Old 12-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias — #17

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, it’s 50 degrees, and NO wind is blowing. Love this mild weather we’ve been having but can’t help wonder when “winter” is going to hit. I am feeling a bit frazzled! I had to rearrange church counting to a different day because my co-counter is gone for three weeks. The other person only works three days a week and not all day. She really doesn’t want to help count but is the only one who knows the routine. We have concerts Monday night in Sioux City and Tuesday night in Sioux Falls. Amanda has been diagnosed with Stage Zero breast cancer and is having a lumpectomy on Wednesday with six weeks of radiation to follow. The good news is they couldn’t find the spot on her MRI after the biopsy. No symptoms and it was found on a mammogram. Now I have a funeral to add to the mix; the husband of a close P.E.O. friend who has been in Hospice since June. I am Mrs. Courtesy Committee so in charge of arranging a meal for the family on Monday night. Funeral is Tuesday morning. I am making the casserole and will get it to another friend to deliver. Bob caught another possum late last night! Fixed him a peanut butter sandwich and cut up another apple! He spent the night in the cage on the patio and I felt sorry for him. He went to his new home this morning and I hope he hooks up with the other one.

I have laundry in the dryer to fold and put away so better get moving. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #2  

Good Afternoon! It was very dark and foggy this morning when we left for church about 7:15. The sun came out for about 30 seconds around noon; it’s that damp cold outside. We played three pieces at church this morning; Silent Night with the organ, The First Noel with bass chimes (myself and three others) having the melody in most of it, and Christmas Bells during the offering. At least all three were in the same 3/4 time which rarely happens when we play more than one piece. I was in charge of getting the offering locked up and then we served coffee with another couple until just before second service started. This afternoon I put together two casseroles for the funeral family. I’m ready to relax before I do dishes again.

It doesn’t look like the kitchen fairy is going to do my dishes so better get at them. Enjoy your evening and have a marvelous Monday tomorrow!
Old 12-18-2017, 07:54 AM   #3  

Good morning to you all. Had a busy weekend and forgot all about posting. It is chilly this morning and foggy so I hope Jack doesn't have problems as these noodleheads drive crazy even in heavy fog. It is usually really heavy out by the plant.

Jack cracked a rib fooling with the new bed so now he is sore. It isn't super serious, just takes time to heal and it isn't causing him breathing problems, just sore for him.

The new bed is up and going and wonderful. It is like having two separate beds as the heads of each bed are separate so you can raise each side to the height you want. I figured out mine and the firmness setting and went right off to sleep, which is unusual for me. I would have slept through the night except I kept getting hot and I would throw off the blankets and then get cold and back and forth. Jack said he got hot too, so am going to take the electric blanket off for now. Our new comforter will keep us warm I think.

We did commissary shopping yesterday and I actually found a ham small enough for us to have for Christmas dinner without a huge amount of ham left. They had a small 4 lb spiral sliced. I am going to make augratin potatoes, corn and yeast rolls. I am making Jack some fudge, toffee and sugar cookies so he can have them for dessert.

Jack has Friday off since they always get Christmas Eve off and it is on Sunday this year. I have a mammogram appointment that day, then I will be done with tests etc for another year as I already got my flu shot. I have to make a doctor appointment next month then should be done for a few months. Looks like Tricare may be dropping my practice as in network as of January so after the January appointment he is going to have to wait to see me until September when I go on Medicare. I am not changing doctors, don't really need to go in every three months like he wants me to and am not paying for an appointment. If I get dinged for the January appointment I will pay the out of network costs, but that's it. I guess to save money Tricare dropped the south region and combined it with east now having only two regions and looks like they dumped a good percentage of doctors here.

Jean: Oh my, I hope they can eradicate any cancer that is dormant or whatever from Amanda. I know it has to be scary for you all even if it is very, very low. What is cherry salad?? I love cherries. They are one of my favorites. When does the group quit playing bells every year? I know you only do it fall and winter. I am sure it was lovely. We went to a bar/restaurant that is popular here and they were playing Christmas music, which is unusual. It is usually anything from 60's to 90's music. So I am enjoying it when we are halfway through dinner and back comes the rock and roll.

You gals have a good week this week. Get all those presents wrapped. I am sending out the boys cards and money today after I get my nails done.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #4  

Good Morning! The sun just came out! The weatherman said we will have snow on Thursday, 7”! I have been to the bank with the gift shop deposit and WM with a list. They are moving things around again so I couldn’t get in and out as fast as I would have liked. I have laundry in the washer and dryer so they are humming away. I have to make a grocery store stop after lunch; I need to double check some recipes. I really need to vacuum but maybe tomorrow. We have Maddy’s concert tonight. I had told her we probably couldn’t come because I have card club so she will be surprised. I just feel we need to go since her other ignorant grandparents won’t. I’m not sure if her dad will go since he is still pretty sore from his shoulder surgery.

