Knowing that will help me plan the rest of my day. I would like to stay around 1200 calories, not over 1500. I have always been able to lose at 1500 or below. I hope to stay away from the candy DH bought. LOL

I have no clue what we will be eating for supper.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue Thanks for starting a new thread for 2018. A new year a new start.

I actually gained 5 lbs during the holiday. My weight is back up to 217.2 this morning. I keep a daily record of bs readings, bp and weight. Looking back to the beginning of 2017 and today, with all those up and down lbs, I only lost .8 lbs for the whole year. Actually, my bp is the only thing that improved over the last year. I too am making a lot of changes this year.

I am doing IE 100%. I did pretty good doing that once before I started reading all the books and stuff about what I should be doing. So now I am back to the rules of IE... when I am hungry, eat what I truly want not what I think I should eat. Savor every bite and eat only as much as I need to feel satisfied. I will do 30 minutes on my recumbent bike 5 days a week plus the activity of staying busy around the house to keep it clean so I can have company on the spur of the moment besides the outside activity. Moving around more. Plus be sure to drink water and other liquids to get my daily fluids in.

I had to make myself do it, but I got my 30 minutes done this morning. I' ve got a pot of Great Northern beans cooking with the ham bone in it . Last night DH came in and asked me if I had the pot of beans on the stove soaking. I told him I was going to cook that and cornbread, but I didn't know what I was going to add to it. I was raised when you eat beans don't add meat at the table. My deceased hubby was raised the opposite. The first time I cooked a pot of beans, his question was "where's the meat". We argued because I told him beans are the meat/protein. As long as he lived, I had to cook meat and beans. So you can imagine how thrilled I was when DH said, "You don't have to add anything with it. Just have a salad, beans and cornbread". So that is what we are having for lunch today.

I used to have a friend that would take a package of frozen greens and cook them and they tasted and looked just like she had cooked a pot of fresh greens. Since I'm the only one who eats greens, I cooked 1/2 a pkg of frozen collard greens with enough ham for flavor. I will eat that and cornbread this evening for a my supper. The only meat I am having today is the little bit of ham that will be in the beans and greens

I read an article that said to eat a little fruit for the energy to exercise. So I had a small serving of mixed fruit since I don't eat a lot of fruit before I did my 30 minutes. After I had a cup of coffee, because I wasn't hungry. I saw an article that said if you aren't hungry for breakfast just eat a sl of toast with peanut butter if nothing else. Well, I happen to like just a slice pb toast and a cup of coffee and nothing else for breakfast. So when I got hungry later and since IE says eat what I really want, I had 1 sl pb toast with a cup of coffee around noon. I'm not counting calories, but I would estimate that I've had less than 200 calories this morning and I am completely satisfied.

I've decided that I am going to follow this IE plan until I see the results of my lab work later this month and how my FBS is doing during this month until then. If I don't see any improvement, I will discuss the Victoza with my doctor. It will mean taking a shot a day instead of 1 a week since my insurance isn't going to cover Trulicity.

I'm not making New Years Resolutions because those are made to break. I am just making a commitment to myself. I deserve to be healthy and I am the only one who can do this and I am going to pray for the Lord to help me do it. I feel like I have too much to live for and I want to be healthy enough to enjoy it. I've actually learned a lot this past year living around my family. I actually believe that a lot of problems comes from environment as well as family habits. I want to change. It also looks like my DH is willing to work at eating correctly so maybe he and I can do it together.

Happy New Year.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:49 AM   #5  

Trish, it sounds like you have a good plan firmly in place to improve your health. I really don't think you are in poor health now, but we can always do better.

I have 2 doctor's appointments this month, with the possibility of another. Now that it's the new year I want to write them on my 2018 calendar so I don't forget. I might have to call and inquire about the appointment with the sleep doctor, because I don't know where I wrote that one down. I have the information for the PCP. The cardiologist wanted me to come in December but I asked to postpone it until January since my copay is less this year, so they should be calling me back to reschedule, or I will call them. They send me the paperwork to get bloodwork done, so I will make sure to get that done before I see him and the PCP. They will both want to see that info. Then the PCP will give me a script to get the A1c done. I know that's going to be too high, but I don't want to add or switch meds. I want to continue working on doing it with diet and exercise. I know when I get the spikes is when I indulge in foods I should not eat. I do not want to take meds to offset bad choices. That's just me. Having the meds on hand just causes me to get careless.

