Goal! Have you reached your goal? Share your success story and celebrate your victory!

Old 01-19-2018, 01:18 PM   #1  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Default After 9 years of trying and failing and trying again....GOAL! 90 lbs lost!

I gained 90 lbs over the course of 9 years, and 9 years ago I began trying to lose it. It took all 9 of those years to really figure out the right method for me. For one, I had to finally recognize that exercise is great for fitness but sucks for weight loss. I do exercise, but I don't do it to lose weight. For two, I finally had to realize that my body is very sensitive to carbohydrates and accept that I was going to have to limit carbs if I wanted to lose weight. In the beginning I did drop from 225 to 175 by modifying my diet a little and adding in exercise (P90X to be specific) and using protein shakes. But over the years I regained 25 lbs. In April 2016 I was 205. Today I weighed in at 134.8.

I just want to say to people who are trying and maybe not getting the results- don't give up. It's a journey. It's a learning curve. Don't trust conventional wisdom just because- if it's not working for you, then try something else. Ultimately I gave up on a number of "conventional wisdom" things- I don't believe exercise helps you lose weight, for example. I remember when my doctor first told me, "You diet to lose weight, you exercise to get fit" and I scoffed. I mean, as a teen I could eat anything I wanted and burn it off so why would it be different now? Well, I can assure you that by the time you hit 30, things change! The other thing I had to toss aside was the "calories in, calories out" theory of calories as the primary reason for weight loss. It doesn't work for me. I'm super sensitive to carbs, and my macros (fat, protein and carbohydrate) ratio is tremendously important to me, far more important than calories. I don't count calories, other than once in a blue moon to make sure I'm eating enough. I count macros, and specifically I count carbohydrate grams. Provided I keep my carbs low, I can eat as much food as I want and lose weight (I easily eat 2000 calories a day). If I start eating a lot of carbs, I gain weight. I gained 5 lbs between Thanksgiving and Christmas due to going a little crazy on carbs. I drastically lowered my carbs for January and have now hit goal. I also occasionally practice intermittent fasting (an 18/6 schedule) and I avoid snacking.

I'm not saying this is what works for everyone. I do believe everyone is individual. But I also believe people need to question, question, question and if you've been trying the same thing over and over and it's not working, it's probably time to change it up.

For those that have any interest at all, my resources for carb reduction are primarily these three websites:

www.marksdailyapple.com
www.dietdoctor.com
www.idmprogram.com

I also am a huge fan of Dr. Jason Fung and he has a ton of videos available on Youtube. He's the author of "The Obesity Code" and he's an MD that specializes in reversing Type 2 Diabetes in his patients at his clinic in Toronto by utilizing a combination of a low carb diet and intermittent fasting. Finding him has been life changing for how I think about carbs, especially as my A1C was bordering on pre-diabetes.

I'm super grateful for the support I've received here at 3FC and plan to stick around because now I get to move on to something even harder: maintenance!

Last edited by EagleRiverDee; 01-19-2018 at 01:19 PM.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:21 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

Thanks for sharing your very motivational post and congratulations!
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:35 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'

and well done, EagleRiverDee! I've been following your posts and have always been impressed by your transparency and honesty regarding reaching your weight-loss goals. My body reacts a lot like yours to carbohydrates and the only true weight loss success I've had has come from following a similar approach as yours.

I'm so glad you mentioned maintenance in your post because it was something I didn't think about at all last time I lost weight. I guess I thought I'd be in weight loss mode forever?! It was where I went off the tracks. I'm doing things differently this time.

Thanks for your update and congratulations again!
curvynotlumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvynotlumpy View Post
I'm so glad you mentioned maintenance in your post because it was something I didn't think about at all last time I lost weight. I guess I thought I'd be in weight loss mode forever?! It was where I went off the tracks. I'm doing things differently this time.
I find moving to maintenance to be actually a bit scary. Like, I know how to lose weight. I don't know how to maintain it. And I've seen a lot of posts here at 3FC that state that maintenance is actually harder...plus whereas you know eventually your weight loss journey will end, maintenance is forever. So I hope I learn faster how to maintain than I did how to lose! Ha!
Old 01-19-2018, 05:31 PM   #5  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Smile

EagleRiverDee on reaching Your Goal Weight! It must feel awesome.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/136.0/115

Height: 5'1"

I'm still throwing a happy dance party for you!!! Alas, whatever will I do without my thread buddy now? I will just have to work faster and join you in the maintenance threads.
Princessroja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 02:30 AM   #7  
Here to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princessroja View Post
I'm still throwing a happy dance party for you!!! Alas, whatever will I do without my thread buddy now? I will just have to work faster and join you in the maintenance threads.
Oh, I'm going to visit the 140's thread, I want to be there and do the happy dance for you and Chunkahlunkah when you both hit your goals!!!
Old 01-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #8  
2Hot2BFat

S/C/G: 368/344/150

Height: 5'7.5"

EagleRiverDee,
Congrats! That is fantastic!!!!
Megan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 01:34 AM   #9  
Here to Learn

Thanks so much, everyone!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 257/230.0/156

Height: 5' 8"

Yeah for you! What a great feeling to have hit your goal!
lemonthyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:48 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/164,2/140

Height: 5'4

dee CONGRATULATIONS I am so happy for you! I love reading your posts and you have been an inspiration to me throughout my journey!

I wish you the best of luck in maintenance and hope that you will stick around and keep on posting!!!!
kfunk6113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 02:11 AM   #12  

Default Thank you!

What an inspiration to see you have patience and never give up. Please continue to share your maintenance strategies!
At 47yo , I'm heavier than ever because of my own carb /sugar addiction. But I started keto / very low carb last week and have started breaking the sugar cycle. (But very little weight loss).. not giving up ever
Finallyfreekelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #13  

wooow so good
ismailps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:25 AM   #14  

thank you for your wisdom. "if its not working maybe its probably time to change it up." and for the motivation!! congrats!
marklat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:11 PM   #15  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I want to learn about sticking to plan, and how you did it. I have not yet been successful sticking to a plan long enough to really change my eating habits. I know it isn't easy, but thats my goal, to eat right for the long term.
I think you will maintain well, because you have been doing this for a long time. It took a long time to reach goal. That means you have learned to eat right, and you have learned to LIVE
congrats
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote