Old 07-23-2017, 09:06 PM   #1  

Default Should i count calories?!?!?

I'm on day 6 of induction of Atkins and I've lost 4 lbs so far which since I'm now about 10 lbs away from my goal weight seems pretty good even though I know that whole 4lbs is most likely water weight. I'm eating consistently around 2000 calories a day and 20-25 net carbs. I've been in ketosis since the first day and I experienced a terrible Keto flu that day but since then my energy level has been good but IM STARVING. Not having carb cravings, I'm just actually hungry I'm not experiencing this wonderful "oh I don't even care to eat" crap everyone else seems to feel on Atkins I am really having a terrible time eating less than 2000 calories and not be ravenous. I guess my question is how many calories is too much for most people close to their goal weight or is it ok I'm eating 2000? I can't imagine this will continue because I lose so slowly on a normal 1200 calorie diet (think one pound per month slow) I'm just a little concerned once the water weight is done I might just maintain eating this much. What was your experience with calories and Atkins? Did u eat whatever u wanted and lose weight?
ShirleyTemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:42 PM   #2  

Default In response to low carb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyTemple View Post
I'm on day 6 of induction of Atkins and I've lost 4 lbs so far which since I'm now about 10 lbs away from my goal weight seems pretty good even though I know that whole 4lbs is most likely water weight. I'm eating consistently around 2000 calories a day and 20-25 net carbs. I've been in ketosis since the first day and I experienced a terrible Keto flu that day but since then my energy level has been good but IM STARVING. Not having carb cravings, I'm just actually hungry I'm not experiencing this wonderful "oh I don't even care to eat" crap everyone else seems to feel on Atkins I am really having a terrible time eating less than 2000 calories and not be ravenous. I guess my question is how many calories is too much for most people close to their goal weight or is it ok I'm eating 2000? I can't imagine this will continue because I lose so slowly on a normal 1200 calorie diet (think one pound per month slow) I'm just a little concerned once the water weight is done I might just maintain eating this much. What was your experience with calories and Atkins? Did u eat whatever u wanted and lose weight?
Hi' personally I haven't counted Corliss while doing low carb- why I love so much! I also love it bc I got full quick bc of all the protein! This is by far the best way for meal to drop weigh quick. Granted, as you are aware, it is water weight but I'll take it !!!
Ohiogal1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:20 PM   #3  

Height: 6-1.5

sorry, but it takes a while to get into that space where you do not feel like eating anything. I have been on this diet for 5 months, and the beginning of it was not pleasant. I felt sick all the time, tired, and slept a lot. I think it was about the 2 month mark where I could go all day without feeling hungry. Also, eating 2000 calories per day with only 20 grams of carbs? You seriously should not feel hungry on that. Possibly add more bulk, like cabbage or other keto acceptable veggies, but go high fiber. That won't add much more calories, and it will fill you up a bit more. I eat a lot of vegetables, and have been losing fairly steadily except for stalls occasionally. (When I stall, I stay on the diet no matter what, and after a while, I start to lose again).
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

When I eat paleo style, I eat until I'm full. I do not count calories. I never have. I do count carbs, to make sure I stay in the zone I want, but the reality is I simply don't overeat protein or fat- I reach satiety pretty fast on those two macros and get where I couldn't eat another bite. I do overeat carbs. So as long as I keep my carbs down, my overall calories also stay down and I lose weight.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #5  
Keto Warrior

S/C/G: 196/165/150

Height: 5'7"

You won't feel good yet..sorry. It only takes a few days for your body to go into ketosis but here's the kicker, it takes WEEKS for your body to become fat adapted (meaning effortlessly switching to burning stored fat with no periods of hunger or other lousy effects). I took a 3 weeks but I've read the average is 4. Stick with it. It's so worth it I promise.
MrsMcsMuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:14 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 203/203/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMcsMuffins View Post
You won't feel good yet..sorry. It only takes a few days for your body to go into ketosis but here's the kicker, it takes WEEKS for your body to become fat adapted (meaning effortlessly switching to burning stored fat with no periods of hunger or other lousy effects). I took a 3 weeks but I've read the average is 4. Stick with it. It's so worth it I promise.
Does this mean that the average person takes four weeks to feel well? I know I always feel ill in the beginning, so I stop the diet. Should I give it at least four weeks? I had a friend tell me it takes her two weeks.
lonestarchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #7  

Counting carbs is a stressful way to live. And this stress triggers hormones that keep you fat! So long as you are eating whole, natural, unprocessed foods, your body will figure out what it needs and when. Listen to it wisely And just because your hunger / cravings today are different to yesterday, that's OK! The body is not a machine. It has wants and needs.

Unfortunately, our stressful, polluted lifestyles are skewing our understanding of these needs. And because of the abundance of food available to us, we simply grab something to make it go away! As people have said, this "paleo" style of nutrition takes a bit of getting used to. Stick with it. Your body will adapt - using fat as fuel instead of carbs - and your energy will become longstanding and steady.

My tip: Eat when you are hungry, and eat well. Don't snack. Sometimes I have dinner at 4pm because I am hungry and if I snack it will just be additional unnecessary calories. Make sure to eat a good amount of EVOO on (almost) everything which will keep your engine running smooth
HealthWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #8  

I did an online program as well as intermittent fasting and counting calories. Basically I gathered how much I needed to eat in a day. I didn't get complicated with counting macros and all that, just calories. And I would eat in a small window through out the day, maybe a 4-5 hours window. I would finish my last meal 3-4 hours before bed, and fat was melting off.
skhatri15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 03:26 AM   #9  

Helpful, thanks!
shonritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:53 PM   #10  

I haven't counted calories, but some people do keep track of their calories
paulpriya_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:37 PM   #11  

I hate counting calories! But of it'll work... Guess i should then
Fitcoach28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 06:58 AM   #12  

i'm on lower carbs and i'm not counting exact calories but guestimate i'll be eating under 1500 per day spread over 3 meals per day.
_Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 09:30 AM   #13  

In addition to needing calories for energy, your body also requires antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. Only considering calories in a numerical sense leaves out a significant portion of what improves your health and well-being. Furthermore, eating foods that are nutritious because they are "high calorie" can make you stop counting calories.
timmothysmith01 is offline   Reply With Quote