My list of foods that I really like is getting smaller and smaller. I used to eat whatever was there and be satisfied, but now I find that some things taste particularly good to me and others are just acceptable. I can go into a restaurant and look at a menu and nothing on it really interests me. It used to be that so many things appealed to me that I had trouble choosing. I don't know why that has changed. I know that some illnesses list lack of appetite as a symptom, but I don't think it's that. I think I'm still eating the same amount of food, and the scale agrees, but I'm just not enjoying it like I used to. I'm just going through the motions.

My love of eggs hasn't changed, but I had some when we went out for breakfast over the weekend and they weren't that good. I can make good over easy eggs to eat with toast. Restaurants don't cook the whites enough for me. DH makes the best scrambled eggs. They are fluffy and moist. I think some restaurants cook them too long and they are hard and dry. I used to love McDonald's breakfast but now I cringe when DH wants to go there. And I still like veggies, some more than others. I am getting tired of chicken and turkey. I never thought that would happen. I used to love to buy a rotisserie chicken at the store. It was a quick and easy dinner, just making sides to go with it. Doesn't appeal to me anymore. Now I prefer pork chops or steak, but I no longer feel that I have to have meat every day.

On Christmas I made a corn and black bean salsa. It has corn, black beans, chopped onion, chopped green pepper, and diced tomatoes, with just a bit of ACV and olive oil for moisture. You eat it with tortilla chips. I normally love that, and was looking forward to having it for a few days. It got thrown out yesterday. I kept seeing it in the refrigerator and it just didn't appeal to me.

DH likes to go to Wendy's but nothing they have interests me. For a burger, I only like a good meat patty and a bun. Nothing else. I sometimes order a crispy chicken sandwich, or they do have a salad that I like. But most of the time I like to eat hot food, so I have to really be in the mood for salad.

I remember when DH's grandfather got older they had to force him to eat because he lost interest in al food. I couldn't imagine it, and now it's happening to me. It would be fine if I stopped eating and lost weight, but I'm still eating, just not enjoying it at all. When I eat something that really tastes good I get so excited. LOL

So I guess my plan isn't really changing. I just want to eat foods that I like, in smaller portions, and get more active.

So this is how my year is starting out. I have signed up for a couple challenges like I did last year, but I do it more for the comaradarie than anything else, because I like posting with the others. I do intend to have better progress this year than I've had in the past.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:24 PM   #6  

It sure makes a difference when I don't go to the beauty shop. My beautician was ill Friday so I'm doing my hair this week and it takes me a long time to get it done. When she does it, she teases it and I can just work around the edges and only takes a few minutes.
So I'm running late on everything.

I've changed up my routine. I eat soon after I get up now like they say it is good for me to do. My FBS was 156 yesterday and is 158 this morning. Seems stable. I felt so full all day yesterday from what I ate and was shocked when I got up this morning and was down 2.2 lbs. I ate a lot of fiber yesterday although I don't know how much. That is encouraging. So I got up today and had a half serving of oatmeal with 1 egg, 1 sl Sara Lee 45 cal multi-grain toast (I figure the 1/2 serving of oat meal and 1 sl bread = 1 carb serving). I had my usual 1/2 banana and added yogurt to the oatmeal with the cinnamon sprinkled into it. This should hold me over until we get back from Daddy's. I have to go do his meds today. I really don't want to go out to eat so I think we will come home and have a salad, hot dog w/o bread and some of our leftover beans from yesterday with a small piece of cornbread.

I was reading some of the articles that come out this time of year about keeping cholesterol down and I think we need to start eating more beans to help with that. I wish I could get DH to eat oatmeal. He is going to have to do something because he is losing too much weight. He has cut back too much. The Fraxiga isn't helping the bs, but it is making him lose too much weight.

Better get going. I still have to do my 30 minutes on the bike and then I have a few other things I want to get done before we leave. I have decided that there are certain things I need to do regardless of what else is going on if I'm going to make this in to a lifestyle. I think it has to become a habit before it can become a lifestyle.

