Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #1  

Default Trying yet again

I have tried to lose weight many times in the past. I have very good experience with this forum, which is an amazig place and the last attempt lasted somewhat longer than it would normally do.

My go-to method was always calorie and macro counting. While it does make me lose weight, other problems keep cropping up which eventually make me quit. I want to try something different, something less defined, which won't make me obsessed with numbers (I love numbers) to the point of going overboard and having it interfere with my quality of life.

At about 180lbs I decided that as long as I don't gain any more weight, I'm actually pretty much fine. Until yesterday. I managed to sprain my knee in an accident, then I was stupid about it and tried to walk it off for a few days.
When I finally went to the doctor, the leg was really swollen from mid-thigh down to my toes, but the point still stands. I was supposed to get a knee brace. They didn't have one large enough, the largest was too small by what looked like almost 4". I'm stuck with a flimsy compression bandage that honestly doesn't do much. It's a bit of a wake up call, not to say pretty embarrassing.

I am pretty much a think first, act later person. I think a new approach is in order. Something less direct, but perhaps longer lasting. It's clear it's a lifestyle thing, continuing to be the size I am. Lifestyle arises from a mix of values, fears, beliefs, etc. Really, it's probably the best, most effective system based on the inner landscape. So, following this theory, the deepest and most worthwhile change would be achieved by altering these fundamental aspects from which life-style or even life-view stems. The added benefit is that I would not be working against myself.

The thing with analysis is that sometimes it can go in circles with personal issues. Sometimes a bit of input, or really, even the idea that others will read it, can break the circle and make it move. So I guess, the question here is: Will you tolerate a bunch of self-reflective rants which I am likely to produce in my attempt to get to the bottom of this?
Ameline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Rant away. No one is forced to read your entries and you should feel free to do what you need to do to affect change. If someone doesn’t want to read your rants, they need only click on something else. I think it’s admirable and proactive.
TheMeIwant2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #3  

Well you are here posting and only you control your fate! My main reason for my current need to lose weight is aches pains, swollen shoulders knees ankles and the desire for less pain and discomfort. At 175 it's time. I do not want to resort to medication when I can get in control
smilepretti1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #4  

Default Try, try, try again

Yes, I will read your posts. I need to be active in this matter. Lately, I haven't been physically active so I figured if I read others pursuits maybe I'll kick in gear. I also have been writing about my wanting to lose weight but little action behind the wanting. Amazing to want something but not willing to put in the necessary work. I'm trying to figure me out. So, I'll be reading, writing and replying to posts in hopes that I'll kick in and do what I need to do to get rid of this disgusting weight I gained.
TaMry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #5  

Today is a good day. I sat with hunger for much of the day, it was not so hard. I made good choices and definately feel the need to revisit my notes and journal.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:19 AM   #6  

Hi. I'm sure that you can do this - have some self belief!

Keep at it! It's always worth looking for healthy recipes and to spend just a little time on planning the week's meals ahead of time. Try to think of other rewards apart from food!

Good luck with things.
JohnMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #7  

Unlike in the past no food or dessert rewards!! I have overcome temptation more times than I can count. I had a self sabotaging thought that I turned around. I planned most meals but still need to work harder at meal planning. I am staying in the game.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:23 AM   #8  

"Unlike in the past no food or dessert rewards!! "

Absolutely! This was one of the biggest things for me and changing my mindset so that my rewards didn't include food was one of the biggest steps forward for me.
JohnMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote