Old 01-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default Just Made A Great Vegetable Dish

I grew up eating the normal every day veggies like corn, peas, green beans, that my mother served with dinner. Each person took a little spoonful. That was it. As I got older and started watching my weight, I realized that veggies are low in calorie and high in nutrients, so I started experimenting and realized that I liked a lot of veggies when they were prepared differently. Today I made a delicious concoction for lunch. I peeled and chopped a rutabaga. You know, those ugly purpley things you see in the veggie aisle. Put the cubes in my processor and did a rough chop. In a large pan with a little butter, I mixed that with some chopped onion, chopped cabbage and kale. Salt, pepper, put a lid on it turned to low and let it "steam." The butter is more to add flavor. You can do a water or broth saute for lower calorie/fat. I cook it until the veggies soften up, but still have a bit of a crunch, 15-20 min. The rutabaga adds a bit of a sweet taste. You can add spices like Tumeric or Cumin, whatever flavor you like.

Another thing I found, if you eat a lot of vegetables, your taste buds change and eventually you lose your cravings for sweets.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-16-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Wannabehealthy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #2  
Maggie

S/C/G: 215/154.2/~111 or so

Height: 5'5"

That sounds delicious! Although I may be biased because I adore fruits and vegetables. I'd trade basically any other food group if I could have a steady supply of really fresh produce.

Stir fries similar to this are a go-to for me. They're healthy, tasty, and easy. I'll have to give your recipe a try!
Chanticleer is offline   Reply With Quote