“Gma,” I’m glad your new bed arrived and you like it, but sorry about Jack getting hurt. I love my electric blanket! Amanda was encouraged by the fact the so-called lump didn’t show up on the MRI. Being a nurse I’m sure she knows more than the average lay person. We play bells October through April. We used to play Sept. through May but switched practice rooms and it is so hot in there during the late summer months. We dropped May when most of us had kids in high school because of Mother’s Day, prom, graduations, and then summer weddings. Now we work around one gal who leaves for a month in the winter and a couple of us who just leave for a couple weeks. I have a car radio channel and a tv channel that play Christmas music. I really enjoy the”old” Christmas carols. Kids, today, don’t learn them like we did.

It’s time to change laundry loads so better get moving. Hope you enjoy a nice day!

Last edited by Jean; 12-18-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:25 PM   #5  

Good morning ladies. Jack came home from work early yesterday in pain and had a dr appointment this morning so have been trying to nurse him in between. Thankfully, doctor says it is acute muscle strain so she gave him a prescription for a muscle relaxer and gave him some instructions. He is going back to work tomorrow, so I hope he doesn't strain it further. It is doubtful as everyone pretty much took vacation time and hardly anyone will be there.

I am having one of my bad days today for some reason so am sticking close to home. I want to start on a couple Christmas treats, but just don't feel like it. Maybe I can tackle them tomorrow.

Jean: I have Sirrius in both cars and I enjoy all the different channels too. We also have something similar on our tvs. So we can listen to the carols if we wish. You going to Hawaii in February, right? Hope you have a good time next year. We canceled our cruise for next year. Well, we actually moved it. We booked it for a couple years out as we are taking my best friend as a surprise. She's had a hard year with her husband's death and those deadbeats living with her. Her work is getting harder for her to do so I thought a nice vacation so someplace she could never afford now would be a great surprise. We are going on a ship where we booked a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom suite so she can have her own private space and bathroom. It will be great fun I think.

Well gals, I need to go. Jack should be back home in just a bit and I need to find something to have for lunch for him.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #6  

Good morning. I am all comfy, sleeping in my new bed and sleeping in. Jack had left for work and I snuggled down to snooze until 7 or so and got woke up at 6:10. A friend in Indiana I worked with at the law firm posted a picture of the new house she bought. Not sure if she realized we are an hour earlier than her. Ahh well, I got up and cleaned the upstairs bathrooms and made the bed.

Jack decided to buy donuts for the plant so I guess he went by the donut shop and bought several dozen. He said a lot of people took the day off so he said it should be quiet out there today. I can see everybody drinking coffee and munching 🍩. lol

We’re doing PF Changs for Christmas Eve as we have been doing it the last 3 yrs or so and I’m baking ham for Christmas dinner. I want to make fudge, toffee, and some cookies and that’s it. I want to make a gift box up for my hair stylist and lady that does my waxing and that’s it. Hopefully, the boys got their cards/money. The day I went to the post office all the boxes were full, but I went and stuck my hand way down in it and shoved the cards down inside so they wouldn’t fall out on the ground. Gonna be quiet again this year.

Everyone have a good day and stay warm.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:23 PM   #7  

Talking

Good Afternoon! This has been a crazy few days and I feel like the hamster running in his wheel. We counted, recounted, and counted again at church yesterday afternoon from one until almost five when we both had bell practice. I went back this morning and the other gal has misread a $160 check as $100 so there was one mistake. Another was some dimwit wrote a memorial check for $50.50 which was recorded as $50. We finally balanced so I could get started on the posting. Bob picked me up for a quick sandwich lunch, and back to the church I went. I took the money to the bank and, of course, the $100+ in change counted differently in their counter. I finally finished and headed home about 2:30 and in freezing mist. I think the rest of the week is mine, until Christmas Eve church service. Bob is ushering at the 3:00 service and I thought the bells were playing but we are not. We usually go to that service so I will still go.

“Gma,” I hope both you and Jack are feeling better today. February will be here before we know it! Our friends wanted to go in January and both Bob and I feel with the Christmas holiday it was too soon. The other gal finally googled prime months for whales and it is February, then March just like I told her! The only bad part is we will miss a few basketball games when Ian may be moved up to junior varsity. Amanda’s surgery went as planned. We took a cooler of frozen food, from her sister, and in addition I had made a casserole and peanut butter brownies. She called last night and thanked me/us, said she was tired and ready for bed. She has to wait six weeks to start radiation. I hope your grandsons will call and thank you for the Christmas money gift.

