Closed Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 06:14 PM   #1  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Talking Good info on h2O...there is so much conflicting info out there

This was taken from a news letter I get from the SOBE diet called The Daily Dish!

The Word on Water

Dr. Agatston (author and creator of SOBE, and cardiologist too)always says it's more important to drink when you're thirsty instead of obsessing over how many glasses of water you drink each day. A new report from the Institute of Medicine backs this up even more: The study shows that most Americans do a pretty good job of keeping themselves hydrated throughout the day without counting glasses.

On average, women require 2.7 liters of water each day and men require 3.7 liters. Athletes and people who live in warmer climates may have increased water needs. You can tell you're not getting enough water if you develop increased thirst, dry lips and mouth, headache, fatigue, and darker urine. While getting too much water is not as much of a concern, it is possible to go overboard—some endurance athletes drink so much water that they effectively dilute their blood, putting themselves in danger of developing disorientation and nausea (and even risking death). Luckily, this is a rare occurrence that should not overly concern the average person.

To make sure you get just the right amount of water, let your thirst guide you. And remember that coffee, juices, sodas, and milk all contribute to your daily water intake, as do fruits and vegetables.

Last edited by Monkeybabies; 02-26-2004 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:48 PM   #2  
missaprylj

Sweet.

Old 02-27-2004, 12:36 PM   #3  

Just a caution on soda....caffeine is a diuretic, so it has a dehydrating effect (so does coffee and caffeinated tea). Coke & Pepsi are caffeinated (Regular & Diet). I think that Mountain Dew is also caffeinated in the US, but not in Canada. I remember reading an article that said that the regulations for adding caffeine to soda (or pop - if you're Canadian!) are different in the US & Canada. Not too sure how it works elsewhere in the world.
Old 02-27-2004, 03:17 PM   #4  

No caffeine in MT Dew in Canada? Hubby would go crazy....lol He drinks it if he needs to stay awake for something!
Old 02-27-2004, 10:15 PM   #5  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

The problem I see with this:

If I only ate when I was hungry, I'd be thin. If that's so screwed up from years of bad habits, why wouldn't this be?

How many times have you sworn that you're hungry and it turns out you were thirsty?

I'm not saying that there isn't such a thing as biological thirst. In fact, I think if you get to that point maybe it should be a signal that your habits are great. But I also don't just drink water because I'm thirsty. I also drink it to feel full, to rehydrate from exercise and give my body away to flush the bad things out of my system.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:42 AM   #6  
You can do it!!!!

I agree with ya Jessica Goddess!!!!! I have no answers though!
Old 02-29-2004, 04:48 PM   #7  

Love the water lets drink it up .lol
Old 03-01-2004, 02:14 PM   #8  
Plush Princess

No caffeine in Mountain Dew in Canada??? Wow - that seems to be the only point people drink it here in the US!!!
Old 03-02-2004, 01:59 AM   #9  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I can't have that much water, due to my kidney disease. But I encourage the rest of you to drink my fair share.
Old 03-07-2004, 09:19 PM   #10  

I get terrible Pepsi cravings. If I'm physically thirsty I will make every excuse in the book to give myself permission to have Pepsi. I find that if I drink a big glass of water at regular intervals, I don't develop a thirst and I can go without the Pepsi. Personally I don't care for water but this is what I have to do to lose the weight.
Old 03-08-2004, 12:21 AM   #11  
You can do it!!!!

Jujubeee...why don't try maybe decaf tea, or even crystal light....those count toward your h20 goal!!!! Just some suggestions!
Old 03-08-2004, 03:27 PM   #12  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Great info, Gina! I must say that I wholeheartedly agree with Jessica.....I drink all my water (100+ oz.) for much more than simply hydration. I drink it for all the reasons that Jessica named, plus as a means of staying focused on what I'm doing, healthwise. Every sip, every 20 oz. bottle, is a reminder of my healthy priorities. I'm purifying my life, baby......
Closed Thread