Have a good day. BBL
Old 01-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #7  

Trish, just once I want someone to tell me I'm losing too much weight. LOL

I found a new product I like. I like to eat Philadelphia Cream Cheese, in the groove of a celery stick. This week I bought some soft cream cheese in Garden Vegetable flavor. I love it. It's easy to spread, and has a great flavor. I still have a block of reduced fat regular cream cheese here so I think I will beat some of it with my mixer and add some of the Garden Vegetable Cream Cheese into it. It should still have enough flavor. I figure if it is getting me to eat more celery, that's a good thing. It gives me the crunch of pretzels or potato chips but is much healthier. It has tiny pieces of vegetables in it, like carrots, celery, green pepper, and I could probably add more of them to it to make it even healthier. I did try a taste of it on a Ritz Cracker and I loved that too, but I'm trying to forget about that one. LOL Once these crackers are gone I won't be buying any more because I only buy them for the holidays. I won't even get mad if they get stale and I have to pitch them.

This soft cream cheese also comes in sweet flavors, too, but I' ve always preferred savory.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #8  

Carol SueI would love to hear someone say I had lost too much weight too. LOL The main thing I want is for DH and me to lose that visceral fat under the breast bones. That is supposed to be the dangerous fat.

We went to Daddy's and I told him that he should really feel loved because I sure wouldn't have gotten out in this cold weather for anyone else. There was just enough wind to feel really feel it on your face. It is really funny that I never wanted a coat with a hood, but I sure was glad to have it this afternoon. DH decided he would rather have a burger from McD's on the way home. So that is what we ate for dinner. I checked FBS before we ate and it was 109. I even weighed before and my weight was down some more. I also had 1/2 c of beans with it because of the fiber. It seems that eating fiber is really working to help with weight loss. I can't believe that all I had to do was add fiber from grains to my way of eating. I've heard this, but because I was so convinced by low carb info that I shouldn't eat grains, I never believed it.

DS just called and Daddy wants to get out tomorrow so we are going out to Whataburger for breakfast.

I also have my lab work on the 19th and a doctor's appointment on the 26th. I will decide by then what I want to do about Victoza. It depends on my A1c. However, the way this seems to be working, it should be fairly good.

I can understand you not wanting to change your diabetic meds as I don't want to start taking shots if I don't have to. I still believe it can be done with diet and exercise or in my case adding the grains and eating Intuitively and exercise. Time will tell if I'm right.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:27 PM   #9  

Trish, I don't think I really understand what grains are. When I think of grains I think of wheat. That makes me think of bread, and bread spikes my blood sugar, even whole grain bread. I can only eat a slice now and then, that's why I keep it in the freezer. I consider vegetables and beans to be my fiber. I think cereal is grain, like oatmeal. I don't eat that very often. I have steel cut oats but they take a long time to cook. This woman on another forum told me how she makes it in the slow cooker and then keeps it in the refrigerator and heat up a portion each day. I might try that. But from what it says on the carton, it really doesn't have a lot of fiber in it.

My friend told me she called the doctor's office and they told her the scan didn't show any additional problems, so that's good. The doctor is out of the office for the week so she will probably not hear any more until her appointment on the 13th of 14th.

I was supposed to go to the store this evening but couldn't make myself go outside. DH got a few things I needed when he went out today but I don't like to give him a list. LOL I will go first thing in the AM. The cold is to continue here and we might get more snow. We are due for a heat wave of 42 degrees on Monday. I heard the east coast is going to get blizzard conditions from FL to New England and into Canada. We are too far inland to get that. Thank goodness!

I can't wait to see our next gas bill. The furnace is really cranking.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #10  

A quick flyby before I head out this cold morning. I guess I will let my walking around the grocery store and waiting on Daddy and DS be my exercise this morning.

FBS was 153 down a smudging and weight was down .2 lb to 214.8. I am sticking to my new plan. Although I am mostly doing IE, I did mix the cinnamon in the banana and added a little pb to it and had it on toast because I am kind of following the diabetic rule of eating something as close to within 1 hr upon getting up. I want to see if this keeps working like it is. I don't mind the weight inching down because I think that is a good way to lose. By eating the pb/banana cinnamon toast, I am just splitting my breakfast up.

BBL
Old 01-03-2018, 11:24 AM   #11  

Last night I ate a piece of cherry turnover DH had and 4 mini Milky Way!! I know better. Why do I do that? I wasn't hungry. I get so angry with myself. Got my blood sugar spiked. Why can't I learn to resist this junk? I must admit, the cherry turnover was really good. These are the bad habits I had all year in 2017 and I really need to curb this.

