Old 03-05-2017, 09:19 PM   #1  

Default New User, New to Med Diet, Fresh over from LC

Hi all!

My name is Joe.

I have spent the last two years on a low carb diet. I lost 30lbs when I cut my carbs under 50g of gross carbs a day. Then I lost another 40lbs when I ratcheted it down to under 20g of gross carbs a day. And then last year happened and I lost 0lbs. Now, I didn't gain any and that's actually great. But I'm wanting to lose, not maintain.

So I thought i'd switch to the Mediterranean Diet because I think it's a healthier approach and seems to work for people. Also, i've learned to love fat for 2 years now and I don't know if I could switch to a low fat lifestyle.

The problem I have with low carb is that I have to be fine with foods like diet pop, processed bars, lots of beef, bacon etc. But agree that a banana, apple, potato and even certain high carb vegetables like Brussels sprouts are not ok to eat. And, while i'm grateful for the 70lbs I lost, I still can't get on board with that fully.

The great part about LC was that there are tons of resources out there, it's easy to google "low carb shepherds pie" or "low carb pizza" but i'm not having any luck with that on Med.

When I google Med recipes I get stuff that's "Mediterranean Style" and includes things I know are not approved.

So is there a good resource for these things? Is there a thread where people list their meals and snacks for the day that I could browse through to get some ideas?

Thanks all, excited to be doing this!
- Joe -
lvin4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:33 PM   #2  

Ok, well if there aren't any online resources are there any cookbooks you can recommend?
lvin4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 10:46 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I don't know if you're still checking in, Joe, but the Mediterranean Diet is not a weight loss diet, the way LC is, or Atkins, but it's actually the way they eat in Mediterranean countries, which is considered a healthy diet and can lead to weight loss. It would be up to you to control calories and fat to promote weight loss, based on your individual needs. I don't think many people here follow this plan. They usually do a more structured weight loss diet.

If you were to google Mediterranean Diet or Foods for Mediterranean Diet you would find a lot of choices. Here are 2 I found quickly that may help you.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...t/art-20047801

http://www.bestwaytoloseweight4u.com...s-go-shopping/

Good luck to you!
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #4  

Height: 5'3

The Sonoma diet books are good references for portion control and lists of healthy foods.
It keeps your portions small by using a 9inch plate and dividing it into protein,salad and vegetables.
2Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 05:58 PM   #5  
Future Skinny Pastry Chef

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Late response, but the folks at America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Illustrated also have Mediterranean cookbook (as well as a Paleo one). I've tried a few of the recipes and they're pretty tasty.
Rashomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bees View Post
The Sonoma diet books are good references for portion control and lists of healthy foods.
It keeps your portions small by using a 9inch plate and dividing it into protein,salad and vegetables.
Right
Samantha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #7  

what's helpful is that we had already started the switch to this type of diet without even realizing it. i try to put veggies in as many dishes as i can, and barely use butter anymore. i learned to love the taste of good olive oil. we don't really like fish. luckily we're learning to appreciate veggies and tofu, and i'm going to start using cashew cream in dishes instead of regular creams/other dairy. we're still learning, but as long as we're mostly progressing then i feel good.
areslane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:50 AM   #8  

Nice! Adding more vegetables and utilizing less oil in your dishes is superb.
FatNinja101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

My doctor recommended the Mediterranean diet. I have high blood pressure and am over weight. I have been following this lifestyle since the end of September. I have lost ten pounds and my blood pressure has improved.

A good place to get educated about the Mediterranean diet is the website, Olivetomato.com Elena Paravantes, RDN has a cookbook that is featured on the website, otherwise she is not selling anything other than good health through diet, a bit of Greek/Mediterranean culture and love of the good life.

the food is all easy to find at almost any store. Since the pandemic, I have been ordering my groceries at Walmart because I can pick it up curbside. They have everything I need, including kalamata olives and US version of Feta cheese!

the general idea is lots of veggies, fish, whole grains, legumes and the ever magical extra virgin olive oil.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:32 PM   #10  

Yikes, I see I have been a member here since 2005. I’m a bad example, but I keep trying. I am 78 years old now.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:18 PM   #11  

Default I Need help losing weight thinking about keto any suggestions

Hey everybody

the Mediterranean diet sounds like a good option as well for dieting. im thinking of giving a try. right now i'm on the keto diet its helping me loose my belly without giving up taste just like the Mediterranean. if your interested in seeing results . email me
LilTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:23 PM   #12  

Default hey joe

hey joe, i agree that some of the low carb diets are hard to stay on board with and i believe thats because that the keto diet is not to stay on for life but rather a diet to turn to burn fast and maintain whats left. im interested in the med diet to. but i think after u reach your point of no gain no lost .turn to the balance diet and work out and then for 3 months of the year try keto. if u need some recipes you can email me bro i have links for recipes
LilTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:12 AM   #13  

the Mediterranean diet sounds like a good option as well for dieting. im thinking of giving a try.
Simonny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 04:13 AM   #14  

I think it's will be cool
Simonny9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #15  

I am 79 now. Time flies. Today is exactly 1 year that I have been following the Mediterranean/Greek diet. I have lost 26 pounds and it was relatively painless.