Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2017, 10:34 PM   #1  
Focus & Determination

S/C/G: 158.5/143/125

Height: 5'8"

Smile 2018 Teamwork for Success!!!

It's a New Year 2018!!! Time for some real changes.

Let's work together to reach our goals for a more healthy body, mind, and lifestyle. We can do this together and help each other stay on track and be accountable. Weigh-in will be once a week on Saturday. Goal is to work towards 1-2 lbs a week weight loss.

If you are serious about making some changes, then you are welcome to join us on this effort.

We will:
  • share ways on obtaining better eating habits and foods.
  • share ways on staying active to get and keep our bodies healthy
  • encourage each other to stay strong and on track.
  • help keep each other accountable for our decisions.
Let's get going and reach that goal. This is the year. The time is now. No more delays. Make it happen!!!
Old 01-01-2018, 06:32 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 226.4/224.4/175

Height: 5'10"

Here we go....2018 time to get healthy!
Old 01-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #3  
Focus & Determination

Happy New Year!!!

Exercise
2 hour walk
30 minute walk

Meals
Clementine
Slimfast
Blueberries/Gruyere Cheese
Veggie Casserole
Mock Fish bites with lettuce

Looks like we both have some work to do. Glad to have you here to work on this together. Did you have a good New Year's Day? We did, but I still had some goodies left over from the holidays. My husband quickly gobbled them down. So now the cupboards are ready to forge forward providing only good choices.

It is back to work for me tomorrow. Made some veggie soup and a veggie casserole to bring in for lunch this week. Got to stick to the diet and exercise plan.....have a good Tuesday!

Last edited by Corinna T; 01-01-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:40 PM   #4  

Exercise
1 1/2 hrs. morning barn chores
1/2 hr. evening barn chores

Meals
oatmeal with blueberries
banana
chicken soup
fruit cup, pork & sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, corn

It was -4 when I went out to the barn this morning. ...brrrr

Watched the Mummers and Rose Bowl parades. Tomorrow I'll start putting the Christmas decorations away.

We had a quiet News Years eve. I actually stayed awake to see the ball drop!

All our goodies are gone. I am really going to watch my portion size. That's my main problem. And no more snacking mindlessly.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:42 PM   #5  
Focus & Determination

Exercise
2 mile walk
10 flights of stairs ( 3 times)
30 minutes Beginner Zumba with Hubby

Meals
Slimfast
Blueberries
Clementine
Veggie Soup
Celery
Slimfast

Yikes -4 is frigid. What is the weather going to be for you on Thursday. The radio announced tonight expect to have -5 to -15 for our area. My guess is you will then have -15 to -25. I hope you stay warm.

Our office had all kinds of left over treats. I did a good job of avoiding them today. Had my own food so I did well. Got to stick to it.

Put away my outside decorations on New Year's Day, much to my husband's relief. The inside ones will be up a bit longer. Maybe next weekend I will put them away.

Wishing you a warmer Wednesday! Stay strong!

//////////////////////////////////////

5 Surprising Facts About Willpower
By Joy Manning
From the WebMD Archives
https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/willpower-facts#1

If only you had more willpower, you would easily stick to your diet or exercise program, right? Nope.

It turns out you need a lot more than willpower to do things like that. It's not just about self-control. In fact, willpower might be the most misunderstood of virtues. Once you get wise to how willpower works, you'll know how to use it, why it can go off the rails, and how to get it back on track.

What Is Willpower?

The American Psychological Association calls willpower "the ability to resist short-term temptations in order to meet long-term goals."Using willpower sometimes means not doing something, like skipping that second slice of cake you really want. Or it may call for a delay, like having a cooling-off period before you buy something that wasn't in your budget. Willpower can also be about taking positive action, like working out as you had planned, though you really don't feel like it.

These five truths about willpower will change how you think about and use this inner resource to help meet your goals.

1. Your willpower is like a piggy bank.

Just like dollars in your bank account, your willpower is in limited supply. On any given day, you should budget your willpower so you have it when it counts. For example, if you plan to hit the gym after work, pack a lunch. You may not have the wherewithal to resist pizza for lunch and also work out on your way home. One thing can lead to another -- in a good way. One of the best things about willpower, according to Marina Chaparro, RD, is that growing self-control in one area of your life leads to other positive changes. “It changes the way you think. Once someone gets back to the gym, they may also start eating better,” Chaparro says.

2. Your willpower is like a muscle.

“Many people think you’re either born with willpower or you’re not,” Chaparro says. “But that’s not true. It’s actually like a muscle you can strengthen over time.” You work out your willpower a little differently than you exercise your abs, but both routines require doing it over and over. Setting small, incremental goals that you regularly meet is the best way to boost your willpower. Much like with your body, if you overdo it by taking on a bigger challenge than you’re ready for, you won’t get stronger. You’ll just be sore.