Today I am making stuffed cabbage rolls. I made a big roaster full, which I will split with my step-daughter. There are about 50 of them. They are in the oven for a few hours and will keep the house nice and warm. I also have chopped cabbage and onion on cooking for haluski. (Noodles and cabbage.) I am like an old Slovak grandma who doesn't let anything go to waste. LOL I have only had coffee so far this morning because I was busy. I am still not hungry. I understand you eating something as soon as you get up, but for me, once I eat my first food my appetite wakes up and I want to keep eating everything. So far, the longer I wait to eat the less I eat all day. I really need to work on not eating after dinner.

DH is outside taking down the Christmas decorations. We didn't put a lot out. Just a few lights and a wooden snowman. We are ready for spring!!
Old 01-03-2018, 04:43 PM   #12  

Carol Sue Got this from that Type 2 Diabetic site we found last year. Thought you might want to check it out. It is on the carb and fiber connection explaining the fiber we need.

https://type2diabetes.com/nutrition/...7a408eb4429583

Last edited by pattygirl63; 01-03-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #13  

Thanks, Trish. I like Fiber One cereal. I don't always eat it alone, but add some to my Special K when I eat it, but that's not daily. I usually count on veggies and beans for my fiber. There is also those Haystacks that can be made with Fiber One Cereal, but I tend to eat too many when I make them. LOL
Old 01-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #14  

DH couldn't sleep this morning and he got up before I left this morning. I asked him if he wanted to go with me. He asked where I was going and I told him I was going to meet Daddy and DS for breakfast then go to the store. He surprised me and went with us. Daddy over slept because my nephew from Dallas came to see him yesterday and stayed late. When I called him, he was just getting into the shower. DH and I decided to go get him and DS would take him home. So we decided to meet at the Denny's closer to her because it was off the Interstate and we could get on it and go straight to Sam's club. It was really nice to eat somewhere different than Whataburger, but Daddy ate biscuits with gravy and that is why we don't go there very often. In fact, I told him to watch out for the swelling and if he swells to take an extra Lasix. Don't like doing that but he better if he needs to.

I did do 10 minute ride on the bike before I left and was surprised that I ended up doing 1 mile in 10 minutes. We walked all over Sam's Club and then walked at Home Depot. I'm trying to find a paper towel holder to replace the one that broke by my stove. Although my kitchen is small, I still like one by the sink and another by the stove. I guess I will have to order one from Amazon. DH has one in the garage so I might have him bring that one in since it matches the one in the house and get him one for the garage.

Since we had partial portions of pancakes with our eggs and bacon this morning, we are counting that as our main meal for today. DH is having a bowl of soup and I am going to wait a while and then make me a salad or have beans and cornbread. I cooked Quinoa the other day so I would have that on hand and I want to go on line get some ideas of how to eat it. I'm thinking stewed tomatoes mixed with it would really taste good sometime.

Carol Sue It is amazing to me that since I gave up dieting rules and eat what I really want, I'm not wanting to eat as much as I used to eat. Just like when we ate out, DS and I realized that since none of us wanted a whole serving of pancakes that we should have ordered the eggs and bacon for DH and me and sausage for her and then we should have gotten one pancake order and divided it in 1/3s or even 1/4 because we all left half or more on each of our plates. We will know better next time.

I even found it easy to decide that I wasn't going to cook a meal when I got home because we don't need another whole meal and that I will wait until I really am hungry. I love the idea that eating some of the fiber that I am eating seems to cause the other foods to just swoosh through my system. I have read that, but I have never trusted it before. I will continue this because so far it is working for me. It sure make me stay satisfied longer.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:33 AM   #15  

I haven't had pancakes for so long! I love them, but can't get started on them or I can't stop. Same with waffles.

You do seem to be doing very well with this plan, Trish, even though it's not really a plan, just IE.

My blood sugar was 120 this morning. That's the lowest I've had in a long time but I know it's because of my Glimiperide that I'm still taking. Whatever works.

We still have a lot of stuffed cabbage left to eat today. I don't like it too much because it tastes like I put too much seasoning in it. DH doesn't notice it, but I do. I also have so many leftovers in the refrigerator. Things I thought I would eat, but haven't. I need to throw all that out. It doesn't even appeal to me now.

Our outside temps are going to be in the single digits the next couple days. I'm not looking forward to that. I haven't been outside since Sunday or Monday. DH went to the store for me. This morning I went to let the dog out and the sliding glass door was frozen shut. That has happened in the past with other dogs we've had and we had to let them out the front door. They aren't used to go out the front and they don't like that. DH got up and opened the door, then went back to bed. LOL Once I'm up, I'm up.

Can't wait until Monday when it's supposed to warm up to the 40s.
Closed Thread