I need to drag out the vacuum and chase dust bunnies. Ernie must be hanging on to his fur for warmth! Enjoy the rest of the day!

Last edited by Jean; 12-21-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:05 AM   #8  
Short & Sassy

Morning everyone! I can't believe the week has gone by & this is the first time I've been in here. Been a busy week. Did some baking. I always make mini loaves of pumpkin bread to give to family & friends. Then made some sugar/cinnamon pecans for gifts as well. Took the grandchildren shopping to get gifts for their folks & then helped them with wrapping. Before I knew it, the week is gone!

GMA: So glad you're enjoying your new bed! What did you get again? Hope you & Jack are feeling better. That's so sweet of you to take your friend on a cruise. I'm sure she'll enjoy it. Not sure what we're having for Christmas Eve dinner. I'm fixing a prime rib for Christmas Day.

Jean: Did the possum get a new home? He'll be so happy out in the wild. You've had a busy week too, I see. You can keep the snow! They're calling for snow showers here on Christmas Eve.

Well, if I don't get back here before the holiday, I want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas!
Midget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 12:28 PM   #9  

Good morning. It is warm but lots of thundershowers and I have to get out at 1 and get my mammogram. Ugh!

Jack’s off today so he’s just relaxing. His side is getting much butter, but he picked up his meds and pd $14 for about 5 Advil that were 800 mg. I told him I would have refused them and only taken the muscle relaxers. I always have a bottle of Advil on hand. The drug prices have tripled I noticed.

Sandy: We bought a sleep number bed. We love it. We loved the other one but it was a queen and not wide enough. We also got a flex king which means each side goes up and down independently so I can sleep sitting up and Jack doesn’t have to. Our other bed, the whole top went up and down in one piece. The sheets for the thing are almost $300 per set though. Glad you have your baking done. I am making candy tomorrow I think.

Jean: Thanks for the recipe! What a pain to have to go over and over stuff. Hope your Christmas eve service is nice.

Everyone have a great weekend. Merry Christmas if I don’t get back in here.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:09 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon! Our sun has disappeared and the snow is still on the ground. I have been wrapping, wrapping, and wrapping some more. Next year I will wrap as I buy . . . . famous last words! Also accomplished some more laundry so I am caught up there except for ironing a church shirt for Bob tomorrow.

Sandy, this has been a busy week for sure! I make a gum drop bread but have never made mini loaves because I was afraid I would either bake them too long or not long enough. I don’t remember if I shared this or not, but Bob has two adult possums and two younger possums to his credit. He takes them to the country and lets them go by farm fields and a stream.

“Gma,” it seems like prescription prices have increased recently, like everything else that is necessary. I’ve been looking for loafers. I had a pair of Eastland which lasted forever. Shoe stores in our area don’t carry the brand any more and looking online, they are nothing like my old ones. Shoes have gone sky high and I refuse to pay over $100 for shoes of any kind. I have my fingers crossed that this Sunday’s offering (there will be six separate money bags) will balance!

Well, I need to get back to wrapping! Tomorrow will be two church services for us, and fixing food to take on Christmas Day. Merry Christmas to you and your families. May your Christmas be special!

Last edited by Jean; 12-23-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:25 PM   #11  

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it is warming up . . . to maybe 3 degrees today. It was -12 when we left Sioux Falls this morning and is now 0 here. We had a very nice day with the kids and grandkids yesterday. The best gift was being with family and not having to get our house and all the food ready.

Bob has been fighting a cold and is taking a nap before he checks in at the office. It is officially closed today but he is waiting for the home office to send some information he needs. I have some laundry to do and then finish putting gifts away. Hope you all are enjoying a nice day!
Old 12-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #12  

Good afternoon. It is 38 here and I am freezing. Hearing other people’s temps, it’s warm.

We had a quiet day yesterday. I fixed dinner but that’s about it. Jackson called me this morning to thank me for his money, but I was in the middle of melting chocolate so only talked to him a few minutes. Hopefully, Thomas got his money.

I have a hair appt on Saturday but nothing until then. I need to make up a little Christmas box for her. I made toffee and fudge and cookies and bought her a Starbucks gift card.

Jean: Looks like the kids had fun. What is gum drop bread? Hoping you can balance first time. I buy what they call driving loafers. They’re the most comfortable for me. Shoes are ridiculous, I agree.

Have good afternoon everyone.

Last edited by gma22; 12-26-2017 at 02:41 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:13 AM   #13  
Short & Sassy

Morning ladies! It was 4 degrees when I got up this morning with a wind chill of -9. Going all the way up to 19 today! I'm just so thankful we don't have all that snow that some areas have. We got about an inch on Christmas Eve which gave everyone their white Christmas. Didn't do much of anything around here Christmas Day other than cook dinner. Daughter & her family stopped in for a bit.