3. Your feelings affect your willpower.

The connection between your emotions and your ability to turn down a cookie is not obvious, but it’s is definitely there. A hard day at work can limit your ability to meet goals later in the day. It's not just feelings that affect willpower. Anything that involves a lot of thinking and decision-making will make you more vulnerable to temptation later on.

4. You need more than willpower.

Willpower matters, but you’ll also need other strategies to help you keep on track. By its very nature, willpower is something that comes and goes. And it can be gone when you need it most. One of the most effective tools you can have is known as “precommitting.” It’s a technique that takes willpower out of the equation. You scrub your environment of temptations you know are likely to test you. An example of precommitting is getting rid of all your junk food and not buying any more when you are at the grocery store. A shopping list you stick to is another good habit that can supplement your willpower.

5. Willpower is a renewable resource.

You're human. Just like everyone else, there will be times your willpower runs out. But it is possible to restore your supply. Take time out for yourself as a way to recharge your willpower batteries. “If you get stressed, take a short walk,” Chaparro says. She finds that the most rejuvenating “me time” is unstructured and offers freedom from your routine. Listening to music is another proven way to help restore your willpower.

Last edited by Corinna T; 01-02-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:33 PM   #6  

Exercise

Meals
oatmeal with blueberries
banana
chicken soup
shrimp cocktail, sausage and peppers

Wasn't quite so bad this morning at 10 degrees. Thursday we're supposed to get some snow, then the coldest air of the season is coming for Saturday. I guess I'm getting used to it. I dress in layers, have a face mask and flannel lined jeans, so I stay pretty warm.

I put away most of the inside decorations. Still have the tree to take down. I'll probably do that tomorrow. The outside decorations will need to wait till we have a spring thaw. Most of them are anchored in the ground.

Have a good Wednesday!

Last edited by Renee3; 01-02-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #7  
Focus & Determination

Exercise
2 mile walk
10 flights of stairs twice
30 minutes stretching

Meals
Slimfast
Blueberries
Clementine
Veggie Casserole
Pecans

I guess we will see tonight what the weather brings us. I may just stay off from work tomorrow and avoid the road. Depends on how bad it is or suppose to get.

I saw an advertisement for the new 911 show. I would watch it but it comes on at 9PM I think. Too late for me. I am an early bird. Perhaps I can watch it on-line later at the TV's website.

Another day of eating in moderation. Still lots of cookies and treats left at work. I hope someone takes they home soon. They can't be good sitting out for so long. They are not tempting to me because they are old, so no problem there.

Here is an inspiring story below, so I would like to share it with you.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////

10 Weight Loss Tips That Work

Roberta Messner shares how she lost almost 100 pounds--and kept the weight off!
by Roberta Messner - Posted on Jan 3, 2017
https://www.guideposts.org/better-li...tips-that-work

How did it ever come to this? I wondered aloud. I’m 55 years old and shopping for a scooter to help me get around! I was distraught by how I’d let my joints get so bad, carrying all of this extra weight, but I knew I needed that scooter, so I swallowed my despair and ordered a red one. Might as well have one that matches my nails and purse, I decided.

That’s when my doctor remarked that if I lost some weight I might be able to avoid that scooter. But I needed to lose nearly a hundred pounds. I’d tried every crash diet and none of them seemed to work—not for long, anyway. And I really never lost that much weight on any of them.

I mentioned this to my sister-in-law Ellen and she insisted that if I was really serious about this weight loss thing, she would be my cheerleader. Ellen has incredible energy and passion so, embarrassed as I was, I decided to take her up on it. My progress was slow-I only lost 45 pounds in the first year-but I lost an amazing 94 pounds by the end of the second year. Here are some of Ellen’s favorite tips that helped me keep the weight off for good:

1) When starting out, change only one habit at a time. After reviewing my habits, Ellen remarked that it was when I was eating that was more of a problem than the amount of food I consumed. So the first habit I changed was not eating anything after 6 p.m. Three weeks later, I had lost three whole pounds! I couldn’t believe it.

2) Be patient and appreciate small changes. Starting small was the answer for me. I've seen people who go on radical diets and might lose 5 pounds in one week, not three pounds in 3 weeks. Don't let slow weight loss discourage you. If you want to lose weight and keep it off, changing your habits for the long haul makes a difference. So be patient and stick to your plan. (It’s amazing to contemplate, but eliminating only one can of pop a day can result in a 25 pound weight loss in a year.)

3) When weight loss stops, change another habit. When I hit a standstill, Ellen had me replace my two daily soda pops (260 calories each or 520 calories) with bottles of water and cut down on bread. (I’d eat my evening grilled cheese sandwich with only one slice.) In a week, I’d lost another pound. Then another and another. My blood pressure dropped 20 points and I was down a dress size by the end of a month, my joints weren’t so sore, and I was moving more. This was incredible for me. I followed these habit changes again until I stopped losing. Then I added a new habit change. I didn't give up on the old change, I just added another one. This time I swapped yogurt for a candy bar until once more I didn’t see the numbers change on the scales. Ellen promised that sooner or later, the weight would come off because I was consuming fewer calories, eating the right things, and walking more. It was simple science.

4) Toss out your fat clothes for good. As I saw those numbers change, I got rid of elastic-waist slacks and too-loose skirts and replaced them with chic clothes from the consignment store in town. As I lost, I kept trading up, or should I say down. I discovered another fabulous life strategy: Shop the bargains at consignment stores to put your wallet on a diet too. Many of their offerings are new or nearly new.

5) Eat what you want--in small amounts. I didn’t deprive myself of anything while on Ellen’s plan. If I was at a birthday party, I allowed myself a few bites of cake. That kept me from feeling different from the people around me, which had plagued me on other crash diet plans.

6) Journal your intake. This made me more accountable and helped me to understand food and drink issues that were interfering with my success at weight loss.

7) Find an exercise you love. I couldn’t exercise in the beginning because of mobility issues, but after I’d lost 20 pounds, I discovered my back pain was less of an issue. So I phased in walking, an activity I enjoy that also sparks my creativity, as a writer.

8) Engage a weight loss buddy. At work, Rita was trying to shed a few pounds too. Whenever I’d hit a plateau, the two of us kept each other encouraged in the heat of the workday. We also shared healthy food choices when eating out.

9) Substitute fruit for fruit juice and stock up on low-calorie favorites Apples and oranges have more fiber than their juice counterparts and increase your feeling of fullness too. If you've got low-calorie snacks you like at home, this will keep you from going out to eat for snacks which contained more sugar and fat. By doing this, I also decreased my bread consumption by 75%.

10) Use a smaller plate. I love antique red transferware so I used a red transferware dessert plate for meals instead of a standard plate. I found I ate much less and enjoyed the experience of eating much more.

Eight years later, I’m down more than 90 pounds. And that scooter? Mysteriously, it never arrived. The medical equipment store says my order somehow got canceled. I say God intervened so I would experience Ellen’s painless, life-changing plan.

Last edited by Corinna T; 01-03-2018 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:22 PM   #8  

Exercise

Meals
oatmeal with blueberries
banana
salad
apple
chinese stirfry

We're in for some bad weather tomorrow. Not supposed to get much snow but the wind will be howling. Guess you'll get some of this coastal storm too. Stay safe!
Old 01-04-2018, 06:56 PM   #9  
Focus & Determination

Exercise
15 minute walk
15 minutes stretching

Meals
Slimfast
Clementine
Hard boiled egg, quinoa salad
Celery
Pecans
Taco Salad

Well we got the winter blizzard today. Stayed home and started putting some of the Christmas decorations away and sorting through and getting rid of old paperwork. Just an easy day at home. Played the Powerball lottery last night hoping to win the big jackpot, but didn't. I'm not a big gambler. I may play a lottery only once or twice a year for fun. It was fun playing and dreaming for the day anyway. Hope you have a great Friday!

The first few days can be rough dieting! This comic sums it up as to how it feels at first.

Last edited by Corinna T; 01-04-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:10 PM   #10  

Exercise

Meals
oatmeal with blueberries
banana
tomato soup
salad, spanish rice, peas

We didn't get much snow but the wind was wicked. I guess it will be bad tomorrow and Saturday. I keep the horses in when it's so windy. Thay don't mind as long as they have plenty of hay to munch on. I just putzed around the house doing odds and ends.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 PM   #11  

Exercise

Meals
oatmeal with blueberries
banana
chicken soup, hard boiled egg
popcorn
leftovers

Another cold day and tomorrow is going to be colder yet. Went grocery shopping. The roads were mostly clear. Looking forward to the warm-up next week.

Hope our scales smile tomorrow!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:36 PM   #12  
Focus & Determination

Exercise
15 minute walk
15 minutes shoveling snow

Meals
Slimfast
Blueberries
Clementine
Veggie Soup
Small Pretzels
Bean salad

Oh so cold today. I will be glad when it gets warmer. Still sticking to my diet. Hope we both show some success tomorrow on the scale. I know we have been trying. We shall see if it paid off this week. Good luck!

Last edited by Corinna T; 01-05-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:02 AM   #13  

Drumroll please......down 4 lbs!

Last edited by Renee3; 01-06-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:41 PM   #14  

Exercise

Meals
oatmeal with blueberries
banana
chicken soup, hardboiled egg
apple
fruitcup, beef stew

Was 2 degrees went I went out to the barn.....brrrr Tomorrow is going to start a warm up. Did a bit of house cleaning and caught up on some reading.

Have a great Sunday!
Old 01-06-2018, 07:55 PM   #15  
Focus & Determination

Exercise
15 minute walk
Housework

Meals
Orange juice
Boiled egg
Veggie soup
Almonds
Veggie Pizza
Sauerkraut Chips

Oh my gosh, 4 lbs that is terrific!!!! Great job!!! Yippee!!!!
My scale says down 3 lbs. Yeah!!! We both did good this week!!! Let's keep it going!

Very cold today. We had 10 degrees at one point, and just too cold for me. I had a walk scheduled with 3 others, but backed out. I didn't want to get sick. I have been walking around in the house with thermals on under my clothes for the past few days. Just staying warm and playing it safe.

Today I took down all the rest of my Christmas decorations and packed them away. All except 2 that we use on the walls for nightlights. I sorted some out too to downsize. I will either sale them in a lawn sale or give them to the Animal Shelter thrift shop later. I know I said I was going to keep them up to February, but I needed the space to move our elliptical machine and hand weights into the living room. So the elliptical has now been moved there with my husband's help. We rearranged some of the furniture to give it a bit more space and it looks fine now and ready for use starting tomorrow.

I am so excited about our progress this week. Let's keep the motivation going.

Have a super Sunday!

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

The Importance Of A Positive Weight Loss Mindset
http://www.thinandstrong.com/positiv...-loss-mindset/

Many people don’t consider the link between a positive weight loss mindset and success. However, going around thinking ‘I can’t do this’ or ‘it’s impossible for me to lose weight’ will indirectly sabotage your weight loss efforts. After all, thoughts become actions.

A positive mindset on the other hand pushes you in the right direction each and every time. If you believe that ‘I can do this’ and ‘I will lose weight’ and then keep repeating these thoughts to yourself, you will consistently take the actions that are necessary for weight loss success.

This article takes a detailed look at the importance of a positive mindset when you want to lose weight and listing the top 4 reasons why you should have a positive mindset when aiming toward a trimmer figure.

The Top 4 Reasons Why You Should Have a Positive Mindset for Weight Loss Success

1 – A Positive Weight Loss Mindset Improves Your Dietary Choices

Making consistent positive dietary choices is something that many people struggle with when trying to lose weight. However, this is largely because of their negative thoughts and mindset. If you have a negative mindset when making dietary choices, you will experience temptation, emotional frustration, overeating and crushing disappointment. A negative mindset will make you feel resentful about having to eat healthy foods to lose weight and when this occurs, you will seek out unhealthy food to comfort you.

A positive mindset on the other hand helps you to approach your diet with empowering thoughts. Instead of thinking about what you cannot eat and what foods you have to give up, you will think about the exciting foods and recipes you can try. You will also start to think about all the weight loss possibilities that will open up to you as a result of sticking to your plan.

2 – A Positive Weight Loss Mindset Boosts Your Workout Performance

Your mindset also has a significant impact on your workout performance and success. With a negative mindset, you’ll find that you dread every workout and won’t perform at your peak. Over time, this will be detrimental to your weight loss efforts and limit your overall success.

When you have a positive mindset, you will find yourself performing to your maximum potential most of the time. This will accelerate your weight loss results and allow you to achieve your goals in the fastest possible time. In addition to this, even during the times when you do not witness immediate results from your exercise, you will not be discouraged as you will know that every workout is helping you achieve your long term weight loss goals.

3 – A Positive Weight Loss Mindset Allows You To Enjoy The Journey

When you have a negative mindset that makes you feel depressed, upset, stressed and dejected during your weight loss journey, your energy levels will be depleted and you will begin to feel tired, sluggish and unfulfilled. Not only is this detrimental to your weight loss progress but it also makes it difficult to enjoy the process of losing weight.

If you change your attitude to one of fun and optimism, your energy levels will pick up and you will begin to enjoy your entire weight loss journey. You’ll look forward to trying new exercises, enjoy experimenting with new healthy recipes and have an amazing time losing weight.

4 – A Positive Weight Loss Mindset Reduces The Impact Of Setbacks

No matter how much effort you put into losing weight, there will always be times when you fall of the wagon and experience setbacks. With a negative attitude, these setbacks can derail your weight loss efforts and cause you to make more of them than is necessary or even quit altogether.

A positive mindset minimizes the impact a setback has on your weight loss journey. Instead of thinking that your weight loss routine is never going to work and that you are wasting your time, you’ll accept each setback as it comes, learn from it and move forward.

Summary

I hope this article has shown you exactly why a positive weight loss mindset is so important. The attitude that you carry with you can literally make or break your weight loss journey. So if you’re not doing so already, start focusing on positivity today and let it guide you to future weight loss success.

Last edited by Corinna T; 01-06-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Closed Thread