GMA: Your new bed sounds divine! I did a sleep study a couple of years ago & the place had sleep number beds. I was mighty comfortable at 45. How's Jack's side doing? Glad you heard from Jackson. Hopefully, you've heard from Thomas by now. Your hair girl will definitely love her goodie box!

Jean: Yes, I'm curious about the gumdrop bread too! You have snow on the ground? Saw on the news this morning that Erie, PA got 63"! How's Bob feeling?

Time for this gal to get busy. And oh, I wonder if Susan's okay?

Have a great day!
Midget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #14  

Good Afternoon! It was warmer this morning, 5 degrees above 0! The sun is shining and no wind blowing so it looks warmer outside than it really is.

I made the gift shop deposit first thing this morning and then headed to the hospital for the scholarship presentation. Our neighbor gives six $1000 scholarships in addition to the four the hospital gives. The six are in memory of our neighbor’s wife who was a big volunteer at the hospital. She was also the one who hated cats! Then I went to the grocery store for bread and milk, $68+ later I came home with several bags.

“Gma,” I’m glad you heard from Jackson. Beth’s husband likes to make candy and snacks, so they brought extra to share on Christmas Day. If I make it I eat it and we don’t need it! It’s nice of you to share with your hair stylist. Gum drop bread is just a sweet bread using cut up red and green gum drops. My mom used to make it and I haven’t made it for several years. My gumdrops were dry I thought, and felt “old” even thought the expiration date was June, ‘18.

Sandy, I am ready for spring! We were so spoiled with the mild weather lasting for so long! We have enough snow to cover the ground and no signs it will melt any time soon. We are supposed to be even colder over the weekend. I didn’t think the gumdrop bread (described above) turned out all that great. But then nothing I fix tastes as good as what I remember my mom making. Bob has that tickle cough that once he starts he needs a drink of water or a cough drop. I heard the ER was really busy with the respiratory flu over the Christmas weekend. I noticed a lot of coughing at church, made me nervous. We are shaking hands again and I don’t like that during the cold and flu season.

I have to clear off my kitchen counter and put away what I bought this morning. I’ve been sorting through birthday cards for church and need to update that list. Also could vacuum and dust, maybe tomorrow. Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 12-28-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:18 AM   #15  

Good morning ladies. I have obviously been remiss in posting. Either that or it went into cyber space, who knows??

I am making a small batch of frosted sugar cookies to add to my hair stylist’s box then need to get it wrapped to take tomorrow. She has a son a few years younger than Thomas so I imagine he’ll like the stuff. My toffee turned out perfect. Thank goodness for hubby helping to stir. It takes about 25 minutes of constant stirring and towards the end it has thickened and is even harder to stir. I then melted milk chocolate chips and spread over the top and sprinkled crushed cashews over the chocolate. Jack loves it. lol

I am making chicken and noodles for dinner tonight. I think I’ll put a batch of yeast rolls on to raise to go with. Nice comfort food for the cold weather.

Jack decided he wants to go to Raffertys for prime rib new year’s eve, but we won’t be going late. He just wanted to go out to dinner new year’s eve. lol

Jack thinks I have bursitis in my shoulder so guess I’ll be talking to dr when I go. It has become chronic pain now so I have to do something. It is my left shoulder and that’s my dominent hand, which makes it worse. I can’t knit either because of movement back and forth. I can’t raise my arm without pain or even move it back and forth. It feels like the bones are popping back and forth. Miserable. Stinks to get old.

Sandy: We got down to teens but so far that’s it. We haven’t had precipitation of any kind. It looks like we may in another couple weeks though. I sure hope not. The nuts come out and I worry about Jack driving with them. Javkson is 10 and I ask him what he got for Christmas and he said a video game. I am sure that’s not all he got but that obviously was the most important. We send the boys $200 apiece for Christmas and I ask him what he was going to do with all that money, (He got $100 from us for his bday in June, then $50 for Halloween) and got the standard, “Uh, I don’t know.” Geez, if I got that kind of m9ney when I was a kid I’d have a whole list. Thomas is a saver.

Jean: I had never heard of gum drop bread. Is it more of a quick bread or a yeast bread? Guess you should carry a small hand sanitizer in your purse and as soon as the hand shaking is done, use it. I guess the respitory flu is bad this year and resistent to the flu shot. Ugh! I got you beat. I go to my nail salon inside WM to get just my nails done and come home with groceries! lol Though $68 probably aren’t much groceries.

Well, need to get the chicken in the crockpot. You all have a nice weekend. It is commissary weekend for us.